Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Zee apparently found a potted plant somewhere between starting up those stairs and sitting down. And now she's fiddling with the thing, causing it to grow cumquats despite the fact that it most certainly isn't a citrus tree of any kind.

She peers at Magtok as he goes off on his mini-rant about her presence at the meeting.

Blinks one eye.

Then the other.

Twice.

Zee them smiles a wide, silly smile!

"From being nice of course! That's the best way to make friends!"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing will happen to Gordon, and presumably he'll be lead up unless he does something idiotic.

(Since most of the PCs are here, I'm going to go ahead and start the Council Meeting. The others who were given invitations can be retconned in later, or arrive late, player preference.)

When everyone is scanned and waved through, Vasquez looks them over, even nodding to a seat for Psi before she raises a hand to stop their banter. "I presume most of you know each other." She gestures at Poise, Psi, and Cessie. "That is Poise, Grace's representative. Psi will not get a vote or say in the matters that occur here as she is just a bodyguard and this is Cessie, a member of Watchtower. A few of you may have an idea as to why we're here, but for those of you who aren't, let me explain."

She gestures at the hologram. "You all represent the various Orgs that have an interest in Inside, or are public figureheads and have enough support to warrant having as much power as an Org has. You're all here to form a Council to help decide what happens to Inside."

She raises her hand a bit to keep them quiet for a moment. "No, that does not mean I am stepping down. It means I'm stepping aside. I do not have the time to worry myself with running the everyday things and deciding civil matters. My duty has always been to the protection of Inside and it's citizens, from threats both within and without. I will be the head of this Council, but for the most part, I will not intervene unless it is something that affects Remnant. Eventually, I may decide to allow others in, but I won't kick anyone out unless it's necessary, understand? That means there won't be any violence. And Zee? Please put the plant away, it's distracting."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cessie makes a short nod towards the rest of the room as she is introduced. "I have no objects against your proposal Vasquez, it sounds quite reasonable. Watch is not a political organization however. So I'm not sure we should even have a seat. It would be good for both of us if we could work closer to your military however."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-04-16 at 08:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Magtok groans in exasperation, and presses both palms against his face as he drops his elbows onto the table, suddenly swept up by a feeling that he might be trapped in a complete waste of time, up until Vasquez starts speaking, and he lifts his head back up again.

The idea of Vasquez stepping aside appeals to him, because the idea of her being in charge just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. There's a reason why silly political types like himself are usually in charge of obscenely brusque people like her, and that's because without proper management, her sort end up like rabid animals. Also what sort of MagMart customer wants to live under an insane gun-ninja pyschopath? That kind of city-wide reputation can't possibly be good for business.

He keeps silent for now, letting others say their part while he broods and schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Poise leans forward in her chair, her hands clasped together as she keeps her eyes on Vasquez.
    "So, what you're saying is that you wish to form the council not so much as a true ruling body, but a group to which you delegate managing civil affairs?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"...so, what you're saying is you're wanting me to be partially responsible for running what remains of the Empire? I just foisted off being President of GLoG..." Quinn sighs.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

8. - Top - End - #38

"So what you're saying is that you really would like it if I put my kumquat tree somewhere else?" Zee asks, not wanting to feel left out from the style of question that's being asked at the moment.

Of course...

Her question is probably less relevant than the others.

But it still counts for something!

Without waiting for a reply she sticks the shrubbery under he chair. Though not before picking a small orange fruit and nomming it.

Om nom nom!

Then she wrinkles her nose a bit at the woman at the head of the table.

"Who are you, anyway?"

Yep.

Honestly has no idea.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

1st Lt Alice Delisle, who up until now has been silently taking notes, gives Zee a sharp look. "Xar'cha Ezekiel Hanna Bath-Manoah, we know you are smarter than you're pretending to be, and the inhabitants of this city would benefit if you would take this meeting seriously."

"If introductions are necessary, then let's make them. The chair of this meeting is Commander Vasquez, the highest ranking member of the Remnant of the Empire. I am 1st Lt Delisle, her assistant."
    She'll then go around and introduce everyone at the table, including anyone who retcons themselves in later. She's clever like that.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez gives an appreciative nod to her aide. "You are allowed to send in an appropriate representative if you wish, Quinn. I just wanted you to be here for this meeting. To understand how things are likely going to be from now on. In some ways, Remnant will be more lenient than the Empire was, but in others, more strict."

She stops and thinks for a moment about what Poise says. "In a way. For all intents and purposes, you will be running most matters of Inside. Governing it even if I still hold the ultimate say over anything that would be more important than usual, or would cause drastic changes even though I don't plan on having to use it very often. However, that said, I would still be in complete control of Military and Civil Defense. As for how most things will be decided, it'd be by a majority vote."

11. - Top - End - #41

Gordon, as no one stops him, or the man he has for his bodyguard, headed into the council room. Taking a seat, he relaxs. At least two people here who are friendly towards him, this is going better than he thought already.

"A wise decision. There would certainly be issues with you tried to directly manage the city. Military groups tend to not be good rulers of citizens."

12. - Top - End - #42

Zee blinks at that reply.

And frowns slightly. Then closes her eyes and sighs. "Very well. There shall be no masks to hide behind."

Her voice is... different. Emotionless. And yet so much deeper than before. Not deeper as in baritone. Deeper as in you could drown in it if you aren't careful.

"If proper titles are to be used here I am K'rax-Naggath, the Watcher at the Threshold. I consider my purpose here in the Nexus to be much the same as yours, Commander Vasquez. I have been a defender of these crossroads for some time now. And as such I find your presumptions baffling. You represent the remains of an external force that took tentative control of this City through subterfuge, murder, and sheer force of arms."

She leans back in her chair slightly, fingers steepled. "But your power is shattered. Your resources cut off. And your leadership scattered. Though I must admit that I am pleased to see that the outsiders have been ousted from the remains of the Empire. I can trust men and women of the Nexus like yourself far more readily than I would trust a military bureaucrat from another world simply seeking to expand their own power base."

"I believe any unilateral control on this council would be... unwise. Placing ultimate control of all aspects of government in the hands of one person is dangerous. Even if the intent is to use this final executive power only sparingly."
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2011-04-16 at 10:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Back before the meeting started, Tobias Vulpan walked up to the building and tried to gain entrance as HALO's representative, using his invitation. Scanners will have noted that he has no weapons on his person, which is distinctly unusual considering he tends to carry over ten knives on him at any given time. The scanners will have also picked up on his immense amount of druidic magic. Tobias also tried to take his satchel inside.

Unless he's stopped or something, he'll just sit at the table and wait for the meeting to start. When the meeting does start, he just listens. He is quite adept at concealing his emotions, so it's impossible to tell just what he's thinking of this idea so far.

That said, I'm just making this post to establish that Tobias is here and HALO is represented. I do not think I will be able to make any more posts tonight.
    Maybe a few more before I go to bed, but it's been an intense day and I have a fair bit of stuff to catch up on, so don't wait for me unless it's necessary.
    Last edited by FireFox; 2011-04-16 at 10:15 PM.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn nods in gratitude to Vasquez.
    "Ah. I understand. And, thank you."

Tobias' appearance makes Quinn double-take. Then she waves a little. Before turning her full attention back to the matter at hand.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

The Moff, for indeed it is he, stands back from the table, behind Gordon. He might not be immediately recognizable: he's cleaned up. Conservative suit, shave, haircut, sunglasses, and scowl. He has no visible reaction to anything that's said up until Zee's final comment, at which he nods slowly and shoots what might be a smirk at Vasquez.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

An expression of disbelief creeps onto Dipsnig's face as he listens to Vasquez. You're seriously suggesting this bunch is put in charge of running the place? He points at... everyone really, including himself. Do-gooders and apocalypse-stoppers I can understand, but mercenaries and terrorists? He pauses. If he ends up in charge of the city, he'll get a perfect opportunity to stomp out freelance mercenaries and weasel NO out of trouble if they take a troublesome contact again. Not to mention a goblin in the ruling body would be good for the Underside Colony. But I guess the Nexus requires original leadership. Do you have any idea as to how to divide responsibilities?
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-04-17 at 06:24 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #47

"As far as I'm concerned, watch isn't suited to deal with civil matters as I mentioned before. Instead I would suggest that remnant and watchtower had a closer relationship if your planning to deal with the military matters Vasquez." Cessie states once Dipsnig and Zee have finished speaking.

She knew Zee, but she really didn't seem to be her old self here. The goblin was new to her however, she had to get to know him later. Relationships were important. Especially with the leaders or the other factions.

"I think it would be ideal if everyone governed what they are most suited for. GloG and Aurora appears very competent in civil matters by the admittedly little knowledge I have about them. Watch, NO and Remnant however are experienced when it comes to military force... at least as far as I can tell." She argues.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

NO isn't military in the slightest, Dipsnig says, pointing his finger at Cessie. We're perpetually understaffed and the members we do have tend to be spies, infiltrators and magic users. Well, except for our resident half-dragon dire rancor obviously.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #49

"Mercenaries are different where I'm from then, hence my assumption." The mage replies with a humble nod in the direction of the goblin.

"In that case, why don't you tell us what you think NO would be best at dealing with?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

If I were to decide, I'd put us in charge of all the private investigators, adventurers and guns or swords for hire running around the place. Dipsnig taps his fang.

21. - Top - End - #51

"Very well, but what about HALO and AMEN then? Both seem to be semi-militaristic organizations. Though I must admit I use a very open definition of 'military' as I only think Remnant can ascribe to what we would call military in my homeland." The mage continues.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"On the subject to of our unusual composition, I'd like to ask one thing-"
    Poise looks towards Gordon.
    "Why is a representative of AMEN here?"
    Her eyes flick back to Vasquez.

"AMEN is a flagrantly terrorist organization. They do not have a say in Inside, they burn it down. And AMEN was behind the attack that just assaulted your military, was it not? They have threatened, terrorized, killed and forced their way into Inside- and now they've been invited to join a council which will determine Inside's course?
    "I understand wanting to keep an eye on an enemy. I understand wanting to give incentive for them not to be an enemy at all, but Vasquez, this is taking it all too far. Such a group should have no place here."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't call HALO militaristic either, Dipsnig says in response to Cessie. When Poise makes her speech, he nods: I'm inclined to agree.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

She gives a bit of a nod to "Zee". "Thank you for your trust, but you're wrong. Our and leadership is no longer scattered, shattered, or otherwise impaired. If anything, we're more solid than we've been in a long time. Consolidated, focused. We're not an Empire wanting to seize control over neighboring nations. I'm not a powerhungry, bloodthirsty fool like many of you suspect I am."

Vasquez shakes her head. "Watchtower is here because you are like that, Cessie. Everyone here provides a unique perspective into Inside. And amongst you, there isn't any one power. I like to think I've gotten the right people here to balance out any issues that may occur. There won't be any division of Duty, because, as I said, you're to be a Council, not a Cabinet. You'll handle issues together. As K'rax-Naggath pointed out, any one person holding too much power is why you're here."

"As for AMEN, their ultimate goal, or Gordon's at least, was to rule Inside, not destroy it. As for how he's going to be restrained, I have proven, at my weakest moment, that I was still stronger than the forces he and his group mustered against me. And now, I am stronger. I can easily handle him if he decides to do something idiotic like attacking this Council or elsewhere Inside. And if you worry about how his votes will affect the topics that come up, as I've been saying, this is a group effort. You'll be able to temper whatever he thinks of. If he does get out of hand, then simply kill him and AMEN loses their seat, sound fair?" She tells and asks Poise directly, as if Gordon would be her responsibility, and testing just how far she'd hold firm.

"And if you think AMEN shouldn't have a seat, then none of you should either. NO is nothing but a gang of mercenaries, GLoG has proven themselves to be isolationist, Watchtower and HALO don't do much Inside except for emergencies, Magtok is also a terrorist himself, Zee is a single person who's claim to fame is being nice, and Aurora is brand new without the experience the other Orgs. have. You're all here, because I'm giving you a chance to finally have a say in what happens to a place you all have at least some interest in. If you are not up to it, you can leave and forfeit your organization's seat."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig listens to Vasquez' speech. Fair points. For all his faults, he never claimed NO was more than just a band of opportunistic mercenaries. I'm willing to take a seat on the council for the good of all. Yeah, right.

26. - Top - End - #56

"I'm confused, you disagree with Zee... or whoever she is, but you use the very point she made against me? In any case, I don't think we are here to argue that. If you want us in the council, me and many others in watch would be very glad to accept that position. However, I do believe the defense of this world could be made much more effective if we combine our forces. I think Harnel my err... boyfriend had such an suggestion in fact." The mage replies, seemingly quite comfortable in this position.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"None of the flaws you mention have the magnitude or aspect that arouses my concern of AMEN, nor do I appreciate your words. However, I will accept his intrusion for now, and deal with it as it becomes necessary."
    Poise states, her tone rather icy.

28. - Top - End - #58

Magtok narrows his eyes at Vasquez. This is just looking worse and worse for him with every passing moment. He can't help but wonder why he doesn't just shoot her. With Remnant budgets being tight, it would certainly be a while before she could step back into power again, and-

If you don't mind my asking, Empress Vasquez, could we refrain from such immature name-calling and libelous statements in the future? I am not a terrorist. I served in combat against Reinholdt Prime, Calublufiok, and my own daughter to keep the Nexus, and your city, intact. I didn't provide you guys with the MagSat to be nice, I did it because the old regime held me at gunpoint to do it.

Vas, I've been playing things by the book, keeping my nose out of the worst of AMEN activities, and passing out info on the AMENites Riv's forces like it was cheap cigars. The single largest anti-Imperial armor and arms bust wouldn't have been possible without my intel. More recently, I shot Gordon in the head and knocked him out towards the end of the assault, an achievement your incompetent snipers couldn't come close to managing on their own.

If we're going to go pointing fingers at people for associating with AMEN, I can just as easily bring up the Empire's past with the KNAVES remnant, or any number of shady dealings and underhanded ventures that would make me look like Saint Nil by contrast. So with all due respect, Ms. President, while I might not be your best friend in the world, I am not a terrorist, and I'd much prefer you not refer to me as such.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-04-17 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

29. - Top - End - #59
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

"'Magtok'. Entry overwritten. Declared not to be 'terrorist'.Further research is required."

30. - Top - End - #60

Gordon shakes his head.

"Miss Vasquez, you stated that you wanted this council because you lacked knowledge. You still lack knowledge about every person here, so please, don't ruin this run of wise decisions.

Frankly, asking AMEN to help run the city was the wisest choice you made. Doing so with certainly cut down on the number of incidents that will occur."

Gordon leans back, a half smile on his face.

"I am, and therefore AMEN is, capable to working with others, provided if they do not go out of their way to show hostile intent towards us.
    So, let's try to keep this a civil conversation."