Release Date: 5/10/2011

[hr]

Videos
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWV8N4yBLY
    Brink - The Last Stand: Dev Diary 1 | HD

[hr]

Was odd not seeing any threads for this game, considering it is coming out in one and a half weeks. It's also been getting a fair bit of advertising.

Already have my copy preordered via STEAM, anyone else getting into this game?
    Last edited by Treayn; 2011-04-29 at 09:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Brink

I'm getting it. It looks like Mirror's Edge with better gunplay.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

After the tragically underrated masterpiece that was Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Splash Damage is one of the few developers in which I place nearly unconditional trust. Since this looks like it takes the good parts of ETQW (infantry combat and specialized yet adaptable classes) and expands it, I'm all over this like white on rice.

My only worry at this point is that unlocks will screw it up. The whole leveling mechanic in a shooter is at best a wash for me, and in something deeply competitive like Brink, it seems more likely to be a negative. On the other hand apparently everything can be unlocked in singleplayer as well, and the unlocks are designed towards a horizontal expansion of options instead of a vertical increase in power. Given SD's proven ability to balance stuff, I'm cautiously optimistic this won't prove a major flaw.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Considering last interview didn't even mention PC version exists, gotta assume it's gonna be yet another console port, definitely not buying until I see or hear otherwise.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink_(video_game)

That says it's on computer.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    i know PC version exists,
    but is it gonna be any good,
    are the controls optimised for WASD,
    do we get PC hud,
    is graphic gone be optimised for PC
    or do we get low res console graphics which still cant run 60 FPS on newest PC

7. - Top - End - #7

I am quite excited for Brink- not enough to pre-order, though. The concept for both the world and the combat sounds great, and the character customisation seems pretty sweet. But if other GitP'ers are pre-ordering this, maybe I could take a little nibble out of my student loan to get it...
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Smight View Post
    i know PC version exists,
    but is it gonna be any good,
    are the controls optimised for WASD,
    do we get PC hud,
    is graphic gone be optimised for PC
    or do we get low res console graphics which still cant run 60 FPS on newest PC
    It's developed for the PC itself, not ported from consoles. And it's developed by this team which clearly has experience with developing First Person Shooters for the superior platform the platform they are meant for the PC.

After years upon years of modern combat shooters and the like, this is the first multiplayer shooter I've really got any interest in. I like the scenario and the look of it, and the movement system sounds and looks really cool. Might be the first multiplayer shooter I'm getting since Left 4 Dead 2 came out.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I'd say "Assassin's Creed" with gunplay, since the SMART system takes out the bit that made the freerunning so good in Mirror's Edge - that every move you did was a combination you had to manage yourself. Assassin's Creed movement was fun too, but it was the same kind of "press the freerun button to freerun" that SMART is providing.

Still, it looks like a good combination; I haven't preordered it, because if I did I wouldn't be able to resist playing through when I should be studying for finals, but I'll probably buy it after finals if it still looks as good after launch.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    I'd say "Assassin's Creed" with gunplay, since the SMART system takes out the bit that made the freerunning so good in Mirror's Edge - that every move you did was a combination you had to manage yourself. Assassin's Creed movement was fun too, but it was the same kind of "press the freerun button to freerun" that SMART is providing.

Well, that's not true. SMART didn't 'take out' Mirror's Edge style freerunning, this has been specifically addressed a number of times by the dev team. Freerunning can be done manually, and it's slightly faster when you do it that way. The SMART button, as I understand it, is just an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Well, that's not true. SMART didn't 'take out' Mirror's Edge style freerunning, this has been specifically addressed a number of times by the dev team. Freerunning can be done manually, and it's slightly faster when you do it that way. The SMART button, as I understand it, is just an option.
    I'm sure the movement will be cool and all, but it's really not what's exciting me about Brink. SD does very good objective based gameplay coupled with some pretty superb map design*, and id Tech 4 is one of my favorite shooter engines in terms of responsiveness and general handling. Basically I'm looking forwards to satisfying gunplay in a well structured environment.

*Consider say the Slipgate map from Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Most singleplayer shooters don't manage to have a map that interesting or well designed.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Oh, sorry - the trailers I saw showed off objectives, classes/character customization, and SMART, but didn't mention ordinary freerunning, so I didn't realize it was in there in addition to SMART.

Does that mean there's a key/button for switching control contexts between movement and combat? I'm having a hard time seeing the degree of movement control Mirror's Edge provided and seeing a good FPS sharing the same input otherwise.

Still, if I wasn't already likely to buy it, that news probably would have been the tipping point, so thanks

13. - Top - End - #13

I pretty much just found out about this game yesterday...and I'm probably gonna get it! My computer looks like it barely makes the minimum specs though, hope I can still run it

Haven't played a good FPS in a while...if theres some playgrounders who are getting it maybe we can make some sort of clan or something?
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    Does that mean there's a key/button for switching control contexts between movement and combat? I'm having a hard time seeing the degree of movement control Mirror's Edge provided and seeing a good FPS sharing the same input otherwise.
    You can't expect an FPS to match Mirror's Edge, that's not the goal of an FPS. Mirror's Edge was a game about parkour and that's where the fun was, while Brink is a team based shooter that uses freerunning as a method of intuitive environments. As I understand it, it'll control with just your jump, crouch and sprint buttons. Though the sprint button might be the SMART button, or is it just also the SMART button by default, I'm not too clear on that.. Have to see next week, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMuldoon View Post
    I pretty much just found out about this game yesterday...and I'm probably gonna get it! My computer looks like it barely makes the minimum specs though, hope I can still run it
    I have a terribly broken graphics card that will pretty barely meet the specs myself, if that's it. I'll be upgrading in the next month or so. But what I've been doing up until now, is running games in a much much lower resolution in windowed mode, usually on lower or lowest end settings. Usually if I'm playing at 800x600 I can afford a small bit of quality, though. Some games don't support windowed as an option, though I expect Brink to. If it doesn't, -windowed as an option usually works. Since Brink is in Steam, you would just have to throw that in Properties > Set launch options.
    Last edited by KBF; 2011-05-04 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    And thus, we jump back to the fact that a game where guns were not the focus apparently were the focus.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    And thus, we jump back to the fact that a game where guns were not the focus apparently were the focus.
    I think we've all agreed to use the other thread.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have two problems.
    1.) The most pressing: my computer is a laptop just starting its fifth year. Laptop * half-a-decade-old = insufficient.
    2.) The art style isn't exactly my favorite. Why does everyone have sleeve tattoos? I don't mind a few guys having tattoos, or it being an optional choice when creating a character, but mandatory tattoos makes it a little too "dirty" feeling for my taste.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I have two problems.
    1.) The most pressing: my computer is a laptop just starting its fifth year. Laptop * half-a-decade-old = insufficient.
    2.) The art style isn't exactly my favorite. Why does everyone have sleeve tattoos? I don't mind a few guys having tattoos, or it being an optional choice when creating a character, but mandatory tattoos makes it a little too "dirty" feeling for my taste.
    It's optional when you make the character, if iirc
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yeah, tattoos are completely optional. They are, however, permanent on whatever character you put them on.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Oh, that's good. Just that all the screenshots of characters I'd seen were of guys with almost all their exposed skin covered with ink.