New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart

Not Sigurd

Aloysius looked pensive.

"Well," he began, "that's good of you... but you really think the four of you are up to it? We don't know how many of them there are."

He frowned, and shook his head, assuming a brisker tone of voice.

"I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place. You should make your offer to Lord Verloren. It's his responsibility to ensure the safety of the village. Not that I couldn't pay you, but it's the principle of the thing, you understand."

"Now, if that was all..."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

What does she have? Illiiya asked the doctor in a quiet voice, My friend Pieter knows medicine fairly well... and I can make charms that ward off such things. Perhaps we can help.

It was partially a bluff, but something about the doctor worried her... and something in her made her feel she should try to help if there was a problem with the girl. It was what Raffy would have done.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar spread his hands. "We have our ways, even with only a handful. You say that Lord Verloren is the man t' speak to, but the way I hear it only your waggonnes are bein' raided- the village itself is safe, aye?"
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

Mr Faulebrand gave an uncertain smile.

"My wagons are the only things to have been raided, Mr Fischer, because they have been the only thing worth taking. A community like ours doesn't see much traffic, you know." He straightened his back, adjusting his jacket. "The fact that they haven't come into the village itself only shows that they don't have the numbers to menace people in their own homes."

What does she have? Illiiya asked the doctor in a quiet voice, My friend Pieter knows medicine fairly well... and I can make charms that ward off such things. Perhaps we can help.
    "Charms," repeated Reifennen, in a flat tone of reserved politeness. "I think, Miss, um, miss, we can do without charms for now."

He looked down and rummaged in his bag.

"Miss Faulebrand has a fever, the precise nature of which I have yet to determine. I hope you'll excuse me if I go to that now."

Turning away, the doctor made for the stairs.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, doctor," Pieter said politely. "May I ask you a few questions about the brigands who attacked you on the road? Might be useful to us."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here I'm assuming Lothar answered Pieter's question when Pieter asked how the doctor knows it was roadwardens.

No time to write the questions right now: got to go to school. I'm just pausing the plot for a moment, if no one minds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

Reifennen stopped on the stairs, turning back towards Pieter with a slightly exasperated expression. Everything about the way the man expressed himself seemed to be mild and watered-down: he put Lothar in mind of a peeved sheep.

"Yes?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    As a solution to your problem, assume that Lothar overheard at the feast that it was the doctor who was attacked, and that he claimed it was roadwardens. I'm not particularly fussed, and it lets you go ahead without having to unpick everything you've said previously.

That being said, bad Lothar. No telepathy.
    Wonderful. Thanks, LCP. And it was my fault, not GP's.

"The roadwardens... did they talk to you after their intervention? Anything they might have let slip about the brigands would be a lot of help."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

Reifennen blinked, and hesitated.

"Um, no. Not really," he said. "I mean... there wasn't much to say. I didn't want to slow them down. For all I know, they were after the rest of them." He looked politely blank. "Was there anything else?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"The rest of them? I take it that's why one of the riders rode into the woods?" inquired Pieter. Perhaps he might find something interesting if he went back there and followed the tracks. "Do you know if he caught up with the curs?"

(After the doctor's answers)

"Thank you, doctor," said the initiate thoughtfully. "I won't leave miss Faulebrand waiting for you any longer. If you need help, let me know."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

"I'm afraid I have no idea," said Reifennen. "My memory of the whole thing is rather shaky... you understand, it was, um, something of a shock."

"Thank you, doctor," said the initiate thoughtfully. "I won't leave miss Faulebrand waiting for you any longer. If you need help, let me know."
    The doctor nodded, and hurried upstairs. Seeing him go, Mr Faulebrand turned back to the others.

"Any other business?" he asked, a little tetchily. "Or are we finished here?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Something feels wrong. I know it.

Then do something, Ill. A girl's life could be on the line.

I... I could be imagining. I don't always see things right...

And if you're not...?

Illiiya looked up to the doctor intently, not certain what to do. Her outbursts in Delberz had caused nothing but trouble... but everything in her burned to say something. To do... something. She wanted to simply flee this place, but the guilt she felt over that made such a thing impossible. She felt trapped. Instead she simply stared at the doctor, and said the only thing she could think to.

I would personally not trust a man I barely knew who INSISTED he must be alone with my pretty, young, virgin daughter. She said to the elder Mr Faulebrand, Please Mr Faulebrand... be careful.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter blinked at Illiiya. He did not entirely trust the doctor either, but the Elven girl was not very good at saying things the right way.

"Now, um... Illiiya, I'm sure the doctor is doing his best. If he wanted to harm Alexa, he had plenty of opportunities last night. There's really no need to be alarmed."

He gave Mr Faulebrand an apologetic smile, but felt more than a little ashamed of treating a perceptive young woman as if she were a halfwit.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-03 at 03:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Not Sigurd

Reifennen stopped on the stairs, turning to look at Illiiya and stepping back as if she had struck him in the face.

“Madam... elf,” he said, mustering in his tone all the moral high ground that he could. The fact that he was physically standing above them seemed to help a bit. “I have sworn an oath to do no harm. Mr Faulebrand has seen my credentials, and I don’t see what cause you have to doubt them.”

He sniffed.

“If you wished to risk your own health, and the liberty was mine, then I would be happy to allow you to see for yourself. Since this is not my house, however, I must leave that decision in the hands of my illustrious client.”

As the doctor had been talking, the miller had turned an incandescent red.

“How dare you,” he said. “How dare you – in my house, under my roof, a flock of, of mercenaries and vagabonds...”

He trailed off, looking almost as if he might explode in Illiiya’s face. Seeming to master his anger, he pointed one trembling, pudgy finger towards the door.

“Out! Out of my house, the whole pack of you! Out!
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-05-03 at 06:48 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"I beg you to forgive her, sir," Pieter said with as much diplomacy as possible, though he was noticeably biting the insides of his cheeks. "She has faced trying times lately." As we all have.

He motioned the others to follow him outside. Only when the door slammed behind them did he allow himself to double over in a fit of breathless laughter. Leaning on Lothar, it took him half a minute to recover.

"Oh gods, Illiiya, you really have a way with people," he chuckled, mussing up her hair. "Don't ever change."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #255

Lothar, barely suppressing a wry smile, tilted his head to Faulebrand and stepped out with the others. Once there, he joined Pieter in his mirth, chuckling. "A fair point, Ill."

He shrugged. "Ah, well. Seein' as we aren't wanted here, what say we try Lord Verloren? I don't like the idea o' these nice folks gettin' hurt."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2011-05-03 at 07:08 PM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

"You may be right," said Pieter, growing serious. "But it's the bandit-hunters I'm interested in, not the bandits themselves. I don't believe that doctor about the roadwardens... he's not telling everything he knows. Maybe he saw something disturbing and is afraid he won't be believed." Pieter shrugged. "With or without pay, I'd like to know more. I say the first step is to see where the big horseman's tracks lead."

Edit: Post edited in accordance with GP's ninja-edit.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-03 at 07:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

LCP only:

Spoiler
    Show

Sigurd smiled as he handed over the jar of honey, no explanation needed. He left Indigo by the gate of her garden.

“Mister Waite, ain’t it?”
    "The very same."

“How’d you find the Faulebrands’ feast?”
    Sigurd frowned. "Troubling. It was quite pleasant, until the end. You've heard that Miss Alexa took ill after eating."

It wasn't a question, just a fact.

"I'm afraid I'm here to burden you with my questions again. Not about the barrows, mind you."

Sigurd knew very well that he was taking a risk. If anyone in the village had made the poison, it was Yilese. He was tipping his hand to her. But he knew what she was--and she had no idea about him. So for now, he had the advantage.

Still, he was inclined to like her, and hoped against hope that the poison had come from afar by way of the doctor.

"The fact is, I noticed that doctor handling a phial just before Alexa dropped ill, and he was seated right beside her. Later on I saw him go for a walk. It was late, well after the dancing stopped. I decided to see where he went, and it was straight to Verloren manor. There and back, hardly a moment spent inside."

He gauges the herbalist's reaction very carefully.

"I suspect poison. The only question is who paid the doctor to do it--the Lord, or the Miss. They both have a damned good reason."

He looks at Mother Yilese hopefully. "You know more of them than I do. Perhaps you know which one has the temperament for revenge?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya was ushered from the house in confusion more than anything else. She did not seem particularly afraid of the huffing man, nor upset at his outburst.

I do not understand people. She said to no one in particular, turning away from the slammed door, What did I say wrong? I was only trying to help.

She gave a soft sigh and joined the group, looking to Pieter oddly at his suggestion.

They do not seem to want our help... and I do not want to be set on fire again. Why are we butting in where we are not wanted?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

Spoiler
    Show
    Mother Yilese examined Sigurd's face with a searching look.

"Aye, I heard," she said, dropping the weed she had uprooted. "I'd say I hoped she was feelin' better, but I'm supposin' that's not too likely."

Setting the honey down on her wooden stool, she began to pull up another nettle.

“You say the Verlorens’d have reason to hurt her, and I’d say maybe you’d be right. Young Talberg treated Miss Esther shameful, and old Faulebrand made it worse – he’s got pride, the worst kind of pride.” The nettle came up with a vicious yank, the old woman straightening her back again. “Alexa Faulebrand, though, that young gel hasn’t a cruel bone in her body, any more than she’s got much of a brain between her ears.” She turned to give Sigurd a shrewd look.

“Neither of ‘em, Mister Waite. Neither of ‘em’s got it in them. Old Mils is a gentle soul, and he brought his daughter up the same.” She paused, reflecting a little. “An illness like Miss Esther’s, that can change a person, I suppose. But she was never wicked. Even before she fell sick, with her beauty, and two noblemen courtin’ her, she was never wicked.”

She shook her head, and turned back to her weeding.

“I wouldn’t go jumpin’ to conclusions if I was you, Mister Waite. It’s cruelty what’s been done by Talberg and the old miller, and it’s cruelty the gods hate. They got a way of punishin’ that don’t care who else gets hurt, sometimes.” Another nettle was ripped up. “You want to call a Verloren a poisoner, you’d best be good and sure.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2011-05-04 at 08:10 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

LCP only:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigurd looks relieved. He rather liked Mils Verloren, stiff as he may be, and he felt nothing but sympathy for the daughter. He didn't want to go calling either one of them a poisoner.

"I'm glad to hear that," he says. "It leaves the doctor's behavior looking right mysterious though. I've had nothing but a bad feeling about that man since I first met him. He lied to me about what happened on the road, too."

If she asks what he means he'll explain that the doctor said Roadwardens saved him, but the bodies were left out to rot which doesn't speak of Roadwardens at all. And that the doctor dodgily refused to give any other details of the event.

"Have you noticed anything... unusual about him?"

He suddenly realizes the irony of his question. "I mean, more unusual than any other city-living stranger who comes poking about the village?"

He knows she doesn't have the warmest sense of humor, but he can't help giving her a dry grin as he says it.

((After her answers re. the doctor.))

"Thank you, Mother Yilese. Thank you again. I think I owe you rather more than a jar of honey for all you've shared with me--is there anything useful I can do or fetch for you before the next time I call?"

((after her answer - presumably Sigurd agrees readily unless it's something outlandish like the foreskin of a troll))

"Oh, and one other thing. I was hoping there might be a family of loggers or trappers hereabouts. Someone who'd be willing to show me at least some corner of the woods here, even if it's nowhere near the barrow mounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm duly reluctant to go seek the barrows now--everyone in the village agrees with you, and so do the caravan guards Mister Faulebrand hired. At this point I'd be happy just to stroll the nearby woods and get the lay of the land. Surely someone gathers mushrooms or....?"

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2011-05-04 at 10:41 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus smiled, 'You know I'm in half a mind to uh, visit the doctor at night if you don't think his story adds up...' He trails off. 'But aye, let's go talk to the Lord, and then we can have a look into those tracks.'

Finally, something to do, praise be.
    Sigatar by Me

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Sigurd

Spoiler
    Show
    "I ain't been into the village for a few days, Mister Waite," said Mother Yilese, resuming weeding with a business-like tone. "I ain't seen this doctor's face yet, so no, I don't reckon I have noticed anythin' about him."

She accepted Sigurd's thanks with scarcely a word, continuing to tend to her garden. When he asked what he could do for her in return, she looked round at him with an evaluating look in her eye.

"I'd say you could tell me what your real business is here," she said, "but I don't think I'd get much of an answer, would I?" The driest sliver of a smile crossed her wrinkled face. "If you do find anythin' more about poor Alexa and this city doctor, though, it would be kind of you to keep an old woman informed."

"Oh, and one other thing. I was hoping there might be a family of loggers or trappers hereabouts. Someone who'd be willing to show me at least some corner of the woods here, even if it's nowhere near the barrow mounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm duly reluctant to go seek the barrows now--everyone in the village agrees with you, and so do the caravan guards Mister Faulebrand hired. At this point I'd be happy just to stroll the nearby woods and get the lay of the land. Surely someone gathers mushrooms or....?"
    "Most of the folks round here know the woods well enough. If you want to go far, speak to Hans Suster an' his wife Greta, out past the mill. Hans is a woodsman, and between him and his wife they have a charcoal mound somewhere out by the brook."

Turning over a broad dock-leaf, she frowned.

"Damned slugs," she said, pulling up a slowly-writhing specimen by its flattened tail. "The slimy things are breedin' early this year."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Master Sigurd Waite

LCP only:

Spoiler
    Show

"I'd say you could tell me what your real business is here, but I don't think I'd get much of an answer, would I?"
    The driest sliver of a smile crossed her wrinkled face. Sigurd matched it, starting to really like the woman. "Not much of one. Other than to say I mean no ill will or harm to anyone in Hohlesbruck. But I suspect you knew that already, or we wouldn't be talking."

"If you do find anythin' more about poor Alexa and this city doctor, though, it would be kind of you to keep an old woman informed."
    He smiled openly. "That, I can do," he promised.

"Most of the folks round here know the woods well enough. If you want to go far, speak to Hans Suster an' his wife Greta, out past the mill. Hans is a woodsman, and between him and his wife they have a charcoal mound somewhere out by the brook."
    As she deals with her slug problem, Sigurd thanks her again and waves at Indigo to come with him. He winds his way past the mill and toward the Suster home....

((If I happen to espy the others' walking toward Verloren manor, let me know, as it would be helpful info to have IC. I suspect the timelines add up, if that's where they're headed. Other than that, ready to warp over to the Suster's.))

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2011-05-04 at 11:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

They do not seem to want our help... and I do not want to be set on fire again. Why are we butting in where we are not wanted?

"There's a great deal of difference between what people want and what people need, Illiiya," Pieter said, a smile playing on his lips. "You know nothing forces you to come with us."

"Personally I'd like to get to the bottom of these two murders. Not sure Lord Verloren would pay us any more than Mr Faulebrand, but I don't accept money from the nobility, anyway."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-04 at 01:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #265

"What makes you think the two dead bandits are weird, anyhow? If it's some murderous freakshow, he'd have killed someone in the village- and folk around here seem awful peaceable for that to've happened." Lothar shrugged. "I'm interested in cleaning out the bandits 'cause I figure we might be able to turn 'em to honest work rather'n kill 'em."

He nodded to Illiiya. "Less death, eh, Ill?"
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter was sorely tempted to shoot down Lothar's plan with one of the half dozen cynical remarks that came to his mind, but decided against it for Illiiya's sake. Let her believe it was possible. Their chances of meeting the bandits were rather low at any rate.

"Do you really believe roadwardens did this, Lothar? I certainly don't. The bandits, at least, let their victims walk away with their lives. They're not the real threat out there."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-04 at 10:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Why is it our concern at all? We are not being paid to clear the roads, and we do not live here. We even turned down Mr. Sigurd's offer to pay us to go out there, and now you wish to learn what was out there? Illiiya asked confused, tilting her head to one side.

Mr. Cat mewed for attention at her feet, and she scooped him up, holding him to her chest as she scratches his head with one hand.

What is it we are trying to do?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Why is it our concern at all? We are not being paid to clear the roads, and we do not live here. We even turned down Mr. Sigurd's offer to pay us to go out there, and now you wish to learn what was out there? Illiiya asked confused, tilting her head to one side.

"Mr Waite is a treasure hunter, isn't he? He's not interested in making this village safe. Our goals are not the same," explained Pieter patiently. "And the pay is of no concern to me. I have a duty. You don't, so you don't need to come."

He smiled sadly and looked at the Elven girl in the eyes. "I know your intentions are good, Illiiya, but you can't stop us from walking our own paths; it'd be selfish of you. We certainly won't sit idly while evil happens just because you're fond of us and want us to be safe. Do you understand?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Fine. Die then you worthless cow-

No! She said in a sudden outburst, looking embarrassed almost as soon as the words left her lips, I... Please do not exclude me... because of who I am. I am far from home and I will never return there. I wish to be part of here... with all of you. I just do not understand why you have this duty. Because of... your god? Please, I want to understand.

She looked to Pieter sadly, earnestly lost and confused.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

That... was actually a good question. Ranald never expected His servants to investigate savage murders. Sigmar and Verena protected civilization and brought evildoers to justice, but Ranald fed the poor, gave hope to the downtrodden and played pranks on the nobility. Could it be that Pieter was invoking his god as merely an excuse to seek trouble and satisfy his curiosity?

The initiate wearily raked his fingers through his dark hair. He had not expected to meet so much resistance. He liked his new friends, but sometimes he found himself missing the freedom of travelling alone.

"I don't see anyone else doing something about it," he answered at last. "Perhaps Lord Verloren has people taking care of it? If it turns out he does, we won't need to get involved," he said, his tone falsely hopeful.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2011-05-05 at 06:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: