New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Where did the Crusader Handbook go?

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I wonder if "not having infinite swift actions and infinite uses of White Raven Tactics" counts as an adverse effect...
    Oh christ. Technically, not being able to IHS something counts as an adverse effect.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-04-19 at 05:05 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Where did the Crusader Handbook go?

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post

3.5 Classes without guides or with only incomplete guides:

Truenamer: Only a dumb joke-guide on BG and Zaq's journal of his experiences
    Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Truenamer is mostly unplayable at mid-high levels without an Item Familiar, and even then it's basically just a really nerfed Wizard. You don't see a guide for it for the same reason you don't see guides for the Warmage, Healer, or Wu Jen.
    Heh. Do you know why I stopped playing my Truenamer? It wasn't because he was ineffective. (He was, um, kind of effective. Sometimes.) It was because I realized that I didn't actually want more than one or two more Utterances, and that I couldn't really justify staying as a Truenamer. You know how the decision to give up spells/powers/maneuvers/binds/whatever of level X + 1 (where X is the level you currently have access to, so you're just so close to getting the new toys!) is usually a really hard one? I found that it was way, way too easy. I had all but exhausted what Truenamer had to offer. Aside from the couple of 4ths I already had, the 4th, 5th, and 6th level LEM Utterances just didn't hold any appeal for me. They're that bad. Truth be told, I strongly considered going into Warblade or Incarnate. (Instead I chose to retire the character, even though I revived him in a 4e campaign, when I found out about the Runepriest—or, as I like to call it, the Rune Aimer.)

It was less that I couldn't take it anymore, and more that it didn't have anything left for me to take.

I guess I could (if, you know, I had several extra hours per day and a compelling reason to spend them on this sort of thing) turn my Truenamer journal/musings into a proper handbook. I'd have an easier time of it than anyone else. The problem is that there's not enough to the class to really make a good handbook. There's not enough variation in what you can do (the difference between the decent and extra-crappy Utterances is usually pretty obvious, and it's not like there's a lot to choose from) to have it be something that would actually guide someone.

Besides, we don't want to encourage anyone to play 'em. I did it so you folks didn't have to.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~