New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

Apparently, lower-caste characters can not only just randomly pop into existence on a featureless plain, but also in a featureless plane.
    The ambushing part, however, seems to work less well.
    That's almost interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    So, what's gonna happen this week, I wonder? I bet they are just gonna spend the week gawking at the Royal Wizards until the Friday cliffhanger, sigh.
    And then, Facebath.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-05-09 at 03:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

It started when colored splash pages on Sunday became a tradition. Mookie would then stall or (hypothetically) accelerate the pacing so that a given scene could fall on the Stupendously Superfluous Stupid Sunday Splash Strip.

It became a lot worse once he decided to stop updating on weekends. Instead of stalling the pacing for a dramatic reveal on a Sunday, he started stalling the pacing for a dramatic cliffhanger on a Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

Secondary thought: This would be an excellect time to cut back to to the physical plane, showing that the Battlecasters (can someone please come up with a better name for these goons? A synapse breaks every time I type that word) are actually in the room with them. Then maybe commenting on how unintelligent it was to scry a high-priority target without even the faintest obfuscating cantrip to protect them from being spotted and traced.

That thought also leads smoothly into gutting Luna and dissassembling Quilt for later analysis. Then again, so do most things.
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-05-09 at 04:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    The problem I had is that every time Rayne did something 'nice', it always came across as insincere or out of character. Plus, it's easy to be charitable when you get anything you want, have no significant problems, and have received confirmation from a supernatural being that you can literally do no wrong.
    That happened to Ethan too.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, is this the reveal that got set up on Friday? "What the hell is that?" -> "Royal battlecasters."
    But at least good king DJ is actually doing something proactive in this whole finding Celesto business, namely putting trained people, or maybe golems? on the case, instead of pinning 100% of hope to the darkest horse anyone has ever seen.

Arguably it doesn't advance the plot though, because part of the package of assumptions we've had to make about DJ is that he's a rational player.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

6. - Top - End - #846
    Banned

I am rather deeply touched that y'all will actually miss us leavin' folk. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Someone needs to create a Myers Briggs test to determine what kind of snarker someone is.

1. An entire strip is devoted to how great Luna is. Your reaction is to:

a) Declare Luna as so derailed that she is now negative-dimensional.
    b) Declare Luna the character you now hate most.
    c) Write a spoiler box about how each flaw of Luna's could possibly be mistaken for a virtue.
    d) Write down the lyrics to a Disney song and replace some of the words with praise for Luna.
    Every time I see a post like this, I get set to defend Luna, and then I remember which Luna you mean and get physically sick at the thought of protecting that thing.

On the plus side, my subconscious is full of pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    What he said.
    (I wish there was a "like" button in the forum,, so I could signal approval without writing content-less posts that serve no other purpose.)
    There's a purpose! You're keeping th pace of the thread consistent with the pace of the comic; whole lot of words, not so much actually getting anywhere. Otherwise, you may confuse some poor folks into actually starting up DD as a fast-paced read! ;3

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    The last two weeks of comic really were pointless, weren't they?
    Seems I got out of Dodge at just the right time to not have a break down.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    And so, I present my proposition that being awake past 5 a.m. isn't a particularly good idea. Good night, everybody!
    Incorrect! 5 am is when BRILLIANCE happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimists
    We are leaving! We still believe ourselves to be freemen, with dreams and plans and hopes for our future. We will walk away from this abomination of writing and art, never to think of it again. It will not haunt our dreams, invade our waking thoughts, until all we can see is Mookie. Eventually, we will most certainly not stay awake at night, past that dreaded 5 am hour when you are alone with your thoughts, knowing that if we pause, if only for a moment, the memories will resurface. And when we hold our loved ones close, their faces will not waver, suddenly revealing a pointy nose, blank eyes, and an endlessly smug mouth. We will not then realize that we will never be free, that our reading has corrupted our souls completely and thoroughly. And then we definitely will not trudge back to this thread after two years, defeated but wiser. For if we must suffer this burden, at least we must not suffer it alone.
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    Potential activity sighted!

2. It is Thursday. An obvious filler strip has been posted. You respond by:

SINGING
    Cause this is FILLER, FILLER NIIIIIIIIIGHT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strip
    Silliness
    So. Um. What are these guys doing actually? Just chilling in the mindscape? Playing ring around the rosy? Red rover? What? Cause they're just sort of standing there, being faceless.
    Fangly my dear, I don't give a damn.

8. - Top - End - #848

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    But at least good king DJ is actually doing something proactive in this whole finding Celesto business, namely putting trained people, or maybe golems? on the case, instead of pinning 100% of hope to the darkest horse anyone has ever seen.

Arguably it doesn't advance the plot though, because part of the package of assumptions we've had to make about DJ is that he's a rational player
    I like how DJ Callan has been built up to be a genius, because it's going to make the absurdity sweeter every time the plot forces him to make a mistake a five year old wouldn't make in order to give Dominic a chance.

Although the fact King Dave hasn't found Celesto yet might count, given he's had a month or so head start. If Quilt could scry his position in under a day, I'm sure DJ can. Or at least find someone else who can.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Every time I see a post like this, I get set to defend Luna, and then I remember which Luna you mean and get physically sick at the thought of protecting that thing.
    Heh. Glad to see I'm not the only one who suffers that particular cognitive disconnect.

It's not all bad though... the idea of sealing DD Luna in the moon for a millenium is rather appealing .

Quote Originally Posted by Fangly View Post
    So. Um. What are these guys doing actually? Just chilling in the mindscape? Playing ring around the rosy? Red rover? What? Cause they're just sort of standing there, being faceless.
    Just like everyone else in the dominion.
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2011-05-09 at 08:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't it obvious?

Since there is a limited amount of Stunt Heads (tm) (i.e. One), the people whose turn it isn't have to go somewhere, and have to be faceless, naturally.

And where to better hang out while faceless and unused? Right!
    the Plane Of Unused Character Storage, or POUCS, of course!

Summon Dei Ex Machinae / Exposition Dumpers / Mooks / Collateral Damage Assets at will from this conveniently located plane at no additional costs!

It's the go-to place for lazy webcomic artists, and it's only $9.99 a month with our wonderful subscription plans*.

* May or may not enclude induced smugness on long-standing characters. Offer only valid after jumping the shark.
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2011-05-09 at 08:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #851

Hey, where exactly are LUna and Quilt right now? When did they jump into the psycho plane? Are they still on the material plane in some way? Right now, I'm picturing them running through a cloud of bubbles, yelling at random strangers.

Also, where are the battlecasters' hands? I keep looking, but there arms just seem to join at the middle.

Also, also: Stunt and Bumper are blushing pretty hard on the cover of the new book, but then I would be embarrassed too, being that badly drawn. (Seriously, look at Stunt's face... What is with those eyebrows)
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-05-09 at 09:03 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

12. - Top - End - #852

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    Wait, is this the reveal that got set up on Friday? "What the hell is that?" -> "Royal battlecasters."

Arguably it doesn't advance the plot though, because part of the package of assumptions we've had to make about DJ is that he's a rational player.
    The idea of Quilt being able to scry Celesto out before the Casters though, and possibly being able to see them while they can't see him. Quilt is a bumbling golem that up until very recently couldn't successfully scry anyone but Pam, while the Battlecasters are an apparently elite group put together and likely trained by possibly the best human mage in history.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

The scry is compiling

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Also, also: Stunt and Bumper are blushing pretty hard on the cover of the new book, but then I would be embarrassed too, being that badly drawn. (Seriously, look at Stunt's face... What is with those eyebrows)
    Wait, what was Donovan doing in that arc? I don't remember him at all!

And who's that girl he's with?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

15. - Top - End - #855

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wait, what was Donovan doing in that arc? I don't remember him at all!

And who's that girl he's with?
    I'm pretty sure that's Elanora, trying out a different shampoo.

Man, why aren't the protagonists a magical plastic surgeon and a bard/diplomat/troll? That sounds like a concept that could really go places. Anyone have any good ideas about what to do with that? My mind is just going "Oh, cool!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

16. - Top - End - #856

What is up with... Quilt's legs.

(I won't even ask what the deal is with everyone's feet as I know the deal is Mooks can't draw them)

17. - Top - End - #857
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm I would say Quilt has a wood leg, it symbolizes that he thinks dominic is wonderful and wants to be like him, thus he lacks a leg on that weird plane.
    Anyway I think the casters haven't found Celesto till now, because they spend most of their concentration on letting their cloaks billow. Afterall how will it look to Celesto if his opponents have capes which don't billow the right way? Or what if one of them messes up his floating with crossed/fused arms pose, that would be quite embarrassing.

18. - Top - End - #858

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    The idea of Quilt being able to scry Celesto out before the Casters though, and possibly being able to see them while they can't see him. Quilt is a bumbling golem that up until very recently couldn't successfully scry anyone but Pam, while the Battlecasters are an apparently elite group put together and likely trained by possibly the best human mage in history.
    I mean, yeah, on the face of it this is an absurd situation - this isn't scrappy underdogs defying the championship team, this is the scrappy underdogs vs. the Ocean - but at least there's a nod to maybe the Ocean's going to make a wave or two, instead of just letting the First Caste walk all over it.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks like Mookie just traced over a picture of floating legless Dominic when drawing Quilt today.

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    (I won't even ask what the deal is with everyone's feet as I know the deal is Mooks can't draw them)
    More evidence that Mookie is Rob Liefeld?

21. - Top - End - #861

GnomeWizardGuy

Quilt takes his pirate costumes seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    The scry is compiling
    Gaaarggh graaagh why did you link that whhhyyyyyyyy *shakes fist at random11*

22. - Top - End - #862

I think he's a gingerbread man.

23. - Top - End - #863

Guess What?
    Sneaky Gate
    Future Link

Ok, the little circles make me imagine a huge pause in between each conversation snippet, so it feels more like a bunch of disconnected snippets than actual dialogue...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Ohnoes! Quick! Pop the bubble!

25. - Top - End - #865

"Can they do that?"
    "Apparently."

Great worldbuilding there.

Also:

"I don't think they see us."
    "Then our plan is working."

????????

It looks like Quilt was supposed to say something between those two speech bubbles, but Mookie forgot to add it in.

26. - Top - End - #866

HALT! No plot developments until Friday. I'm gonna have to ask you to cut that sentence short, sir.

Man, it sure is good that Mookie clarified that the King's personal seers weren't hijacking soap bubbles for their scrying. I...actually it is. This thing is so poorly fleshed out that I don't know what's going on. Now they're in the bubbles again? What?

27. - Top - End - #867

All I got out of this was, a lot of the stuff that people have been saying is pointless... actually was, demonstrably, completely, overwhelmingly pointless. Good show, enthusiastic naysayers. I mean, unless they pop the bubble and just act on the info they got on Celesto.

Also, weren't they going to perform an extraction on Quilt to get evidence against DJ Callan with the Archmages? I asked this before, but why do they need Quilt to be the one who finds Celesto, to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

28. - Top - End - #868

GnomeWizardGuy

Shocking twist in Dominikudigan! It turns out Luna and Quilt were working with Itsukimashi all along! Are they traitors, or are they double agents?
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing much to say about that other webcomic - I prefer the one with a plot.

29. - Top - End - #869

NecromancerGuy

The last two comics could have very easily been just one.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ugh, Mookie is so stalling for Friday again.