New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Council

1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Council

Vasquez is already in the meeting room, finishing a mug of coffee and looking over a report on a small handheld, which she puts away when the others come back. She doesn't say anything, simply waiting for the moment.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zee has spent the entire time devouring cookies off the cookie tray.

When you're an eldritch monster who's vastness stretches the limits of comprehension you can often eat a lot more than some might expect. Especially when you look like a totally normal human female at the time.

Om nom nom!

Zee watches the various people as they file back into the room. Leaves her wondering what will happen.

And whether or not Magtok will be coming back.

She certainly has a hunch regarding that...

Will just have to wait and see!

Her attention next turns to the cookie platter. She glares at the empty tray as if it had just insulted her mother.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quinn, presumably having engaged in some small talk with the Lieuteanant, nods to Tobias when he glances in her direction. And, now, returns to her seat with the others.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Poise reclaims her seat, draws a notepad and a pen from her pocket, and waits for the remainder of the people to gather, or perhaps for Delisle or Vasquez to say something. If they don't look inclined to say anything, she might restart the meeting herself, however.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

"Gordon, if you can turn this into a win for AMEN, I'm right behind you. But no plan, no matter how well thought out, holds up forever, and we need to be ready. Just keep that in mind, alright?" The Moff raises his eyebrows at Gordon, hoping the man will manage to see past his ego. With that, he returns to the conference room.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez looks over them all. "I imagine this is the time to stop before going further with this. Right now, we need to decide who is staying, and how is withdrawing. As said before, you will be fairly compensated for your time. For those who leave, stop by the guard station to receive payment. After that, you won't be stopped."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Got it."

Gordon comes into the council room.

"I will be staying. If I wasn't staying, I wouldn't have shown up."

8. - Top - End - #158

"So how are we going to do this exactly?" Cessie asks in her seat. "I like the idea of the council and I very much like to partake, but what's your position going to be within it Vasquez?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"I have a proposal in mind."
    Poise says to Cessie before looking around to the rest of the group.
    "And since it seems like no one is going to leave, I think I'll go ahead and share it."

She sketches quickly on her notepad as she speaks, drawing up a bit of a diagram as well as a rough overview of her plan.
    "It has already been repeatedly noted that different organizations and people here have far different skills, resources, and preferences in solving problems, and I feel the best route is to acknowledge that. Yet, we also want to the council to be about cooperation, and it would be best if we did not have to maintain a precise number of individuals. Further, given Nexus's chaotic and unpredictable nature, it would also be wise to ensure that no one had sole control over certain powers and responsibilities, giving us some redundancy to fall back on in times of need. With that also in mind, each member on the council should have their own set of resources and powers to fall back on. Even if they cooperate with another member, they should be able to perform their duty on their own.
    "Therefore, I propose we create a few basic divisions within the council, to recognize our specialties and give each person a little explicit direction to focus in. I have three divisions in mind, but I'm quite willing to see them reviewed and changed."

Poise flips out her pen, and draws a piece of a circle in the air in glittering red ink for each section of the government she mentions.
    "The Military division, to defend and protect, and of course, to react to any problematic forces that arise within. I believe Vasquez's forces, as well as WATCHTOWER, would be well suited to this.
    "The Public Outreach division. This would be for assessing the needs and desires of the community, and attempting to carry them out. PR and civil works, basically. I imagine Zee and Aurora and would be suited towards this.
    "Intelligence division. It would handle investigations, management and general gathering of intelligence. It would also likely deal with internal affairs, attempting to ensure a lack of corruption, and perhaps handle some of the judicial aspects of government that aren't suitable for the council as a whole to handle. This, I believe would be a prime place for Magtok, with his satellites and vast network of connections."

"I want to note that I don't want to limit what anyone on the council can do with these divisions. Just because you're not in the military division does not mean you can't assist or act in that way, for example. But, that would be the primary focus of people in that group, giving them a clear direction to head in. It also just acknowledges what resources we have."

She looks over to Vasquez.
    "Putting my full view into action would require placing you on even footing with the rest of the council. The Remnants would obviously still be yours to command, but you would not have more power than any other member of the council, to help ensure a balance of power."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-20 at 07:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmmm. As good a system as any other, I suppose. As long as the responsibilities are equally spread.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

"GLoG is certainly here to stay," Quinn says to Vasquez, before frowning a little and listening to Poise's proposal. "It has...promise. But at the same time difficulty. "

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig shrugs. Every option we take will have difficulty. And this proposal sounds like a good enough compromise.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #163

"I think Gra- Poise suggestion is reasonable as it's very much what I have been suggesting. But before we can go any further I like to know what Vasquez have to say about it." The mage turns towards the general.

14. - Top - End - #164

Tobias clears his throat. What about HALO, AMEN, NO, and GLoG? If you are going to divide responsibilities, you should make sure everyone gets a fair share. Otherwise you might imply that some members of the council are more important than others.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"I know less about their preferences and capabilities."
    Poise clarifies.
    "I was only giving examples with those I named. The overall structure is what is important, not the precise groups within them."
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2011-04-20 at 01:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

"We are good at healing," Quinn says softly. "And also simply helping when people need to be helped."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

"GLoG has done quite a bit in the way of healing and refugee assistance, but we are less familiar with HALO's capabilities." Delisle says.

((Also, Wolfy is afk for a few hours, so let's not wait for Vasquez's input.))
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #168

Ah, that makes sense. Tobias nods to Poise. Well, then the structure seems fine to me. HALO would be best in the Military division, due to our great deal of power and our charter to fight against those who would hurt civilians. I suggest NO be in charge of the Intelligence division. He looks over at Dipsnig. They have experience with judicial affairs and have a great many contacts of their own, if I am not mistaken...
    Last edited by FireFox; 2011-04-20 at 01:10 PM.
    “Me quoque per multos similis fortuna labores
    iactatam hac demum voluit consistere terra.
    Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco.”

– Publius Vergilius Maro, The Aeneid

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds reasonable. It is true that our jobs involve poking our noses everywhere, on the rare occasions we get them. A lot of our members are spies, too. I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the tunnel network we have under the majority of the Nexus.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Vasquez is silent as she ponders over the idea, but after a while, she gives a nod to Poise. "I will agree to step down on a couple of small conditions." She gives a glance around the room. "Since I assume everyone is staying, I'll go ahead and elaborate. As I said at the start of the meeting, I'd been thinking of others to get onto the council. I think, what we're lacking, is a real moral compass. Someone who is unbiased at any of us. There are several religions Inside, and I was thinking I could possibly bring a member of one or two here to act as a guide for us. It wouldn't be the first time a government used members of a clergy as a consult."

"The other condition, is that no one tries to force me out of power of Remnant. Not because of anything I'd do, but because they won't listen to anyone who never rose through their ranks. We're a tight knit group with everything we've been through."

"That said, it might be a good idea if some of you started to try to intermingle with Remnant on a personal level. To build up trust in case something should happen to me, and in an emergency, have the ability to command. My suggestions would be Poise, Zee, Cessie, or Quinn as they are the most favorably viewed publicly. No one with a bad PR or their own form of army, no offense is meant to those who do." She looks at everyone again. "Are these conditions reasonable?"
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2011-04-20 at 03:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig taps his fang thoughfully. I've no problems with the last two clauses, but I don't really think the first one is necessary. If only because I don't really think you can find a religious leader that all of us would listen two. And unless I'm mistaken, Mrs. Druid over there is a religious leader of sorts herself. That, and religious leaders aren't necessarily unbiased. Dipsnig had no idea he has bad PR... but then, people never trust mercenaries so it's probably reasonable.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

"I believe this is reasonable, and I'd be happy to...intermingle, as you say. But there might be a complication. I'll need to discuss it with you privately, though, Commander," Quinn says after a moment's thought.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's more of people like Zee who aren't a member of this Council." Vasquez explains. "Two or three people, unbiased towards any of us, who can represent the interest of the masses themselves, and only the masses. They don't need to be particularly religious, but they should at least be known."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, fair enough. I can't think of anyone, though. I could probably talk a priest of Lord Below into coming, but that's not what you're looking for. There's also this temple to some god called Inari that I've heard about.

25. - Top - End - #175

"While I agree that the later parts seems reasonable. Could you clarify what type of people you are looking for exactly? Are they like moralistic advisors? If that is the case, then I understand. It sounds very much like my idea about a people representative within the council. However, I'm partly concerned about how to make sure these people remain unbiased. Or rather, biased towards the people of inside." Cessie inquires.

26. - Top - End - #176

Bluh.

Mag sighs, finds a seat, and mopes. In spite of all the bluster about leaving, he's got a terribly bad ego, and Poise's off-hand mentioning of him was just enough to tempt him to stick around. Gods know why he does this sort of thing to himself.

I'd suggest Saint Nil, but he's away far too often to be of any reliability in this. Inari sounds good, but they're a bit...decrepit, to put it gently. They're not really that pro-active, either. Lots of folks thought of them as little more than as a convenient resurrection center, back in those KNAVES days mentioned earlier.

Magtok bites his lip, almost certain his next suggestion is going to get him laughed right out of the council and onto the street.

Maybe...Butler? I know it sounds obscenely stupid and all, you don't need to tell me that, just gimme a moment. He's not clever enough to be anything other than moral, and that's fairly common knowledge. He is pretty much made out of niceness, without a single vice to speak of. The only downside is you'd probably need someone to more-or-less babysit him, to ensure he isn't tricked and manipulated against the government in some manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #177

"Interesting. Butler is unbiased, so he's not a bad idea. Plus, I'm pretty sure most people know about him."

And easy to enough to control, so that makes him an even better idea.

"And I have no problem with Vasquez staying in charge of Remnant."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Dipsnig rolls his eyes. I'm going to assume against reason that you're being serious, Magtok. In this case, Butler is a very bad idea. He's going to agree to everything anyone tells him and even if he doesn't, convincing him otherwise will be a child's play. He considered adding "even for Gordon" there, but decided to leave this sort of thing for later.

29. - Top - End - #179

"Wasn't the idea to have three unbiased parties? Butler would count as one, and the other two would help keep him out of trouble."

Gordon is paying attention, and that was the idea to have more than one person.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

"No."
    That's all Poise has to say to Magtok's proposal, before she moves on to her own suggestion.
    "Honestly, I think this is an unnecessary consideration, mainly because it is redundant. Zee fits that description best, but when you look at the premise more closely, it falls apart somewhat. Represents the people of Inside? We do represent the people of Inside. We have people from each organization and location of import, with a wide assortment of interests. All of us represent some interest broader than ourselves, even if we don't intend to. Further, look at the very premise of these organizations. WATCHTOWER- to protect the people from the greater dangers, no matter the source. GLoG, aiding the innocent and repentant. And Aurora is founded on the very principle of serving and aiding Nexus and the citizens of Inside. I'm not entirely sure how you can represent the people more fairly than that."