New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Zee nods slowly after listen for a while.

"I will add my support to this endeavor. Provided we assure the people that elections will be held for council members as soon as possible I suspect that there will be little unrest resulting from such an announcement."

She leans forward, steepling her fingers once more.

"We have here members of the important organizations as well as influential members of the Nexus. A unanimous vote of support would be a powerful step forward. It is my hope that this whole process will be resolved as painlessly and as peacefully as possible."

And then a sigh.

"As for matters already mentioned... The invaders that have been plaguing the Nexus. They have proven to be both resilient and adaptable. Stamping them out completely has thus far proven challenging even with the aid of their enemies. Further forces need to be mustered against them."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

"Magtok. You're awfully quiet. That's unlike you," Delisle says. "Despite your potential involvement in the recent attack, you've been a somewhat stabilizing force within the city. We'd like that to continue." She pauses. "Honestly, we need you to be a part of this. It won't work without you."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #93

Tobias listens curiously to the discussion on KNAVES. An Evil organization, worse than AMEN, working in... the city of Inside or some other City? It sounded like it was before his time, but he's surprised he hasn't heard of it before.

The Commander of HALO watches the liftoff of Remnant's base in surprise. Well... That was an interesting move. Bold, but he wonders if the citizens, perhaps, will get the impression that Remnant is abandoning the city to save their own skins.

And then everyone else goes back to talking about the more boring, political stuff. As if the citizens of Inside cared an iota about HALO, much less wanted to be governed by it. Tobias' group could do a lot more good for the city by starting to defend it, not rule it. Although they might be needed to keep Gordon playing nice... Tobias decides he should talk with Vasquez after the meeting to see if Remnant would accept aid from HALO. Hey, who was that military woman? Obviously part of Remnant, but she doesn't have the look of a battle-hardened soldier. Too diplomatic right now to be an REMF... A staff aide? Whomever she was, Vasquez probably brought her in to play chairwoman for the Council. Any concessions from Remnant would come from her, leaving Vasquez free to play the implacable rock, untainted from such weakness as asking for help.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Are you sure about the open support from all of the organizations? The truth is, since I'm having a little disciple problem lately, the citizens might become alarmed with the knowledge that AMEN is on this council."

Gordon does have a point, the newspapers did say that AMEN was thought of as a very big threat.

"However, I will also like to point out that removing me from this council for most reasons would mean the return of my group work at replacing the ruling body of this city, so don't get the idea of making this simpler by kicking me out of here."

5. - Top - End - #95

Magtok narrows his eyes at Delisle, a tad peeved to see his own silence called out turned against him. He pauses a moment to let that glare linger, before sighing and responding.

Have you seen Watchmen? Graphic novel or the movie, doesn't matter. If not, you should. Alan Moore's a pretty decent writer, and Killing Joke was pretty neat, too. The rest of his stuff is kinda lame, though. V for Vendetta was needlessly ugly, and I think the film made a wise choice went it cut out most of the darker stuff and moral ambiguity and-

Magtok pauses, trying to remember where he was going with this.

Oh right! I was going to quote Watchmen. The big blue superman in it asks "Don't you see the futility of asking me to save a world that I no longer have any stake in?" I wish I didn't have to be so harsh, or act like I egotistically think this conference should be all about me, but I feel it's rather fitting here. Allow me to explain why.

He smiles, waves a hand, and a small hologram should appear on the table, a tiny little airship floating about that should look awfully familiar to anyone who remembers the early days of the Empire. Next to it appears the mountain the MagCave was built into, which is promptly annihilated by a stream of lasers and rockets from the airship. Other appropriate diagrams follow as he goes on.

I don't know if you were paying attention in your Classified Military History Class, so allow me to give you a brief refresher course I've been getting extorted and hit with implied threats since Vyrn's era, afraid to step so much as a toe out of line where your sort could see me do so, for fearing of being utterly obliterated by an airship armada. I bet on the wrong horse in the war for control of Inside, and Imps have been making me regret it for years.

That's not exaggeration, darling; you can go ahead and check your records on how the original (and currently invalid) MagSat codes were obtained if you think I'm wrong. Everyone knows MagMart has twelve times more security than any store in the entire Blue Zone, and that's not just a coincidence, either. MagSat records (which you don't have) clearly show, when the apocalypses come flooding in to Inside, Imperial boots stay the hell away from my helpless store and customers. Just unlucky coincidence, perhaps? Other regions in greater need than my own? Both very good excuses, but sadly they're both entirely untrue. I was hit as hard as anyone by the catpeople and undead, and everyone knows it. Innocent people's live might've been saved, if I just had a few more Magbots manufactured in time, or if the Empire spared a single squad on me. The lovely young lady who I've since asked to marry me was there during the catpeople invasion, and could've died defending it, no thanks to past Imperial leadership.

It hasn't all be bad, though. Just a few weeks ago though, I was on the verge of finally winning enough trust to get a military contract with the Empire, after the proper emergency finally came along thanks to Affy and the AMEN attack on GLoG, and it gave me a chance to win some points with Noir. Military contracts, I suppose I should mention, are a thing that engineers with a fraction of my talent have been able to get just by walking in the front door and asking for it. I had sold out Riv, volunteered myself to deal with Affy, and finally scored the general's approval. The blueprints were in the lab, I just had to build the thing and run a few more tests.

He sighs, thinking back to those telephone conversations with Noir. He was so close...

Then...POOF! Now he's as good as dead, I'm back to being called a terrorist, and you're waving your stupid hoverbase around like that obnoxious rich kid from elementary school who had all the coolest toys and no qualms about rubbing it in everyone's face. As far as I can see right now, I stand to gain nothing from involving myself in this. You all talk of protecting the people, of reassuring them that there's someone benevolent and strong to defend and lead and rule. How the hell am I supposed to tell people to trust their government when I can't trust them myself?

If you want me to be a part of this, some things have to change. That's an ultimatum, in case I'm not making myself clear. I need more than just empty promises and pinky swears that the same old bureaucratic nightmare won't rise up and stomp the hell out of me. If, gods forbid, I can't get at least that much, you won't have Magtok to push around anymore, ladies and gentlemen, because I'm ditching this little clubhouse and making my own government. There may or may not be blackjack and hookers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #96
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

"Logging. Possibility of card games for the sake of gambling and prostitutes now estimated at an even 50%."

Psi looks thoughtful.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle gets to her feet.

"The Empire is no more.

Let that be understood, here and now. It. Is. Gone. Whatever deeds were did, for good or bad, are in the past. Whether those who committed those deeds will ever be in a position to answer for them is not something we can know at this time.

We, in this room, are what is left to run this city. The military forces that are left will answer to Vasquez, and there is nothing at all stopping her from taking over the city and answering to no one, just as the generals in the past have done.

That is not what is happening here.

Every person here, bodyguards excepted, has earned their place at this table. Iggy and Sunny and Grimzig do not have places at this table because they are engineers. You are here because we need leadership.

Now, the notes that you all were given stated that you would be fairly compensated for your time. That's because this is a job, not a sinecure, not an honorary key to the city. This will be work. You aren't being contracted to build machines. You're being contracted to build the machinery of a new city. It's up to you to tell us what you need to do that job, and what you think is fair compensation for that job, and it will be up to us to do the best we can to provide it until the government is up and running and we can leave you to it."

Alice sits back down and looks around the table, trying to meet each person's eyes.

"Of course, conscripts make fine cannon fodder, but poor leaders. No one is being forced to stay, and any of you can choose to leave at any time. But we hope you won't. The city needs you."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez grits her teeth. "Magtok, you've always had my respect. I have never insulted you, and you still misunderstand my words, even though I've already apologized." She tells him with a shake of her head.

"I am not some half-wit. Yes, I'm a soldier, not a politician, but I'm not enough of a fool to believe any deal made between you and the dead Empire, still holds. However, I am prepared to make you some offers, but if this is all the thanks I get for never shooting you when I've had all the reason to, then I won't."

She turns a lighter gaze on everyone in the room. "I respect all of you for coming here and listening to me, but respect me in return by remembering a few simple things. I am not Vyrn, Noir, or the thrice-damned Empire. I am not thick-skulled enough to fail to realize that change is necessary on Remnant's part. That is part of why I asked you here, so you all know things will be changing, and how."

She turns towards Moff, her look hostile once more. "And Moff, if all you're going to do is smirk like a bastard, either stop, or leave unless you have something constructive to say. Bodyguard or not, I'm still your host and if it continues, you will be forced to leave."
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2011-04-19 at 12:51 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The Moff hardly looks pleased to be called out: he (and his player, for the record) thinks "smirk like a bastard" is a rather huge overstatement, but there's not much mileage to be had in disputing Vasquez's... choice in words. "I apologize, Commander."

10. - Top - End - #100

Gordon rolls his eyes. Like telling the Moff something is really going to change his behavior. As for the treatment of Magtok, its stupid. You have to respect the cyborg, and acting like he was a fool is a ticket for your own defeat. Vasquez is going to end up breaking this council up before it could begin at this rate.

11. - Top - End - #101

Wow.

Tempers are really heating up!

Zee sighs. Then blinks. Then shakes her head. When she speaks again the Spooooooky voice has apparently taken a hike.

"This is silly. We're supposed to be here to figure out how to work together for the good of the Nexus, right? And we're bickering about all sorts of silly things! Who cares what those jerks from Dee See's universe did! We're not them. None of them are even around anymore. And I think it's in everyone's best interest here to make this work."

She glances around the table at those gathered.

"If you need a spokes person I can do it. People trust me because I've spent years building a reputation of being trustworthy. I'm sure that if I throw my non-existent hat in with you guys it'll carry a lot of weight,"
    she turns her attention to the commander. "Just don't let me down on your end of things, okay?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, Zee," Delisle says, gratefully. It was time to try and get everyone working together.

She looks around the table, her voice respectful and trying to sooth ruffled feathers. "I hope everyone here will choose to be part of this process. We need all of you. But, those who would like to resign their place, please do so now. We have work to do."

((Players, please read here and here in OOC thread. ))
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2011-04-19 at 01:06 AM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn, taking in Magtok's statement, arches an eyebrow at the cyborg's speech.
    Then smiles at him.
    It's...not the kind of smile that should make the cyborg comfortable.

She then looks to Lt. Delisle, and nods. "I'm certainly going to be staying here, ma'am. I might delegate my position, but GLoG will certainly be willing to work with you in all respects."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

14. - Top - End - #104

"As I told you before, this council have watch's support. I trust I don't have to repeat myself do I?" Cessie says, Magtok already seeming like quite the troublemaker in her eyes. Not that he was wrong about asking for protection of course, but hookers and blackjack? She really didn't want anything to do with that.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig rolls his eyes when Magtok makes his speech. So many words, so little substance. And as always, not a single thought given to anyone or anything but himself. The council has my support as well and with this, the support of the entire NO, for what it's worth. And given NO's general irrelevance, it's not worth much. It might not be an ideal solution and a perfect setup, but it's all we have. Unless we wish to hole ourselves up in our bases, fortresses and caves while half of the Nexus burns.
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-04-19 at 04:49 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Poise sighs at the argument. This really isn't working so well.
    "I appreciate that Remnant is trying to start afresh. But you have to understand, no one will ever see it that way with things the way they are now. The leaders of the Empire have been destroyed, yes. Many of their resources are gone, yes. But in the end, what resources you have are the Empire's- and Mortal Coil (and thus, by extension, Vasquez) were always a sort of symbol for the Empire.
    "Even if you rename yourselves the Remnants- people are just going to hear 'Remnants of the Empire' until you truly begin making changes and showing that you're different. And just screaming at everyone who thinks otherwise isn't really a change, unfortunately. The Empire was always difficult to deal with, and as much as you might hate what Magtok is saying, it is incredibly indicative of what the Empire was like... and thus what people will be expecting from you, whether that is accurate or not."

Poise stands, putting her hands behind her back as she paces over to Vasquez and Delisle.

"Change is what you want, and change is possible- but I want to be very, very clear about this."
    Her eyes seem to swirl, slowly forming into Grace's usual pink coloring.
    "You will never see a change of opinion, never achieve your goal, if you aren't willing to take a few blows. After learning that they will never satisfy everyone, the first thing a diplomat should know is that they will sometimes have to take blame for something they didn't do, or be hurt by something that has nothing to do with them. It's not an easy lesson, nor a fair one- but you can't progress without it.
    "I don't want you to discard you desire to be something other than the Empire. I think everyone can agree that we'll be better off with that change. But I want you to understand that even if it is true that you're not the Empire, even if you're justified in berating people for making that comparison... you can't make progress that way, because the vast majority of people will never see from that perspective. In time, people might come to accept it, but only if you win them to your side first."

Grace takes a deep breath.
    "Vasquez, I want to help you. But you need to work with us, not try and control us. Listen to us, compromise with us, and try and stay calm and diplomatic."
    She gently reaches out to place a hand on Vasquez's shoulder.
    "Please. Relax."

She looks around the council room.
    "I think things have become more heated than they should be. Why don't we all take about fifteen minutes for a short break?"
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-19 at 10:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well. There are refreshments in the next room, as well as some individual conference rooms where people can have private conversations, if they like,"
    Delisle says.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig sighs and slides off his chair. The meeting isn't going very well. Everyone is too stubborn for their own good. The way he sees it, Magtok should be kicked out and left to stew in his little cave. Then everyone else can proceed to get things done.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Delisle moves around, pouring (non-alcoholic) drinks for people, and making herself available for private conversations if needed.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Poise's eyes seem to slide back to normal, and she searches for... tea!
    Gasp!
    Grace would be ashamed of her. What about coffee, Poise? WHAT ABOUT THE COFFEE?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

There is black tea, green tea, fungus tea, coffee, fruit juice, and water.

There is also a nice little tray of cookies of various flavors, including almond.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Sipping on fungus tea, Dipsnig walks over to Poise, Viima padding behind him. This meeting could have gone worse, I guess.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure. Gordon or Magtok could have started a fight to become a dictator of Inside, I suppose."
    Poise says in a way of cynical agreement.
    "Then everything would be on fire."
    She gets a little cup of green tea and sips on it.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig smirks. Yes. Personally, I don't know what all the fuss is about. But then, I'm used to work with what I have. Magtok, Gordon and apparently also Vasquez... they don't give up until they have everything their way. Then again, Gordon is being exceptionally calm and mature about all this.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, if he's smart he realizes everyone has their eye on him, and he'll get more from being diplomatic. Alternately, he's just trying to play us all."
    Poise extends a hand.
    "I don't think we've formally met before. I'm Poise, an aspect of Grace."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig shakes her hand.
    Dipsnig Razortooth, the leader of NO, for my sins. What do you mean by "aspect"?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

"It's... sort of complicated."
    Poise says.
    "In a way, I am a piece of Grace, but I am also quite a whole person in my own right. Splitting off aspects is something higher level Celestial Dynamic employees can do, with the appropriate resources and mental capabilities.
    "If it helps, just think of me as Grace's subordinate."

28. - Top - End - #118

Magtok hurriedly slinks out of the council conference room, finding a wall to lean against, away from the others where he can brood in peace. It wouldn't be that hard to slink away and go home unnoticed when everyone heads back inside after the break, would it? I'd certainly be a lot more civil to leave that way.

With the way things are going, he might just be better off out of here, and in his usual position as a neutral party in everything. Skyside could make a lovely counter to the implied thread of the Mobile HQ, and he's always done a good job keeping the exact nature and details of his MagCave's firepower a secret.

Maggy's not a darned altruist, he doesn't do anything without thinking about himself first, and being just once voice amongst eight or so just doesn't appeal to him in the slightest. He got where he is now by being an unpredictable wild card, not sitting at a table with his hand out where anyone can see it. Compliance could very easily be the death of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

29. - Top - End - #119

Cessie is just drinking water. It's plain and won't effect your body in any way.

Right now she's peering at the council members she haven't seen before such as Quinn, Dipsnig, Gordon, Tobias and Vasquez.

"Erhm, excuse me? I would just like to introduce myself as many of you don't know me yet. My name is Cessie Mithar, watch's towers current representative." She introduces herself to the others.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'll think of it this way, yes... Dipsnig then turns to Cessie. Dipsnig Razortooth, leader of NO. He bows slightly.