New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Dipsnig's ears twitch and he leans back in his chair. That's... more than he expected from someone he mostly knew as an annoying, crazy nymph who wanted them to stalk someone.
    Those aren't half bad ideas, but why can't they be implemented without putting a single person in charge of the city?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zee responds with a nod toward Vasquez. But decides not to going into an explanation of why 'alive' probably isn't the most accurate way to describe herself. "On the issue of the last disaster that was averted I want to thank those that helped put an end to the threat. I never got the chance to thank everyone for their efforts and heroism."

What with being dead and all.

She listens to the proposals of the nymph drow carefully before responding, "I have to agree with Dipsnig. While plenty of these ideas seem reasonable I don't see why we would need to give executive power to anyone to carry them out. And... on the subject of combat training I know there are religious groups in the Nexus that would be strongly opposed to that."

Not violently opposed, though. Since they're non-violent and stuff.

"Forcing everyone to take up arms seems... unwise. If anything it would only encourage those of ill-will to escalate their own force. If the streets are too dangerous then we need more people protecting them. While Remnant is swift to respond and skilled at what they do I can't imagine more help would be frowned upon. For quite some time the police force served that purpose."

A slight laugh from Zee at this point. "I even served with them for a time. But when the Nexus fractured so did the police force. It wasn't carried over to Inside and the facilities were never rebuilt. An Inside Police force existed briefly, but their leadership was bribed out or assassinated by the former Emperor when he was consolidating power."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cessie frowns, not sure what to think of all this. Her feelings were mixed but for the most part she didn't like the idea of handing out weapons to people on the street. To her it sounded like a receipt for disaster.

Some of the other ideas she was more ready to agree on but she still wanted to know how this connected to Ilpholin's WATCH mission. Suddenly being the leader of a violent crime organization was slightly worrying, more so when she suggested this.

Time to contact Wenomir and find out more. She needed to know the details now.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

"I respectively disagree. Those with ill-will generally already have the means or desperation to escalate their own force. This methodology ensures that there is at least an immediate and preventative risk in place for those who would harm others."

"Though I'm not really referring to an extra police force here. If anything the beacons are to help the existing force react with greater expedience and the training is largely in regards to self-defense. There is also the morale factor in that even if these measures fail to be effective in and of themselves, they provide a bright, visible deterrent in perpetrator's minds. But I don't expect that to be the case."

Ilpholin doesn't answer why they need her in charge to enact these plans! Surely they will ignore that bit. I mean, it doesn't seem horribly important. Vote drow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

"Miss Xar'Cha, you've held the floor for some time. I believe other members of the council would like to speak," Major Delisle says.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

"Possibly there was little reaction about AMEN's position on the Council because thus far, the Council has proven either ineffective, or unneeded. At the current time, it is at best a figurehead organization, as you yourself have hinted at." Grace shifts in her seat, folding her hands in front of her as she keeps her eyes on Ilpholin.

"You yourself brought up public opinion, which is why I suppose everyone else is speaking of it as well. 'General appeal,' I believe you said? I see little difference between the two terms. And make no mistake, your position very much impacts your image. When you take up a position as leader of an organization, you become a representative of that organization. You are its head, its public face, and the individual all will think of when that organization is discussed.
    "Now of course, the head of an organization is not responsible for every action of its constituents, nor the actions of their predecessor- but nonetheless, what their organization does reflect on them, because they lead. You have taken up a role of authority in the Association of the Malicious, Evil, and Nefarious, and while you may not have directed its past actions, neither have you changed its rather indicative name, purpose or made an attempt to excise most of the members who made it what it was and still is."

"And as someone who did object to the inclusion of AMEN in the Council, and who still views them as the criminal organization they are, I do not think the public will accept you as a leadership role, and indeed, I do question your suitability to be in this room and have any sort of authority over the citizens of this city." The eudai says firmly. "If any find merits in the rest of your proposal, let them use them as they will, but I have no intention of supporting you in this role."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-04-25 at 05:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

"As Zee's pointed out, there are religious people who would refuse to take up training. And others as well. Even Remnant has it's own share of pacifists. What would you do to those who didn't want it? Kick them out of Inside? And what of those that are medically or psychologically incapable of defending themselves? Again, there's a sizable population of them. While there isn't any real restriction of the sale of weapons in the city, it's still something not everyone will take part in." Vasquez explains.

"And if everyone were required to have arms, what would you do to enforce it? Give everyone guns for free or make them buy their own weapons? As for the "crime reduction" you propose, it's the opposite that would be true. By giving everyone guns, you're making those who use them for less than righteous purposes already, get bigger and better ones. Give a civilian a pistol, and a crook will get a machine gun. Give a civvie body armor, and a crook will find anti-armor rounds. It's called Force Escalation. While your plan would provide a short term deterrent, we'd see criminals with more destructive weaponry such as flamethrowers and missile launchers more often than we already do. Likely with a net result of seeing more civilian and police deaths on a much larger scale than we do now. And this is without getting magic involved. The idea has merit, but it's flawed." Vasquez explains. She's kept true to her word and had been neutral to the entire idea of Ilpholin trying to take leadership of Inside, but she couldn't back something that she thought would result in more deaths. "But, even if you were to do this, where would you get the funding to put all this into motion?"

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't believe that's necessary Mrs. Delisle, seeing as how everyone is already speaking freely and much of it is directed at me to answer." Ilpholin explains politely.

"As for Mrs. Grace, there does not seem to be any particular point in replying to that if you don't even believe I should be here. Though you are incorrect highly about a number of things, if I don't even deserve to be here, then I certainly don't deserve to correct you." Or rather, there'd be little point in it.

"As for the proposition, clearly there will always be exceptions. I'm not talking about arming little children or crippled grannies and no, not everyone will take part." That would be just silly. "But I disagree with you about the escalation. Put a weapon in a civilian's hands and nine out of ten criminals will back down. That one tenth that wishes to escalate things is Remnant's responsibility and always has been. Of course... by your own argument, your very presence causes long term harm. Which is why I consider your argument in that matter is flawed. As mentioned by the kindly graph over here provided by Mrs. Delisle, there's actually been movement towards peace rather than increasing doom. That same principle applies here."

"I personally have enough contacts, favors, friends, and funding to put this into motion personally if need be. As such, funding is a non-issue for me here, though it may be for you, which is part of the reason I suggest putting me in charge. But even if I couldn't do this, I think others here would be willing and able to take up any slack if necessary."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle frowns slightly when Ilpholin uses her graph in support of her plan. "I beg your pardon, Councillor Xar'Cha, but this graph only shows the current trend of crime under the Council's leadership. The same principle does not apply to your proposal. My numbers are from the past, and you are speculating about the future. If the council is inclined to take your plan under consideration, I would recommend a pilot study done in one or two neighbourhoods rather than rolling it out wholesale across the city. Then you might generate numbers that you can use as support for your plan rather than attempting to stretch mine towards a purpose for which they were never intended."

"My personal opinion is advisory only as I do not hold a vote in this body. However, I would like it on the record that anyone who wishes to arm themselves already has the capability, legally and practically, of doing so, and that Watchtower has always had a policy of providing combat training for those who are interested. Forcing further training on the populace, or even urging it with the weight of government propaganda behind it, has the feel of compulsory service. Or worse, of trying to create a citizen's army. As this city no longer has imperial aspirations, I fail to see the necessity."

"However, we have yet to hear from the Councillors from GLoG and HALO. What do you have to add?"
    she says, turning to face Shrike and Tobias.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

"I think you may have a point somewhere in there." Grace says with a smile. "As such, I submit to the Council that before we venture further with this proceeding, that we should discuss the eligibility of AMEN's new leader for a Council position, and following that, on what terms we will recognize proposals she desires to put forth before the Council- whether they are from a council member, an interested citizen, a recognized criminal threat, or a legitimate organization with an interest in the city."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-04-26 at 07:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

"Council was formed with AMEN's leader in a seat. A voice representing. I question, Mrs. Grace. Who do you represent? Why do you have a seat here if you have no one but yourself to answer to?" Everyone else here represents someone, except Grace.

"Now I'm not here to argue about seat positions. I'm here to work on improving Inside. I hope you are here to do the same Mrs. Grace and won't turn this into petty 'they shouldn't be here cause...' arguments." If not, then Council is in worse shape than anyone imagined.

"I was merely using the graph to point out the flaw in the escalation argument, which also speculates about the future. If Watchtower has a training program, it most certainly is not publicized very well. And seeing as how many Red Zone occupants are considered to be scrapping by, I question your practicality clause of capability."

"If you're looking for a neighborhood example, you need look only at where the drow have settled. Each one clearly armed and trained, this neighborhood is all but avoided entirely by criminals and is incredibly peaceful."
    Least it was last time it was posted for.

"Why would this not be beneficial for others as well?"
    She pauses.
    "Though I certainly could accept trial runs in a few other neighborhoods to ensure that it isn't an outlying case and is true in general." There are always a few outliers. More so in the Nexus.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-04-26 at 11:40 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

12. - Top - End - #672

Zee coughs slightly at this point. "Ah, not to be nit-picky. But the council members were chosen because they were outstanding and influential residents of the Nexus. I don't represent any Org unless you're willing to call the waiters at Trog's one."

And that would be silly!

"Making the Nexus safer is a laudable goal. But being anything other than reactive is... difficult. Simply because the Nexus itself has seen fit to throw us curve-balls whenever we think we have things figured out. Just as one example innumerable people who poured vast resources into improving the slums and the various 'red zones'. But despite all these efforts they don't seem to shrink at all. Why?"

Sweeping hand gesture!

"Because the Nexus itself just keeps pulling in new slums and new ruins and new areas of danger and decay because for whatever inexplicable reason that's something that it values. We can help these people as they're drawn into the Nexus. But these problems won't ever go away because they just keep coming back."

Silly crazy Nexus!

"I agree with the other Council members that escalation could be a real issue with making combat training mandatory. Violence has been on the decline for some time now. I'm sure everyone recalls the yearly Spirit Viking incursions into Inside?"
    Zee shakes her head. "It never happened this year. Concerned citizens were able to band together and prevent the longboats from being able to even enter the Nexus. Don't count the people who live here as weak or helpless. A great many of them are far from it."

13. - Top - End - #673

Tobias can't help but be a little amused at Grace moving to discuss the legitimacy of AMEN's spot on the Council. As far as he can recall, the last Aurora project was the Riftline system, which was a highly useful and a noble project indeed. But what have they done since? Tobias also doubts Aurora has any members who do anything, but he's the last person who should be criticizing idle members of other organizations.

And then Zee goes on about annual attacks by Spirit Vikings. The fox-eyed Commander of HALO may be out of the loop regarding current affairs, but he's been in the Nexus for four years and if it was that big a deal he certainly would have heard about it at least once by now. It's possible that she's telling the truth, but her wording suggests that she's lying to prove some point.

Tobias' greatest annoyance is what he views as a personal failure to know what's going on in the Nexus. Clearly he needs to place spies in every organization if he wants any hope of understanding what his supposed allies are doing. It's not all his fault though; would it kill any of the other organization leaders to pick up the phone and call him when they do something big? Like this whole thing about Watchtower providing training--how long has that been going on? HALO has plenty of experienced combatants who would be great at teaching civilians how to protect themselves, if they were only asked to help out. Inter-Organization communication needs to be better.

Enough brooding. Personally, I would prefer if AMEN continued to hold a seat on the Council, especially with such a... reasonable and level-headed leader. Tobias gives a slight smile to Ilpholin. I hope that, should any of us have a problem with the actions of another organization's member, we can solve it diplomatically in this room instead of immediately resorting to violence.

As for the idea of... taking what's going on in Inside and then having someone else do some slightly different stuff, I have no immediate objections. I just want to do what is best for the citizens of the city and I frankly don't know what that is. More information should be gathered.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig rests his head on his hand, feeling somewhat exasperated. Politics. How delightful. And they're all almost as passive-aggressive about it as goblin politicians.
    I still haven't got an answer to my question: regardless of the quality of those ideas or lack thereof, why do we need to put any single person in charge of the whole city to enact them? Can't we just agree on what to do and what not to do and then do it? I suppose selecting one Council member to take care the project would be a good idea, to speed things along, but I don't see why it should be a permanent setup.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

"Actually, escalation is still an issue, but it isn't directed at everyday citizens. Most of it happens towards Remnant now. For the sake of the public, it's generally kept quiet. Mostly it's small scale anyway. Other than that, the Bounties we put up on occasion provide a wonderful deterrent too." Vasquez explains. "As for the Drow Neighborhood, what you're neglecting to mention is that they're all members of your House. I'd know, because I was the one your family negotiated with to make sure that there wouldn't be an issue prior to the formation of the Council. Unless we begin parting out chunks of Inside to large and powerful families with the resources to actually build their own neighborhoods, you're not going to see the results you're saying will happen."

As she speaks, a few things click into place in her mind. Whether or not her thoughts would be correct remained to be seen, but she can bring them up in a moment. "That said, I would also like to hear an answer to Dipsnig, as well as Shrike's, Cessie's, and Magtok's opinions on the matters."

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

"I believe that public reaction to AMEN leading would be rather different than their being on the council, but I'll take your word for it that you're not looking for that," Shrike drawls, looking rather...appreciatively...at Ilpholin. But discreetly!

"I'm not sure about mandatory training. But as the Commander points out, will those who believe in pacifism," and she nearly spits the word as if it were a curse, "be considered exempt? How do you ascertain whether or not somebody already knows? Just take their word for it? Make them take a test? And the beacon system you propose sounds good on paper but is going to be Malfeas for false alarms."

...she then realises that everyone else has already addressed her concerns, and grumbles, shakes her fist at her player behind the fourth wall...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ogre in the Playground

"From what I've gathered, you generally represent the Adventurers of Inside Zee. I didn't say organizations." Magtok, after all, represents a collective, not an organization. But she included Zee in her prior statement.

"Now don't get me wrong, when I said scrape by, that's a vast improvement to the squalor from before. Red Zone and other places has improved dramatically Zee. That I do not question." There has been numerous projects by many players. Grace's Riftline, MaGLoG, charity events such as the slave auction. And to say they've all been utterly pointless in actually improving things very blech at best to me.

"But they've only improved because people have put in the effort to making them improve."

And honestly, her player has never heard of Spirit Vikings before, nor saw anywhere where they were prevented from entering onscreen.

She turns to Vas. "And if escalation is in such a small scale that it's not even public knowledge and easily negated by deterrents like the ones we're discussing now, then it only convinces me more that the benefits easily outweigh any potential negatives. Now Inside... it is a family. It's a large family. It has resources and has built its own neighborhood that others, like the drow and Remnant, have borrowed in exchange for services. The least we can do for it is help provide the means and knowledge with which to defend themselves from harm."

"I am confident enough about the results you so fear won't come to pass, that I am willing to concede trial options and information gathering first. So that we may actually point at something solid and say that it works."

She does sigh a little at Shrike though. Not entirely clear on what the first comment even means, she just addresses what seems to be a recurring issue. "There are always going to be exceptions and allowances. Flexibility is a necessity in these things." Shrike should know about flexibility! "For those morally opposed to the idea as a part of their core beliefs, they can fill out forms and file for exemptions. Those who already clearly know how to defend themselves can meet with one of the training leaders for all of five minutes and be done with it swiftly and be on their way. I don't expect that to be a problem. Really, I do expect some measure of common sense to be involved in any implementation."

"Finally, as for the answer to Dipsnig's question, the reason for putting someone in charge can be found in the clear inefficiency of Council and its current ability to operate. Since it's conception approximately a year ago Council has done... what exactly?" Started a Casino.

"Also you apparently lack funding." That is a sadness!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Grace sighs. This was really all getting nowhere.
    "If I might have everyone's attention for a moment-"
    She'll wait a little for people to quiet, then continue speaking.

"I think it is rapidly becoming clear that discussing this in an open forum format is not ideal. There are quite a few concerns, questions, and points that have been raised, and attempting to dissect and examine them all at once is swiftly becoming a chaotic mess. So, I'd like to suggest that we make a list of those topics we wish to address, choose an order in which to address them, and then discuss each individual point until we have come to some consensus."

Pulling out her silver pen, she taps it on the table once, then begins writing in the air in her trademark pink. "Here are the list of topics I see thus far, in order of their presentation."

• Do we wish to authorize a single person to wield significant power?
    • What will public reaction to be if Ilpholin is appointed to such a role, and how should that impact our decision?
    • Will arming and training the general public actually have significant effect, in light of the efficacy of current protection?
    • Is it necessary to put a single person in charge to implement these changes?
    • How would religious and philosophical objectors to arming the public be handled?
    • Would arming the general public result in safety, or escalating force?
    • In light of the revolution of AMEN and its appointment of a new leader, does the Council still believe AMEN deserves a council representative?
    • How would one enforce arming civilians?

Once she has finished writing, Grace looks to the others. "Now, I suggest that we start off with the most base complaints, which might determine other factors within the discussion, thus giving us a logical order in which the proceed. It would also prevent later discussions rendering earlier discussions irrelevant."

"Now, is everyone amenable to this, and does anyone have anything they would like to add to the list? I am of course assuming that any new questions that come up within discussion can be added and addressed as necessary."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-04-27 at 07:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

"I agree," Delisle says. "However, I think the list of points can be simplified further, as they seem to fall into two basic concerns. The first is the status of the Council itself, including whether it should have an executive position, and the second is the proposal of arming the populace."

She uses her tablet to create a projected list next to Grace's, rearranging the points, but leaving the wording of them unchanged.

Council Structure:
    • In light of the revolution of AMEN and its appointment of a new leader, does the Council still believe AMEN deserves a council representative?
    • What will public reaction to be if Ilpholin is appointed to such a role, and how should that impact our decision?

Arming the Civilian Populace:
    • Will arming and training the general public actually have significant effect, in light of the efficacy of current protection?
    • How would religious and philosophical objectors to arming the public be handled?

"Does this cover everything?" Of course it isn't Delisle's place to make any of the decisions. She is simply providing information and assistance.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-04-27 at 08:03 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Grace nods in approval of Delisle's reorganization, and quietly waits for the opinion of the rest of the Council.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Ilpholin disagrees that this was all going nowhere. Quite a bit has been both brought up and addressed rather reasonably on both sides. But there's naught to say about that.

"I certainly don't mind structure, but since point one seems to only be your concern Mrs. Grace, and I've yet to hear another agree, I don't think we need to go over it further." All the other points at least had two or three other people addressing them, so have been 'seconded' so to speak. Most council members have spoken since Grace brought it up, and none have backed her. Only Magtok and Cessie haven't weighed in.

She is referring to Delisle's organized list and motions to it as appropriate.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-04-27 at 12:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #682

"That looks reasonable to me!" Zee declares after peering at the list for a few moments.

Peeeeering.

And it looks like she isn't going to be responding to the earlier objects to her points. At least not right now. It's time to talk about things in an orderly fashion!

"And as I recall the whole Council objected to AMEN being given a voice here for reasons that are too numerous to repeat. That was Remnant's call in the end, though. They were the ones who called us all here to begin with after all,"
    she points out in relation to Subject One.

"Perhaps we can start there? Should AMEN continue to hold a seat?"

She turns her attention to Vasquez, then to the rest of those at the table.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-04-27 at 12:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #683

Magtok raises an eyebrow at the tablet.

"You seem to have misplaced the second initiative Ms. Xar'cha suggested. I won't go so far as to suggest why you do such a thing, but if reminders are in order, it was a widespread beacon system to ensure immediate and appropriate responses to emergency situations."

He waves a hand dismissively.

"And the Inside Police Department? Evil robots in disguise, who were simply waiting for the right moment to strike out and seize control. Just another vigilante faction that wanted to have the city for itself. Zee is confusing them for the more noble Town era force, which had its own assortment of flaws, including, but not limited to, the fact that they answered to absolutely no one, and had the most astonishingly light prison sentences."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle silently adds a third section to the agenda display:

Council Structure:

Arming the Civilian Populace:

Emergency Beacon System:
    • Should an emergency beacon system be instituted?
    • Would this result in improved response time and crime deterrence, or nuisance and prank calls?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

I was opposed to letting AMEN have a seat when the Council was formed, and I haven't changed my mind. I deferred to Commander Vasquez's judgement, but since my opinion was asked for, that's it. He pauses. And I'm unconvinced that putting a single person in charge of Inside is required. If the Council doesn't work properly, and that seems to be the case, we should improve it instead of scrapping it. He clears his throat and his ears twitch. As for the idea of arming the population, I'm honestly ambivalent. It sounds like it has a great potential for backfiring. The quick warning beacon system has potential though, and the worst that can happen is that if it ends up unused, so there's little risk in trying.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-04-27 at 03:13 PM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez is silent for a moment before she answers. "I think...I think the question shouldn't be whether or not AMEN should have a seat on the Council. I asked AMEN to be here initially in an attempt to make sure their interests Inside included it's welfare. Honestly, I believe it worked to a fair degree. Apart from the occasional disturbance, they had kept their more destructive plans from affecting the City." She says in all sincerity. "It was also to provide us with a different view of things. They are the one organization that has a clear hostile intent, and that should be something that we, as decision makers for the City, should always refer to or at least think of when we form decisions that could possibly change the lives of tens of thousands of people."

"I think that the question we should be asking is whether Ilpholin is representing AMEN's interests, or simply her own. She has stated multiple times that she should be the figurehead, and that AMEN had nothing to do with it. In my opinion, it is a show of gross negligence of a Council Member's duty to the people they represent. We should not have personal agendas here. Our own personal matters cannot be allowed to cloud our judgement or get in the way of clearer heads."

"It is in my honest opinion that if Ilpholin cannot set aside her personal agenda after this meeting and instead represent the interests of AMEN, that a Vote of Confidence in her abilities should be called, but that should not be forced to happen at this time. It is her first meeting here after all and I doubt Gordon had much time to explain procedure to her before leadership was passed."

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let me get this perfectly straight before we continue." Ilpholin says, folding her hands in front of her.

"I am the first person in over half a year to try to urge the Council into attempting to improve its situation and Inside's. I make it perfectly clear that I am in fact keeping AMEN's members preoccupied rather than actively hurting Inside. I set forth proposals that everyone here can determine for themselves whether they would be beneficial for Inside or not."

"Yet despite all this, I am ridiculed and my seat is called into question by someone who in particular has no clear responsibilities to anyone and can only represent personal agenda as a result. And as such, I am then threatened to either represent what AMEN wants, what it truly and utterly wants or lose my seat."

"Am I understanding this correctly? Is this the road we're going down?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

"Miss Xar'Cha, perhaps you are unaware that Grace is the manager of Mallside," Major Delisle says mildly. "As such, she certainly has significant responsibilities within the city."

She chooses not to address the rest of Ilpholin's tirade. That's for the Councillors to answer.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

"I hope," Grace says quietly, "That if one studies my history, and what works I have done, they will find that I have always attempted to stand up for and improve the lot of this city. Yes, I will put forward my personal views, but ultimately, my agenda is not that of my own advancement or selfish desires, but the furthering of the populace and their situation. There have been those who have disagreed with my message and views, and there have been times at which I have failed and faltered. However, my goal has always been that of helping and protecting others, and as such, one might consider me to represent the interests and safety of the people of Inside. That was the point of Aurora, while it still existed. I built Riftline to provide a free service to the people, and Mallside in order to create new opportunities and jobs for them."

"And so representing them is my intention now, in this line of questioning. I feel compelled to ask, in the interests of the safety of the citizens, whether it is the right thing to do to lend political authority to the leader and representative of an explicitly criminal organization."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-04-27 at 04:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you for clarifying that." Ilpholin directs at Mrs. Delisle who pretty much said what Grace did, but faster.

But perhaps I muddled my questions too much. I refuse to be coddled by some first meeting BS. I merely need to know how I should proceed from here."

"Regardless of whether AMEN should have a seat or not, which can be argued for or against later, do each of you,"
    She looks at Cessie, Dipsnig, Grace, Magtok, Shrike, Tobias, and Zee each in turn, expecting them all to answer to this. "Agree with Mrs. Vasquez in that I should set aside all other agendas and represent AMEN's interests?"
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-04-28 at 11:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast