New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart

Not Sigurd

"Well, I... would have to ask Mr Faulebrand about such matters," said Lord Verloren, sounding a mite uncomfortable himself. "To be sure, that is. I'd guess the drivers are from the village, but I'm afraid I don't take a great deal of interest in the miller's business."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar nodded. "Very well, my lord. We," Lothar's eyes flashed to Pieter, probably the least disliked by Faulebrand at this point, "will speak to the miller again." He made to rise from his chair.

"Uh, Lady Verloren." He knuckled his forehead again.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

"Thank you, Mr Fischer," said the lord, rising from his seat. "You, um, you have my thanks."

He paused, seeming to feel that some obligation on his part had been left unfulfilled.

"I... I believe it's the talk among the villagers that these robbers have come in from somewhere else," he said. "If that is the case, there might be a bounty on their heads... at the roadwardens' office in Middenheim." He fiddled nervously with his sleeve. "Of course, you would have to transport the heads, but I'm sure Hofstadter could give you a, a butt of vinegar..."

"Father," murmured Esther.

"Of course... distasteful... I apologise," said the Lord, nodding an absent-minded bow towards Illiiya. "Mr Fischer, you have my thanks... thank you and, um, good luck."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #304

Lothar's expression didn't change- either it didn't phase him, or the soldier was better at games than he let on. He inclined his head to Verloren. "I will keep it in mind, m'lord. 'Hope the rest o' your day is about nicer things."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiles, 'Thank you Lord, you have been most polite unlike some businessmen in this village...' It can't be hard to work out what he is getting at.

With a smile he moves to leave.
    Sigatar by Me

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

Seeing the visitors making to leave, Esther rose and excused herself, leaving her father to bid them goodbye. He did so with the same distracted manner with which he had received them. There was something about the way the nobleman spoke that seemed lost – like an old man, not entirely sure where he was. Mils Verloren seemed more in charge of his faculties than that, but he had an inability to hold your eye, his gaze drifting off to the middle distance as if his mind was elsewhere.

He didn’t follow them out into the gloomy entrance hall, remaining at the table instead. Closing the door behind them, Pieter found himself looking up at again at the rows of dusty portraits.

There were hurried footsteps on the landing, and Esther emerged again, looking down to see that they were still there. Descending the stairs as quickly and quietly as she could, she approached the group of them.

“Thank you so much,” she said, speaking quietly so that her father in the next room could not overhear. “You have no idea how much this means to him, not to be shamed by the miller. I beg you won’t think less of him over the money – if he could afford to pay you well, he would. Keeping this place costs all we have.”

She was carrying something wrapped in a handkerchief. Unwrapping it, she held it out to the nearest of them – it was an intricate piece of wrought silver, a pendant in the shape of a Shallyan dove.

“Please, take this. It was given to me – father won’t miss it. I think it’s worth some money.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus inwardly flinched. Breaking into a house and stealing at night was one thing, but daylight robbery such as this? That did not sit well with him.

'keep it for the moment, it would do us no good to be in possession of that only to be killed and looted by the bandits.'

he looks around at the others in the party to see if they agreed.
    Sigatar by Me

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Inside

"Ithelus," said Pieter reprovingly, "it's bad form to refuse a gift." He took the pendant and looked at it thoughtfully. "Here's what I'm suggesting. We'll take it; Shallya's favor is always a good thing to have. But if we must kill to get the job done, we'll give it back, since we clearly wouldn't deserve it."

He glanced at the others. "Everyone's fine with that?"

Outside

"No need to see that old windbag Faulebrand again, Lothar," said Pieter after closing the door behind him. "Two villagers, Kaspar and his wife Lisbeth, have been attacked by the bandits recently. They live by the mill. I was planning to ask them a few questions in any case."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-09 at 04:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #309

"Ah, good." Lothar nodded approvingly. "Then we shall have a conversation with them, I think."
    Games:

=

=

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

LCP only:

Spoiler
    Show

Sigurd gives Suster his six silver and bids him farewell. "I'll plan to see you at dawn then," he says, and heads toward the manor-house, Indigo tailing behind.

Everybody:

As the party departs Verloren Manor, they see a lone figure heading up the path from the village. By the wide-brimmed hat, the walking-stick, and the massive dog bounding behind him, it's none other than Sigurd Waite.

As he nears them, he raises a hand in greeting. Leaning on his cane, he calls out.

"Good news!" he says. "It turns out there is a villager who knows the woods. I've gotten myself a guide."

He looks from face to face, and back at Lothar. "Any luck finding employ?"

((assuming you say yes))

"Hmm. Well, I'm glad to hear it. Please let me re-introduce my own offer to you. The guide I found travels the woods regularly, every week. He knows where the beast men's old camp is, and the mounds, and he feels safe going there in daytime."

He leans in as he says that part. Earlier the party had been under the impression that entering the woods is suicidal, and he clearly hopes this new information changes things.

"He says we can get there and back in one day. I beg of you, reconsider. I know it's not the same direction as the bandit attacks, but they could be using the beast men's den as a hideout. I'd rather have you with me if we run across them. If we don't, it's only one day lost."

He smiles. "And I'm still willing to share with you what I've discovered. It will satisfy your wallet--" he looks from Lothar to Pieter "--and also your curiosity."

He leans back on his cane again. His smile is friendly, and hopeful. "What do you say?"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2011-05-09 at 10:49 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya had been the picture of politely quiet for sometime, spending the bulk of her time during the conversation over bandits and pay watching the veiled Esther in a way almost unsettling. She took her leave as the others did, managing even less a bow than the lord of the house, and did not seem to return to her senses in particular until Indigo's presence brought a sudden start from I'shara... and Illiiya suddenly felt claws in her arm.

Ahh! I'shara! Bad! She yelped, dropping the cat, which scurried behind her legs. What is this... guide? Who here has been to the beasts land?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

The initiate tried to keep his interest from being too obvious.

"Ah... we just happen to have found employment," said Pieter apologetically. "Bandit troubles. Might keep us busy for a while." But his eyes were thoughtful, even calculating. "I say that'll depend on what we find today, when we go back to the, um, place we passed on our way here. Gods willing, this matter will be dealt with quickly."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

13. - Top - End - #313

Lothar nodded slowly. "I was hoping to hire a local woodsman at any rate- and to know if the bandits are in the same region as the beasts was the first question in my mind."

He shot Pieter a sidelong glance, bearded face twisted into a smile. "I fear Pieter may explode if you don't satisfy him."

Why YES, that was deliberate.
    Games:

=

=

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd nods. "That's just the thing... I've already hired the only guide in town for tomorrow. You'll lose a day anyway if you don't come along."

He looks up at the sun, climbing in the sky. "A bit late to set off today, after all."

He looks back at Lothar. "So you may as well join me for a day. Besides, it'd be a shame if Indigo killed all the bandits herself. How would you get your bounty then?"

The glitter in his eye indicates he's kidding.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

"Every hour we wait, the trail grows cold," Pieter pointed out. "Someone will come for the bodies eventually, and the killers' tracks will be erased by the next rain. We're not planning an expedition here. I just want to see if there's any bodies we missed, besides the two we saw."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

The merchant nods again. "I don't mean to obstruct you," he says, putting his hand up in a gesture of innocence. "I have my own business this afternoon. If all you intend to do today is look at the murder site, you should have time for that."

He looks back at the elves and Lothar. "And then we could all go see this camp tomorrow. If you're willing?"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

"I certainly am," said Pieter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

We... may as well... Illiiya said in a soft voice. Now that Pieter had choosen his path she knew it was only a matter of time. But... I still wish you would reconsider.

She crouched to pet Indigo as she approached, scratching along the big dog's neck. If nothing else, perhaps the man would give up his quest at the first signs of real danger... She did not know him well, but she did not wish to see the friendly Mr. Sigurd die.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

19. - Top - End - #319

Lothar nodded. "That seems the best, aye. Meet at the inn tomorrow morning, then."
    Games:

=

=

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd beams with a relieved smile. "I'm glad to hear it. If you want to take a walk after supper tonight, I'll be happy to share with you the information I've promised."

He looks at Illiiya. As if reading her mind he says, "Don't worry about me, I'm a runner, not a fighter. Though hopefully neither will be needed, if the guide knows his business."

He tips his hat and starts to continue on his way - then pauses. "Good luck in the hunt. Ulric be with you, if it comes to that."

Then he heads toward the manor.

LCP only:
    Spoiler
    Show

Along the way I will bend down to pet Indigo and ask her to point out the woman who came to the door last night, if we see her. Once that is clear I'll knock on the door - the front door only of course :)

And then I think we can do away with the Sigurd-Only spoilers for now.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2011-05-12 at 12:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

At the front door of the manor, Sigurd was answered by the housekeeper as the others had been. Mr Waite evidently had a more respectable look to him – after explaining that he had been invited at the feast, he was admitted inside with a minimum of fuss.

Inside, the painted faces of Verlorens dead and gone gazed suspiciously down at him from their dusty frames. The lord of the manor did not leave him with them long, stooping under a low, warped doorframe as he emerged from the right of the stairs.

“Mr Waite,” he said, courteously.”Very pleased to see you. You’ve come about the, um, histories?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if you read the description of Verloren Manor's interior for the others, but if you didn't, I'm not writing it out again .

[hr]

Others

Heading back towards the living heart of the village, Lothar, Pieter and the elves struck out in the direction of the mill. As they passed close to the well, Illiiya noticed that raised voices were still audible from the direction of Faulebrand house. It was probably best to take no notice. The villagers certainly seemed to be doing so. In fact, they seemed to find the elves far more interesting: now that the day was in full swing and the adults of the village were busy, it seemed that Ithelus and Illiiya could not walk ten feet along either of Hohlesbruck’s unpaved streets without an unwashed child or three following them at a not-so-discreet distance, staring wide-eyed at their elfin visitors. Occasionally, slightly older children would chase the gawpers away with chiding shouts, and take the best gawping positions for themselves.

Pieter could see no sign of the woman he had spoken to the night before, but asking directions led them fairly directly to a cottage with a slanting roof at the eastern foot of the windmill’s hillock. The door was unbarred – knocking, Lothar pushed it gently open.

Inside, in front of a sooty little fireplace, a brown-haired woman of thirty years or so was sitting on a wooden stool, mending clothes from a pile that sat on the bare floor to her left. She looked up with a start at their entrance, seeming momentarily fearful – fear waned into mere caution as she recognised Pieter’s face.

“Mr... Hagen?” she asked. “Something I can do for you?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-05-12 at 03:36 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter discreetly motioned the Elves to stay behind and gave Lisbeth a friendly smile.

"Good morning, ma'am. We've been hired to look into the matter of the bandits who've been plaguing the countryside recently. I'm well aware that your encounter with the miscreants is probably the last thing you want to talk about, but we'd be most grateful for any details you might recall."

He not-so-subtly tucked his thumb in his belt right next to his purse.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-12 at 04:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

"Details?" asked Lisbeth. "I don't know that there's much more to say."

She turned back to her mending, looking down at the floor.

"Kaspar was taking Mister Faulebrand's wagon to Rosche, I went with him. They were waiting on the road, and they took it off us. Six or seven of them, with weapons and all."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

"No idea where they're from?" asked Pieter without much hope.

(After her answer:)

"What did they take from you and your husband, specifically?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-12 at 06:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

"I'd never seen them before," said Lisbeth. "They took my necklace, and Kaspar's knife, and the money Mister Faulebrand had given him. And the wagon."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

"The whole wagon? Did they leave by the road, or did they manage to drive the wagon into the woods?"

"About how long ago was it?"

(After her answers:)

"Thank you." Pieter opened his purse and gave Lisbeth a shilling. He was very tempted to give more, but excessive generosity would be remembered and talked about.

OOC: Pausing to let the others ask their own questions if needed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #327

Lothar piped up, although 'piped' is an inappropriate verb for someone with a baritone, asking a few details. "How far along the road? An' which way did they go, after? D'you remember?"
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

“They sent us packing,” said Lisbeth. “We didn’t see where they went with the wagon. It was three weeks ago, about halfway to the Rosche road.” She bowed her head over her work. “That’s all there is to tell. You can ask Kaspar, he’ll tell you the same.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus was tempted not to heed Pieter's sign, just to spite the revolutionary, but then thought against it. With a chuckle he turned to the grubby children stareing at him and made eye contact. Then he smiled.
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

On the Way To Kaspar & Lisbeth’s

The tagalong tail of village children froze as Ithelus turned to look at them, staring back in petrified uncertainty. The elf smiled, and the children ran.

Afterwards

Stopping back at the Heartless Man, the four intrepid travellers retrieved their gear, Illiiya leaving her cat in the care of Wulli and his wife. The mangy feline gave a token protest, but quickly dropped the pretence when faced with a saucer of milk.

A few thin clouds were beginning to spoil yesterday’s fair weather when they set out, walking past the farmhands in their fields and the men watching their livestock on the common on their way back up out of the shallow hollow in which Hohlesbruck nestled. It was a fair way’s uphill walking to the spot where they had found the bodies the previous morning, and soon the trees of the Drakwald swallowed the village behind them, contracting their world down to the narrow road and the dark forest that enclosed it.

By the time they had retraced their steps in full, the afternoon was waning to its close, and Pieter could feel the grumble of hunger in his belly. They almost walked straight past it – the corpses had been moved, and only the dark splash of dried, reddish-brown blood against a tree-trunk marked where the two men had fallen.

The road was rutted where the villagers who had come to retrieve the bodies had brought a cart, obscuring some of the tracks – the hoofprints that had led off towards the village in particular had been obliterated. The others were still visible, although they were no longer as sharp: it didn’t take long to retrace the patten of hoofprints that they had observed the day before.

A scruffy crow was still perched on one of the bare branches that overhung the road here. Looking down at the party, it voiced a single raw-throated croak and spread its wings, taking off over the treetops with a noisy flurry of black feathers...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I told you everything that was immediately apparent the last time you were here: to furnish you with more information I’ll need the specifics of how you’re investigating the scene.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb