New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Meeting Room

"Good news. The epidemic seems to be over," Delisle says. "Perhaps they were in a fast time flow area or something. Well, Commander Vulpan, what is next on the agenda? Or is your player dropping this plot thread since Righty doesn't seem to be around anymore anyway?"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #812
    Orc in the Playground

((Thread necromancy permission granted.))

[Meeting Room, Long After the Last Onscreen Meeting Here]

Vyrn, naturally, arrives early. He did call for the meeting, after all, and it would be rude to not be on time.

He waits for the other councilors to arrive. This meeting would decide quite a lot...
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

Meeting Room

In Magtok's stead, a robot is attending this latest Council meeting. It carries a simple hologram device in its arms, almost certainly meant for transmitting some sort of floaty ethereal Magtok into the room. All the talking and listening and whatnot, with none of the actual risk involved in coming here in person.

MagCorp is present.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Dipsnig is there as well. Since he knows what's going to happen during the meeting, he's in a fairly good mood.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Bugbear in the Playground

Meeting Room

An fire elemental in Cessie's general form is taking the sorceress place this time, Garn the gargoyle is accompanying it as well. Her servant looks rather rather suspicious of the other council members (however you can tell that from his expression) but he isn't causing any trouble at the very least. He's just there, sitting by the council seat.

Don't worry, nothing seem to be catching fire around her.

6. - Top - End - #816

Meeting Room

Tobias walks in and takes his seat. He keeps a carefully blank expression on, but he's expecting this meeting to go poorly. Not because of what he thinks Vyrn's agenda is, but because Watchtower's representative obviously came here prepared for a fight. At least Magtok has the upcoming battle as an excuse for him not attending in person. With the current lack of apocalypses, the leaders of Watchtower have no reason to replace their diplomat with a fire elemental and a gargoyle. Further proof of that org's belligerent and uncooperative attitude.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

7. - Top - End - #817
    Troll in the Playground

Meeting Room

Shrike arrives, looking moderately bored as she settles into her seat, and eyes the others present with curiosity. Her eyebrow raises as she notes the fire elemental in the WATCHTOWER seat, but remains quiet...

"Oh, new representive from Watch? She's hot."

...or, at least, everyone wishes she had.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

8. - Top - End - #818

Meeting Room

The Cessie-shaped elemental waves it's hand dismissively at Shrike's joke. "I apologize for not being here in person but I was called for a meeting in Watch at the same time. I assure you I will be able to pay this meeting all the attention it so deserves however." She nods politely in the direction of Vyrn.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Orc in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

"Thank you, Mrs. Mithar. Does anyone else have any rousing jokes to share before the remaining Councilors arrive?" Naturally, Vyrn's question is laden with near-solid amounts of sarcasm.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #820

Meeting Room

"Not this time, sorry. This little meeting is enough of a farce as is."

Oh look, it's Magtok. Or hologram-Magtok, anyways. Let's call him Holotok for short, shall we? Anyways, Holotok seems to be in something of a perpetually bad mood as of late, but I'm sure everyone already has a pretty good idea what that's about. It's only been all over the Wall for weeks now.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2013-06-03 at 09:21 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #821
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle and Vasquez arrive and take seats. Vasquez nods greetings to everyone. Delisle simply takes out her tablet and taps at it.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #822
    Orc in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Presumably, at this point, a bunch of waiting is done and Zee fails to show up, due to a critical case of 'currently dead'. Funnily enough, the one responsible for that is here, and doesn't actually know that happened.

"Right, as the last Councilor has failed to show herself within a reasonable amount of time, I will begin, if no one has any objections."

Assuming there are none, for the purpose of expedience...

He takes out a little holoprojector and activates it, displaying a hologram of Sanctuary's recent rocket launch. "First, I would like to enlighten you all as to the true nature of our launch. It was no mere exploration vehicle, but a full-fledged orbital spy array. It would've been unwise to announce to the world that we had such a thing. As you can see, among the Council, I have no such need for secrecy. I'm even willing to allow the rest of you access to it...on one condition. I once again ask to be made a full Councilor, in light of my Irregulars' contributions to this city and the Council. Give me this, and the Council will have access to the array. Do not, and it will not. We expect to be considered equals, not inferiors and relics who exist only to give the rest of you hardware."

Vyrn turns off the holoprojector and goes on. "Secondly, and separately, I propose some sort of sanction against Councilor Magtok in the light of his callous disregard for civilians and Council assets. The nature of this sanction is up to rest of the Council to decide, and it may well be his removal from it. Any prolonged sanctions against him would take effect after his current predicament is over, as I do not believe we are interested in effectively trying to condemn him to death."

Huh. That's a bit toned-down compared to what Vyrn originally told Dipsnig and Tobias he wanted, though it still acknowledges the possibility of accomplishing that. Maybe he actually considered the latter's advice?
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Dipsnig is mildly surprised to hear Vyrn's toned-down demands, but he understands that plans change. It just means it's up to the other Councilors to oust Magtok.

"I agree that dropping satellites on crowded taverns crosses a certain fine line that each of us needs to toe. We can't let it go unanswered. And now we have the opportunity to replace an unreliable and dangerous Councilor with one who hasn't caused massive collateral damage in recent time and who is actually willing to share his assets."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #824

Meeting Room

"Who is actually willing to share his assets," Holotok quotes, with bemused sarcasm. "An unreliable and dangerous Councilor."

The hologram shakes its head, but doesn't contest the claims. Not yet, anyways. Plenty of time for that sort of thing later.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #825

Meeting Room

Tobias keeps his politically neutral face on. Very well then. Let's start off with the first vote. All in favor of appointing Vyrn a Councilor? And then he raises his own hand.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Shrike raises her hand, after giving Magtok an appraising (In the sense of 'where to stab for the most pain caused) look.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Dipsnig's hand also rises. He's wearing an expression of calm contentment.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Troll in the Playground

"Neutral," Vas says, without raising her own hand. Delisle, not a councillor, simply records the votes.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

19. - Top - End - #829

[Meeting Room]

"In favor." The Cessie-shaped elemental declares as it raises it's hand.

20. - Top - End - #830

Meeting Room

"Looks like I'm the sole voice of dissent, then. Fitting, that it would end like this. Nay, for what little it's worth. Congratulations Vasquez, you've got two votes and a veto now." Funny, Holotok doesn't sound the least bit thrilled for the Commander.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #831
    Orc in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

Vyrn manages to keep a straight face, but he's pretty clearly pleased with this outcome. "I'm glad you all made the right choice. Unless there's some ceremony involved, I suppose we should move on to my second proposal. If anyone has suggestions for it, please share them now."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #832

Meeting Room

Holotok quickly raises his hand. "Yes, I've got a suggestion. Go **** yourself. And while you're doing that, I'd appreciate it if you ate some nails while you're at it. Time and time again, I've given everything I've had to this Council. If you'll have a look at the records, you'll notice I generously had Remnant using the MagSat for free. You'll realize that the only reason Excelsior is going after me is because back when they were in AMEN, I held their leash every time they wanted to nuke AMEN."

The Magbot rises from its seat, still carrying the hologram Magtok in its arms.

"Firstly, before anyone can reveal it first, yes, I attempted to assassinate Vasquez once. I concede that I did such a thing, whilst simultaneously arranging for my own plan to fail, for reasons that are not the concern of this Council. Yes, this has been kept a secret from most of you, mostly for my own benefit, but I'm going to die soon anyways so who gives a ****. If ever there was a time to burn bridges and condemn the whole lot of you, it was now.

Since that date, I've been subject to no less than three attempts to eradicate me, attacks which can only have come from other Council members. Firstly, I was mailed a box full of rats infected with cordyceps, to murder the woman who I intended to marry, which were later traced to a burrow under both Remnant and NO. Nasty bit of business there, but I'm willing to let that one slide, because I did hit first. Secondly, GLoG's pet cat shapeshifting himself into an intern not too long ago, stealing my tech and nearly burning the place down in his wake. Thirdly, there was the recent artillery strike hitting the manufacturing wing of the MagCave, which came just in time to cripple my defense against the incoming Excelsior invasion. Only Watchtower and Remnant has the long-range capacity for that sort of assault. As if that weren't rotten enough, only Excelsior could've leaked the latest MagCave design, meaning that not did one of the fine people at this table shoot me in the leg and leave me to die, they negotiated with notorious terrorists in doing so.

All in all, I think the lot of you have managed to outdo my little half-hearted hypnotism scheme, don't you think? Go ahead, strike me from the Council, exile me from your city, have a MagClone publicly executed. You think I care anymore?! I'm a ****ing dead man, you ****s! Hell, at least my MagSat strike was done with the best of intentions, what's your excuse?!"
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

"Remnant has never conducted stealth operations against MagCorp nor worked with Excelsior." Vasquez says calmly. This is the first she's heard about the strike against Magtok's manufacturing wing, but she doesn't show it. "If you'd like to make any official complaints, the Council will take them into consideration and investigate. In the meantime, we do not have any precedent for adding a new council member, but I believe it would be inappropriate for Councillor-Elect Vyrn to have a vote on this matter."

Delisle makes notes and Vas listens.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2013-06-08 at 10:53 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #834
    Orc in the Playground

[Meeting Room]

For a brief moment, Vyrn looks utterly flabbergasted. Only for a moment, though. Now he's more incredulous. "Vasquez, is this true? You just let him get away with an assassination attempt?" He's doing his best to maintain composure, but that's not enough to hide the disgust in his tone.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

"No. I did not let him get away with it," Vasquez says, still completely calm. "I handled it, exercised what I believed were appropriate sanctions, and saw no reason to make the information public." She turns back to Magtok, awaiting his answer to her questions about making any formal complaints.

((Wolfy wants to post Vasquez's response to Magtok's accusations, so I'm removing these posts.))
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2013-06-08 at 10:54 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #836

Meeting Room

Magtok waves a hand dismissively.

"Go ahead, formalize my complaints. You can have the responsible parties chip in money towards a monument in my honor. A memorial, to be precise. Because I'll be ****ing dead, if I haven't made that clear enough already. I'm going to burn, defending the rest of you from Excelsior, while you all sit here fiddling."

((Removed for now, because Mag's reply is likely to change based on whatever Vas actually says))
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2013-06-08 at 11:22 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

27. - Top - End - #837

Meeting Room

Tobias listens to the outburst and various accusations. His neutral expression gives way to shock. When he speaks up, he tries to keep his voice soothing without being patronizing. I'm sorry, Magtok. I hadn't realized your situation was so dire. HALO, for one, considers you a valuable member of this Council and will not vote you from it. What can I do to help?

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

"It wasn't just Magtok who attempted it. It was a group from AMEN as far as my information goes." Vasquez clarifies. "And in my position, assassination attempts are fully expected. Why should that surprise anyone?" She asks with an eyebrow before looking more thoughtfully at Magtok. "As for attacking your Cave, Remnant and I have never done such a thing. To be frank, I don't even know what the hell Chordeeceps is. And even if we did attack you, you are one of the few people I respect enough to tell ahead of time and to do so openly."

"Unlike most people in this room."
    The Commander of Remnant says with a hard look at everyone before narrowing her eyes at Vyrn. "And this meeting rather proves my beliefs on the matter, but I'll get to that in a moment." She tells them all with a dangerous edge to her voice before turning back to the Holotok.

"Magtok, your son turned himself in and served dutifully to the point where there's a standing Lieutenant's commission. That offer doesn't happen often, and attacking your home would defeat the purpose of the offer, wouldn't it?"
    She asks, quirking an eyebrow before giving a sigh. "Dipsnig has asked me to punish you, you know that? Twice. And when I've told him no, he attempted blackmail and claimed that I was coddling you. I suppose I am in some way, but you know why?"

"Because as I said, I respect you. You might be a deceitful backstabber and villainous mogul, but you admit it. You aren't a coward. You aren't a mercenary that anyone can hire, and you sure as hell don't turn your back on your principles unlike others in this room. Because of that, if I move against you, I will tell you before I do. You deserve that much."
    She tells him in all honesty before looking around the room.

"Let me tell you something about the man you just voted on the Council. By now, you all should know he was the previous dictator of an empire that included this city. What you might not know is that he is a deceitful cowardly man that forces others to do his dirty work. When the original Empire had been attacked and finally hurt, do you know what this man did? He didn't go and lead, he didn't try to provide any real support to the thousands under him, he decided to go to his flying fortress and stay there, letting all his soldiers and guns and tanks stay between him and any harm that might have come his way."
    Vasquez tells them with an angry tone before looking directly at Vyrn. "You had what? About a couple dozen loyalists when we decided to overthrow you. But I applaud you since you came back despite it all. I really do. But what are your plans now? Do you plan on taking control again, or do you actually care about the city this time around?" She asks with a quizzical look.

"But if it's the latter, then why do you feel the need to be a full member of the Council to help protect the city? Why not turn over the Shield's codes so anyone can protect the place instead of just you?" She asks before shaking her head and looking around the room again.

"I won't keep him from this Council, as it is what you all wish, but I will say that if you let this man dictate what should happen here, then **** all of you. I'll leave and do my job without any oversight because that's better than sitting here watching a newly "elected" Emperor return to his post. And if it goes too far, I will take measures to prevent such from happening again."

"I take my position with all seriousness and have protected the city from a Council member before and I'll do it again." She says. "My apologies to Zee, but at the time of Krag'Nyggax, we had to make a judgment call. Either destroy the source of the portals, or let them overrun things. No one told us she was trying to prevent it, or even stop it. We had to act on our own. It's a call I'll make again if necessary and there's only one person in this room I'd warn."

29. - Top - End - #839
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn...does something else that no one would expect from him.

He laughs.

"Oh, my ancestors must be rolling in their graves if this is the legacy our line has left behind. A military whose leader thinks assassination attempts shouldn't be prevented and punished, that favors a madman and terrorist over its own creator." He doesn't even bother hiding the contempt in his voice at this point.

"Allow me to address your 'points', even if it's difficult for me to call them that without tasting bile.

First, I want this seat because if I am to be here, I will not be a glorified attack dog, not yours, or anyone else's. I will be an equal, and any less is a flagrant insult to everything I was raised to be. I am no one's servant, and I expect that to be recognized. I fail to understand why expecting representation here to match my contributions is so vile."
    The ex-Emperor's scowl only deepens.

"As for my alleged cowardice, I believe my recent actions involving an attack on my base counter that argument by themselves, unless I'm going to be accused of staging that now." The way he says that, it sounds like he honestly expects someone to do so.

"All I planned was to safeguard my legacy in this city and guide it when I saw the need to. But now I see it has already been shredded to pieces by a leader who won't even seriously act on an attempt on her life. Even then, I am willing to continue to act as a Councilor, even if certain parties don't appreciate it. These arguments against me consist of baseless accusations, problems I have already addressed, and paranoia." Did Vyrn just call someone a paranoiac? Wow.

"My only 'crime' here is acting against the status quo, and if I had not acted against it before, Remnant would not even exist. If I am to be condemned for that, then Commander Vasquez here will be in that pit with me."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

30. - Top - End - #840
    Troll in the Playground

"Is that a threat, Commander Vasquez?" Shrike's eyebrow raised, and she shook her head. "That if in your determination any one of us poses a threat, you'll remove us as we sleep in our beds next to our loved ones? While I can appreciate that the Council seeks to protect Inside against all threats regardless of the source, and I can even appreciate that you consider some councilors more equal than others, the fact that you would come out and openly state that, to everyone, demonstrates while you are an excellent soldier, you are not a diplomat."

The redheaded Exalt pauses, then shakes her head. "Of course, I'm hardly a diplomat either. However I believe that the flyswatter might have been more appropriate here than the sledgehammer."

And, with that metaphor dispensed, she falls quiet.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew