New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant HQ

Gate

Geoff gives it a slightly deadly look, probably telling it, and Feia, that whatever happens, the White Creation will have to start proving it's worth as more than a curiosity. "How does he construct these..."brains" for you and your kind? I have a few theories in mind, but I need clear answers before I even risk it."

Infirmary

"Well, it's actually a small complex of deities. For orphaned children."
    She explains. "My brother and I were sent there. There's a dozen small temples there if you'd like to choose your own. I can't say who's there at the moment. It's been a while since we've visited. Whoever you choose there though, everyone will get along with you."

2. - Top - End - #722
    Orc in the Playground

Infirmary

"I will visit as soon as I am able, thank you." Rebecka smiles; it's quite a pretty smile, although it looks something that hasn't happened for a while.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #723
    Halfling in the Playground

[Gate]

The White Creation tilts its head slightly, then sighs and shakes it. "How he constructs our brains is an integral part of the creation-making process. Giving you the necessary details to do so yourself would reveal far too much about his creations, and risks providing others with sufficient information to attempt to copy his own work. The Lord Professor Affidavit will never provide information that risks damaging the uniqueness of his creations." Almost sounds like it's reading from a script, doesn't it?

It practically is. Affidavit's merely feeding it the lines, since he suspects they'd get rather annoyed if he started talking to them directly.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Secret part of base

Sunny and her robots are starting to clear out a large chamber for a new project.

Something BIG obviously.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #725
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Gates]

So far, the creation seems to be doing a beautiful job of almost ensuring it's destruction.
    Feia would be amused if it wasn't so wasteful.

Then again...perhaps not.

However, that can wait a brief moment. Feia has a slightly simpler idea for this situation, that involves less Professor-tech.
    I shall assume you desire intelligence in machinery, although I suppose low-intelligence animals is not out of the question.

Would it not be simpler to have a mage, one of the others or myself, to apply a permanent, magical "awakening" for them, to pull them to sentience? With the obvious risks of rogue artificial intelligences or war machines, controls could be applied, if deemed necessary. It would likely be a much simpler to reproduce process, and far less resource-expensive.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate

Geoff gives a growl at the White Creation and draws back a fist before Feia speaks. He turns to her, his emotions covered once more except for a hard edge in his voice. "Because they're already intelligent. I want more than just a smart animal or simple child."

7. - Top - End - #727
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Gates]

Feia straightens slightly, looking only faintly bothered.
    Clearly Geoff did not understand what this was she was offering.
    Very well, so they already have rudimentary intelligence. Would it not be simpler to augment it through the magical means only slightly different from what I suggested, rather than taking the scientist's research and possibly spending weeks on a method to integrate it into previously established minds?
    Absentee Spirit

8. - Top - End - #728

[Gates]

"The Lord Professor does not believe it is at all possible to make adjustments to your current creatures to boost their intelligence. He could provide details that would allow you to produce more intelligent creatures in the future, but as has already been said, this would reveal too much about his creations." The White Creation pauses for a moment, "...while some sort of compromise could be reached, involving adapating his existing designs in a way that does not risk revealing anything important about his creations, doing so would take weeks, whereas Feia is offering an immediate solution."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate

"Then give me the process."
    He tells Feia. "But you won't take a hand in it." He then looks at White Creation. "If Affidavit, or you, have nothing to offer us, then you're quickly losing your worth to us."

10. - Top - End - #730
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Gates]

Well that's less fun, Feia was rather hoping to see what this was for.
    Suspicions are not quite as fun as confirmations, in many cases.

But she bows her head regardless.
    I shall prepare some documentation and have it within your hands by the end of the night.
    Absentee Spirit

11. - Top - End - #731

[Gate]

"There is plenty my master could offer, but you seem determined to get your hands on information vital to the creation-making process. What else would you want? Perhaps there is something you desire that he could provide that doesn't involve revealing such secrets." The White Creation shrugs, "I know not what the Remnant needs, and the Lord Professor was unaware that such much information had been lost. He is left at a loss as to what you do have, and what you don't have."

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate

Geoff nods to Feia before ignoring her in favor of the Creation. "Tell me what Affidavit can offer then. We can go from there."

13. - Top - End - #733

[Gate]

"The Lord Professor can offer technology that isn't related to his creations, research into new tech the Remnant wants developed, additional armed forces should the need arise, a workforce to assist with any construction projects and augmentations to your soldiers, should that be desired."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Gates]

The Feia illusion remains where she is, though she becomes silent and mostly just stares at the sky.
    She is simply here in case she is needed, at this point.

The real Feia is preparing the requested documentation and perhaps a demonstration.
    Absentee Spirit

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate

"Specifics." Geoff says. "I don't deal in general vague promises. Give me real examples."

16. - Top - End - #736
    Troll in the Playground

Secret chamber

Wait, wasn't this a large room? Well, it used to be, until it was filled up with machinery and power generators and cooling devices for all the machinery. Now, there's not very much room left, but Sunny is ready to start running tests, with the help of Aliz.

SEEEEEECRET tests!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

17. - Top - End - #737

[Gate]

"Examples...very well. The most recent model of creation has a multicoloured orb divided into segments as its head, functioning as one giant eye. The segments are combinations of chemicals, lenses, and various other things that allow the creation to detect anything that has any sort of effect on the physical world. This was an advancement on the old design, which functioned similarly, but was set into a humanoid face in pairs, like human eyes, drastically limiting the area visible to the creation. However, it is still a significant improvement on the human's shockingly inadequate eyes. Affidavit could quite easily replace the eyes of all your soldiers with those he has designed. Technology can be tampered with, but an eye, right in the socket, is always going to work, short of being stabbed or removed in some other way."

18. - Top - End - #738
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flying up to Remnant HQ is the same drone that visited it before - about the size of a grapefruit, with a propellor and a small screen.

However hanging from by one hand is Iggy, who has his wrench in his other hand, a long object that from this distance looks like a white sword in his left foot, and in his right foot he has an object that looks like this, but in a dark grey with a more integrated barrel similar to this.

In his mouth, hanging by a piece of string, is a small box made of metal with a bunch of exposed wiring still sticking out.

Looks like he couldn't be bothered finishing the plating.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Gate

"Can you mass produce them so we can add them in later ourselves?" He asks.

Walls

One of the guards gives Iggy a friendly wave as he arrives.

20. - Top - End - #740

[Gate]

"Yes, such a thing is possible. However, the procedure itself is...painful. Even if put under anaesthetic, there will be some quite severe pain for a few hours afterwards as the patient adjusts to his new eyes. Hence, the Lord Professor would need to teach your medical staff how best to perform the operation to ensure it is done quickly, efficiently, and with minimal pain afterwards. Additionally, there may be some slight disorientation while adjusting to the new eyes. Nothing serious, but the Lord Professor would recommend one day before allowing patients back into active duty, just to be sure."

21. - Top - End - #741

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Secret chamber

Wait, wasn't this a large room? Well, it used to be, until it was filled up with machinery and power generators and cooling devices for all the machinery. Now, there's not very much room left, but Sunny is ready to start running tests, with the help of Aliz.

SEEEEEECRET tests!
    Something attempts to breach Sunny's computer systems! And... install a chat program! Before attempting to execute said program!

It's worth noting that the technomagic behind this... infiltrator is quite adept at getting around security systems. It just cuts them out - along with most of the computer - for a moment through magic and then slips inside unnoticed.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Secret Chamber

As previously stated, Sunny very scrupulously keeps two computer systems, with her work for Coil (as she still thinks of them, and perhaps always will) completely separate from everything else.

After all, Mainframe, and through extension Magtok, have access to her regular computers. And though she thinks of Magtok as a friend, she knows he's not to be trusted with Coil's classified tech.

So... the infiltrator can try to get into her working laptop, which is highly protected by Coil defences and need to be roleplayed out with Wolfy.

Or it can pop into her personal smart phone, which is only protected with whatever basic firewalls and such a smartphone normally has. If the latter is chosen, the attempt will automatically succeed.

It's worth noting that Sunny's smartphone has a piece of electrical tape over the camera. It seemed the best defence against Mainframe using it to spy on her. Though they've made up after their last fight, she still doesn't exactly trust Mainframe. But even with the camera taped up, it's still a security breach for that phone to be in this room. Sunny will be mortified when she realizes she forgot to remove it from her pocket.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-05-03 at 12:01 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #743

Secret Chamber

In that case, the infiltrator probably probes Mortal Coil's cyber security ahead of time. An act that may well be detected, and finding such defences... formidable, the outsider instead looks for something else using the same internet provider.

Namely, Sunny's phone.

There's a NEW MESSAGE! The smartphone no doubt emits some sort of tone.

The text is merely one word:

Hello?

Given the magitech behind the sender, and Sunny's own machine empathy, she may well detect a tone of curiousity.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

Secret Chamber >> Outside Secret Chamber

Sunny's message tone is... the default that came with the phone. How boring! You'd think a machine empath would have done more customizing!

But hearing it beep, makes her realize the security breach, turn bright red, and immediately scurry out of the room, expecting it to be a message from Magtok.

But it's not.

Who are you? she types.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #745

Outside Secret Chamber

The infiltrator spots her text color.

And promptly adopts one itself. Picking something like purple or violet, seems like.

You want to know my name?

I don't have a name. Correctly, I don't know my name, if I ever had one.

You want to know what I am?

I don't know that either. Life's funny that way.

Do you work for the Council?

The entire message appears in a fraction of a second after Sunny replied. Weird.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-05-03 at 05:30 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Outside Secret Chamber

No.

Sunny doesn't work for the Council. She works for Remnant.

What do you want?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #747

Outside Secret Chamber

You're in the Remnant headquarters. The Remnant is part of the Council.

Right?

Never mind. It doesn't matter. Correctly, it does matter. It doesn't matter right now. Can you help me? It's dark here. I don't like it.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

Outside the Secret Chamber

"Aliz?" Sunny calls out. "There's someone in my phone."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-05-03 at 06:49 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside Chamber

The defenses would have been more than a little powerful, and after they caught on, whoever it is might feel three parts of it break off, trying to find the source. Those parts seem...intelligent.

Aliz stops, arm full of scrolls, and sets those on a nearby table. He trusts that it's not a joke and takes the phone from her before infusing his magic into it, trying to find the source of whatever is plaguing her.

30. - Top - End - #750

Outside Chamber

The creature... immediately withdraws, for some reason, once the Coil tries to trace it. Instead, they'll merely track it to a... phone in the Red Zone. The phone isn't connected to anybody else, and has no trace of infiltration on its own. At least, nothing they'll be able to find.

As for Aliz... well, the infiltrator's gone now. But I'm sure he'll sense its departure.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters