New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Dipsnig sits quietly with his eyes closed for some time, while the others speak. His ears twitch, and so do the muscles on his jaws.

"Thank you for being open and up-front about it, Vasquez," he says, without opening his eyes. "I quit."

Now he opens his eyes, leans forward, and his lips curl back in a snarl, showing his teeth at their full length. He's absolutely furious and he can't even try to hide it.

"I've had it. Ever since joining this Council, I've been shown no respect whatsoever, bullied, threatened and told to do as Vasquez says, or else. When I came to her with information about Magtok's assassination attempt, she refused to punish him and threatened me if I didn't keep it quiet. And now I'm being belittled and insulted on top of it all. To the Devouring Dark with it. I'm not your disposable goblin, Vasquez. I'm not going to be kept here as a stuffed puppet to let you pretend you're democratic!"

He gets off his chair.

"Now excuse me while I prepare for the inevitable Remnant assault. You can find me in whatever is left of the NO base after they're done."

He heads for the door.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

Holotok almost completely ignores the resulting storm from Vasquez’s reply, turning his attention solely to Tobias. "HALO can assault their orbital compound. It's easy enough to find, everyone used to call it LANTERN back in the day. I’m trying to determine whether or not the clone they kidnapped can send back a signal and tell me where their other base is, but that’s slow-going at the moment. For obvious reasons, however, I’m afraid I can’t allow anyone, even the faction I’ve yet to suspect of assassinating me, into the MagCave. Even if I could, my last resort is to blow the whole place to kingdom come to keep Excelsior from taking it. Both sides will be using teleport-blockers, and I’m sure you wouldn’t want any of your people caught in the explosion.

Oh, and I’d just like to call attention to an error in my wording a moment ago. The hologram said ‘You'll realize that the only reason Excelsior is going after me is because back when they were in AMEN, I held their leash every time they wanted to nuke AMEN.’ I meant to type ‘they wanted to nuke Inside,’ but one of the Magbots over here was busy giving me an update on the Association’s recent venture into Riverside, and well…anyways, very large difference there. I think they developed flesh-eating viruses or something for such an attack. Or it might be their current army that was supposed to be deployed. I don’t remember, it was back from when Gordon still had a seat here, and I never figured on Riv ever mattering enough to save those memory files. Point being, it was really nasty, and I was acting in both AMEN and Inside’s interests by putting a veto on that little eruption of death and chaos. Mine as well, but that goes without saying, really. MagMart doesn’t so do well in cities at war with AMEN, as our Riverside branch has recently indicated. And also DC would send a hovertank to murder me without warning for being in the city on unrelated business, as was also recently demonstrated."

A rather pointed look is given towards the Watchtower rep. Not entirely fair, seeing as how Cessie isn’t DC, but he’s hoping the message gets passed along. "I don’t know what his problem is, by the way. What does he have to gain from my destruction? I’ve been nothing but cooperative in apocalypses, and any disagreements we’ve had on other things have been so minor that conspiring to have me permanently removed from the Nexus is just insane. A single kill in some podunk town by a lake, that’s fine, I’m used to losing clones now and then. I have to be reasonable about MagDeaths, but this magical radioactive bunker buster business? That’s just too much. But it has to be him, doesn’t it. Who else, besides Remnant (which is beyond suspicion because Vasquez has a terrible poker face and would totally have me sniped instead of endangering her men if it came to that) has that kind of air superiority?"

That's awfully close to another accusation, Magtok. Oh, and congrats on finally recognizing that Vasquez and the emperor she rebelled against aren’t joined at the hip, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

To her credit, Vas doesn't seem bothered by any of the responses to her and simply watches as Dipsnig leaves. Once he does, she gives a small sigh of annoyance. "I can't force anyone to stay and I won't. If anyone else wishes to leave, go ahead but at least hear the rest of what I have to say." She says before looking back at Vyrn. "As far as assassinations go, I don't react to such because simply put, my life isn't worth it." She tells them all honestly. "No single life is. I can't consider it so in my position. My life isn't worth such retaliation, your life isn't, and neither is anyone else's in this room. Any personal reservations about the matter can go screw themselves. That's simply the way it is. Perhaps if you had seen things that way, you'd still be an Emperor and more liked." She adds with a shrug before looking around.

"Let me put it simpler. I don't like my job. No sane person would. No one wants to sit and sign death certificates all day and make decisions that will result in deaths. Maybe not the death of a Remnant, but somebody's. I can't afford myself the privelage of letting my personal feelings and emotions get in the way of figuring out how the majority of people under my protection can survive. My position is one in which I have to look around at all the people I hold dear and wonder how I can spend their lives so that they're the most cost effective."

"My life isn't safe from that either. My life is forfeit. The lives of all my Remnants are forfeit, and your lives are forfeit if you truly wish to help the people here. You were all asked here because I believed that in some manner you had a stake in this City and wished to keep it as safe as we can. If I am under the wrong impression, then by all rights leave this chamber, but those that stay..."
    Vasquez takes a deep breath and shakes her head with a sigh.

"Those that stay, let us be under no impression that we need to be allies. Or even friendly to one another. Our goal should be to protect the mostly innocent lives that reside here. Personal agendas have to be set aside and the cold facts looked at. This is the price of Authority." She tries to explain before looking back at Vyrn.

"Am I paranoid? Certainly, but that fault is not just mine. I've suffered first hand the results of believing you know someone only to find out at the wrong moment that you really don't. I've nearly died as a result and I can't let that happen again. Perhaps at the start I thought of trying to control you and your Irregulars, but it was obvious that such tactics would never work with you. I've given you quite a lot of freedom to do as you see fit and haven't spoke up at all till this point. I don't like you and I doubt I'll ever trust you, but you are most certainly not someone's "Attack dog"." Vasquez clarifies before turning back to the others, but most especially the Exalt.

"I've never claimed to be a good diplomat." She admits with a shrug. "I never wanted to be one. I'm a soldier and I'm always going to try and stay a soldier. I'd like everyone here to be friendly as it'd make things smoother, but I'm not idealist enough to believe that'll ever happen. If people wanted to be friends and help coordinate a defense with me, they need to come over and talk. They need to come and help plan. They need to stop by and ask if anyone needs help or to ask for help themselves. Hell, just stop by and have a drink and that'd work. It'd at least help remind one another that we're all in this together."

"But that hasn't happened yet."

"As for killing anyone? Yes, it's possible if they prove to be an immediate threat with no other alternative. As I said, I don't like the deaths involved with this job, but it's what has to be done. But as long as it stays out of Inside, I don't care what you all do. Genocide, murder, stealing candy from a baby, whatever. My job is to protect the city, nothing else."

4. - Top - End - #844
    Orc in the Playground

"Airstrike? You never mentioned any airstrikes last time you were talking about the attacks on your base, Magtok." Vyrn points out a bit of an inconsistency in Magtok's claims. (He mentioned artillery last time.)

"Regardless, if you mean to accuse me due to my possession of air power, I hope this Council, or whatever is left of it by the time this is done, knows better than to condemn me for simple capability when there is no evidence beyond that pointing to me. In fact, before this point I even offered him some extra munitions and some assistance, though the guard I offered unexpectedly had other matters come up. Your haste to spout accusations at those who try to help you does you no credit." He pauses.

"Though at this point, if we're excusing assassination attempts, blackmail, and outright killing other Councilors, I doubt we're going to bother seriously punishing whoever did it anyway." He does a good job of sounding disdainful, there.

"Correct me if I am wrong, but that does seem to be the precedent here, judging from the actions that have been revealed today." He raises an eyebrow. There is something of a point there. "Unless Mister Razortooth is right and it is only Remnant and Magtok that get free passes, in which case I still have to wonder what the point of this is."
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #845
    Troll in the Playground

"Part of that is our not cooperating as much as possible, yes," Shrike allows in response to Vasquez, nodding ot the Commander. "However I think that, as de facto leader of this Council, being a bit more...tactful...might be advisable at times. However, that's just me. I usually hit problems to make them go away," she says shrugging.

She makes no move to stop the goblin from slamming the door on his way out.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

6. - Top - End - #846

Tobias closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He decides to ignore all the long-winded, angry rhetoric for now so that he can focus on the important issue. Okay Magtok. I will make sure their space station is destroyed. If you would like to send your family to HALO, I'll keep them safe. He doesn't believe Magtok would agree to that, given their history, but the offer is sincere. If you need any more help, don't hesitate to call me.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

7. - Top - End - #847

"I'm afraid that's all I can risk asking for right now, Councilor."

The cyborg allows for the possibility that his circumstances might change, though. So I guess that's something.

"Vyrn, all I know is a big ugly hunk of metal crashed through my ceiling, directly into the factory, and then started blasting the whole room with magical radiation corroded every single thing it could get at. Artillery, airstrike, all I could be sure is that it was in the air before it came crashing down. That entire area had to be quarantined.

On top of that, your munitions were bombs. Not guns, not ammo, just bombs. Let's not pretend you're trying to help me, Vyrn; it's been obvious from the outset of this Council meeting that you want nothing more than to see me removed from the Nexus. The only viable use for your generous aid is in orchestrating my own demise."
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle is completely stunned by Vas's two outbursts. She can only guess that Vas is trying to get the council to disband itself for reasons of her own.

But except for a muttered, "You've got that right," when Vasquez says no sane person would want the job of leading Remnant, Delisle has nothing to say.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

9. - Top - End - #849
    Bugbear in the Playground

After having keep her silence for a long time Cessie finally decides to speak up. "I think we all have had enough of accusations being thrown around by now. If we continue this way, quite sure everyone will have left this so-called council which is why I'm going to make it simple, this must stop or I will leave this council and recommend each one of you to do the same.."

She turns to the Remnant Commander. "Vasquez, you were the one that took the initiative for this council and right now you are the reason it's going to disband if nothing is done. Everything you have said here, your distrust and lack of respect for each member are excellent points. Since I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one oozing of disrespect for the other members." She gestures towards holotok. "Magtok being the prime example."

The sorceress looks to the cyborg. "While I can assure you Watch had nothing to do with the bombing of your base I'm quite certain you would never take my word for it. We haven't exactly got along well and your distrust for the the other members of Watch, like DC, is quite evident as well. The reason he killed your clone in Riverside was because of your afflictions to AMEN who were invading the city at the time. Something you failed to mention. In fact, I'm not always sure whose interests you are representing here in the council Magtok as you are also a member of AMEN. A group of self-proclaimed evil-doers I have no idea what they were doing in the council in the first place."

She turns back to the rest of the council. "In fact, I'm not sure what many of you really do here. As far as I understand it, the council was made to make decisions for inside. But not any of you, besides Remnant, actually live in the city. How in the world are we supposed to make decisions for a city we don't even live in? It doesn't feel fair to it's citizens that they are controlled by a group of people that only have the faintest afflictions to it.

So if you truly want this train wreck of an council to work that's all have to change. Each member of this council that wants to have a say better also have invested something in the city we're supposed to protect. I'm sure each one of you can contribute something to this city but you aren't since all we have thought about to this point is our own organizations needs. Never insides. The council have so far done a horrible job helping this city in any way I have seen. Every time we have meet there have only been bickering which not even have been relevant to Inside all the time. We simply have too much interests in our own organizations agendas and too little in the betterment of Inside.

So I suggest that from now on each council member and their representative organizations needs to contribute something to Inside if they like to remain within this council. It can be in the form of protection, money, new buildings, anything. If that doesn't happen, we might as well not be a council. Just a group of outsiders trying to backstab each other without even a single thought of the city we were founded to help and that's just not something I wish to be a part of."
    She shakes her head and raises from her seat as if she's about to leave the room. She might too depending on the reaction from the rest of the council.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2013-06-17 at 06:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

As he wasn't stopped, Dipsnig slams the door behind him with all the force his small frame can muster. Unless the Council room doesn't have a door one can slam. Then he just leaves.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Orc in the Playground

"Magtok. One: Have you even bothered considering the obvious possibility that your enemies have weapons more powerful than you know? Two: I contributed the munitions because I had an excess supply of them and no way to use them normally. I spared what I could spare, essentially, and I thought you could find a use for them easily. Vyrn's tone as he starts talking is rather indicative of his opinion. He's being incredibly dismissive, and it's a surprise he's not rolling his eyes.

Until Cessie finishes, there, that is.

He proceeds to do an odd thing and actually agree. "Councilor Mithar raises an excellent point. Some of my own issues stem from the fact that the Irregulars have been contributing much more than some Council member organizations, and relegating us to the sidelines is insulting and degrading in light of that. It is also part of my position regarding Magtok, as he threw away his major contribution. I had planned on using the orbital array I spoke of to offset this by allowing other Council members to be aware of more events. HALO in particular would benefit from access to it, as it would allow them to see much more than they do in their undersea base. I'd hoped that this would allow them to be more active." He looks around at the others present for a moment before continuing.

"I am trying to make this Council work, but to do that, I need you all to work with each other instead of throwing accusations and attacks everywhere. Yes, Magtok included, despite his precarious position. I had originally planned on outright calling for his removal, but I reconsidered and decided to discuss potential punishments with the Council first. Should it still be a problem, I am willing to put off any discussion of sanctions against him until his crisis is over, though I want it on the record that I find the preferential treatment he gets ludicrous and ill-advised."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

"I agree, and it would help if things were...phrased more diplomatically, instead of 'if you are a threat you will die in your sleep'," Shrike says levelly, shrugging. "And GLoG would be more than happy to contribute medical care, and refguee housing, as we have in the past."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez opens her mouth, about to reply to everything but stops to consider the base line of it all. It takes her a few moments, but she'll finally speak when she does. "Barring everything else that has been said today and that has been done in the past, are any of your Orgs, aside from Vyrn, GLoG and possibly Magtok and HALO, willing to do something in this city? A fine point has been raised. If none of the Orgs are willing to help Inside, they shouldn't be here."

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    The sorceress looks to the cyborg. "While I can assure you Watch had nothing to do with the bombing of your base I'm quite certain you would never take my word for it. We haven't exactly got along well and your distrust for the the other members of Watch, like DC, is quite evident as well. The reason he killed your clone in Riverside was because of your affiliations with AMEN who were invading the city at the time. Something you failed to mention. In fact, I'm not always sure whose interests you are representing here in the council Magtok as you are also a member of AMEN. A group of self-proclaimed evil-doers I have no idea what they were doing in the council in the first place."
    "I'm sorry everyone, I know I've been rather abrasive this whole council meeting, and I'm going to try to cut down on that, but f*** you, Miss Mithar. I was going to keep quiet about this, but I just...I just can't. If DC wants to start shooting people for affiliating with AMEN for heinous purposes, he can start with the entire Watchtower organization. Your group's double agent, Ilpholin Xar'Cha, is the present leader of AMEN and director of its invasion of Riverside. I helped you get her into that position, as you'll recall.

Yes, rather than retake AMEN for myself, as was my right as most senior member, I chose to give your organization direct control of mine. That leadership conflict with me and her against Prometheus and Gordon is half the reason Excelsior is waging war on my home and livelihood, remember? I really don't think my involvement in AMEN is an excuse for Watch to perforate my torso, so much as something that I should be thanked for, for putting my own ego aside and letting you take AMEN over and weaken it from within, without any of the AMENites realizing what's going.

Christ, I don't even know what we're really doing in Riverside, do you? Your own pointy-eared friend and associate supposedly came up with the idea herself, and has kept me in the ****ing dark about its purpose the whole time. DC's company has been making a suspicious amount of money and friends by opposing us though, hasn't he? What the hell is really going on with Ilpholin and DC, Ms. Mithar? I think I, and the city of Riverside, deserve to know. Maybe not here, maybe after the Council meeting somewhere, but your secrets are killing people, and I'd like to know where to stand on you and your organization when I'm not so busy with my own war that all I can do is sit back and watch."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

"Given that the purpose of that operation was supposedly to weaken AMEN, it seems like the most obvious conclusion is that she is a rogue agent. Still, I would like to hear it from Ms. Mithar as well, even if we can technically do nothing about it due to jurisdictional problems. If she is a rogue agent, they could very well come for this city again next, with no one to keep them down. Perhaps we could inform the drow of the problem and let them sort it out, given the name?" Vyrn, of course, sees a rather bad scenario. Perhaps not worst-case, but bad nonetheless.

Enough that he's considering trying to get the drow to go do drow things at Ilpholin.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #856

Cessie regards the cyborg cautiously as he's finished. During his whole speech she couldn't help but remember why she had choose to not involve herself much with politics in Hestopia. Ever so often you had to deal with these types of situations.

The fact she was was using an elemental body didn't make it easier, she couldn't find her center and relax while holding up eldritch creations like this. "I'd appreciate it if you'd keep a civil tone, but I guess that's too much to ask for in a meeting like this." She starts. "But if it eases your feeling of helplessness some, Ilpholin is as far beyond your grasp as ours."

The sorceress turns to the other councilmembers. "While it is true Ilpholin was intended to be a double-agent in AMEN that is no longer true, if it ever was. It eventually became clear she had dual loyalties, especially as a Ilpholin showed up in Watch shortly before the Riverside invasion."

Cessie turns to look at the cyborg once again. "I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of clones Magtok and that's what showed up in Watch. But rather than a perfect clone of Ilpholin, it was another version of her. From what have been explained to me there are two Ilpholin's now, one in Watch and one in AMEN, two different persons that while both looking like her has different personalities and goals. Apparently her dual loyalties made her split into two since she couldn't hold it together mentally using powers she acquired from an Oni, a powerful being of my world. Some here might be familiar with the being known as "Libra" which are one of them."

She pauses, taking a deep breath and shifts her attention from Magtok back to the other councilmembers. "In any case, I'm sure this sounds complicated enough already but DC have nothing to do with either the Ilpholin in Watch or the one in AMEN and Watch certainly has nothing to do what AMEN is doing there."

17. - Top - End - #857

"So AMEN is being led by half an Ilpholin now," Magtok repeats, with a long, dragged out sigh. He'd find that darkly amusing, if it weren't so horribly exasperating. Even when this thrice-damned invasion is over, he'll have his work cut out for him. So much politics left to hack through, when he was hoping to finally escape all that nonsense once this war passed.

"Well that's fantastic. So rather than telling me any of this earlier, you guys chose to shoot me repeatedly in the chest without warning. The attack went through my spine, leaving me crippled, gasping for breath, and a bloody smear on a hover-tank's windshield for minutes before I could expire. Minutes spent lying in my own fluids, waiting for the sweet mercy of oblivion, because I was walking around in what Watch arbitrarily decided was the wrong neighborhood. You could've interrogated me about what I was doing, told me to leave first, or done any number of things before escalating to cold-blooded murder, but no, I'm perforated to death for kicks and giggles. Then I complain about this, insist you guys are doing something wrong, and I'm the one who needs to work on my civility."

The hologram Magtok throws its hands into the air.

"No, y'know what? Never mind, forget it. I don't even want to hear your excuses, I'm done with this. From now on I'm never doing anything for a single one of you without due compensation. I've given you all special treatment for far too long, permitted too much treachery from all but one two of you. I'm sorry, Vasquez; I didn't want to be the next one to walk out that door, but I can't help your city if I have to work with these treacherous scumbags to do so. I was going to wait until after the invasion to do this, but it's going so well for my side right now that it doesn't really matter.

MagCorp officially secedes from Inside, from Riverside, from the world. Any alliances or agreements, implied or otherwise, are over. If any one of you dares go near me again, I will destroy you without hesitation. No more 'there's always more clones, you're overreacting' justifications, no more 'he's not worth getting into a war with Watchtower over' mercy, no nothing. I will strike down the next one of you disgusting, self-righteous pigs who think they can strike at me or my people without retribution. You will know death as I have known it a thousand times before, and I will gladly cut down any and all who stand in your defense."

The Magbot carrying the hologram Magtok stands up from its seat at the table.

"Magbot, return home. And on your way back, let Dr. Graves know I've reconsidered my earlier rejection of his Skyside proposal. An opening just popped into my schedule, and I want him to have it."

It doesn't wait at the door for anyone to talk its master out of this, it just up and starts walking away. The cyborg's likely not coming back again.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2013-07-22 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Forgot Remnant didn't do any treachery, either
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Shrike, for her part, stayed quiet.
    Although the redhead's expression spoke volumes.
    About how...fascinating she found all this.

When Magtok went to leave, though, she finally spoke up.
    "Well, then, what exactly have we done to you, lately, we being the organisation I represent? As opposed to what you might have done to us, hm?"

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #859

Holotok gestures for the robot carrying him to stop in its tracks, and then points it towards Shrike. Rather than respond himself, however, the hologram disappears.

"Very well. Reinholdt is one of your own, Councilwoman Shrike. So to answer your question, GLoG has condoned MagCave infiltration, theft, and attempted sabotage. M'lord says we have always done our best to honor our friendships with the League's earliest leaders, but sheltering and defending the cat after his violating the sanctity of our home is not an insult we take lightly. We hope that clarifies matters. Good day, Councilwoman Shrike."

And then out it goes, assuming there's no more last-second questions trying to delay its exit.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

20. - Top - End - #860
    Orc in the Playground

"An affront to justice if there ever was one, that..." Vyrn mutters. Of course, some would call him a hypocrite, to which he would say that whoever equates his actions with apocalypses needs to have their brain checked, as clearly there is something wrong with it. He's kind of a jerk like that.

Beyond that he doesn't comment. Mostly on account of not really minding Magtok running off. At least he doesn't seem to feel the need to snipe at him about that?
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Magtok leaves, Vasquez raises an eyebrow at Cessie. "Knowing Ilpholin was one of your members being in charge of AMEN would have been a handy piece of information." She admits.

What? Vas doesn't know everything that's going on? The horror!

After another moment, she sighs and shakes her head before looking at Cessie again. "As a word of warning, not to you specifically, but to Watch especially as well as all else still in this room. Killing a Clone in this city, any clone, not just Magtok, will mean whoever does so will be treated as a murderer like everyone else. Remnant does not consider anyone to be second-class citizens, be they robot, demon, goblins, slave, or clone. Killing something just because you think they aren't a "real person" means crap here. Anyone that does it here will be arrested, imprisoned, and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. Any member of an Org doing so will mean that all of that Org's holdings in this city will be seized until reparations are made. Is that clear?" She asks in a low, serious, but non-threatening tone as she looks the remaining members in the eyes if possible.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn raises a hand slightly to interject. "One thing. If said clones are independent individuals, then by all means, I see no problem with that. Networks like the one Magtok exists as seem more complicated. If we treat each one like an independent individual, then it allows the collective to commit crimes and end up largely unaffected as a whole. I cannot say I am comfortable with anyone capable of exploiting a loophole like that, much less one as...erratic as Magtok is."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

23. - Top - End - #863

"The operation was classified." Cessie answers Vasquez in a neutral tone.

"As for clone killing, I would personally not have killed him, but as I represent Watchtower here I will try to answer for DC who felt it completely justified thanks to the fact it was a warzone. I do agree with you however on the accounts of the death, but perhaps for a more moral reasons than anything else. So I will talk him about it and make sure it doesn't happen again." She promises.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

"Give me proof that Magtok is a true Hivemind and not a collection of connected individuals, then perhaps I'll go that route, Vyrn. I'm not going to intrude on individual rights. He might be the most noteworthy clone or copy, but there are doubtlessly others around. The moment I start saying someone isn't a person publicly, there're going to be riots in the streets."

25. - Top - End - #865
    Orc in the Playground

"He exists as a connected network thanks to his cybernetics, and they all act under the same banner. This is common knowledge, is it not? That loophole allows him and any other similar collectives to emerge effectively unscathed so long as they make sure they only use one clone at a time to commit crimes. Allowing anyone that kind of loophole is dangerous. What if someone even more erratic than him notices and decides to abuse it themselves? I am not the only one who sees the danger in that, am I?" Vyrn looks around at the other Councilors.

"My proposal is simple. Make the entire collective accountable for the crimes of one of its members unless sufficient evidence is provided that the clone in question was separated from the network. This does not rob a collective of its rights as a sapient being, but merely eliminate a loophole so that it cannot be abused. It is still protected by the same laws as the rest of us. Shooting a member of the collective unprovoked will still be considered murder."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

"And if one of your Irregulars acts on his own and kills innocents, you are to be held accountable too?" Vasquez asks with a raised eyebrow. "After all, your soldiers and mine are all interconnected amongst themselves. Perhaps they are only so through external radios, but they are all part of the same "collective" of units, are they not? There would be many people who say that one of our soldiers is much like any other, especially people who don't really know the differences. We have to hold ourselves to the same standards we set."

27. - Top - End - #867
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn scowls. One gets the impression he's keeping himself from rolling his eyes. "The official law for the books will be picked through and written to eliminate faulty reasoning like that. Here, I speak in broad proposals, not legal minutia. This is for the sake of politeness, as I don't believe every Councilor here is well-versed in said minutia.

Regardless, our respective forces are not parts of collectives with us. We have no network built into our very bodies, nor inherently shared awareness. Beings like Magtok do. Each body in the collective, from what we have seen, shares the same personality, the same memories, and the same beliefs. Their cybernetics link them together far beyond anything either of our organizations do, unless you have a cybernetics project you haven't told me about. Being tied to an organization is not the same thing as being part of a collective such as that.

A given body of Magtok's has its brain cybernetically linked to the others on a level far beyond mere radio chatter. We cannot share our memories and senses like that. We can describe what we see and what we experience with words, but that is a far cry from what one of these collectives can do. To compare them to our organizations is highly inaccurate, for people in them do not have those capabilities, and they are entirely capable of dissent with the whole. I believe that you demonstrated that yourself during my original rule, Commander. Then, the Empire was no extension of me at all. We have seen no such dissent among Magtok's collective. Even then, I have accounted for it already, when I specified that the collective would not be held accountable for the actions of a clone separated from the network."
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2013-07-31 at 03:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

"My point is that I can't charge an entire collective with a crime when all I know is what a Clone has done. Perhaps I can charge them with Conspiracy to Commit, but if their hands do not actually get involved, then my own hands are tied. If that Clone says he was forced to do it, then I can charge the entire Collective. But until then, unless I have actual proof, I can't do everything you want. My organization is supposed to represent the law of Inside. I refuse to pick and choose and to make little exceptions just at the sake of trying to screw over one person. If I can do that, what's to stop me from doing so again and again?" Vasquez tries to ask gently as she tries to deliver her point home.

"As for someone killing a Clone, I do agree that it should be treated as murder." Vasquez says, agreeing. "But instead of discussing this here, perhaps we can work the bugs out of such a law at some other point. I think there might be other matters to attend to here first."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2013-08-01 at 06:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Orc in the Playground

Vyrn shakes his head. "This is about more than Magtok. It's entirely possible that more entities like him may arise in the future. They need not be linked through the same means. Perhaps it would be a telepathic link instead of a cybernetic one, perhaps some other unknown technique entirely. But it would be the same principle. Standard legal systems are difficult to apply to the Nexus with its myriad races and each one's characteristics, and this is no different. An individual nation's or world's laws cannot be applied and expected to remain unchanged. We must adapt the law for the situations we face here. The alternative is chaos and exploitation of the system, as Magtok has abused again and again in the past. We must not allow collectives this ability to abuse their nature, lest we essentially give them free reign in the city.

We can't be afraid of progress. All we should be thinking about is how we can better this city, and any less may as well be pointing our respective arsenals at its citizens and holding down the triggers.

All that said, with Magtok gone and the vote already dealt with, I believe that's all we had on our agenda for this meeting. Unless someone has decided to change their vote on account of his inconsistent accusations..."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links: