New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart

Sigurd

"Well, um, no. They were quite... unmistakeably dead. I continued on to the village."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus gets stuck into the feast, never one to pass up free food. Collecting a plate he piles it high, and garbing a tankard of drink he moves his way over to the stranger in black, best that outcasts stick together right?

Ithelus approached the man, 'I'm guessing you're not for round these part then eh stranger?'
    Sigatar by Me

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Non m'sieur, I am not," Ribault replied, raising his glass in a genial gesture of greeting. "I am a traveller, passing through from the north. I stumbled across this... charming little village, and persuaded myself to prolong my stay."

His hooded eyes flicked over Ithelus, seeming to find the elf rather more immediately interesting than Pieter.

"I think I could ask the same about you, non? Come, sit - surely you 'ave a story to tell."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Well, um, no. They were quite... unmistakeably dead. I continued on to the village."
    Sigurd smiles and puts his hands up. "Oh, I suppose they were, of course. I--we, Mister Faulebrand and myself--saw the scene. It was heartbreaking."

He leans in with the air of curiosity and excitement that marks him as a collector of stories. "Tell us how it happened, Doctor. What were the roadwardens like? How many of them were there? Were you in the thick of it--in the spray of the blood--or did they throw themselves between yourself and the blackguards?" His eye gleams at the prospect of the tale.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

Doctor Reifennen leaned back a little as Sigurd leaned forwards, clearly a little put off by the man’s enthusiasm. He did not seem to be a man for enthusiasm at all.

“I, I... I don’t remember very well,” he said. He spoke quickly, his words tripping over each other to be free. “It was really very unpleasant, and I’d rather not dwell on it. Not when there are so many good things to be happy for around us.”

“Well said,” blustered Mr Faulebrand. “Never you worry about them, Mr Waite, I sent out a couple of men from the village to see to our departed friends. For all that they deserve it.” He struck his cup against the table for emphasis. “This should be celebration! No dwelling on dead brigands for us.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Sigurd let his enthusiasm fade into a simple warm smile. Hoisting his mug he holds it out to clink with the merchant and the doctor. "To life!" he toasts. "And many fine children."

He gives a wink in the direction of the bridesgroom and drinks his beer.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

If we're ready for a fast forward here, then this isn't super important, but if the scene is going on a bit Sigurd will make small talk with Reifennen:

*What's it like being a country doctor?
    *What brought him to Hohlesbruck (and how long has he been)?
    *Is there always so much excitement about here?
    etc.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya flinched slightly at the touch before realizing it was Lothar and seeming to calm herself. She looked embarrassed more than anything, and lowered her head as she spoke to him.

I... N-no. I just feel... I'm worried. She muttered softly, barely able to be heard over the festivities, I just keep feeling like something awful is going to happen... there were those bodies in the woods and... w-what if the rats followed us? Or... Maria's followers... Everyone else is trying to relax but I can't.... I just can't!

She clung to Lothar's sleeve tightly, images of Morsleek's in her head. Those few final moments when the seer had lost his restraint, throwing himself at her shrieking and frothing like a rabid beast. Those few, frantic moments were ones she had seen again and again in her dreams, and no amount of feasting or cheerful company could take the memory away. She clung to Lothar as if he were a buoy in stormy waters, and shook slightly as she tried to calm herself.

I... I'm sorry. She muttered softly, though unbeknown to Lothar, the apology was not directed towards him.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus slid down next to the man, nodding to Pieter. 'Evening Pieter, enjoy your day in the village.'

With a smile he addressed the stranger, 'The name's Ithelus. I'm sorry but I don't seem to be able to place your accent, where have you traveled from?'
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Bretonnia, right?" Pieter answered for Ithelus. "Been to many places, but never west of the Grey Mountains. But I knew a Bretonnian girl, once, in Marienburg. Daughter of a privateer captain."

With a somewhat dreamy look on his face, he drained the rest of his ale.

"Mr Faulebrand hired us to protect him on the road. We're not expecting to stay here long." He arched an eyebrow in polite curiosity. "If you're staying here for a while, I presume you're not on a business trip or anything of the sort, right?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

“Ah, m’sieur, you have travelled!” exclaimed Ribault, picking up his glass by the rim and taking a swig. “You are correct. Born, Bretonnian, but a citizen of the Empire by choice. I find your country more agreeable to my tastes.”

He spoke with an easy ebullience of character, but as he spoke, Pieter saw the way the man’s heavy-lidded eyes tracked his own from behind their smiling mask. He had the feeling he was being scrutinised just as expertly as he was sizing up Monsieur Ribault.

"Mr Faulebrand hired us to protect him on the road. We're not expecting to stay here long." He arched an eyebrow in polite curiosity. "If you're staying here for a while, I presume you're not on a business trip or anything of the sort, right?"
    Ribault laughed.

“For that, my friend,” he said, leaning forwards to help himself to more food, “I would need to have a business.”

He leaned back, eating from one hand and gesturing with the other.

“Non, I am like you - I think I will be moving on before too long. The village is charming, but the people are not fond of foreigners.” He caught the eye of the innkeeper’s wife and waved to her with a sudden, wolfish grin. The woman’s eyes slid sideways and she found something very interesting to be concerning herself with at the other end of the table. “Still, perhaps I will stay a little while more. Who knows – some business may come my way.”

He chuckled, and supped from the glass he had been gesturing with, wetting his black moustache.

“Mm. This is very bad wine,” he said, setting it down. “Miser’s wine. Still, you Empire fellows, you prefer your ale, oui?” He raised the glass again, lifting it to Pieter. “A toast. To fellow travellers.”

Sigurd

Making chit-chat at the high table, Sigurd fell to conversation with the doctor.

“So, what is it like?” he asked. “Being a country doctor, I mean.”

“Well, um, I’m not exactly – that is, I’ve been travelling from Altdorf. Trying to find somewhere to set up a practice, you know,” said Reifennen, quietly. “Competition in the capital is a little stiff for me. Think I would like to find somewhere quieter. But I’m really only here... passing through.” He gave a wan little smile.

“Passing through Hohlesbruck,” confirmed Sigurd.

“M-hm,” affirmed the doctor. “On my way to the eastern towns.”

“So you hadn’t heard of the village before?”

“Only by way of the map,” said Reifennen, taking a genteel sip of his drink. He lowered his voice a little. “I believe I had heard of the name of Verloren before... but they are a very old-established family, you know.”

Mils Verloren himself was sitting practically in silence, staring into the middle distance with an expression of strained good-nature as Mr Faulebrand held forth on the importance of shipping, secure shipping, mind, and how it was the duty of the Empire to see that its roads were kept safe...

“And... yourself?” asked the doctor. “What brings you to, ah, Hohlesbruck?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-04-13 at 04:59 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

This time, Pieter's smile was a bit forced. There was something unsettling about the man, but he could not quite put his finger on what. He raised his empty tankard all the same, his hand unsteady and his eyes unfocussed as if he were already tipsy. "To the unexpected," he said with a vacant grin. "That's why people like us travel, isn't it?" He pretended to drink. "Although, in my case, it's also in my blood. My mother was a Strigany, y'know," he confided with a casualness that would shock most Empire folks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Ithelus

"Ah?" said Ribault. "Ha. One would not know it to look at you."

He chinked his glass, and the wine vanished in one swift gulp.

"One would not know it at all."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

"...Thanks?" said Pieter, feigning polite surprise. "It's the eyes, innit? Pure-blooded Strigany all have black eyes. Mine are green, and it's enough t' tell I ain't Strigany. Oh, and I ain't dressin' like 'em, or hangin' out with them." As he spoke, he voluntarily made his imitation of a burgher's accent turn into an Altdorf lower-class drawl. "But 'cept fer that, folks say I favor my mother. So I s'pose m' dad, whoever he was, had green eyes. Doesn't narrow it down much, does it?"

He frowned, then grinned sheepishly, as if realizing with mild embarrassment that he had just said too much. He peered into his tankard and made a dismayed face.

"S'cuse me fer a moment..."

He lurched drunkenly to his feet to get some more ale.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there's water available, I'll fill my tankard with one half ale and (discreetly) one half water. If not, I'll just fill my tankard with one half ale. Then I'll come back quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus watches the exchange with mild curiosity. He chuckles as Pieter moves to get more ale. 'You really are a man made of cold iron.' he says, 'You've gone and completely unsettled the poor man,'

He tilts his head, 'So if you have no business what brought you through this village?'
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Pieter

Ribault watched Pieter leave with a glitter of inscrutable amusement in his eyes, pouring himself another glass. Turning to Ithelus, he gave an expressive shrug.

"Chance, m'sieur elf. Blind chance." Raising his own glass, he offered to fill Ithelus'. "But you will excuse me - when I was a child, in my country, my mother told stories of les fées, of the Fair Folk in the woods." He grinned. "They said they would come at night and steal children away, if they strayed into the wild wood when they played. They said they wove their clothes out of spider's webs and leaves."

The Bretonnian chuckled.

"You don't seem like that, m'sieur. Nor does your little friend." He nodded to Illiiya and Lothar, some distance away - Ithelus hadn't even realised the dark-haired man had noticed them. "I would be very interested in hearing your story, my friend."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding Pieter's drink - there's plenty of water.
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-04-13 at 06:03 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

I... I'm sorry. Illiiya muttered softly.
    Lothar patted her on the arm gently, and embraced her with the arm unencumbered with a mug of ale. "Don't be sorry, Ill. Isn' your fault- even Pieter's been sleepin' uneasy lately, and I keep lookin' over me shoulder."

He released her and gestured to the feast. "You should eat something. Have some wine, aye? Even if there's somethin' loomin' in our future, right now Holesbruck's a nice place." He paused, and grinned, teeth flashing in his copper-coloured beard. "Hear tell of a fine fishin' spot, looks most peaceful. We should go there tomorrow."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2011-04-14 at 07:31 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

Quote Originally Posted by Reifennen
    And... yourself? What brings you to, ah, Hohlesbruck?
    Sigurd smiles. "Business I'm afraid. I deal in antiquities, though history is my true passion. I came here hoping to collect folk-stories from the people. So far they're none to free with them, so I am starved for intellectual stimulation."

He looks the doctor up and down. "Are you staying at the Heartless Man? Or lodging somewhere?"

(after his answer)

"Well perhaps I could stop by with a bit of cordial tomorrow. It would be good to speak with a learned man after so many weeks on the road."

(after his answer)

"Though at the moment, if you'll excuse me, I think I should offer my respect to our liege. Very old-established, indeed."

Getting up, he places a hunk of meat from his plate on the ground for Indigo, then walks slowly toward the Lord.

Sensing the man is rather trying to block out the world, Sigurd dispenses with formalities.

Grabbing a free chair he plunks it between the Lord and his nearest neighbor, essentially wedging a new place in. He removes his hat and sits, bowing his head to the man.

Sigurd sips his ale, not directly turning to face the baron. But in a polite, quiet tone he says: "It's hard, isn't it."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2011-04-14 at 10:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

He looks the doctor up and down. "Are you staying at the Heartless Man? Or lodging somewhere?"
    "Mm, I believe I am lodging with, um, Mr Flycher, the butcher, for tonight," said the doctor. "Public houses are a little too noisy for me."

"Well perhaps I could stop by with a bit of cordial tomorrow. It would be good to speak with a learned man after so many weeks on the road."
    Doctor Reifennen looked surprised.

"You would be welcome, sir," he said. "Welcome indeed."

He seemed not to mind, however, when Sigurd left him in peace.

Sigurd sips his ale, not directly turning to face the baron. But in a polite, quiet tone he says: "It's hard, isn't it."
    Lord Verloren looked up, as if rather surprised to be addressed.

"...What is?" he asked, furrowing his brow in confusion.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Have I learned what his station is? Earl? Count?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Verloren
    ...What is?
    Sigurd keeps his eyes toward the table and continues in a soft tone.

"All of this. Life. We make plans, and then they don't work out. And we're supposed to act like it doesn't matter."

He turns in his chair to face Verloren for the first time. "Please pardon if I speak too freely, m'lord." He hesitates, then: "I too have lost someone I loved."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

"That was... a long time ago," said Lord Verloren. He blinked as he parsed the rest of Sigurd's sentence. "I'm sorry to hear it."

The merchant's greeting seemed to have brought him back to the waking world. He turned to face Sigurd more fully.

"...Do I know you? I don't think we've been introduced."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's just a Lord; no higher title. Hohlesbruck is pretty titchy. I suppose in the English peerage his position would be equivalent to a baronet.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

"We haven't, Lord. I'm Sigurd, Master Sigurd Waite. I deal in antiquities."

He pauses a moment to see if that fact piques any curiosity from the lord.

"It's good of you to make an appearance at this... function," Sigurd continues in his soft voice. "I suspect it would have been more pleasant to stay at the manor-house." He looks in the direction of the fort-like structure. "As an historian I have to ask, how hold is the place?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps this is a moment of ignorance on my part, but I thought "lord" was a catch-all term, and each lord would have a title of some sort, even if it is very low-ranking. Am I wrong on that?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus looks over to Illiiya, and sees Lothar getting close to her. 'Ah yes, we have a very interesting story indeed.'

He accepts the offer to fill his glass. 'And no, neither of us are folk of your woods. In some regards we are much like your kind self, we may have come from different places but the Empire of Man is most definitely our home now.'

He takes a deep drink, 'If experience has taught me anything it is not to drink on Sap, but on a night such as this who could resist? Well. I was born to two elves who were members of a traveling circus troupe, I was raised there until I left home.... I guess such as yourself I'm just wondering my friend.... wondering or running.'
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

Lord Verloren gave a slight smile - it was the first Sigurd had seen cross his face.

“Older than the record books, unfortunately,” he said. “Gilbert Verloren was the first Verloren of Hohlesbruck – he built the manor in 1414, after the Nordland settlement.” He coughed. “Of course, it’s been rebuilt a couple of times since then.”

The tall man paused.

“Are you staying in Hohlesbruck, Mr Waite?” he asked. “If your interest is history, I should invite you to visit us at home. There are many... old paintings, and chronicles and such, in the house.”

Sigurd had the impression that he was being invited more out of politeness than genuine warmth – but also that Mils Verloren was probably the kind of person who would rather go to the grave than commit a trespass against his manners.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have checked it up on Wiki. Lord Verloren is a Lord of the Manor – he isn’t entitled to any grander title.

Ithelus & Pieter

“Le cirque!” cried Ribault, merrily. “Ah, m’sieur, did they teach you tricks? There was a circus that came by my village once, when I was very young – but they did not stop at us.” He paused, seeming to reflect on some distant memory. “Per’aps it was for the best. They were an odd circus.”

Looking up the table, he leaned in a little closer, lowering his voice to a more confidential tone.

“It is quite a circus we have here, eh? The miller and his brood.” The Bretonnian puffed out his cheeks, making a stuffy Mr Faulebrand face. “Très amusant, non?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-04-14 at 05:33 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

I don't know anything about fishing... but all right. Illiiya said with a weak nod. Her tone was one of slight apprehension. You can teach me, I suppose.

She embraced Lothar for a moment, laying her head on his shoulder before giving a soft sigh and releasing him... no matter the temptation, she did not want to be the helpless little wretch anymore, unable of even tending to herself.

I'll eat something, I promise... and I'll be with Ithelus if you need me. She told him with a forced smile, Go on. I know you want to mingle with the hu- ah... people, and trade stories. I will see you later tonight. All right?

(Assuming Lothar agrees)

Illiiya gave the soldier one last smile and let him go, determined if nothing else to not be a burden. She collected for herself a touch more food, shaking her head at Indigo as the hound looked up at her expectantly.

No. You had enough already. She told him with a slight smirk. Something about animals made her feel better.

Taking her plate carefully, she left to seek out Ithelus... I'shara trailing along behind her. If he was feeling as out of place as she was here, he'd likely be glad for her company.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter came back to his seat as quickly as he could with a tankard of watery ale, eager to hear all of the conversation. He kept his face slack-jawed and vacant-eyed, but studied Ribault with the near certainty that he, too, was putting on an act. He had to learn more about him: this was a man with something to hide.

But who am I to throw stones?

"I like circuses. Not for the shows, but for the people in 'em. They're fascinating folks." He hungrily attacked the food on his plate with the help of the finely crafted dagger he had acquired in Delberz. "The shows, they're just an excuse for 'em, see. These people don't travel 'cause they need to perform... they perform 'cause they need to travel. It's a lifestyle, not a career."

.......(Pause if Ribault has something to say)

Pieter leaned back lazily and took a swig from his tankard. "Settled life is easier 'n life on the road, usually. But they say peasants in yer country ain't even allowed to leave their lord's land, an' pay more 'n half o' what they earn in taxes. Is that why you hit the road, sir? 'Cause that'd be a mighty good reason."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-04-14 at 09:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter, Ithelus & Illiiya

"You are correct, m'sieur," said Ribault, topping up his drink. "In my country, things are very different. One is either a nobleman, or one is a slave. It is intolerable for a man such as me - a gentleman born to command." He shook his head, smiling his lopsided, hungry smile. "Non, monsieur, there is no place in Bretonnia for a man like me. That is why I came here."

He looked up over Ithelus' shoulder: following his gaze, Pieter saw Illiiya approaching. The man had eyes like a hawk.

"Alors, the little elf approaches," he murmured, rising to his feet. Turning to Illiiya, he bowed low at the waist, deftly flicking his long coat out behind him. "Ma'moiselle!" he said, reaching out to take her hand and kiss it. "Dionyse Ribault, at your 'umble service."
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-04-14 at 06:53 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya gave the man the wide-eyed stare one might find across their face were a dapper young squid to pull itself from the seas and invite them to a formal dinner with it's parents. So caught off-guard was she that is verged on utterly hilarious, as her mind took several moments to decide precisely how to react to the Bretton man and his unfamiliar accent.

I... ah... Thank you. She finally muttered softly, not certain exactly what she'd blundered into here, Illiiya. Ah... Illiiya Jaelrae is my name. I came to see my friend.

She cast a desperate look to Ithelus. He was better at dealing with people than she was, and she dearly wished to avoid offending the strange man, but she had no idea how she was supposed to act.

28. - Top - End - #148

Lothar returned Illiiya's hug with a smile. The soldier then plunged back into the party, chatting freely with random people and terrifying small children.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gossip! (1d100)[36] - Fel 34

Lothar's going to ask about Captain Tricorn- why's everyone avoiding him? He also wants to know what people thing about the nobs- the local lord, not so much, as he already has Axel's opinion. But the daughter- why isn't she here? The merchant Faulebrand- why isn't *he* springing for guards instead of whining so much? The out-of-towner nobleman's son who is marrying beneath him. What's the thought on him? What's the thought on her? What's the thought on them together?

Eventually Lothar will make his way over to the young man and -somewhat tipsy- offer his congratulations. You said his clothing had somewhat of a military cut, and Lothar IS a military man. I'll put up a proper post for this after the gossipy one, if you like.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2011-04-16 at 02:41 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Mingling as best he could, Lothar joined a group of village men sitting some way down from the high table. They made room for him with barely more than a word: loquacity was clearly not the Hohlesbruckers’ strong point.

Waiting for an opening in their slow conversation, Lothar leaned inward and nodded in the direction of his friends.

“Any of you know that fellow down there in the hat?” he asked, innocently. The men turned their heads like a herd of tortoises disturbed from eating, following the direction of Lothar’s gesture.

“That’s Mister Ribbalt,” said one of the men, taking a draught from his cup.
    “Reebow,” corrected another.
    “Ribbalt,” said the first again, calmly.
    “He’s furren,” said the oldest man in a low tone of voice – an old, broad-shouldered fellow with a magnificent spade beard of pure white. “Furreners got funny names.”

The other men nodded sagely, and turned back to making the most of Mr Faulebrand’s munificence, passing around food and drink with a quiet efficiency.

“He looks like an odd one,” volunteered Lothar, trying to prompt them into further speech. “Looks like people are givin’ him a bit of a wide berth.”

“Can’t trust furreners,” said the old man plainly, in between toothy bites of the crusty loaf in his hands. “Ever’one knows that.”
    “He’d be a rum one even if he warn’t,” said one of the others. “I’ve seen the way ‘e looks at the women. Got a wolvish look in his eye.”
    There was some general murmuring about Bretonnians and their ways.
    “Ain’t even got no business here, neither,” said the man who had spoken up. “Been malingerin’ at the Heartless Man for weeks, and ain’t turned an hour’s honest work at anythin’ any of us could see.” He took a mouthful of cheese, and continued speaking through it, gracing the table with a scattering of crumbs. “He ain’t nobility, sho how’sh he livin’, eh?”

Lothar nodded along, eyes still on the Breton as he rose to greet Illiiya.

“You have got some nobility in these parts, though, eh? Lord, um...”
    “Verloren,” said the old man, nodding. “Lord Verloren.”
    “I thought I heard he had a daughter,” said Lothar, conversationally. “Is she not coming?”

The old man looked up at Lothar, fixing him with a sudden gimlet stare.

“Miss Esther’s been very poorly,” interjected one of the other men, hastily.
    “Aye,” said the elder, “that she has. An’ I dare say, mister,” he said, his eyes not shifting an inch, “if you was her, and been promised to some young rascal who threw you over the moment he din’t like your face, aye, and took up with the miller’s daughter in your own village, you might not want to come to his engagement party, neither.”
    Lothar blinked, the sudden tone of condemnation having caught him off-guard.
    “But you came?” he managed.
    “Free food,” said the old man simply, reaching across and taking another loaf.

“There ain’t nothin’ wrong with young Alexa,” volunteered one of the others, perhaps trying to soften the older man’s words. “Lovely young girl, for all that she’s a bit dim.”
    “Aye, and much say she’s had in all this,” bit back the white-beard. “It’s all her father, tryin’ to buy his way into the arry-stock-rassy.” He took a savage bite from the bread in his hand. “When they were handin’ out the pride, Aloysius Faulebrand stole two buckets for hisself.”
    “I think she likes Mister Ricard,” said one of the other men, gently.
    “I dare say she does,” the first replied. He began chewing his chunk of bread with a fierce, sullen expression. “I dare say she does. And I dare say Mister Ricard likes her, or at least her father’s moneybags. Frittered away his inheritance already, or so I heard. Not that old Faulebrand cares for anythin’ but that his blood’s blue.”

“So you... don’t think too highly of Mr Faulebrand, then?” asked Lothar, tentatively. The older man had sunk into silence, leaving the others to answer.
    “He’s a funny little man,” said one of the men, diplomatically. “Can’t deny it, though... Hohlesbruck ain’t never been more prosperous than with Mr Faulebrand around.”
    The elder muttered something indecipherable through a mouthful of food. Lothar nodded along.
    “Rich merchant like him, though,” he said, “you’d think he’d have paid for some proper soldiers to clear these bandits out by now.”
    “Well, they ain’t so easy to find,” began one of the men – the white-beard swallowed his mouthful and butted in, the others deferring instantly.
    “Aloysius Faulebrand won’t pay a pfennig as long as he thinks he can get Lord Verloren to do it.”
    One of the other men nodded.
    “He’s very sure of his rights, is Mister Faulebrand,” he added.
    “Ha!” said the old man, going back to his food. The others quickly steered the conversation away from such provocative topics, a brief, blind search falling upon the weather and how it had been uncommon pleasant for this time of year...
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-04-16 at 06:47 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #150

"Huh," said Lothar, scratching the back of his neck. "Nobs, eh? Moneybags or from blood, 'sall much the same in the end." He took a swig of his ale and set it down with a satisfied air. "Well, I am a proper soldier- an' I'm not plannin' on layin' about useless. You lads find summat you need an' extra pair o' arms for, you come get me at the Heartless, eh?"

He stood to leave- but before he did, he made sure to get them another round.

The locals didn't seem very impressed; a few silent nods, and they went back to their chewing. Shaking his head, the former soldier wandered away, curious as to what the high table might have to say for themselves.

He approached the 'young rascal' and lifted his mug to the man. "Your health, Herr Talberg, an' my felicit- uh, congrat'lations." He paused, covering the awkward with a grin to the young nobleman and those sitting alongside. "Lothar- one o' those escorted your father-in-law on the road..."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2011-04-16 at 06:58 AM.
    Games:

=

=