New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Seeking weapon quality

The rogue in the party just got +4 light crossbow with the Seeking property

Seeking

Only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Strong divination; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true seeing; Price +1 bonus.

And the DM has interpreted it to mean that from now on, the rogue auto hits enemies and just rolls for crit chance. I'm don't believe that's what the ability actually does. Your thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Seeking weapon quality

if your DM is correct thats the best weapon quality ever...only 8000 and change gp for an auto hit longbow!

no the way I read it is it negates miss chances...such as from darkness, invisibility, blur, as long as they aim in the correct square

so they have to know what square the enemy is in

then roll to hit and actually hit the AC of the enemy...but no longer need to roll x% miss chance

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbite View Post
    And the DM has interpreted it to mean that from now on, the rogue auto hits enemies and just rolls for crit chance. I'm don't believe that's what the ability actually does. Your thoughts?
    Your DM is wrong. All it does is negate miss chances. You still have to roll to hit, if you didn't have to roll to hit, it'd SAY that.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Seeking negates "miss chance". In D&D, that is a specific term that does not mean "chance to miss the target". It means "in addition to the attack roll, you also have to beat a fixed percentile roll in order to hit". Seeking removes the additional percentile roll, but the normal attack roll remains.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

No, not at all. "Miss chance" has a very specific meaning, it's granted by thing like concealment and invisiblity, and it's allways a % roll. An enemy's armor class is not a miss chance, and seeking has no effect on it.

If it doesn't specifically say "miss chance" then it isn't. Incorporeal creautres for example have "a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source" which seeking would not work on.
    Last edited by Moriato; 2011-04-08 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As those above have said. However, an autohit bow might actually be a nerf for a rogue - without an attack roll, sneak attack wouldn't trigger.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    As those above have said. However, an autohit bow might actually be a nerf for a rogue - without an attack roll, sneak attack wouldn't trigger.
    why not? if they still hit and need to roll to crit...they must be hitting, if it is a sneak attack eligible hit then why not?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by person29 View Post
    why not? if they still hit and need to roll to crit...they must be hitting, if it is a sneak attack eligible hit then why not?
    If the attack does not check for AC, the target is not denied Dexterity to AC for the attack. Sneak attack doesn't apply to things like Magic Missile for the same reason.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That requirement (an attack roll) is specific to sneak attacking with weaponlike spells. You've still got to meet the normal enabling conditions (flanking, or target denied DEX bonus to AC) for sneak attack in any case.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    That requirement (an attack roll) is specific to sneak attacking with weaponlike spells. You've still got to meet the normal enabling conditions (flanking, or target denied DEX bonus to AC) for sneak attack in any case.
    Just to be clear this, would a dragon with rogue levels then potentially be able to sneak attack with a breath weapon?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

No because it's an area attack that doesn't even use an attack roll. He can sneak attack with claws and bite though.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    No because it's an area attack that doesn't even use an attack roll. He can sneak attack with claws and bite though.
    To clarify, an attack roll isn't required except for weaponlike spells. But an attack definitely is. A breath weapon affects an area and deals damage, but doesn't constitute an attack.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"A creature attacking with a breath weapon..."

"Special Attacks: Breath weapon"

If a breath weapon is not an attack, why is it called an attack?
    Last edited by Cog; 2011-04-08 at 02:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Cog...can you sneak attack with a fireball?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can't, but it would be a lot funnier if you could. Imagine sneak attacking someone with a fireball to the small of the back.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sarco_Phage View Post
    You can't, but it would be a lot funnier if you could. Imagine sneak attacking someone with a fireball to the small of the back.
    haha agreed

but thats the point, since there is no attack roll can't be a sneak attack

with the proposed auto-hit bow there is an attack roll just the initial one isn't made, you make one just to see if you crit

so even if you don't crit you hit...so if within 30' and target is denied dex bonus/sneak attack requirements are made then sneak attack away!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

No, explicitly not. Fireball is a spell, and spells need attack rolls. Likewise, I earlier pointed out that Magic Missile doesn't qualify for sneak attack.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing for this. I'm merely following through on the argument presented here:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Isn't there a prestige class that lets you apply sneak attack to rays and another ability that lets you turn spells into ray spells?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't there a prestige class that lets you apply sneak attack to rays and another ability that lets you turn spells into ray spells?
    Spellwarp Sniper is what you're thinking of, but rays (requiring an attack roll) qualify for sneak attack already.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

You don't need a PrC to get SA on rays. Most rays are already weaponlike. Any spell that has an attack roll (all rays do) and deals damage or inflicts negative levels (most rays do, few exceptions) qualifies. Consult Complete Arcane (Weaponlike Spells) for more details.

Spellwarped Sniper in Complete Scoundrel is the class that turns AoEs into rays. Its...decent in most cases, rather abusive in special cases such as with spells like Frost Breath or Wings of Flurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I was referring only to the issue of qualifying for sneak attack. I thought that went without saying, so I didn't. My error.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I was referring only to the issue of qualifying for sneak attack. I thought that went without saying, so I didn't. My error.
    the rogue auto hits enemies and just rolls for crit chance.
    Without an actual attack roll, I don't see how this is any more an attack than breathing fire or firing Magic Missiles. It's not just a massive increase to the attack roll - there's no opportunity for the rogue in question to roll a one and miss outright.

Now, if the original statement is an oversimplification and the rogue actually has to aim, then fine. If that's the case, though, I'd never have made my initial comment.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Without an actual attack roll, I don't see how this is any more an attack than breathing fire or firing Magic Missiles. It's not just a massive increase to the attack roll - there's no opportunity for the rogue in question to roll a one and miss outright.

Now, if the original statement is an oversimplification and the rogue actually has to aim, then fine. If that's the case, though, I'd never have made my initial comment.
    I can't find anywhere that it says that sneak attack requires an attack roll. In fact, a Coup De Grace doesn't require an attack roll, but it specifically says that rogues do get sneak attack damage.

Logically I see where you're coming from. If the arrow or bolt or whatever is aiming itself, then there's really no way to make it strike a "vital area"

The problem here is that auto-hit abilities.. just don't really exist. So there's no precedent, except for coup de grace which says they do get SA.
    Last edited by Moriato; 2011-04-08 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    I can't find anywhere that it says that sneak attack requires an attack roll. In fact, a Coup De Grace doesn't require an attack roll, but it specifically says that rogues do get sneak attack damage.
    The problem is, does it say that with the intent of setting a precedent, or does it say that because it's an exception?
    Logically I see where you're coming from. If the arrow or bolt or whatever is aiming itself, then there's really no way to make it strike a "vital area"
    Exactly my thoughts, yeah.