New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Questions about Circle magic, and arcane/divine spellcasters

So a worshiper of Galaeros (Ghostwalk) can take the circle magic feat at 1st level.

If you have friends with the feat, or can hire the services of 1st level casters with the feat, (you must have learnt if somehow, so would need others to participate)

Q1) Does this mean you could use circle magic: heighten to qualify for prestige classes "must be able to cast x level spells"?

Q2) if you had a class that casts both arcane and divine spells (treated as either divine or arcane respectively) would a prc that increases spell casting of both a divine and an arcane per level allowed to be applied twice to the class?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2013-01-19 at 05:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Questions about Circle magic, and arcane/divine spellcasters

None of the Prcs I've seen have been worded in a way that would let you advance the same class twice with one level.

3. - Top - End - #3

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    So a worshiper of Galaeros (Ghostwalk) can take the circle magic feat at 1st level.

If you have friends with the feat, or can hire the services of 1st level casters with the feat, (you must have learnt if somehow, so would need others to participate)

Q1) Does this mean you could use circle magic: heighten to qualify for prestige classes "must be able to cast x level spells"?
    Yes. This is the same idea as using Earth Spell and/or Sanctum Spell to meet prereq's early.

Generally circle magic isn't a problem, as it's normally a PrC ability, though.

Q2) if you had a class that casts both arcane and divine spells (treated as either divine or arcane respectively) would a prc that increases spell casting of both a divine and an arcane per level allowed to be applied twice to the class?
    Can you state specifically what you are talking about here? I can't think of anything that does what you are describing, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are asking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Can you state specifically what you are talking about here? I can't think of anything that does what you are describing, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are asking.
    The Shiar or something. It's a Theurge in a box type class in Dragon Compendium.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    The Shiar or something. It's a Theurge in a box type class in Dragon Compendium.
    Yes he sha'ir is both a divine and arcane caster, I was wondering what happens when it takes a prc that has +1 level to a arcane spell casting class, +1 level to a divine spell casting class as a class feature.

What happens when you only have sha'ir then?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm going to crack a look at sha'ir and mystic theurge but the way they are worded makes me think it doesn't work.

edit: Huh, the way mystic theurge is worded appears to allow it to work and skimming Sha'ir also doesn't appear to say anything against it
    Last edited by Seer_of_Heart; 2013-01-19 at 09:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    What happens when you only have sha'ir then?
    Since the Sha'ir is both you may advance it as both or as something else. For example:

If you are a level 3 Sha'ir and take a level in Mystic Theurge selecting your Sha'ir casting as your Arcane and Divine you would cast spells as a 5th level Sha'ir.

If you were a 3rd level Sha'ir and a 1st level Wizard and took a level of Mystic Theurge you can either advance your Sha'ir (Divine) casting twice or your Wizard (Arcane) casting once and your Sha'ir casting once.

EDIT: I believe you are going to try and use Circle Magic to augment your Sha'ir casting to get 2nd level spells at 1st level, take Mystic Theurge for 9th level spells at level 10th level and then fill out your remaining 10 levels with another prestige class or something. I like the way you think
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-19 at 11:16 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin