New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ooze (Interactive)

Updates Friday and Monday evenings (Gmt +1)

The Comics
    Spoiler
    Show

The Intro
    Intro 1
    Intro 2
    Intro 3

Our hero, an innocent slime, spends it's days joyfully roaming the fields, absorbing plants and smaller creatures in order to grow. But suddenly, it's viciously attacked by a mysterious booted monster! Fed up of being picked on by creatures larger than itself, our hero vows revenge against the world. Swearing to grow bigger, stronger and smarter. It sets off in order to become the greatest monster around!
    -----------------
    Spoiler
    Show

Find some ants and steal their beetle
    You found some ants and promptly stole the precious beetle they were carrying. After refusing to return their treasure to them, a few larger ants have gathered around you. They look pretty ticked off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eat the beetle and run
    You quickly devour the stolen beetle.

Among some smaller changes, it seems the transformation lost you your tentacle and replaced it with antennas. Which are nearly useless to you, given your already adequate eyesight. On the bright side you now receive over 300 channels.

You "run" nonstop until evening sets in.

You arrive in the Spooky Forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use your beetle stuff to find a local insect and inquire about possible swag
    Using your new antennas, you attempt to scan the area for any locals. It would seem that company was closer than you thought! You've found a dirt fairy! Or did he find you?

Either way, you ask him about the woods and anything delicious or possibly dangerous that might be inside.

"Dangerous? Lots of things around here are dangerous, kid! Why do you think I'm down here! Undead, stale dirt and Will'o'wisps are always an issue around here! Or at least they are when everything is quiet.. "

"Now if it's a snack your after, I can help you out there! I got some inside information on where you can find some prime stuff.. but it'll cost ya!"

Spoiler
    Show

Ask him about the price
    Intrigued by the smaller creature's offer, you ask him about the costs he mentioned.

"See kid, I've already mentioned my problem. Those blasted sounds! Scaring away the local spooks may have made my job easier, but the forest becoming safer is bad for business! Less specters means more competition coming into /my/ forest digging /my/ dirt! Which means /my/ profits are sinking!"

part 2
    "Get out there and put and end to it! I don't care how! Just bring me back my monsters! Call me once you've quieted the place down!"

part 3
    With that, the fairy crawls back down into it's hole. Leaving you alone again, save for the ever present music flowing through the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Locate the source of the music
    "UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE"

Following the loud, almost mechanical sounds through the forest. You finally locate the source in a small clearing! It's some form of infernal boot-monster machine.. Though you're still too far off to recognize any fine details, you realize all you can make out of the operator is a dark silhouette..

You've located the shadow DJ. The source of the forest's "problem".

Spoiler
    Show

Get a closer look at the Shadow Dj
    "*Unce* *Unce* *Unce* "

You quietly sneak a little closer towards the mysterious creature and get a good look.

Spoiler
    Show
    New comic - Ask the Dj about the music
    Ask the DJ about the music
    You slowly approach the strange creature and get it's attention. It spares you a quick glance and a moment of silence while you proceed to ask it about it's music.

Part 2
    Instead of giving you an answer or any other more dramatic response, It merely points to the nearby boot-monster deathstone and goes back to making it's noise.

Part 3
    Maybe the shadow wanted you to look at this? You go a little closer and examine it.

The stone itself seems relatively new and in good shape. Though it looks like somebody scratched something pretty deep into the surface.

Spoiler
    Show
    Get a better look at the stone
    You inch a little closer towards the half buried slab in front of you and take a closer look at the boot-monster markings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Having not understood the first answer, you ask the Shadow Dj again
    After not understanding the meaning of the Dj's first answer, you ask him again. As always, his only response is silence. This time however, he stops his music completely..

The fog around you starts thickening, eyes and silhouettes of unknown creatures make themselves seen along the edge of the clearing and you can't help but feel watched as you start shaking, not out of fear but rather due to the grave beneath you starting to rumble ever so slightly.

The dead boot-monster underneath you produces a blood curdling shriek as it's shadowed hand bursts out of the rotted earth reaching for the surface above! The Dj takes the cry as his cue, and immediately begins playing his next song. The hand withers and begins to sink back ever so slowly into the shallow, feted earth below as if the creature was dying all over again.

Almost instantly, the heavy fog dissipates and the creatures of the forest seem to have lost interest in watching you. However, you are absolutely terrified by what you just witnessed and book it back to the shadow Dj. Unsure sure if you should be grateful for his "answer".

You vow never to go near the gravestones again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Delve deeper into the forest
    You make up your mind to be brave, leave the clearing and to delve deeper into the darkness around you. As you leave you notice the DJ flashing you some form of boot-monster hand gesture. You give him a quick nod of understanding and dive into the thorny underbrush ahead.

Part 2
    You continue boldly onwards, the Dj's song fading away along with your daylight with every hop forwards. After going further into the forest for a good while, the crimson red light of the evening sun slowly dissipates and is replaced by cold blue moonlight.

Suddenly, you hear the faint rustling of the tall grasses to your side -

Part 3

A wild Will-O-Whisp attacks!

Spoiler
    Show

Run away from the Whisp
    You once again decide running away is your best plan of action, you jump into the darkness away from the strange creature without a second thought. However, your tempo is no match to the flying whisp's own speed and it quickly intercepts you.

Part 2
    The whisp takes another deep breathe, it's mouth glows brighter and brighter, illuminating the murky air around it. It let's loose and the odd blue flames sling through the dark! The moist grass around you catches fire.

Part 3
    You're standing in a small clearing filled with short grass. You're surrounded on all sides by the strange fire. It seems the creature has created an arena of sorts.

You're uncertain whether it was smart enough to do this on purpose, or if it's just an unlucky coincidence.

The whisp is hovering in front of you, staring you down..

Spoiler
    Show

You've decided to play it safe and get ready to dodge your opponent's attacks for now.

Dodge the whisp's next attack
    It doesn't take long for the mossy creature to make it's next move. The whisp takes another deep breath and before you realize it, the area where you're standing is engulfed in flames. The ground below smolders, and the air crackles with heat.

Part 2
    It doesn't look like you made it..

Part 3
    Which just goes to show how masterfully you dodged that attack. You never knew you could be so nimble. You got a little scorched in the process, but you're standing to the side of the whisp. It hasn't noticed your new location, yet.

However, you're fairly angry now and have come to the conclusion that the whisp is a mean jerkface.

Spoiler
    Show

Sneak under the whisp and attack
    You decide a stealthy attack from below is your best shot. You go down as low as you can and sneak around the whisp.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...28F.gif]Part 2
    http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...e29.png]Part 3
    You approach your pray under the cover of darkness and pull it down to it's end.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...0-1.png]Part 4
    You've devoured and absorbed the whisp. Your antennas sink back into you, losing you your ability to communicate with insects. In it's stead, you've grown a small tail with a floaty ball of pretty fire. You're still unsure of possible uses for it. You've also put on a few pounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Explore further
    After another rather uneventful march through the woods, you're happy to finally reach the end of the dank, cold forest! There seems to be a path here, though you're unsure as to where exactly it leads.

Part 2
    You've reached the (s.w.) edge of the Spooky Forest. It has started raining. You being made mostly of water are rather happy about this. Your flame doesn't seem effected by the weather.

Spoiler
    Show
    Walk down the left road
    You hop down the road at a decent pace, trying your best to jump in every puddle in your way. After a few minutes of this you glance upwards and notice how far you've actually gotten.

Part 2
    The road you're following seems to wind on and on, you can't see any end to it. You easily notice a fairly large lake sitting to the side of the path. The other side is bordered by a large grassy plain. The weather shows no signs of letting up soon, not that you mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump into the lake
    You decide walking is for suckers and jump into the lake in front of you.

As you slowly sink through the icy water towards the bottom of the lake, you notice not only several schools of fish but also an inky blackness that reminds you of the forest you just left behind.

It's a good thing you have your flame which, while not burning with it's previous intensity, is still glowing brightly in the murky lake water. As you hit bottom, you already notice a few interesting things in your immediate area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigate the chest
    You look at the Boot-Monster boot-locker you've sunken next to. Other than the unusually large keyhole, it seems fairly plain.

Your quick look tells you that the chest is Iron bound and made of thick wood. The fact that the wood isn't rotted and the lack of algae on it's surface suggests to you that it's not that old.

It's safe to assume that having the key would be one way to open it. Though there are probably alternatives.

Part 2
    Slowly but surely, you start to feel a slight pressure in your body.

Your air is running out.

Spoiler
    Show

Eat a fish
    You understand that you need to act fast. Luckily, you see a fish just behind the grass to your side. You do your best to sneak up on the denizen of the deep and lunge forward!

Unfortunately, do to a combination of your bright flame giving you away and the fish's own clear advantage in water, it gets away.

Part 2
    You blew it. Literally, as the last of your air escapes from you. The world goes dark. While you slowly sink into the oddly soft ground below, you hardly feel the icy water stirring around you.

Part 3

Spoiler
    Show

Just kidding

Part 1
    You freak out when you wake up to see a masked Boot-Snake-Monster leaning above your very not drowned self. It's currently staring, giving you a look of mild interest.

You seem to be laying at the edge of the water. It's a new day and the sun is shining brightly.

Spoiler
    Show

Give a hug to show appreciation
    You decide to hug the strange creature for saving you, because that's how you roll.

Part 1
    " Y-You dummy, it's not like I like you or anything.. "

Part 2
    And with that, the tsundere Boot-Snake-Monster lady dives back into the icy brine. Leaving you alone on the beach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Continue down the road
    You hop with an absent mind down the road. You're not quite sure where you are anymore or where you're actually going. But you don't really care at this point.

You look up to the side of the path.

PArt 1
    You see another Boot-Monster way marker. This one has a shiny noise maker tied to it!

Part 2
    You aren't too sure as to what to make of this..

Spoiler
    Show

Ring the bell
    Either through adventurous ambitions or just not being that bright, you decide to ring the clearly shady noise maker. You gently tug on the cord and the small bell raises and makes a light "Ting!".

Suddenly, you realize that-
    Part 1
    OHNOEVERYTHINGISWRONGWHATHAVEYOUDONEWE'REALLGOINGT ODIE!

Part 2
    False alarm. You've transformed into a classic B-movie villain. Go figure.

What just happened?
    You're laughing maniacally!
    Currently

-----------------

So.. now what?
    I assume you all know the drill by now, but just to be sure, here's how it's hopefully going to work.

This being an interactive comic, you decide what happens. Simply post saying what you'd like the Ooze to do, or where it should go. Once a consensus has been reached I'll end up doing my best to accommodate. (Within reason)

If people can't agree on an decision, I'll end up going with whichever option has the majority of posters for it. Also, I'll try to keep comics under 3 panels for the sake of simplicity.

Final note(s)
    The quality of the art is going to vary extremely from comic to comic.
    I'm mostly making this to have an excuse to practice with my tablet, try out new techniques and ideas etc.

An interactive comic can only work if people *drumroll* interact. If you view the thread I ask that you please put in your two cents on the current course of action. Thanks!

Misc.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-09-24 at 09:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ooze (Interactive)

Yes, well... the plot is a bit confusing... and that boot came with just a warning panel to complicate things further...

Eh, sorry, just a friendly jibe. I really like your art style, and it would be cool to see more of it!
    Can Mr.Ooze dally around until it spots a pack of ants carrying around a beetle's corpse and then pick a fight with them over its possession, or is it too early to start a brawl?
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like Ooze to go kill a sunflower.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hmm, interesting. I think our ooze should take some time to drink from the river; it just escaped a harrowing encounter!
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Seconded Andre.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'll third that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, well... the plot is a bit confusing... and that boot came with just a warning panel to complicate things further...
    Sorry about that, I'll try to clean up the intro comics later. I suppose they made more sense in my head.

Anyways, next comic.

Can Mr.Ooze dally around until it spots a pack of ants carrying around a beetle's corpse and then pick a fight with them over its possession?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Seconded Andre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I'll third that.
    Comic

You found some ants and promptly stole the precious beetle they were carrying. After refusing to return their treasure to them, a few larger ants have gathered around you. They look pretty ticked off.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-07-17 at 12:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

but you are slime! poring!
    go to doing-doing and kill all the ant!
    smash him!
    drow him!
    or, if you are realy light.. run :P
    link to my comic look at spoiler -Update 30.4.13

if you did not understand my contribution - to the cursed Google Talk (and my inability to learn foreign languages)
    Notice - if you lost PonyTars made by me, look here - >
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Akrim13/PonyAvatars/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ24

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomeWizardGuy

You have your prize, now put it to use! Absorb the beetle and arm yourself with its weaponry, and prepare for the ant army!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

(first, good luck. Those MSPa like kind of games generaly tend to be petty short lived on those forums. hop this one will live longer than usual;

second: cute. Nice drawing style too. colors felabit too bright though, IMO

Third:
    >Ooze harder
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-07-15 at 01:15 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

This looks like fun...

Quickly eat the beetle and run.
    Well... You know what I mean.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, eat beetle then run, sounds like a plan.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Mario jump on ants
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-07-15 at 02:12 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Eat the ants!
    Despite everything, its still me.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Thirded eat the beetle then ooze.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Sorry about that, I'll try to clean up the intro comics later. I suppose they made more sense in my head. :smalltongue
    I was just pulling your leg a little, it actually made sense with a second readthrough.

And they are red ants to boot! Those are more dangerous than the black ones! Munch beetle, and let's see if there's any useful power to be had there...
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

eat the beetle then ooze.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Clearly you should eat the beetle and then fly away on your new beetle wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Main post cleaned up a little bit, a few images turned to links for bandwidths sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    tend to be petty short lived on those forums
    While I don't intend for this to go on forever I do hope for it to go on for a while at least. I don't intend to just up and abandon this. So expect it to go on until we either hit "the end" or until people just stop posting ideas for X reason.
    second: Colors felabit too bright though, IMO
    Supposed to be overly bright and cheery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Clearly you should eat the beetle and then fly away on your new beetle wings.
    Unfortunately, wings are rather pointless when you consist of a substance akin to cheap hair-gel.

New comic + Location - Eat the beetle and run

Spoiler
    Show

You quickly devour the stolen beetle.

Among some smaller changes, it seems the transformation lost you your tentacle and replaced it with antennas. Which are nearly useless to you, given your already adequate eyesight. On the bright side you now receive over 300 channels.

You "run" nonstop until evening sets in.

You arrive in the Spooky Forest.

Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-07-17 at 03:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Use your new antennae's amazing channel-surfing ability to offset any morale penalty incurred by the 'spookiness' of the Spooky Forest, preferably by listening to some Marvin Gaye.

Explore to the tune of "What's Goin' On".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Use your new antennae's amazing channel-surfing ability to offset any morale penalty incurred by the 'spookiness' of the Spooky Forest, preferably by listening to some Marvin Gaye.

Explore to the tune of "What's Goin' On".
    I agree with this, although perhaps not with that choice of song.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Eat ALL the ants!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

My advice:

People don't call it the Spooky Forest because it's full of rainbows, sunshine and kittens. Using our newfound beetleness, I suggest going to look for one of the local insects and talking with them to see if there's anything nasty or anything delicious in there.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    My advice:

People don't call it the Spooky Forest because it's full of rainbows, sunshine and kittens. Using our newfound beetleness, I suggest going to look for one of the local insects and talking with them to see if there's anything nasty or anything delicious in there.
    Why wont we just eat these insects and probably anything else we find on our path?
    to grow large and eat all humans!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

dont grow realy fast!
    you body is not indestructible and here is still risk of exploding :P
    link to my comic look at spoiler -Update 30.4.13

if you did not understand my contribution - to the cursed Google Talk (and my inability to learn foreign languages)
    Notice - if you lost PonyTars made by me, look here - >
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Akrim13/PonyAvatars/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ24

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    My advice:

Seconded.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Seconded.
    I'll third that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

and yet again, in an interactive comic, i am the voice of evil left ignored.
    cmon guys! it would worth it!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The Legend of The BEAST is back? Sorta.

Anyway, I want to read more.

--- Climb that wall---
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    The Legend of The BEAST is back?
    Hah, this is a looong ways away from being as cool as that. Though you could say it was the main source of inspiration for the stuff here.
    Anyways, I want to read more.
    The more people post, the more suggestions get thrown in. The more comics I can make.
    Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    I am the voice of evil left ignored.
    cmon guys! it would worth it!
    The problem with the playground is that there's a real lack of evil around here. Too many goodie-two shoes.
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-07-19 at 08:32 AM.