New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #631
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Council Room

Gordon sighs as Phil's name is mentioned.

"Him again? Wait, who's dead?"

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

"Phil has been reported dead, yes," Delisle says. "One of his robots brought us the information, along with the location of Riv's current base." She pulls up a satellite view and zooms in on the village of Hamlet and nearby mountain base. "Since this is outside our jurisdiction, Remnant will not be getting involved, unless this becomes a threat to the city."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

Magtok raises an eyebrow. This news wasn't quite as good as what he'd hoped for, but still pretty darned wonderful nonetheless. Just a damn shame Riv isn't in the pile of corpses with Philly, though.

"Have we located and gotten a positive ID on a corpse yet? Cause of death, chance of revival, etc?"

Mag's hoping for that tomb of concrete thing, if at all possible. Maybe dipped in a big ol' vat of anti-magic juice, and launched out of a cannon into space.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if any of my members will be willing to jump into this mess, provided the contract wasn't rendered void by Phil's demise. If they are, though, I'll keep you informed. Outside of Remnant jurisdiction or not, fools with excessive force at their command should be observed.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #635

"Please excuse me for my ignorance, but who exactly is 'Riv'? I have heard about him before and nearly always in the same sense as Phil. Are they rivals or something similar?" Cessie suddenly asks.

6. - Top - End - #636

"Riv is a former AMENite and a mentally unstable terrorist, with vast resources and no qualms about using them to slaughter others. He left the Association because everyone else had some degree of restraint or something, whereas he just wanted to blow everything to hell and pour anti-bacterial resistant plagues into the water supply."

He glances towards Gordon, implying that someone else here would certainly know a lot more about Riv than Maggy would, and that it'd be appreciated if such a person were to speak up.

"Phil, on the other hand, is or was an arms dealer, robotics engineer, and gods know what else, who once worked with Riv on something or other. Creative differences prompted the two to part ways on less than friendly terms, and their self-centered, amoral, insecure personalities both guaranteed that the two would fight again, and that neither would worry too greatly about the innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire."

Magtok looks around the Council, and then shrugs.

"Personally, I'm of the opinion that Phil is or was the lesser of the two obnoxious evils. If we can find a way to revive the sucker, point him back at his old buddy, and promise to keep reviving him so long as the two keep their BS out of Inside and he never tells the other guy about us doing so, we might save ourselves a hell of a lot of time and money."
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-08-29 at 01:45 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig considers this.
    Well, it seems that Phil's robots are doing a good enough job fighting Riv. They also appear to be recruiting freelance adventurers and such to help. Which means Riv might die without us having to pollute the environment by reviving Phil.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #638

Gordon sighs.

"Riv is primary a sciencist. A fair amount of what he does is biogical, mainly creating living weapons. Also, he knows something of Magtok's cloning machines, so killing him will likely be pointless."

Riv isn't someone who Gordon thinks of as a problem.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

And it's here that Ilpholin arrives, the next day as promised.

It's time for the first Council meeting in nearly eight months.

There may be some shock in that Ilpholin is actually reasonably dressed for once. I mean, it's not super-formal wear or anything, but it actually does leave things to the imagination, unlike her usual catsuit which really doesn't. But it is still the same colour. Just a more professional different cut and slightly different material.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-04-22 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle contacted each Council Member by the communicators they were given way back at the start of the thread. This can be assumed to happen offscreen.

Of course if they've lost their communicators for some reason, then they won't get a call.

Even Zee's communicator was phoned, in case she'd managed to return to life in the meantime. It's the Nexus. Have to account for such things, ya'know.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez is at her seat, dressed in her uniform and working on paperwork as she awaits the others to arrive. She seems quite intent on whatever she's working on, but that's generally the case when you have to actually finalize someone's retirement plan.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

And from GLoG arrives....

Not Quinn. She called "not it" and appointed somebody else to take her place.

That somebody else being Shrike, of course. Who...also happens to be rather modestly and formally dressed. (And no, that's not just 'modest by Exalted standards', either!)

And she arrives, looking around with interest.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

13. - Top - End - #643

Tobias Vulpan enters, wearing a slightly militaristic outfit comprised of black cargo pants and combat boots, an olive drab jacket, and a dark green patrol cap. He stopped for a moment outside to finish cleaning blood off a long combat knife, then puts it away to go through the requisite scanners. When he makes it to the meeting room, he looks around before taking his seat. Ilpholin and Shrike's presence is silently noted. What's this about?
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

14. - Top - End - #644

Magtok's here, in his black robe, and he doesn't seem too excited about it. Odd. You'd think, given the subject matter, he'd be bouncing in his seat with glee and anticipation. Instead, he almost seems to be dreading the whole thing.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig is there as well, somewhat surprised that the Council is meeting again. Instead of his usual leather jacket and vest, he's wearing a somewhat military gray jacket with sleeves reaching down to his elbows, with a woolen shirt underneath. Viima is there with him, padding behind her master.

16. - Top - End - #646

Cessie have showed up to the meeting as well, wearing strangely avant-garde clothes which are unlike her otherwise so conservative set of robes and dresses.

Her thick raven-colored hair is worn in thick blunt bangs which hangs down on either side of her face, hold in place by a two bands of gold-colored silk which holds the bob of hair in place. The first band is lightly warped around the back up her head while the second is drawn over the top of her head, framing it perfectly.

She even have some black eyeliner all the way around her blue eyes combined with eye-shadow giving her an Egyptian feel. The make-up also causes her eyes to stand out even more against her pale white skin which seems to have been untouched by the so-called “mask of pregnancy”.

There are in fact hardly any signs of her pregnancy at all. She looks slim even if her curves are rather bloated which is much more obvious in this set of clothes then in what she usually wears.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-04-23 at 09:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #647

Zee's here!

...wait.

Seriously?

Yup.

Looks that way.

Clad in her usual outfit and looking significantly more on fire than usual. Stupid borrowed Starspawn from her sibling just isn't the same as using one of her own. She'll totally have to get someone to summon one up for her.

Maybe Magtok can help!

He's such a helpful guy.

She'll wave tentatively at anyone gawking at her.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilpholin already thought Zee alive anyways! No gawking happens on this end.

"An excellent question." Ilpholin says, staying standing for the most part.

"It is my belief that it has come time to make changes in the leadership of Inside. The Council is noble in concept, but not as effective as Inside requires in practice. To this end, I bring a proposition."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig doesn't have time to marvel at Zee being alive, because Ilpholin's announcement catches his attention. He leans forward in his chair, eyes narrowing.
    I'm listening, he says. So's everyone else, I'm sure.

20. - Top - End - #650

"Yes, what exactly would the benefits of this alternative be?" Cessie asks with a glance at the demonic drow. She had changed, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-04-24 at 11:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #651

Yeah, wow, I guess I'm really out of the loop. Tobias looks around at his fellow Council members. Who is she and why are we listening to her proposition?
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am Ilpholin Xar'cha, of the Xar'cha clan, several of which help police Inside, and new head of AMEN. I have taken Gordon's seat on the Council."

"And you are listening to me precisely because you're out of the loop."
    Ilpholin explains.

"Inside lives in a constantly fluctuating world. Decisions need to be made on the fly and enacted in a timely fashion. And they need to be made by someone with a vested interest in Inside. Made by someone willing to stay in the loop and actively work to improve things for Inside's citizens."

"This person would not only need to be able to make decisions quickly, but also have general appeal and be able to work on the diplomatic front. They must be able to form and use alliances and contacts in both times of need and developing periods to further improve Inside and protect it from harm actively."
    Ilpholin says, emphasizing actively.

"As such, I propose that you choose me to take on that task. Under my rule I believe Inside will flourish like never before. And to that end I have a few initiatives I intend to enact to improve its overall quality."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Grace enters a little late- though just in time to hear what is going on- and takes her seat quietly, not offering any opinion yet. Or maybe she's just catching her breath, one or the other.

24. - Top - End - #654

Well!

Isn't that quite the proposal!

And it sure does sound great and wonderful!

What a wonderful and great thing indeed!

No doubt there couldn't possibly be any nefarious anterior motive to this what so ever ever!

Zee offers an eyebrow quirk to the little speech. "Why would we all agree to put control of the heart of the Nexus into the hands of AMEN? That seems about as silly as trusting Magtok with the job."

A beat.

And a ridiculous grin cast the cybrog's way.

"No offense meant, of course. Putting unilateral power of this kind on anyone's shoulders is unwise regardless of how pure their motivations might be."

Or potentially impure. Or whatever.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

"The last time AMEN had any major involvement Inside, was attacking my organization when the Empire had vanished." Vasquez informs the room as she puts away her paperwork. "And that's if we ignore various actions made by individuals or small groups. That said, how would you propose to win over the public? The name of AMEN bears a stigma that I doubt many will accept. And what do you actually have planned to do that is within your capabilities?" She asks Ilpholin.

With that, she turns to Zee and offers a slight warm smile. "And it's great to see you alive again, Zee. This place was lesser without you." Vasquez tells her before looking over at the others. "And we may as well hear Ilpholin out. We're here to make so no rash decisions are made one way or another."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

The red-haired Exalted quietly takes a seat.

And listens.

For the moment, venturing no opinions...but just absorbing the mood of the room.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

27. - Top - End - #657

"I can't say I'm not without my own biases, but it seems more than a little unfair to put the stigma of Gordon's past involvement with Inside on Ms. Xar'cha's head. Those same actions are precisely why the old lizard isn't in power anymore. On top of that, I don't believe we've heard a single word about unilateral power or dictatorship without checks and balances pass from her lips."

Magtok gives Zee, and only Zee, a look of reproach, not quite daring enough to do the same towards Vasquez, even though the both of them are more or less in agreement. He then nods towards Ilpholin, hoping against hope that she's not going to make him look like a humongous idiot by going on to talk about dictatorship and unilateral power.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's an unusual amount of emphasis on public opinion. No one discussed with the public when the Empire came to rule. No one talked to them when Remnant came in after. The public was not consulted when the Council was formed. Now there may have been some reactions afterwords, for better or worse. But having personally thoroughly expected the public to react with outrage or dismay at the announcement of AMEN being on the Council, I was shocked to witness... nothing. The public did absolutely nothing. They didn't care less that AMEN has a seat here so shortly after attacking. Needless to say, I don't think public image has anything to do with this particular debate. Perhaps in another time on another issue." Too many different potential interpretations on the 'public's' reactions exist.

"Of course. All of that is moot. See, you're mistaking my position with who I am. I am not and will not ask you to hand control over to AMEN. I never will. In fact, I don't want AMEN to have Inside. This is why I've forced AMENites to turn their heads away from Inside, declaring it off limits. This is why I've sent the most bloodthirsty and likely to hit Inside, chasing crystals in a mine. Indeed, should I end up in charge, I intend to use that fact to drive them even further away."

"Make no mistake here today ladies and gentlemen. My proposition does not include AMEN in the package." It just doesn't fit in there very well! Too many weird corners.

Of course, if Ilpholin had intended to go the dictatorship route, she certainly couldn't now even if she wanted to. What would have been will never be known though. "That's correct. I'm not referring to unilateral power. Remnant will obviously stay as it is and be the enforcers and protectors. Council will become the balance. With a 3/4ths vote it can overturn any decision I make and with a unanimous vote it can remove me from office and replace me with someone not on the Council. Obviously I will be abdicating my seat in this situation and it will not be replaced. This I think, should provide a more than fair balance."

And now that all of those points have been dealt with Ilpholin can finally move on to the what she has planned phase in this rather long post.

"As for my initiatives, they are two-fold. The first is simple. Inside citizens live in a dangerous city. Perhaps the most dangerous city. But as of right now the citizens have to rely on Remnant arriving to help them, random happenstance heroes, and charity-based medical care. These are all good things, but they're all reactive instead of preventative. No. It's time to arm the citizens so they can protect themselves long enough for the reactions to help."

"The first initiative will require that all citizens be armed and receive at least basic self-defense training with intermediate training readily available. Things like judo and swordplay. It is my belief that by doing this, attacks in Inside will decrease by fifty percent or more. Obviously there will always be high powered threats that the average citizen can't deal with, but those I believe Remnant can handle quite well with a potential decrease in casualties."
    She, of course, made up those numbers! She's not statistics inclined.

"Tying into the first initiative is the second one." Ilpholin says, pulling that phone like object she got from Mister Squiggles and placing it face up on the center of the table. She presses the only button and a holographic overlay of Inside shows up. It's not particularly detailed, but it has enough to be recognizable. Placed at various points are red dots, forming a sort of grid. "Emergency beacon points. Placed strategically so that any one time you're never more than five minutes from one. Pressing a button placed on these beacons indicates a situation to be responded to, but also puts you in contact with an operator that can talk to you through the beacon and help ascertain the issue and the best response. I believe this will dramatically cut response time for true problems."

"Furthermore, it has a secondary benefit of employing citizens in these operator positions. Now Magtok's casino certainly helped out on that front in Red Zone and believe it will further eliminate any poverty and unemployment issues that might stem from there. Those in Red Zone are also potentially the best qualified to tell the difference between a real emergency and the occasional drunk prankster."

"As such, I believe these two initiatives' benefits are multifaceted and if placed into the position of leader of Inside, they are precisely what I intend to enact."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

Major Delisle, has been taking notes throughout, speaks up. "Before this discussion goes farther, I'd like to provide the crime and disaster statistics for the last year." A graph is projected to display on a convenient wall. "As you can see, there is a terrible spike here, at the time of the last apocalypse, which has been called the Stars Were Almost Right. But since then, this city has been remarkably peaceful. There have been murders and crime sprees, of course, and a near outbreak from a bioweapons lab known as Umbrella, but in general, I believe that current measures seem to be as effective as they can be in quelling the crazy. Of course, we're always trying to improve."
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-04-25 at 03:58 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilpholin nods.
    "Let me make it clear then that these measures are not designed to deal with the high end disasters and apocalypses, but rather efficiently cut down those murders and crime sprees that you mentioned. Perhaps even in doing so, free up resources for dealing with those spikes."

I'm not sure if parks were included in that graph though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast