New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

"Right. So long as no one wishes to discuss that further beyond agreement, I will proceed with my own proposal..." Vyrn pauses, and goes on, assuming no one has any objections.

He pulls out a small, palm-size holoprojector and activates it, a blue hologram of the aerial aircraft carrier Sanctuary displaying from it.

"As at least some of you are aware, I have relatively recently found this craft and assumed control of it, with the blessing of its surviving crew, I might add. For the unfamiliar, it is the Imperial aerial aircraft carrier Sanctuary, thought lost with the Empire itself.

Considering Remnant's near-total loss of airpower in the events surrounding the Empire's disappearance, and now the increased likelihood of a renewed AMENite threat whether it is formally sanctioned by their leadership or not, someone needs to step in to deal with it, and I have the perfect opportunity to do so. My proposal is simple. Should you accept, I will dedicate my forces based on the Sanctuary to the defense of the city, in exchange for a full Council seat and supplies to maintain my operation.

I am aware that some of you do not trust me, and therein lies the rationale behind the supply setup-I'm very familiar with the fact that this city is incredibly resource-intensive to hold and defend, and if you believe I am doing anything negative to it with my forces, you may promptly cut off my supplies.

Should you doubt the benefits of this alliance, I have several examples of battle data from the Sanctuary I may share with this Council, which I suspect the Commander also has access to."
    He nods towards Vasquez. "After all, the ship did share battle data with the higher-ranking personnel in the Empire, and that data would have then fallen to her."
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Magtok leans back in his seat, rests his knees on the edge of the table for a moment or two, and then decides against this position, finding it to be more trouble than it's worth. He goes back to sitting as he normal person would, albeit with a bit of a slouch.

"I don't have quite as many objections to this as most of you probably assume I do. I do want to know where this 'increased risk of AMEN attack' thing is coming from, though. That sounds pretty baseless to me. I know none of you presently have any reason to believe my saying so, but speaking as someone who's actually been there for the new AMEN and knows what's actually going on, I can say that Ilpholin's been running a much tighter ship than Gordon ever did. If anything, I think the odds of AMEN attack have dropped. Significantly."

He pauses to glance meaningfully at both Shrike and Vasquez. Two individuals who seem absolutely determined to force AMEN's hand and let it wallow in stagnation against some superior opponent it'd rather not battle with.

"If anyone present thinks we need an entire armada just to beat up some numbskull vampire like Rot, or an invisible warship to smack up a talking flower in a suit of power armor, be my guest and elect Vyrn to our little club house. Me, I think such a course of action might be just a little bit excessive, though."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #753
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn sighs. "You realize I am not only speaking of them, yes? There are any number of other potential threats out there my forces could be useful against. That was merely an example that had conveniently presented itself already. Bear in mind that I was going to propose this before their councilor quit."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

"I fail to see any problem with this proposed course of action. Having more firepower available is always a good thing," Shrike observes, the red-haired exotic Exalt giving Vyrn a nod as she studies him.

...not like that, sickos.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez is silent for a while as she thinks, ignoring both Magtok's look at her as well as any others'. It takes a few moments for her to come to a decision, and it's likely not one anyone wanted to hear. "While I know the merits of having the Airship back to patrolling Inside, I know very well the disadvantages, and at the moment, I do not think the former outweigh the latter for the moment. While Remnant has lacked much in the way of an air force, it has also not needed it. Not only that, but the last time there were several air ships Inside, one got hijacked and crashed. They're very obvious displays of power. Not only that, but they're also quite large and easy to target. That said, just because we haven't needed it, it doesn't mean we won't in the future. For now though, while I'm open to the thought of alliance with Sanctuary, I don't believe we need to do more at the moment. I shall remain neutral."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-05-20 at 01:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig leans back in his chair. I don't really see how having a big-ass airship qualifies one for a Council seat. I wouldn't mind a deal with Vyrn to esure that Sanctuary defends inside, though. I just don't think it merits this sort of position in return.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn frowns at the poor reception thus far, then decides to try to make what he has to offer sound better. "My forces can also perform fast reconnaissance of outside threats, and I do have some limited ground forces ready to reinforce Remnant should it be required. Though it may not seem necessary at this time, I remind you all that in this place, assuming conditions will never change is arrogant and idiotic.

As for some other setup, what would you recommend, then, Mr. Razortooth? As I see it, integration in the Council is the simplest way to go about it, and I don't intend to do this without being represented in some way. To do so would be as if Remnant itself lacked a Councilor, despite all its efforts. Some of my men are former Imperials, and they deserve to have the chance to do the job they signed up for again."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #758

Oh great, the bellicose advisor suddenly has enough firepower to destroy an entire organization. From what little Tobias knows, he doubts that GLoG, NO, or Aurora could defend themselves against a flying aircraft carrier. But, since it seems unlikely that Vyrn would be unwilling to completely relinquish control over such a destructive offensive asset, Tobias decides to propose a compromise. How about you accept an officer's commission from Remnant, Admiral or General or whatever, and assimilate your men into Remnant's armed forces? You can keep command of your carrier group, you get pay and benefits, Remnant can deploy your forces to best defensive effect, your men get to do their jobs, and Inside is protected. Everybody wins.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, as Aurora has not existed for nearly a year, it is incredibly unlikely that it could muster the force to deal with a flying aircraft carrier. On the other hand, as it has nothing to defend, it doesn't exactly have anything to fear from a flying aircraft carrier. How lucky!

Grace, meanwhile, probably can't deal with a flying aircraft carrier either. What power she had was drastically reduced when she left Celestial Dynamics, and she couldn't have fought something like that on her own anyway. But for all his flaws, Grace can't really see Vryn just randomly blowing up non-combative parts of Inside, so she isn't really worried about Mallside and her other projects getting destroyed.

"To claim a council seat is to say you represent a significant faction or portion of Inside in some way." Grace explains carefully. "While impressive, I don't think Sanctuary really counts in that way, especially when you are also asking us to support it. The Council does not financially support anyone else here, at least in a direct capacity- doing that would put you more on the level of a Council funded project, I think. Further, this would sway your interests unfairly- perhaps dangerously- towards the donating party; Even if it was simply Council at large, this would divert attention from where our interests should lie."

"Tobias's suggestion seems to be a more reasonable course to me. It ensures the consolidation and cooperation of more powerful defensive forces, among other benefits, and gives you the sponsor you need. Of course, the defense of Inside is not something I have involved myself in for some time, so I defer to Vasquez's judgment, and the judgment of council members more active in that area, on whether defending Inside actually requires such an asset."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2012-05-21 at 06:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I agree with Tobias and Grace, unless the council needs a personal army I would say Byrn have a better chance in Remnant. You are already familiar with a great deal of people there aren't you?" The sorceress says.

"Otherwise there is always Watch, but we already happen to have an airship. Perhaps not as large but considering our low numbers, it's all we need."

11. - Top - End - #761
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn visibly frowns. "I have no desire to be the commander's personal attack dog, no offense to her. As for whether it counts as enough for a Council seat, I feel I should ask what makes Remnant itself different. Seniority, difficulty of removal? Because otherwise, every argument for their presence applies to this as well. Many of the crew on Sanctuary are from this city, and signed up to defend it while the Empire still reigned. Aside from when it occurred, that is no different from the men and women in Remnant. Most of those I hired to replace the lost are from here as well, and they too support the plan. What makes us all so different, so deserving of being only subordinate to the rest of you instead of equals? Give me an answer better than 'fear' and I may consider it, though I doubt Vasquez likes the prospect too much herself."

Despite his rather angry choice of words, Vyrn actually sounds relatively calm as he speaks, keeping his tone level.
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2012-05-22 at 03:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

"Advisor Vyrn, you did an able job of leading the city back when you were in charge, but you came to power by force and were deposed by force. Vasquez could have continued the tradition of ruling by might makes right, but she chose to spread the leadership role. Anyone who has issues with the way the city is run can consult the council member who most represents their interests, and that member can bring it to the table.

You are no more or less equal than any person here, or any other citizen of the city. The people in this room aren't here because they consider themselves the rightful leaders of the city, and I get the feeling most of them consider it rather a tiresome duty rather than an honour."
    Delisle says.

Her voice is also calm, and starting to show a bit of weariness from the long and contentious meeting.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe I already clearly stated my reasoning, and I do not find a comparison with Remnant necessary, or appropriate." Grace says decisively. "And I stand by what I said."

She pushes back her seat and stands. "If we have nothing else to discuss, I will take my leave."

14. - Top - End - #764
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn merely nods this time. "The point of equality is exactly what I'm trying to make. The argument that we do not qualify is flagrantly inaccurate, for the reasons I described, and I feel my experience makes me more suited for the direct role rather than bothering another whenever I decide something needs to be said. The less bureaucracy we all have to deal with, the better, I say."

He declines to comment on Grace's impending exit.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

"I personally have no problems with the proposal suggested by Councilor Tobias," Shrike speaks up from her chair, where...it looks like she's been using a rather ornate dagger to clean her nails.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fine with Tobias' proposal as well. My opinion on giving Vyrn a Council seat remains unchanged, Dipsnig says dryly. Vyrn's confrontational attitude didn't help his case.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well. I will not be accepting that proposal unless someone makes a very convincing argument for it, and should there be no other issues I will remain in my current post for now. But..." Vyrn looks toward Vasquez. "If I am going to do so, I have to ask.

Is my position here as much of a pretense to keep me under control as AMEN's was? Be honest, Commander."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

"In all honesty? No." Vasquez replies truthfully. "You are neither a loose cannon, nor the sort of person to try and take over once again. I asked you here because of your particular experience on the matter of ruling the City. While all else here might be the head of something, you were an actual Emperor. As for an offer? Well, we can work out details later if you'd like to see if there's anything that might shift your view point on the matter." The Commander offers.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Right, so is there anything else we need to discuss while we are here besides Vyrn's eventual membership?" Cessie asks, getting tempted to leave as well.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

"I think that silence is a no. Until next time then." Grace gives a somewhat stiff bow, then makes her way to the exit, relieved to have the session over.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Orc in the Playground

"Very well, Commander, we will speak of it later. That said, for those of you still here, I do have a piece of advice," Vyrn starts, glancing about the remaining councilors. "I would simply like to remind you all that this council has the potential to do great things, to change them for the better instead of sitting around and waiting for something to come up. It is the assumption that there is nothing to do or change, or that nothing can be changed, that stifles progress. The proof lies in Remnant-its predecessor started as naught but an idea in the mind of one man. While that may seem egotistical of me, it remains the truth. That idea grew, became reality, changed, but its effects remain today.

Such great legacies are what this council should strive to create. Now, I believe this meeting is essentially over. Do consider my words."
    Assuming no one decides to bring anything else up before he does, Vyrn will then depart as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

22. - Top - End - #772

Tobias Vulpan walks into the Council room and sits down at his usual spot. He places two devices on the table in front of him. He pushes the button on his communicator which will summon all the other Councilors. He pushes the button on his stopwatch to start it. And then he leans back in his chair and waits.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Alice Delisle, Acting Commander of Remnant, arrives in 8 minutes. "Mr Vulpan. How are you?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #774

I'm pretty good. And yourself...? I'm sorry, is it Lt. Delisle? He takes a mental note of the time, then tries to figure out what her rank insignia is so he can address her properly. He's never been formally introduced, and just thinks of her as Vasquez's aide.
    Last edited by FireFox; 2012-08-25 at 11:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

"It was, yes. Now it's Major," Delisle says. She seems nervous - something she's never shown before in Council. No doubt because she's never been thrown in way over her head like this. "I'm going to hope that this is a not an apocalyptic level emergency?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

It's a few minutes later when a cloud of dust arrives outside the Council building.

A moment later, Shrike walks in, fully dressed (for once) and without a speck of dust on her. The Exalt taking a seat with nod to the others.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #777

Ah, congratulations on your promotion. He smiles. Well, to be honest, Major, I've received news of an impending apocalypse. Fortunately, we have half a year to prepare for it, so before I bring it up, I'd like to discuss one or two other issues. If I alarm everyone at the start of this meeting, we'd never get to the important business of running the city.

Tobias returns Shrike's nod and makes a mental note of her time.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Please let Vasquez be back by then. Please let Vasquez be back by then. Please let Vasquez be back by then.... Delisle pleads.

"Of course. Since you've set the agenda, would you like to lead the meeting?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #779

Yes, I would, thank you. The fox-eyed Commander of HALO picks up on a little of her nervousness and smiles reassuringly at her.

30. - Top - End - #780

Magtok arrives, not quite as timely as would be typical for him. I suppose he finally got that one clone to stop living here and actually find some real work, aside from governing, to occupy its time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi