New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Optimizing my paladin for Pathfinder

Hey there peoples, I was wondering if any of you could give me a few advice on how to optimize my paladin in pathfinder. He is currently level 1 but I would like to have a few hints on how to make him ''overpowered'' in the future.

If its not possible tell me I will go back on my druid. Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Optimizing my paladin for Pathfinder

I don't think anyone can ever call a Paladin overpowered, even in Pathfinder.

There are many ways to optimize, which do you want to do? mounted combat? two-handed sword? Archery? There are out of combat ways to optimize too such as Diplomacy and becoming the party face. In terms of raw power, the Druid would be a better choice. We'd need a little more info in what you want to do to help but I cant start you up with this Paladin optimization guide:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/commu.../cryptic-s-lab

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks I will look at it carefully.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Be an archer paladin, it's proven to have the highest DPR you can get, which is magnified by Smite Evil.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

In addition to Sarakos's questions about type of Paladin, what sources do you have available? PF only or can you use 3.5 books?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Saddle Surge (get a wand) and Mounted Archery is a nice combo.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Im only allowed pathfinders books because i once tried to become pun-pun I think I will make a range paladin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Also, if making a ranged paladin, you may want to look in to getting the Dervish Dance feat to take advantage of your high dex modifier for those times when you get into close quarters. DD forces you to wield a scimitar one-handed, but you get to add your dex modifier to hit and damage when doing so. Quite useful for a ranged build.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Try to get as many attacks as possible to get the most out of smite. Either run two weapon fighting or archery.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Interesting note is that if you are going to ever use two weapon fighting you should do it with a shield. The shield mastery feat explicitly eliminates two weapon fighting penalties which would include the penalties from imp two weapon fighting and greater two weapon fighting. Ranged does have an easier time of getting full attacks though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I looked deeply onto what you sent me and I dont know if i should build him two-handed weapon or spear (no horse) just spear to abuse attack of opportunity.

I dont feel like using a bow and I cant use my horse in dungeons. Please help me to chose.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skeith View Post
    I cant use my horse in dungeons. Please help me to chose.
    You CAN use your pony in a dungeon if you play a Small race (Gnome/Halfling). As an added bonus both options have a Bonus to CHA. Sadly they also both come with a penalty to Str, but the small size +1 to-hit bonus helps negate that.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I looked deeply onto what you sent me and I dont know if i should build him two-handed weapon or spear (no horse) just spear to abuse attack of opportunity.
    What's the difference?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Drahcir View Post
    What's the difference?
    Well spears = reach weapon and not swords.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Griffon

Use Bonded Weapon instead of Bonded Mount. A Bonded Mount can't go everywhere (mountains, swamps, dungeons). You'll always have a weapon, and the ability works on already magic weapons. Even a simple longsword +1 allow you to tack on a +1 ability such as flaming when you are limited to only +1 bonding.

If your DM likes to use many negative conditions - sickening, frightened, fatigue, etc., Extra Mercy feat can come in handy.

Also, don't channel against undead. Using up two uses of Lay on Hands is too costly for the ability. Let the cleric do that. Only use channeling in emergency situations when you must, must heal more than one character Right Now.
    Last edited by navar100; 2011-04-17 at 06:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

I'd suggest a sword and board paladin who uses the shield for offense as well as defense. It requires a fair amount of feats to pull off but you will get lots of attacks and a maxed AC to boot.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'd go with a falchion or a scimitar + heavy spiked shield, since you can maximize Crit Focus awesomeness later, and any enemy worth his salt will probably not pass through a threatened area if there's a viable alternative.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drahcir, your suggestion is that using the shield as a weapon? Or just as a shield only?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Im only allowed pathfinders books because i once tried to become pun-pun

20. - Top - End - #20

Feats to look into:

- Greater Mercy: Ultimate Magic. extra 1d6 on LOH if the target can't benefit from any of your mercies. Not especially great except as the prereq for the next feat:

- Ultimate Mercy: Ultimate Magic. Expend 10 uses of LOH to cast Raise Dead without needing a material component. One of if not the best paladin feat IMO. Requires Cha 19, but can qualify for it as early as 5th level if built right.

- Fearless Aura: Ultimate Magic. Extends your Aura of Courage by 10 feet, and grants immunity to fear to anyone within the aura. VERY useful. Requires caster level 8 though, so level 11 at the earliest without using shenanigans.

- Unsanctioned Knowledge: Ultimate Magic. Grants you one spell of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th level from bard, cleric, inquisitor, or oracle spell lists. Gives you a much bigger toolbox for your spellcasting. A paladin that can cast Haste is a happy paladin.

- Protective Strike: Faiths of Purity. Give the AC bonus from Smite Evil to another creature. Situational, but could be useful.

- Divine Interference: Ultimate Magic. Spend a spell slot to force enemies to reroll attacks. More useful on a cleric with spell slots to burn, but still very useful for negating crits etc.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm...
    *checks posting dates*

Yup, only 1.5 years old...

TURN UNTHREAD!
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide