New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Tobias is still sitting quietly and listening intently. He doesn't appear to have anything to say.
    He thinks he understands why the Remnant wants AMEN on the council, though. They beat off AMEN in that battle and they want everyone to think they could keep fighting off every attack... and they probably could, but not without losing the whole city. The city can only be rebuilt and remain peaceful if it is not attacked, hence giving AMEN a little bit of what they want. The other organizations should be more than enough to balance AMEN's power.

Vasquez needs to keep up her tough guy appearance if she doesn't want anyone to sniff out weakness and attack. But this kind of arrogance and willingness to openly insult others is what made the Exalted so damn hard to deal with. Pride has no place in diplomacy, the Druid thinks as he smiles amicably at Gordon.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

2. - Top - End - #62
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

[Meanwhile, outside]

Anyu is leaning on the wall outside the building, next to the entrance. Haruki, meanwhile, is........leaning on the wall on the other side of the entrance. Anyu is whistling nonchallantly, while Haruki is simply leaning with his arms crossed.

"So...." says the Angel. "What brings you here?"

"Eh, you know the drill," replies Anyu. "Gordon's in there, pretending to care about everyone, I sort of came with him, but he doesn't know, and now I'm just waiting outside. You?"

"Me? No, I just thought it would be fun to attend, but then I remembered I haven't been the leader of any Nexus faction in a long time. Kinda sucks, doesn't it?"

"Meh," says Anyu. "It's not like I really care. I'm not into that sort of administrative stuff."

"Me neither, but you get invited to cool parties and councils. So how's AMEN these days?"

"Eh, same old, same old. Gordon's still in charge, Maggy's.... still Maggy. And Rot's kind of annoying, but he's Rot. I tried to make a nice blood tasting party for him, but apparently it all tastes the same. How's... whatever you're doing these days?"

"Not really doing much. I'm a member of Watchtower, but I've come to the conclusion that I can't really be a member of a faction. I lose track of what they're doing."

"Me too, I barely leave my room!"

"Sucks."

They stand there quietly for a full minute.

"Uhm..... Anyu?" asks Haruki.

"Yes?"

"Do we know each other?"

Anyu turns to look at the Angel curiously. "I... don't think so. I think we've never met. We just happen to share a player."

"Oh." Another full minute goes by. "So... this entire conversation is..."

"Non-Canon, yeah."

"Oh, OK. Just checking."

"K."

3. - Top - End - #63

Zee for her part will...

Well...

Just listen for the time being, really.

The direction the conversation is taking is quite interesting.

And it would appear toes are being stepped on.

Though...

At the mention of KNAVES her expression darkens. Apparently that's something of a sore subject for her. One can imagine why, honestly. And it's on this subject that she speaks up again.

"Is this true? Was the Empire in favorable contact with the remainder of KNAVES? Is the Remnant still on friendly terms with them?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez gives a polite nod to Grace before shaking her head at the outburst at her "insults". "You have no need to preach me on histories I already know of Magtok, or of matters I had no hand in, and if I did, would have likely opposed. Even so, you cannot say you haven't done nearly as much wrong as right. You hear my words, but misunderstand their meaning. What I am saying, is that if thought about, all of you could have just as much reason for being sent away as AMEN would be."

She raises an eyebrow at the mention of KNAVES, both from "Zee" and Magtok. "And just who would they be?" She asks, honestly never hearing the name before now. Even before Remnant, there'd have been few mentions of it, let alone records. And even if so, it's something Vasquez has never heard about.

5. - Top - End - #65

Yay, Zee in quotes!

That's still her name. Just her human name. But she isn't wearing that mask right now so the name doesn't technically apply. Though she would probably still respond to it.

At Vasquez's question K'rax-Naggath somehow manages to take a deep breath and sigh at the same time. "One of the unfortunate side-effects of how time works here... KNAVES is an organization nearly as old as AMEN itself. They operated under the pretense of punishing citizens who did not bother to vote in the City's elections. Their methods were... less than savory. Eventually they attempted to take control of the city. Many lives were lost and much suffering was had at the hands of KNAVES."

"Eventually the leader of KNAVES was banished and most of the organization disintegrated. However several of the agents are still active in this City. None of which are at all pleasant. They are murderers and sociopaths, a danger to everyone and everything around them. To my knowledge only the beings that call themselves Edict and Affidavit remain."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Affidant, why does that name sound familar?"

Gordon thinks for a bit.

"Oh, that's right. He came to AMEN once. He claimed to want to join up, but later tried to attack the members. Definately not someone who I like."

7. - Top - End - #67

"I notice the subject is going away from the forming of the council itself..." Cessie remarks as the discussion about KNAVES is starting up. Something she didn't know anything about.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

The Moff clears his throat and gives Vasquez a pointed look: the speed at which she lost control of the meeting is impressive.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn, meanwhile, has her hands in her lap. She might still be knitting. As she listens intently to the goings-on.

At the mention of Edict though...

"You know...I remember hearing of 'Provost Edict' before. From when I was a little girl. The stories were of the sort that parents tell their children to scare them into being good."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Silly Moff. Can't he see that Vasquez is in deadtime wants to let everyone have their say, however off topic?

Delisle speaks up. "The Empire had dealings with Affidavit. The Remnant does not, and will not. His recent attacks on civilians have put an end to any relationship that existed. As for KNAVES and Provost Edict, we have no information other than what we're receiving in this room. It will be up to the Council to make decisions about whether to bring criminals to justice for deeds done in the past. Our job is to defend the city against current threats."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #71

Magtok grins in quite a predatory manner as he verbally pounces on Vasquez's ignorance, expanding a little on what Zee said.

The KNAVES are an old fascist terror organization from the Town era, dedicated to punishing each and every imaginable offense with torture, followed by death. Massive problem for people back in the day, folks used to get nabbed right off the streets and were then never seen from again.

I recently appealed to Noir, asking him for permission to hunt down ex-KNAVE Affidavit, after he assaulted my MagCave, threatened Sunny's workshop, and picked a fight with Zee. He said yes, and told me of this hangar they allowed Affy to have, which I promptly assaulted, just before Noir vanished away. Another clone is at some other KNAVE base now, having ran into some folks chasing after another former KNAVE because of Butler's most recent death at the guy's hands.

Oh, and they used to own this giant flying castle with a giant cannon on it, maybe that little factoid will jog your memory. I can't quite recall, but I do believe I saw its cannon firing upon folks during the siege on your HQ and going after Gordon for you. I wanted to ask about that, but just didn't have the time, sadly. We can talk about that later though, since we've got something more important to sort out first.

He wraps his hands together, sits farther back in his chair, and bites his lip.

Anyways, I kinda got off-subject. My point is, I want to be treated with the same respect and cordiality as the rest of this congregation. I've done more than my fair share to support the Empire, and tired of being treated like a second-class citizen. Do me at least that much, grant me just that, and I won't have even a scrap of motive left to continue doing whatever it is you're accusing me of doing under tables and behind closed doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #72

"So how exactly is this council going to work? Everyone get's one one in every matter? Who deals with the more trivial things? There are a whole lot of questions marks about how this is going to work really before anyone really could accept it." Cessie says.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez listens to the information carefully before tapping a bit on a wrist keyboard that slides out of her new armor, logging the information personally to make sure it's added in. "Unfortunately, The Empire had such dealings with Affidavit. But none with Edict as far as I have known, or been able to dig up. That said, Lt. Adele is right. Affidavit will no longer be allowed within these city walls. As for the flying castle firing upon Gordon's Army, we had talked to a woman who seems unassociated with either Affidavit or this "Edict". Even so, measures are now going into place to make sure they have no control over her."

She gives Magtok a respectful nod. "I didn't mean to accuse you of any crimes, for all intents and purposes, the people within the Council will have a clean slate inside this room. From my point of view at least, though I'm hoping you all will share it. I'm sure we've all had underhanded dealings of some sort or other before. Including myself. I'm willing to admit I've wronged as many people as some of you, if not more. As for personal offenses to you in the past..." She shakes her head. "I will not apologize, nor expect any apologies from you if any of you deem it necessary as for now, they'll do no good, and I had my reasons at the time to do such things, as you all had."

"That said, personal issues will be decided outside this building. Actual fights within it, will result in immediate forfeiture of your seat, possibly dismissing the Organization as well. Same goes for intentionally trying to start one. Other than that, you cannot vote other members out, unless they or their organization has done something outside of this room that negatively impacts Inside on at a severe degree. In which case, this Council shall be used as something similar to a tribunal."

Ever since the meeting has started, Vasquez has remained calm and kept a polite tone, even when "insulting" them.

As an afterthought, she looks back at Magtok. "As for Affidavit, you may deal with him however you wish, I won't interfere unless it gets too out of hand."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig shrugs. That's all fine be me. Watching Gordon and the rest of the AMENites trying to act like mature individuals and obey those rules will be amusing. Dipsnig expects them to trip up and start making a mess withing a month. I could care less for all this KNAVES business. Never met them, never had to deal with them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez gets a message on her commlink and flips a switch on her control panel. "I believe this will interest you all." She says as the metal blinds begin to slowly rise, revealing Remnant's Ascent.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2011-04-18 at 01:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Maggy bites his lip, clenches a fist under the table, and reaches into his robes for a small walkie-talkie as things lift off into the air.

Construction Drone M-413? Yes, it's me. We're post-poning Skyside's launch another week or so. Why? Take a look at the goddamned Imp HQ, that's why.

Ugh, so rude. Shouldn't you know better than to be making personal calls in the middle of earth-shaking moments of history, Magtok? At least it only took a second, though. He puts the thing away immediately with a sigh, and does his best to put on a smile and pretend that didn't just happen.

That's quite lovely, Vas. I'm sure your engineers, Sunny especially, are quite proud of it.

Magtok doesn't say that it wouldn't have been possible without his old intern, but it's certainly implied.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig whistles. Well, damn. I've seen a lot here, but that's still impressive. If in his opinion rather excessive. Still, it does get the message across, and most people in the Nexus don't really respond well to subtlety.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn whistles as the scene of HQ lifting off is revealed.

"Impressive. Very impressive...hopefully nobody will shoot it down, though," she observes.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Frankly, Poise looks uninterested in the flying headquarters. But this is probably because she was made strictly for business, and apparently the military matters aren't something the council has anything to do with.
    Grace herself would likely be a bit more diplomatic.
    "So, we have established guidelines, and our relative position within your hierarchy. I would like to ask, however, how the council will be enforcing their authority. The empire ruled through might and military, but if we are separate from the military, we can't rely on that, even if we wanted to.
    "Further, it isn't like we've been elected by the people, so we can't count on them wanting us to be here since we're not really representing them in that way... frankly, our only authority right now is that you appointed us, and I'm not quite sure how persuasive people will find that. So, is there something in mind for that?"
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-18 at 03:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

While the flying headquarters are quite impressive, the show Vasquez makes of it doesn't go very well with the mage.
    "Quite the show." She says briefly, mostly to be polite.

"I'm sure it will be able to defend the city a lot better now." At least that was good.

"Grace rises a good question however, how exactly will the common man be involved in this? Surely there will be some kind of representative from the people?" At least Cessie thought she was grace, maybe it was her sister?
    "It's they we are doing this for after all, they deserve insight as well as a voice within this chamber."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

At Poise's speech, Psi's eyes light up. "Analizing. Searching for procedural resemblance. Confirmed.

The current position of those chosen by subject 'Vasquez' within a council as selected members of high ranking has a close resemblance to a cabinet. This would imply the Council itself is the new government's Cabinet.

Confirmation required."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

The Moff smiles hugely at Vasquez's display. Why? Who knows?

The Moff does. But he's not telling.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle speaks up. "If I may interject:

The Council has two objects in view, which ought to be kept distinct.

The first object is to secure the city at once and reestablish law and order.

The second is to improve the city by legal reforms.

The first task needs to be accomplished as soon as possible. Society is unquiet. Trade is languishing. Aliens are still attacking citizens within the city borders. Meanwhile, citizens have no idea who is in charge, and fear that the city is going to split into factions ruled by strongmen and degenerate into chaos.

While this is going on, it is foolish to speak of what reforms to the government are necessary. Right now, the people need to know that there is a government. Once stability is re-established, the council can take onto itself whatever reforms it thinks necessary.

It is my opinion that this council should issue a manifesto, declaring itself the new government of Inside, with the Renmant's military backing. Promise to ensure the rights of every citizen and that order will be restored as soon as possible. Say..." Alice saves a hand in the air. ".... You know, diplomatic type things to rebuild confidence. This is what you were brought here for. This is the skill we lack, and that we know that we lack. We aren't meant to rule. We're meant to protect rulers and citizens both."

She leans forward over the table, looking earnest. "Help us. Please."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Right, and my diplomatic tendencies say people need a reason to regard us as a real government. Empire was built on force, and that's really not a good thing. It makes people want to rebel. And what's more, even if Remnant is not the same as the Empire, it's built on the same base, so people are going to view it as a continuation rather than a new entity.
    "So, as of the moment, this Council is based on the same authority as the Empire was, but without the military force to back it up. Therefore, not only will a lot of people want to rebel, but they'll be able to rebel."

Poise points out.
    "So, in order to accomplish anything, our first objective needs to be establishing a true authority. We need approval, we need people to WANT us rather than have us forced on them, and we need some way to be able to ensure that those who are... less enthused (because the first thing you learn about diplomacy is that you can never satisfy everyone) will have a reason to follow along, if only because of peer pressure.
    "Of course, many methods of gathering approval from the people may mean that the Remnant will have to withdraw a great deal of control from the Council. It may mean not being able to appoint leaders, as has been attempted here, and it may mean not having final say in what it does."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-18 at 07:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

"So you want to leave the city in turmoil while this council debates the best form of government? I think that is unwise. Take charge first, then issue reforms. Make sure that people can walk safely in the streets before setting up free elections. Liberty is important, but liberty is meaningless without personal safety." Delisle insists.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #86

"Well spoken, young lady. Safety is what needs to come first to this city. So, let's get this council set up, and then we can get started on the issues."

Gordon smiles at Delisle, while he absent-mindly draws a circle on the table with his finger. (Not literaly drawing, just doing something with his hand.)

27. - Top - End - #87

Cessie sigh, "Just to make things clear, I'm willing to form the council. It would be nice however to hear what the people of inside have to say first. That's all I ask. They are the ones I want to help by forming this after all."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright then. I agree, it would be nice to have something made soon, though we want to have room to tweak later."
    Poise leans forward and looks around the table.
    "Like I said, what we really need is support. And not just troops backing us, but public opinion and lots of large influences.
    "For starters, why don't we get the organizations to outspokenly support us? Lets phrase it as say... a collaboration of common interests, supported to give Inside a direction towards public advancement. Those within and associated with organizations make up a very large portion of Inside, and given that almost all of us have some ties to them, it shouldn't be so hard to get their approval.
    "We'll call it what it is for now- a collection of well positioned people from diverse backgrounds and varying personal philosophies. Not publicly elected, but all with an interest in a better future for Inside. We could define our goals as attempting to realize public interests, and give Inside the voice it wants- possibly incorporating new members into the council if need be, or even retiring others, which will give us some republic elements that we can evaluate for effectiveness as we move on."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-18 at 07:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle nods at Poise. "Good. That's exactly the kind of perspective we need." And she types away, taking notes, as she waits for more people to chime in.

Her main goal was to get everyone focused on the task at hand. Now that that's done, it's up to the Council to actually carry it out. Even if they end up carrying it out in a way that the Remnant wouldn't have chosen, that's not the point. Civilians, as annoying as they can be at times, should be the ones in charge. Delisle had read enough history to know that society just works better that way.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

30. - Top - End - #90

"Fair enough. I agree with Grace, I don't really she why anyone couldn't after that speech. This have watch's support if I may speak for them. We are ready to work for a better future of inside if you are." Cessie speaks.

"So, let's say we write under something? Just for symbolic in the act." She raises from her seat and looks around in the room for the others agreement.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-04-18 at 07:51 PM.