New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sewing in the playground

Drawing avatars are great and all, but in the end, its just a small 120x120px picture. To top it off, it takes about 1-2 hours each creation for me, and sometimes longer. Two to three more hours, and I get a nice hat that I can wear, sell, and gift away to a friend.

That's why I've taken on the hobby of sewing. My other male friends were sucked into the task of knitting, but that was too grandma-esque for me. I instead starting sewing, and I never look back.

I make hats.

I have a deviantart page. http://yitsockl.deviantart.com/gallery/

And I have no inspiration to make any new hats.

And I'm curious if there are anyone else who are fellow "sew-ists", so to speak.

...and I have a old thread. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137701 But use the old one for necromancy's sake.
    Last edited by Mr_Saturn; 2011-04-14 at 09:16 PM.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sewing in the playground

I sew! Well, mostly I embroider. I've made pillows and bags. Once I made a pair of pajama pants, but I tend to stick to pillows. Here's my best stuff on Flickr.

And those hats are awesome, by the way!
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2011-04-14 at 09:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I like your hats (although I'm disappointed by the lack of "Cthulhu/Mind flayer nomming on the wearer's head" hats ). I don't do all that much sewing, but I do do a fair amount of needlework of all sorts. Does that count?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

[reads thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Saturn View Post
    My other male friends were sucked into the task of knitting, but that was too grandma-esque for me.
    [finishes row then pauses to glare at Mr_Saturn before recommencing the next one]

I had a flatmate who used to refer to me as the flat Grandma, actually, due to the knitting needles being an almost permenant fixture in my hands and the fact that I'm hilariously out of touch.

Sewing is good too though. I knit, crochet, quilt, tat, needle felt, embroider and sculpt and have dabbled in weaving and beading (I suspect I've missed somethings out, but hey ho). Most of my sewing's been sewing of knitted items but I've done projects in fabric here and there. Knitting's still my personal favourite though with crochet in second place. I approve of your male knitting friends though: the guys that attend our uni knit soc are usually objects of great curiosity and admiration... there's no shame in participating in this once-male-dominated craft! (examples: fishermen knitting themselves ganseys out at sea and sock knitting where women used to be allowed to knit the socks but only a man could shoulder the responsibility for turning the heels [roll-eyes])

Both Mr_Saturn and Mauve Shirt have made some pretty awesome things. I'd put a link up to some of my projects on craftster but I've not really been keeping my account up to date.
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-04-15 at 08:32 AM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Epic hats.
    You should make a Xykon hat.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #6

realy fantastic work!
    im envy... i only know knitting sock...
    link to my comic look at spoiler -Update 30.4.13

if you did not understand my contribution - to the cursed Google Talk (and my inability to learn foreign languages)
    Notice - if you lost PonyTars made by me, look here - >
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n159/Akrim13/PonyAvatars/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ24

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post
    [finishes row then pauses to glare at Mr_Saturn before recommencing the next one]

I had a flatmate who used to refer to me as the flat Grandma, actually, due to the knitting needles being an almost permenant fixture in my hands and the fact that I'm hilariously out of touch.

Both Mr_Saturn and Mauve Shirt have made some pretty awesome things. I'd put a link up to some of my projects on craftster but I've not really been keeping my account up to date.
    Oh noes! Not the glare! I have nothing against knitting. I actually lift my hat up to you all because I cannot for the life of me understand how you keep track of every loop and end up with a bag, hat, or article of clothing with a single string of yarn.

Sewing is so much easier. Although a sewing machine is a bit of a luxury. My friend bought me a nice one against my better wishes.

But I actually would like to have some suggestions on some hat concepts that I can eventually make... A Xykon hat doesnt tickle my fancy though.

I constantly browse deviant art wondering if I can replicate something.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

But I actually would like to have some suggestions on some hat concepts that I can eventually make... A Xykon hat doesnt tickle my fancy though.
    How about a Yikyik hat?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    How about a Yikyik hat?
    And Yokyok.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #10

Oh noes! Not the glare! I have nothing against knitting. I actually lift my hat up to you all because I cannot for the life of me understand how you keep track of every loop and end up with a bag, hat, or article of clothing with a single string of yarn.
    Ah 's'ok. Worse things have been said about my beloved craft!
    Ironically enough it's the sewing up that took me the longest to get the hang of, so different strokes for different folks.
    (I was not good at keeping my stitches even or anchoring my thread and ends...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn
    Sewing is so much easier. Although a sewing machine is a bit of a luxury. My friend bought me a nice one against my better wishes.
    Yes... I got my sewing machine with birthday money and from Lidl (for those unaware that's a bargain store which isn't especially known for it's sewing machines ) My intention was to become a sewing master and make everything under the sun from cloth salvaged from charity shops. That... hasn't exactly happened. [Is frightened of the sewing machine]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Saturn

I constantly browse deviant art wondering if I can replicate something.
    A yikyik/yokyok hat does seem to be the best idea for an OotS themed hat, although that one would probably be a make that'd be best kept to something for yourself or a gift.

Most of the hats in you're deviantArt gallery are more out there than I'd wear myself so I don't know where the line is between kitch and a bit too wacky, but I'll throw out a couple of suggestions that could be fun to make anyhow:

- An imitation plaid deerstalker where the plaid's sewn on in strips
    - A "Native American" headdress inspired earflap hat
    - Tutankammon headdress inspired earflap hat
    - 'Coonskin/ Davey Crocket style hat
    - Charizard hat (you've made a bulbasaur hat and a wartortle hat. For completism I felt I had to mention that one)
    - horned hats e.g: buffalo, devil, ram...
    - On the pokémon theme Meowth would probably be a good one to do as a hat
    - An Asterix hat (French cartoon character who wears a silver helmet with wings on the side)
    - mohawk hat
    - Gravity defying animé hair hat (a cross between a hat and a wig and very silly. Inspiration for this comes from knitting patterns I've seen for Elvis wigs etc.)
    - a hat with holes/ a hole for ponytail(s) to go through (again, seen knitting patterns for these, not actually a bad idea if you know someone who always has their hair up )
    - cupcake hat (personally I've seen so many cupcake crafts that I could do without seeing this one, but other people might like it!)
    - eggshell hat?
    - rubix cube or tetris themed hat
    - a scrabble themed hat with velcro letters
    - some sort of Salvidore Dali melting clocks themed hat?
    - a carrot top hat, particularly if you know a read head (by carrot top I'm picturing an orange beanie with a long green tassel/ pony tail type thing coming down from the middle of the top, pretty silly but good for a joke present perhaps?)
    - a klein bottle hat for any physics nerds you know (actually, knitty has a few different twists on hats, including the ponytail hat and a coonskin)

Another good place to look for inspiration would be craftster, I've seen a lot of novelty hats on that site by far the most predominant hat has been variations on Jayne Cobb's hat (I believe he's a character from Firefly? The hat's an earflap one with a bobble and is in sort of candycorn colours)

That's probably enough suggestions from me now.

Edited to Add:
    And yet, I feel I'd be remiss in ommiting the suggestion of a unicorn hat or something starwars related... an orange hood like Wicket's perhaps? A couple of the aliens could make headdress style hat designs too, and I guess a Yoda hat could be pretty straight forward.
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-04-18 at 03:18 PM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra