New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Portal 2: The Cake Is Still A Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Subtitles are bound to spoil any joke.

I think the main problem with that bit was the loud noise wasn't loud enough, I wasn't remotely startled.
    Well, you don't want to blow out your players' hearing. I'd have liked the horn to sound before "loud", since I braced myself immediately for a loud noise after I heard that.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    He came in pretty much exactly where I thought he would, and it was similar to how I felt I'd feel about the game.

Don't get me wrong, I love Portal 2, but I felt like it would be literally impossible for it to properly measure up, because so much of Portal's WOW factor was how it wasn't hyped up, and how excellent it was. At it's core, Portal is very simplistic, and there's only so much they can do to improve on that. A lot of the bonus comes from the humor.

Co-op was fantastic, and while the story was nice, I felt it dragged things down a little bit in the overall 'oooh, portal puzzles!' aspect.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

On the train joke: I knew what was coming up even without subtitles, so I wasn't really surprised. I could appreciate the joke for what it was, though.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-05-05 at 05:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    On the train joke: I knew what was coming up even without subtitles, so I wasn't really surprised. I could appreciate the joke for what it was, though.
    GlaDos is one of the most passive aggressive personalities ever. I love how she implies you're fat.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    GlaDos is one of the most passive aggressive personalities ever. I love how she implies you're fat.
    Agreed.
    "This Faith Plate must not be calibrated for someone of your... generosity. I'll tack on a few zeros to the maximum weight."
    "You know what? I'll just lower the ceiling."
    "Look at you. Flying through the air like an eagle. Piloting a blimp."
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Well, you don't want to blow out your players' hearing.
    You do however also want a "loud noise" to actually be louder than the spoken line.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    At it's core, Portal is very simplistic, and there's only so much they can do to improve on that.
    Like having actual puzzles which couldn't be instinctively solved like they were in Portal 1.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-05 at 05:55 PM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    Agreed.
    "This Faith Plate must not be calibrated for someone of your... generosity. I'll tack on a few zeros to the maximum weight."
    "You know what? I'll just lower the ceiling."
    "Look at you. Flying through the air like an eagle. Piloting a blimp."
    close, it wasnt "generosity" it was "generous...ness"
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Like having actual puzzles which couldn't be instinctively solved like they were in Portal 1.
    So what, hit faith plait, plot portals 1 and 2 down before hitting tilted platform, plot portals 1 and 2 down again on diffrent platforms to keep momentum, plop portal 1 down, hit button, drop portal 2 on ceiling above you so you can catch falling box midair before landing infront of exit door?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    So what, hit faith plait, plot portals 1 and 2 down before hitting tilted platform, plot portals 1 and 2 down again on diffrent platforms to keep momentum, plop portal 1 down, hit button, drop portal 2 on ceiling above you so you can catch falling box midair before landing infront of exit door?
    Basically most of the puzzles in Portal 2 which weren't just introducing new elements to the game.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh... The single-player puzzles in Portal 2, with maybe one or two exceptions, were all really easy compared to the later puzzles of Portal, and especially compared to the advanced test chambers. In fact, I'd say overly-easy puzzles in the single-player mode was one of my biggest issues with the game.
    Last edited by Worira; 2011-05-05 at 06:40 PM. Reason: co-op puzzles is hella keen
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    later puzzles of Portal
    Give an example.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-05 at 06:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

I'd enjoy Portal puzzles that had dead ends, or weren't immediately obvious.

An example of this would be that one chamber with 3 lasers, 2 laser blocks, and 3 receptors. The solution that they want you to use involves shooting all three lasers into a single portal.

That wasn't immediately obvious to me, for some reason. I expected more from them. I spent 20 minutes trying to mess around with the laser blocks. Redirecting some lasers into the receptors with the laser blocks, and one or two with the portal. I didn't actually expect them to simply route all the lasers through one portal. It was simplistic, but it made me smack my head with the "Oh! It's so obvious!" moment. I enjoyed that.

I think the ultimate factor about what made that chamber so rewarding is that the entirety of the chamber (with it's fancy "looookin' gooooooood" appearance) was portal-able. Most other chambers had steel unportal-able tiles all over the place, and the puzzles were decided simply on a "There are four spots where I can put Portals, what order do I put them in" basis, instead of a "Where should I place my portals".

I enjoyed the one chamber with all the faith plates (the garbage one with the Rat Den) since there were so many neat ways to solve it. I can think of 6 different ways to get the block onto the button. 4 of which don't even involve touching the block directly. It has a creative thrill akin to Armadillo Run or The Incredible Machine.

I enjoyed the Cave Johnson bits of the game. Not so much because of the aesthetic or the puzzles (depressing and stupidly tedious, respectively) but because of the dialogue and story hidden behind it all. The puzzles themselves were just basic "Here's some gels. Now spend 5 minutes trying to get them in obvious places (while raging at their goop physics not covering everything that they should) to do something immediately obvious" puzzles, or simply just "Cart a block around or zip along some gels to get to the other side" puzzles.

As far as I can tell, Valve, with their admirable quality assessment and play-testing, just railroaded everything if a playtester expressed 10 seconds of confusion. Yahtzee may have said this, but it bears repeating. I was actually absolutely amazed at one of the level commentaries (in the chamber with the laser, and chamber-wide emancipation grill) where they stated that they had to redesign the level lots of times because playtesters were becoming confused, and that playtesters didn't actually know what an emancipation grill did. I wondered to myself. "How stupid can these playtesters be?"

Most of the co-op levels were a great level of difficulty. Everything slowly clicks together, and everything isn't immediately obvious and tedious to carry through. I hope that they model the Summer Map Pack on that design philosophy, not the "Oh no our playtesters are confused if we don't railroad them" philosophy.
    Last edited by RPharazon; 2011-05-05 at 06:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Uh... The single-player puzzles in Portal 2, with maybe one or two exceptions, were all really easy compared to the later puzzles of Portal, and especially compared to the advanced test chambers. In fact, I'd say overly-easy puzzles in the single-player mode was one of my biggest issues with the game.
    Maybe I'm just used to thinking with portals now, but yeah I too felt this game's puzzles were easier. The one time I got stuck on one was getting into the quarantine zone because I couldn't find the first place you're supposed to protal too.

Really, that took embarrassingly long to find.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Firbolg in the Playground

Take off the rose colored glasses. The only remotely hard part in portal 1 was the second to last test chamber where you had to keep shooting portals higher up while falling at terminal velocity. And even that wasn't hard so much as frustrating til you got the timing of it down.

As for advanced test chambers, I was under the impression we were able to look forward to getting some advanced test chambers for portal 2 later on, but I could be mistaken about that.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

Give an example.
    I'd say 13 and on, where the game really steps out of tutorial mode and starts throwing real puzzles at you.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Concerning Portal 1 vs Portal 2, Portal 2 can't stand up less because of simplicity, and more because of innovation.

Yes portal 1 was a wonderfully straightforward game, slim, short, sweet, and perfect.
    But people didn't love it because it was streamlined, they loved it because it was innovative. It was a unique game experience.

Had they been released simultaneously, people would say Portal 2 was the better game. As it is, Portal 2 doesn't get the points Portal 1 did for innovation.
    Nobody remembers the second man on the moon.
    Okay, plenty of people probably do, but you know what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Take off the rose colored glasses. The only remotely hard part in portal 1 was the second to last test chamber where you had to keep shooting portals higher up while falling at terminal velocity. And even that wasn't hard so much as frustrating til you got the timing of it down.

As for advanced test chambers, I was under the impression we were able to look forward to getting some advanced test chambers for portal 2 later on, but I could be mistaken about that.
    Really? That's the one that gave you trouble? That was the one I remember being disappointed how easy it was to get through.

But by the same token, jeez there were some levels that took me forever that you claim to be obvious. So, kudos there.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2011-05-05 at 07:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Really? That's the one that gave you trouble? That was the one I remember being disappointed how easy it was to get through.

But by the same token, jeez there were some levels that took me forever that you claim to be obvious. So, kudos there.
    The puzzles themselves never seemed hard in terms of knowing what to do, but I apparently have below average coordination, so anything involving shooting while moving wound up giving me some trouble, and I wasted a lot of time on the part I mentioned.

I guess you could give an honorable mention for the run to GLaDOS, but that was less a puzzle as opposed to "which way am I supposed to go next?"

On the other hand, like I mentioned upthread, I didn't actually play Portal 2, being short on money, and not finding the puzzle aspect of the game worth paying 50 dollars at the moment. I watched the full thing, and I can see the argument that most of the puzzles are very straightforward, but I didn't think it was any worse than Portal 1.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post

Right. Opinions are opinions are opinions. I'm pretty sure I had much more trouble with Portal 2 puzzles than Portal 1 puzzles. The one in the second game that has you faith plate through an excursion funnel you have to turn off -- that took me a while to figure out. The last one, with the blue gel and the excursion funnel -- another while. The one where Wheatley crams two together and you get a glimpse of P-Body, took me a long time to find that one portable wall way in the back.

The only one I remember giving me a sizable hassle in the first game was 18, I believe. Where you have to whack all the turrets off their platforms with energy balls. Specifically, I couldn't figure out how to get to the cube for quite a while.

But different people solve different puzzles with differing amounts of ease. I don't think we can come to a consensus on which game's puzzles were all glaringly obvious.

I will say, though, that Portal had many reflex puzzles, where the difficulty comes from being fast enough and doing everything right with a limited amount of time. Portal 2 had... approximately none of that. If you figured it out, you could do it. Whereas in the first you could figure it out and then take 5 tries to get it right.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-05-05 at 07:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say 13 and on, where the game really steps out of tutorial mode and starts throwing real puzzles at you.
    All very instinctive stuff. The first thing you tried when solving them was often the correct solution, (heck often it was the only option).

In contrast with Portal 2 the first thing you tried would often be hit by unforseen consequences complications, like a vital asset which you no longer have use of because you're already using it for something else and you therefore need to find a viable substitute for it's initial use.

As far as I can tell there are two reasons to think Portal 1 was harder, the first is looking at dexterous difficulty, which doesn't really make the puzzles harder.

The second is, as Dienekes said, unfamiliarity with the portals themselves. Portal 1 does spend alot more time testing your knowledge of how the portals can be used. But the problem is that can be incredibly instinctive for some people.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-06 at 09:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin
    Never played a game of D&D in my life, but I still love OotS.

Army of the One Free Man.

Clarence Clemons Memorial Avatar by Dorian Soth

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I feel the same. I didn't have any problems solving any of the puzzles in Portal 2, except for one I though was too obvious and there had to be a different way to solve it. By contrast, I did have difficulty with many of the later stage levels in Portal, which made my enjoyment all the greater when I completed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scienceguy8 View Post
    Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin
    Psst. Check the white text.
    Last edited by Gaelbert; 2011-05-05 at 08:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=BRC;10932370]Nobody remembers the second man on the moon.
    /QUOTE]

A better way to say it would be:
    Nobody remembers Einstein's brother.
    I mean, look what thread we're in!
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by master256 View Post
    A better way to say it would be:
    Nobody remembers Einstein's brother.
    I mean, look what thread we're in!
    Einstein didn't have a brother...
    Last edited by Gaelbert; 2011-05-05 at 08:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    I'm referencing the co-op mode.
    "Just remember, like Albert Einstein and his brother Larry, history will only remember one of you."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    You're just proving his point!
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by scienceguy8 View Post
    Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin
    Oh!

The 30 Rock guy!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

So, I beat Portal 2 single player. Honestly, I did not see that ending coming. It was pretty awesome, to tell the truth. And some people complain it was too short, for me, it was so long that I had to take 2 quite long breaks because my brain fizzed out from the puzzles.

Anyways, I am now looking for someone to do the Co-op with that has not done any of the Co-op. Meaning, someone who has just, or still is, doing the single player. Anyone who is done or in the process that wants to do Co-op for a first time through with me?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So, I beat Portal 2 single player. Honestly, I did not see that ending coming. It was pretty awesome, to tell the truth. And some people complain it was too short, for me, it was so long that I had to take 2 quite long breaks because my brain fizzed out from the puzzles.

Anyways, I am now looking for someone to do the Co-op with that has not done any of the Co-op. Meaning, someone who has just, or still is, doing the single player. Anyone who is done or in the process that wants to do Co-op for a first time through with me?
    Well, if you can't find anyone else, I can play dumb very well. And I've forgotten how to do almost all the puzzles already.

Understand if that's still too much knowledge, of course.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #600

Imp

Coming this summer…

One’s the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived. The other one’s a box with a heart on it. Together, they are…

THE PORTAL PALS
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.