New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Dominic just scried on what a dead person used to do with his time and Quilt thinks the bartender's the creepy one?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

I don't see a problem with a Frankenstein's Creature golem having lungs. It's supposed to be a human body built from spare parts and animated by magic. Lungs are part of a human body.

If you start to go in the "but it doesn't need to breathe" road, you're seeing golems as robotics. And then... Why make it human-shaped? You could give it four or eight arms, wings, tentacles, etc. to make it more powerful. You could put the head within the chest to protect it better. Also eyes in the back. And so on.

Heck, why use flesh at all? It's useless. See Jacob's skeleton arm: necromancers don't need flesh for their creations. Bones are enough. And why animate bones? They're brittle. Why not use some strong metal instead? And so on.

Quilt needs lungs because without them he'd be too different from a normal human body for the necromantic magic to animate. The big idea with Quilt was to build a perfect zombie by using parts from different people (instead of just using a single body) so that the creation would get the powers of several people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

But Quilt isn't even a zombie. He is a golem. And he doesn't have a brain or a skull, considering you can see through one of his ears to the next. So why would he need a lung?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't see a problem with a Frankenstein's Creature golem having lungs. It's supposed to be a human body built from spare parts and animated by magic. Lungs are part of a human body.
    So does he have blood as well? And how can he rip his eyes out then? Its not a frankenstien creature. Its more of a D&D type Flesh Golem

If you start to go in the "but it doesn't need to breathe" road, you're seeing golems as robotics.
    Or animated Golems....Which Quilt Is.

Your just pointing out more plot holes.

Heck, why use flesh at all? It's useless. See Jacob's skeleton arm: necromancers don't need flesh for their creations. Bones are enough. And why animate bones? They're brittle. Why not use some strong metal instead? And so on.
    It has something to do with getting owers from patches (As confusing as it is)

Quilt needs lungs because without them he'd be too different from a normal human body for the necromantic magic to animate.
    How do you know that? You also contradicted yourself. They only need bones.

The big idea with Quilt was to build a perfect zombie by using parts from different people (instead of just using a single body) so that the creation would get the powers of several people.
    And he needs lungs because? And how do lungs give Scrying powers?
    Last edited by TheArsenal; 2011-05-03 at 08:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    He also gave Quilt a penis but no brains. Think about that.
    That makes sense: Quilt was supposed to be evil. Which means a jock. What is the defining criteria of a jock? Has no brain and instead thinks with his wiener.
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

6. - Top - End - #606

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    Or animated Golems....Which Quilt Is.
    Necromantic golem. Which means "made from a dead body".

Your just pointing out more plot holes.
    My just pointing uot more plot holes what? Finish your sentences.

It has something to do with getting owers from patches (As confusing as it is)
    Not patches, parts. Jacob was all about enhanced parts.

How do you know that? You also contradicted yourself. They only need bones.
    But then Quilt would be a bone golem and Jacob went for the Flesh golem approach instead.

And he needs lungs because?
    He needs lungs for the same reason he needs hair or the capacity to fart: because he needs a human body to be animated.

And how do lungs give Scrying powers?
    They don't.
    Last edited by Gez; 2011-05-03 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #607
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Necromantic golem. Which means "made from a dead body".
    He used Corpses, but he could have used metals instead if he wanted (As seen by Acibek). Corpses where just his specialty.

My just pointing uot more plot holes what? Finish your sentences.
    Oops. I moved the sentence to the wrong spot.

You said "Why didn't he attack wings, spider legs ect"

That just points out more holes.

Not patches, parts. Jacob was all about enhanced parts.
    Ok.

But then Quilt would be a bone golem and Jacob went for the Flesh golem approach instead.
    I thought you agreed on me that he had enchanced parts. Thats why he was a flesh golem.

He needs lungs for the same reason he needs hair or the capacity to fart: because he needs a human body to be animated.
    Yet he lacks a brain. So your argument is invalid.
    In addition, if he only needs bone, then quilt wouldn't need lungs. The Patches would just be add ons with powers.

They don't.
    So a leg does right?
    Last edited by TheArsenal; 2011-05-03 at 09:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Barbarian in the Playground

The lung and leg aren't for scrying. They're for summoning imps, or casting enchantments, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Trying to apply logic to Quilt -- or really anything else in DD -- is a sure road to madness.

So...ultimately the crystal bubble spam was useless and Dominic has to do everything anyway.

10. - Top - End - #610

"Dear Mother,

I realize that you have chided me in the past for my supposed loneliness. Rest assured, I have taken specific steps to alleviate said loneliness.

And also, I'm not coming to Thanksgiving dinner, because I'll be the most powerful necromancer in the world by then and supermancers like me don't have to eat Gregory's filthy potatoes.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Jacob."
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

This was the theory:
    If I have many bodies to choose from, I can create the perfect golem with the best parts!
    With a body like that, who needs a brain?

That only shows us that theory and practice is not the same thing...

12. - Top - End - #612
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    "Dear Mother,

I realize that you have chided me in the past for my supposed loneliness. Rest assured, I have taken specific steps to alleviate said loneliness.

And also, I'm not coming to Thanksgiving dinner, because I'll be the most powerful necromancer in the world by then and supermancers like me don't have to eat Gregory's filthy potatoes.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Jacob."
    Hey! You ripped off my idea!

13. - Top - End - #613

Imp

Quilt had a brain, but Jacob ate it when he was trying to become the zombie alive.

Didn't much care for the taste, though. He ended up roasting it and slathering it with barbecue sauce.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #614

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    *excerpt from the unofficial DDRPG Strategy Guide
    You must have the Extended Edition. Mine just has one page, which says "On the character selection screen, roll a Deegan; if you somehow fail to roll a Deegan, party with at least one whenever possible and hope for the best."

He also gave Quilt a penis but no brains.

Think about that.
    In that case, Quilt is DEFINITELY a male, then!

And no, that link is not as mind-breakingly disturbing as it could have been, given the related comment. I promise
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #615

If you start to go in the "but it doesn't need to breathe" road, you're seeing golems as robotics. And then... Why make it human-shaped? You could give it four or eight arms, wings, tentacles, etc. to make it more powerful. You could put the head within the chest to protect it better. Also eyes in the back. And so on.

Quilt needs lungs because without them he'd be too different from a normal human body for the necromantic magic to animate. The big idea with Quilt was to build a perfect zombie by using parts from different people (instead of just using a single body) so that the creation would get the powers of several people.
    I'd assume this is the case, or Jacob simply desired to have his Golem contain all the materials of a functioning human, since I believe his goal with creating Quilt was using necromancy to create life in order to further his studies. I personally question the canonicity of the "Quilt has no brain" thing, since I assumed that was just a one-off gag not meant to be included in any serious discussion of Quilt.

On the subject of Quilt's assertion that everyone in Lynn's Brook is nice, he's a not particularly bright optimist who primarily lives in his own little world, do you honestly think he'd ever believe the worst of his neighbors? Just because he said it doesn't mean it's God's Truth that Lynn's Brook is filled with the nicest people on earth without a single jerk or idiot about. Christ, people...

About the bouncing fixations to find Celesto, I'm as lost as you all are, though. :/

16. - Top - End - #616
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    I personally question the canonicity of the "Quilt has no brain" thing, since I assumed that was just a one-off gag not meant to be included in any serious discussion of Quilt.
    :/
    Which brings up my main point:

most Magic Related Plot Problems are due to Mookie wanting to introduce terrible jokes that don't mesh well with the story and we have to just ignore for "Cannonity"

17. - Top - End - #617

Clearly Quilt is Rocky and Jacob is Dr. Frank N Furter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

18. - Top - End - #618

Okay, so in order to get the archmagi to side with them they have to break into the castle to find evidence against the king. But in order to do that they have to find Celesto. But in order to do that they have to do whatever Insane Troll Logic magibabble they're doing now. So this is basically a sidequest within a sidequest within a sidequest.

19. - Top - End - #619

NecromancerGuy

Trying to do the mental gymnastics required to make any of this make sense in a way that isn't horribly stupid give me a headache.

Mookie has to be just trolling at his point, I have a hard time believing that he honestly thinks what he writes is actually good.

20. - Top - End - #620

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Okay, so in order to get the archmagi to side with them they have to break into the castle to find evidence against the king. But in order to do that they have to find Celesto. But in order to do that they have to do whatever Insane Troll Logic magibabble they're doing now. So this is basically a sidequest within a sidequest within a sidequest.

If ever you needed proof that Dominic Deegan is one giant RPG.

21. - Top - End - #621

Thoughts might come from magic, but lungs are for talking. Which brings up the question of why Jacob made the golem capable of talking in the first place.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Every time I see an new Linkara episode I think: Mookie would be a pretty decent mainstream superhero comic writer. He really should change the genre.
    So...Superman and the Quik Bunny make you think of Dominic Deegan? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    ^So he might literally be thinking with his-?
    I said this when I managed to get the sneaky gate the other day, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    I deem this madcap hypothesis: Acceptable!
    LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Yeessss, that seems acceptable.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #624

This thread has completely warped me. For open showings today, Anime Club decided to go with Howl's Moving Castle. I kept on saying "Meanwhile, in Dominic Deegan" whenever it cut to bird!Howl. I've become a monster...

On a lighter note, if this hasn't come up before, Spark should totally be voiced by Billy Crystal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

25. - Top - End - #625

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    :On a lighter note, if this hasn't come up before, Spark should totally be voiced by Billy Crystal.
    Dominic would be voiced by Dan McNeely.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

26. - Top - End - #626

12:30 and still no sneaky gate tonight. Who's placing bets on filler?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

27. - Top - End - #627

GnomeWizardGuy

Sneaky Gate!
    Future Link!

Great, now I get to do this joke for real:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing more to add. At all really. Talking heads talking through what they talked through yesterday.

28. - Top - End - #628

I wish to witness every last detail about this scrying method; it is of the utmost importance!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

Well, a couple of things about curving a scry making the seer in question harder to detect:
    1. I could give Mookie the benefit of the doubt, but at this point I'll just assume the worst and say it's something Dominic could do to avoid detection all the time but never will because the plot doesn't demand it.
    2. I assume one could say they are about to throw DJ Callan a curveball.

Also, Mookie's new way of drawing noses is so very, very bad.

30. - Top - End - #630

GnomeWizardGuy

Also, Mookie's new way of drawing noses is so very, very bad.
    Are you referring to this?

Spoiler
    Show