New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Expanded worlds - Elsir Valle or the Valley of Obelisks

Has any of you ever seen a world based on an expansion of either Elsir Valley (Red Hand of Doom adventure/setting) or the Valley of the Obelisks (Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde adventure/setting).

Both of those are cool places to start a new party, but I think they would get small and boring for middle-level characters, and they doesn't really fit well into any of the published bigger worlds/settings.

If I found an expanded world for those, I would like to use them the next time I start a new game. I guess I could create it, but 1.-My job and other duties doesn't leave me that much time and 2.-I would like to participate as a player, not a DM, so I would like to offer the DM an already cooked world rather than beg him to create a new world for us.

EDIT: I have thought that they could be fit between Ket and Perrenland. The Valley of the Obelisks could be a protectorate of associate state of Perrenland between Krestible and Molvar, and Elsir Vale could be east of Molvar, south-west of Krestible and west of the Velverdyva River. The Elsir River and the Marrilach River join south of Molvar and later join with the Tuflik River. Do you think it could work?
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-01-19 at 01:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Expanded worlds - Elsir Valle or the Valley of Obelisks

The 4e adventure path "Scales of War" that begins in Dungeon Magazine #156 expands on the Elsir vale if only a little bit. It adds some major dwarven cities, the largest of which is the City of Overlook, to the east and some points of interest in the vale. Its a really story designed to take a group from 1-30 I think it is designed to take place 10 years later, but I am running it 50 year later. Unfortunantly it does not expand anymore than say doubling the size of the map before the adventure shifts to the planes, but its a start.

I have not seen any material for the Valley of Obelisks, but I have run that adventure as well and expanded upon it on my own. I think thats the fun of these kind of settings. It gives you a starting off point to start expanding your own game world. Play through them and get ideas from your players. Where is the rogue from? What was the name of the city that the fighter was a gladiator in? Where did the wizard study his art? What other groups are there in the world that could benefit from the same path progression as the Luminous Order and the Ebon Cabal? (This to me was the best part of this setting!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Expanded worlds - Elsir Valle or the Valley of Obelisks

I've checked the size, and it would be very difficul to stuff any of the two maps in the Yatils. The Valley of the Obelisks would cover the whole Yatils south of Krestible, and the Elsir Vale would cover the whole Yatils east of Perrenland.

Those maps are huge! Elsir Valley is about 240 miles long and 160 miles wide, bigger than England, and the Valley of Obelisks is 200 miles long and 150 miles wide, bigger than Scotland. There isn't just enough stuff in those "valleys" to fill that area...I think maybe they should be reduced to half the size.

I like those generic worlds like good old Greyhawk, Elsir Vale, or the Valley of the Obelisks.