New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

It's idiotic plot twists like this that make slogging through all the padding worthwhile.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXXV: DJ Callan Turns the Tables

"Your scry was really great, which you know because i, a master in scrying, says so! I am amazed at your competency."

Yeah thanks, Celesto. Appreciate it.

(Is Mookie really getting his scrying mixed up that much with the internet and government surveilance? Really? "cryptic/encrypted"? What does that even mean in this context? They can't hear/see what's actually said, but why does that matter? They can see that it is being done, from where to where, which is all they need.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #963

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    To be completely fair, Celesto is one of the strongest seers ever (I'm not sure if he's on par with Dom or comes in second place, but he's still high up there).
    And the Battlecasters were set up and possibly trained by the someone's who's been built up to be arguably the greatest human mage in history.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    And the Battlecasters were set up and possibly trained by the someone's who's been built up to be arguably the greatest human mage in history.
    To be fair, it's probably a lot easier to specialize in Second Sight to a greater extent than the greatest Human Mage in history if you only learned two disciplines of magic instead of ALL OF THEM.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh gods he's gone into a coma, oh man... We... We aren't responsible for this right? Oh man he'll ne'er wake up... never... Oh gods
    I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

I was hoping to explain why this is breaking rules by the hundredfold but I no longer care.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently, the Battlecasters aimlessly wander the internetplane, randomly connecting and disconnecting at their leisure, since an additional Battlecaster just showing up like "Yo, 'sup?" obviously isn't a big deal.
    Like many things in this comic (Although the number isn't high enough to be amazing or anything, really.), that's almost interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celesto seems to have lost a tiny bit of his: "I'm better then you", complex. At least he is complimenting people now.
    That compliment is just masked self-adulation, though. This arc's Celesto is all subtle and stuff. Remarkably like the original one.

8. - Top - End - #968

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Apparently, the Battlecasters aimlessly wander the internetplane, randomly connecting and disconnecting at their leisure, since an additional Battlecaster just showing up like "Yo, 'sup?" obviously isn't a big deal.
    Like many things in this comic (Although the number isn't high enough to be amazing or anything, really.), that's almost interesting.

That compliment is just masked self-adulation, though. This arc's Celesto is all subtle and stuff. Remarkably like the original one.
    So standard evil minion stupidity then. Any real elite unit would be aware of the group's numbers and identities, and would notice if an extra member was amongst the group.

9. - Top - End - #969

Oh man, I don't what other people's ads look like, but I almost died when I saw this.

Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

10. - Top - End - #970

Well, DO you?

heheh, even the hand is so inappropiate.

11. - Top - End - #971

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Oh man, I don't what other people's ads look like, but I almost died when I saw this.

I always suspected Thing would move on to more... daring adventures after he left the Addams.
    Last edited by Castel; 2011-05-11 at 05:07 PM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

12. - Top - End - #972

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    Well, DO you?
    Check the file name.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

13. - Top - End - #973

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    heheh, even the hand is so inappropiate.
    And look at the background! It's a perfect match!

The alt-text is "The new messiah isn't here to save you".

Edit: Okay, I've skimmed through the first couple of pages of "The Prophet's Garden" and apparently it stars a guy in glasses in a purple scarf with a prosthetic leg.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-05-11 at 05:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #974

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    And look at the background! It's a perfect match!

The alt-text is "The new messiah isn't here to save you".

Edit: Okay, I've skimmed through the first couple of pages of "The Prophet's Garden" and apparently it stars a guy in glasses in a purple scarf with a prosthetic leg.
    Blugh, I got through three pages. That's the least visually appealing website I've seen that didn't include sparkly gifs.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

15. - Top - End - #975

NecromancerGuy

It's already been mentioned, but this is one of those situations where hiding in plain sight is blatantly retarded.

The Battlecasters should have already been going "There are only supposed to be five of us here. Who the Hell is that sixth guy?" (Or however the hell many there actually are.)

And that's not even the worst problem with the comic.

Celesto took off the face obscuring mask to have a friendly little chat . . . All it would take is just one of the actualy Battlecasters catching a glimpse out of the corner of their eye and whoops, you got caught.

Not only that, Celesto rather openly and deliberately shut down the Quilt/Luna scry. Which is a pretty big giveaway of something being off when your only supposed to be monitoring scries. (This is also another problem with the friendly chat.)

---------------------

Damn. Why can't any of the people in this comic who are supposed to be smart actually, oh I don't know, show even the faintest traces of intelligence?

16. - Top - End - #976

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    The Battlecasters should have already been going "There are only supposed to be five of us here. Who the Hell is that sixth guy?" (Or however the hell many there actually are.)
    Every battlecaster will be going "There are five of us. I can see five battlecasters, so everything's okay!" Celesto is a genius.

Or it might be because in this comic, planning ahead is about occasionally throwing in hidden hints about how Snuggly killed a squid we just met to be revealed years later, and not about thinking about what will happen tomorrow. It's like a webcomic form of Telephone/Chinese Whispers.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-05-11 at 07:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #977

I think in light of this, I'm going to stick to my theory that the battlecasters are actually golems, or constructs, or robots, or whatever. King DJ just slapped together some code that said "monitor all scry channels", and they don't have the complexity to overstep that boundary. Celesto's right there, but the domain they're looking for him in doesn't extend to "right here".
    It's also why you can even do something like "watch all seers" without tying up an economically important volume of seers, where their numbers come from - they're built, not born. It's why they have masks, so people won't see their terrible, misshapen faces! It's why King DJ can trust them in his scheme to bring an unknowable freakshow from the land beyond all lands into the world, possibly to destroy it - they don't have the will to disobey! THEY CAN'T BE MADE TO SEE THE TRUTH BECAUSE DJ CALLAN IS THE TRUTH.
    Yes, yes, I like this fanfiction well.

I think I am still going to whine about being sold a bill of goods about how if they ever get spotted, they just need to "pop" the spell. Like, even a token thing! They try to pop the spell and the Battlecaster just grabs them by the magical genitals and says NO MAGIC DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT YOU COWARDS YOU FOOLS. Sweat a second! Luna was wrong! And then Celesto's all "lol jk gents p.s. hack the planet"
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

18. - Top - End - #978

I will add that they are copies of the original Acibek design, only cheaper, Snuggly-powered and mass-produced.
    Last edited by Garland; 2011-05-11 at 09:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #979

NecromancerGuy

I have another theory and I honestly don't know if it would be better or worse if it was true.

DJ Callan is trying to pull a Magus and Squiggly is his Lavos.

For whatever contrived reason, Squiggly can only be permanently destroyed if dragged into whatever plane the Dominion occupies.

DJ Callan has simply deceived Squiggly into thinking he'll become stronger, not weaker, by entering Callan.

Hence that "It's not enough! Why am I not becoming more awesome!" comic from when Dominic somehow gained the ability to accidentally overhear conversations across planes.

----------------

And Dominic being the smug, self centered jerk that he is that thinks he knows everything about everything?

He's going to screw up DJ Callans plan to save the world. Maybe the King will die because of Dom's dumb mistake.

He'll probably have some dying "It's all up to you" message.

And then despite the fact that he made it worse, caused their King to die, and had to clean up a mess that wouldn't have existed without his interference . . . the people will celebrate Dom as a hero.

--------------------

Ok . . . That would actually be terrible.

I'd only enjoy that if DJ Callan was all "Fool! I'm saving the world from The Beast! Watch how someone who actually competent gets things done!"

And then the King one ups the Deegans in every conceivable way.

And then, unintentional or not, has the Deegans executed for the treasonous act of providing actual assistance to Squiggly. (Totally different from the King's fake, "Haha!" Now you're weak!" assistance.)

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Sneaky Gate.

Future Link.

OK, I like p. 6. There's almost a background, there's Quilt being insane in something resembling a good way, and there's physical comedy at the expense of Lord Dominus.

I do wonder why Lord Dominus is bothering with talking to and talking down Gerald. I know, I know, he's doing it for the joke, but you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-05-11 at 10:30 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

21. - Top - End - #981

Heh heh, this only needs the "saving hands" panel for an insta-stripslay!

22. - Top - End - #982

So... Quilt lives with the Dominus, then? Or Dominic just decided to go to wherever it is Quilt lives to tear down Gerald?

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    So... Quilt lives with the Dominus, then? Or Dominic just decided to go to wherever it is Quilt lives to tear down Gerald?
    Lord Dominus feels threatened by Gerald.

Also, p. 8 makes me think of this, and I'm not comfortable with that.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-05-11 at 10:43 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

24. - Top - End - #984

How is it that Celesto and Dominic knew about Gerald while Luna didn't? The evidence that Luna is a total idiot continues to mount...

25. - Top - End - #985

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Also, p. 8 makes me think of this, and I'm not comfortable with that.
    You're not the only one, and drat you beat me to posting this:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986

I just thought of the saving hands.

27. - Top - End - #987

Good work, Quilt. Lord knows what Gerald might have done to Dominic for his insolence if he'd been any slower.

Also, for the battlecasters, I'd assume wire-tapping EVERY scry takes a lot more than five or six guys. It's pretty easy to hide in a group of a hundred guys compared to five or six.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    Also, for the battlecasters, I'd assume wire-tapping EVERY scry takes a lot more than five or six guys. It's pretty easy to hide in a group of a hundred guys compared to five or six.
    but that's the problem, we have no idea how this works

29. - Top - End - #989

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    What Arsenal said. Celesto hiding amongst the battle-casters is narrative white noise when we don't know how the battle-scapes work, how mindscapes work, how Celesto is able to mimic one there or even why Celesto would want to mimic one. It's an element that feels thrown in there because it's similar to what other stories might do.

Also, obligatory Dominikudigan:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #990

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    but that's the problem, we have no idea how this works
    ...So you assume it works in a stupid way that makes no sense instead of it working?

Boy, you guys are gluttons for punishment.