New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

Months before the adventurer's set out on the road to Winterhaven, a man named Douven Staul had set out on the road to Winterhaven himself. He had managed to get his hands on a map with the location dragon's tomb not far from the town and had set off in search of the remains and with any luck, the dragon's hoard as well. As the months wore on, Iltaru, the man's close friend became worried that he had not returned and began searching for others to accompany him to Winterhaven in search of Douven Staul.

Meanwhile, in the Great Church, a priest of Pelor by the name of Marla had tasked Joran Skyborn with travelling to Winterhaven as well. Marla's research centered around the study of the history and activity of various demon and death cults. Her research had led her to the accounts of several witnesses claiming to have seen a small group of death cultists travelling towards Winterhaven. With further research and information gathering she has since determined that the group is led by a twisted and dangerous priest named Kalarel, and she fears that he has set up a secret cult in the area and is conducting unholy ceremonies. Joran has been tasked with leading a small band of adventurer's to Winterhaven to determine if there is indeed death cult activity in the area and to put an end to it if there is.

Other's members of the Great Church had been looking for likely candidates to accompany the Paladin of Avandra on this quest and had selected 3 companions for him. These companions were Rythia They'lliar, Nathanial Duport, and Thyrn.

As the group was preparing to depart for Winterhaven, Iltaru found them and asked if he could accompany them to the town and if they could assist him in locating his close friend, Douven Staul.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2011-05-03 at 12:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

To Rythia and Thyrn: "Lady luck smiles upon me! It's my first mission and I am teamed up with two other half-elves. Having grown up among men and goblins in the slums of Pedra's Gate, I've rarely met others of my kind. Tell me, have either of you seen elven lands?"

To Nathaniel: "Always good to have a rogue on our team. If there is anything the halfling priests of M'Lady has taught me is that it's always good to have a nimble set of hands working with me. By the way, have you been to Pedra's gate? You look familiar."

To Iltaru: "Greetings... uh sir. I suppose you are the one searching for you scholar friend?"

Joran has never seen a shardmind before.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Without betraying any of surprise at seeing the lad, Nathan tells him, "Hmm Pedra's Gate... Pedra's Gate... nope, never heard of it, never been there in my life... err what was your name again dear fellow?"
    Last edited by Kubular; 2011-05-04 at 02:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looking at the group, Iltaru nodded slowly. "My goal is to find my friend. However, I also see that others have tasks for which they seek answers and I can see how they are important to each of you. In return for your assistance with finding my companion Douven Staul, I would be.....happy....if you might permit me to return the deed and assist you with your assigned tasks. My name is Iltaru."

It is a few seconds after he finishes speaking that he holds out his hand suddenly, as if he has belatedly remembered that this is a proper way to introduce himself to others.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia was honestly impressed with the way Joran was handling himself. He made every effort to speak to everyone individually. The attempt was appreciated. In her eyes, he was the one leading this expedition to Winterhaven. So she had no problems with assisting him to the best of her ability. When introductions were being made, Rythia had responded well, "Well met, my name is Rythia Theylliar. I didn't expect to see so many half-elves in our group either. I'll do my best to aid the church and you in this task. Actually, I was raised in an elven community myself before...what is the term...ah, wanderlust convinced me travel. At least, that's what the elves call it. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to chat once we begin the journey in earnest." She never really met many half-elves so she was looking forward to the adventure.

Still, that wasn't the only reason she was happy. The crimson haired woman glanced at Nathaniel with a warm smile, "In any event, I'm glad we have seasoned adventurer with us. This will make our task go smoothly." She had no reason to doubt his story about being a professional. It gave her some hope that they could all live up the church's expectations.

Her eyes drifted to Shardmind. This being was curious to say the least. She wasn't quite sure what to make of him. The young woman had never seen one before. Still, she was just as friendly with Iltaru as anyone else, "Hopefully we can find out some information regarding your friend, Iltaru. Even if we have different reasons for traveling, I see no reason why we shouldn't help one another."

Rythia took one last moment to go through her belongings and ensure that she was truly ready for the journey. There was little doubt in her mind that these moments would be far and few between.
    Last edited by Demonicheart; 2011-05-04 at 06:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Joran recognizes Iltaru's attempt at socialization. He realizes that he never got anywhere by being cautious, so he warmly shakes Iltaru's hand and pats him on the shoulder. "Good to have you with us. Feel free to tell me more about Mr. Staul. Were you close?"

Joran then turns to Rythia. "Sometimes, I think my entire life feels like wanderlust. I've been alone for so long, that it'll be nice to have companions." Noting that she carries herself like a warrior, he motions to her longsword, "Has it seen much action?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: Forgot to answer Nathan? Ah well, its just a name, I'll retcon it into my post and you can edit it in later. Also, does anyone know anything about Sournote? Post in the OOC thread, I just didn't want to triple-post.))

Noting the attention Joran was getting, Nathan had to assert himself as the senior here. "Joran, ah a fine name for a wanderer of such... wanderlust." he replied with a bow to Joran after recieving his name.

Continuing onward, he paces beside the two and draws Rythia's sword from its sheathe and studies it, testing its weight and staring into his reflection in the blade. He taps his palm with the blade after a moment and answers for Rythia, "This is certainly no virgin blade as the damage in the edge should indicate. Despite that, it is still remarkably well maintained." Looking up from the blade to Rythia with a slight grin, "Some say that a sword is a mirror of the wielder's soul." He stops midstride and tosses the blade to Rythia then continues pacing around.

He addresses Thyrn seemingly cheerfully and shakes his hand "And you, er, Thorn. Happy to have you on the team. Though I daresay I haven't seen you around these parts at all. Where are you from?"

He sees the mass of green-blue stones and creases his brow. Nathan circles around the construct, looking it up and down. Still clearly uncomfortable with addressing it as a person, he says, "How does it speak?" He says so with a humorously confused look.
    Last edited by Kubular; 2011-05-05 at 12:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia blinked a bit in surprise as Nathaniel examined her sword. The young woman was clearly impressed with his assessment. She blushed a little as she confirmed his story, "Although I am mostly self-taught, I did find a ranger guard or two in my grove to teach me finer points and spar with. The trip out of the grove was not entirely easy either. My mother probably wouldn't have let me leave if I couldn't prove that I could take care of myself a little." She took back her weapon and stared at it for a moment, "She...doesn't particularly like me walking this path. We argued about it for weeks." Securing it on her waist once more, Rythia finished with a knowing smile, "I love her dearly but sometimes...I think she worries too much. I know she'd rather I take up her profession as an alchemist, study magic and stay home."

A sudden thought crossed her mind as she spoke of home, I know it isn't that important but...maybe I can bring a present or two back for mother. Maybe something to help with her trade... She turned turned to Nathan and asked with curiosity, "Do you know anything about wild herbs, Nathaniel? If we find anything special, I could save it as a gift for my mother. I know we have more important things to do as well but if you see anything of use, could you let me know?" She was beginning to trust his expertise thanks to his weapon assessment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"Nathan, it puts my mind at ease to have someone so experienced with us," says Joran. Something about Nathan reminded him of the other children he ran with in his youth. Although, he did recall that those kids got him into as much trouble just as much as they got him out of trouble. Regardless, his faith in Avandra was strong... throw caution to the wind and the lucky lady would look out for him and his friends.

"Rythia, it is difficult to know where this adventure will take us and I've never been one to plan for the future, but if you find yourself returning elven lands, then I would very much like to accompany you."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicheart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rythia blinked a bit in surprise as Nathaniel examined her sword. The young woman was clearly impressed with his assessment. She blushed a little as she confirmed his story, "Although I am mostly self-taught, I did find a ranger guard or two in my grove to teach me finer points and spar with. The trip out of the grove was not entirely easy either. My mother probably wouldn't have let me leave if I couldn't prove that I could take care of myself a little." She took back her weapon and stared at it for a moment, "She...doesn't particularly like me walking this path. We argued about it for weeks." Securing it on her waist once more, Rythia finished with a knowing smile, "I love her dearly but sometimes...I think she worries too much. I know she'd rather I take up her profession as an alchemist, study magic and stay home."

A sudden thought crossed her mind as she spoke of home, I know it isn't that important but...maybe I can bring a present or two back for mother. Maybe something to help with her trade... She turned turned to Nathan and asked with curiosity, "Do you know anything about wild herbs, Nathaniel? If we find anything special, I could save it as a gift for my mother. I know we have more important things to do as well but if you see anything of use, could you let me know?" She was beginning to trust his expertise thanks to his weapon assessment.
    Nathan smiled reassuringly and replied, "Please, just Nathan m'lady." Building trust by allowing use of an informal name: success. He pats her on the shoulder and says, "Sounds like you've had some rough relations back home. Worry not, we'll be able to find something for your mother before you return. Finding rare herbs might be a bit tricky, but I'll do my best."

Quote Originally Posted by mykng View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Nathan, it puts my mind at ease to have someone so experienced with us," says Joran. Something about Nathan reminded him of the other children he ran with in his youth. Although, he did recall that those kids got him into as much trouble just as much as they got him out of trouble. Regardless, his faith in Avandra was strong... throw caution to the wind and the lucky lady would look out for him and his friends.
    "Glad to hear it." He says shortly. He smiled and told him, "I can guarantee that your trust is not misplaced"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Iltaru smiled a bit as Joran took his offered hand. "I only knew him for a few months, but he and his wife showed uncommon kindness to me, despite my unique nature and appearance. He was a wise man, although tended to lose himself in his studies. My hope is that he simply lost track of time on his journey and that nothing bad has happened."

As he released Joran's hand, he noticed Nathan circling him with a look that seemed to jump between curiousity and confusion.

"How does it speak, you ask? Like you, with my mouth....and, unlike you, with some common courtesy."

Iltaru tried to make it sound like a polite reproach. He was used to the wary glances his appearance generated, but that did not mean he had to accept it willingly.

"And, if I choose to, with no words at all." No voice or sound accompanied his last statement, as it was heard quietly only in each of their heads. With a touch of apprehension, he wondered what their response would be....would he find himself journeying alone yet again?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Joran, fascinated by the display of Iltaru's powers, began to wonder how those powers could be used strategically if they encountered hostile creatures.

Speaking of powers, "Say, wasn't there another half-elf in this room? One that was gifted in the arcane arts? Thyrn wasn't it? I wonder where he went?"
    Last edited by mykng; 2011-05-07 at 12:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia was a little surprised to hear that Joran wanted to accompany her back to the elven lands sometime in the future. She certainly saw nothing wrong with it since merchants often visited from far off places...assuming they had a guide or knew where to look. The young woman was also grateful Nathan would help her out with picking up something for her mother. The half-elf smiled warmly, "Thank you, Nathan. And Joran...You, Nathan, Iltaru and our other companion, if they were inclined, would be welcome to visit. My hometown, Tal'sulrim, is open to all...just so long as you can find it. You see, the majority of the town is built in the treetops and the ground beneath it looks almost like your typical forest glade. Most people would walk right by it without realizing it. I've seen it happen a few times. With me as your guide, it wouldn't happen. Even if I got turned around, just so long as I get the general area right the rangers know me and would help out."

She took a moment to think about her words and laughed nervously, "That...probably doesn't sound too reassuring...but I know the signs leading back home. I remember the traders who visit have been trying to convince the elders to put in a road for years but I doubt that will happen. In any case, I'm sure mother would be pleased to meet everyone...I'd just ask a favor should that happen...please don't bring up her age. She is less than a decade away from two-hundred now. I think it bothers her even if she won't admit it."

She was caught a little off guard by the shardmind's apparent ability to speak into their minds. Still, it wasn't a completely foriegn feeling for the half-elf. Some of her mother's more convincing Ghost Sound spells sounded similar to this. Rythia couldn't help commenting, "That's an interesting gift, Iltaru. There might be a use for it on our journey."
    Last edited by Demonicheart; 2011-05-07 at 06:19 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I am SO sorry I did not post sooner. I have had a CRAZY week and am halfway brain-dead. I should be able to post more now.
    Ugh.

Thyrn cast his gaze over the other adventurers gathered here. The majority of them did not surprise him in the least. He had encountered many a half-elf and even more humans in his travels. When he laid eyes upon Iltaru, however, his curiosity was piqued. Shardminds were not one of the races he encountered often.
    He let out a mumbled greeting, before resuming his examination of the Psion.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nodding his head slowly to Rythia, he said, "It is a gift of all shardminds, one which I do not use often. I prefer to speak like other sentients and I resort to my telepathy only when necessary. But I am glad you think it may prove useful."

He noticed Thyrn examining him, just as Nathan had, and wondered if either might manage to see past his appearance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turk Mannion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Iltaru smiled a bit as Joran took his offered hand. "I only knew him for a few months, but he and his wife showed uncommon kindness to me, despite my unique nature and appearance. He was a wise man, although tended to lose himself in his studies. My hope is that he simply lost track of time on his journey and that nothing bad has happened."

As he released Joran's hand, he noticed Nathan circling him with a look that seemed to jump between curiousity and confusion.

"How does it speak, you ask? Like you, with my mouth....and, unlike you, with some common courtesy."

Iltaru tried to make it sound like a polite reproach. He was used to the wary glances his appearance generated, but that did not mean he had to accept it willingly.

"And, if I choose to, with no words at all." No voice or sound accompanied his last statement, as it was heard quietly only in each of their heads. With a touch of apprehension, he wondered what their response would be....would he find himself journeying alone yet again?
    "Ooh well look at that. Its jaw j-just separated from the rest of its face. I think I may have gone crazy... he sighs deliriously, although it's obvious that he's only joking to tease Iltaru. Although, in his mind, he thinks, hoping that the Shardmind can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can hear my thoughts, know that I don't trust you at all, and that I will kill you if you try anything.

He sobers up and laughs, "I'm just messin' with you, Rockface." He looks at the rest and points towards the door, "So, shall we go?"
    Last edited by Kubular; 2011-05-08 at 04:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubular View Post
    "Ooh well look at that. Its jaw j-just separated from the rest of its face. I think I may have gone crazy... he sighs deliriously, although it's obvious that he's only joking to tease Iltaru. Although, in his mind, he thinks, hoping that the Shardmind can hear:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you can hear my thoughts, know that I don't trust you at all, and that I will kill you if you try anything.

He sobers up and laughs, "I'm just messin' with you, Rockface." He looks at the rest and points towards the door, "So, shall we go?"

Iltaru stares solemnly back at the human for a few seconds, before sending his thoughts back, no emotion on his face.

If I misunderstand your jocularity, then my apologies, for understanding humanoids is a trait that continues to evolve for me. If your thoughts are not in jest, then know this. I accept your narrow-minded lack of faith, thought I find it disturbing and, if I may be blunt, lamentable. But not everyone, perhaps, can be as elightened as the others we travel with. So I will give you no reason for doubt. But rest assured, that just as you may be watching for decietful deeds on my part, I shall do the same. And though it will grieve me if I must action to protect myself or others against you, I shall do so with all the power I have, even as I will grieve for you and your insular disposition."

Turning to the others and gripping his staff, he rumbles, "I am ready."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turk Mannion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Iltaru stares solemnly back at the human for a few seconds, before sending his thoughts back, no emotion on his face.

If I misunderstand your jocularity, then my apologies, for understanding humanoids is a trait that continues to evolve for me. If your thoughts are not in jest, then know this. I accept your narrow-minded lack of faith, thought I find it disturbing and, if I may be blunt, lamentable. But not everyone, perhaps, can be as elightened as the others we travel with. So I will give you no reason for doubt. But rest assured, that just as you may be watching for decietful deeds on my part, I shall do the same. And though it will grieve me if I must action to protect myself or others against you, I shall do so with all the power I have, even as I will grieve for you and your insular disposition."

Turning to the others and gripping his staff, he rumbles, "I am ready."
    "Good to hear, Rockface." he grinned at Iltaru. But he was really thinking, I wouldn't have it any other way.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"Let's continue this witty banter on the road, shall we? I believe it is time we head to Winterhaven."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia nodded at Joran's words and finished her last minute preparations. The half-elven woman was clearly ready to head out. She just mentally prayed everything went well, My first real adventure...its exciting and a bit daunting really...

21. - Top - End - #21

Thyrn silently gathered his belongings, following the others. He was eager to try a spell he had been imagining for some time now, and moved quickly.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The band of would be heroes sets out upon the King's Road from Fallcrest, bound for Winterhaven with their spirits high. The journey is uneventful as they tread the first of the many miles to Winterhaven through the rolling Moon Hills and across the rushing Nentir River. The road appears to be safe and game can be seen out across the plains. As the first day draws to a close, the Gardbury Downs appear over the horizon and the party stops for the night and begins to set camp.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to roleplay some of the journey as well as pitching camp and settling down for the night and divvying up the watch etc. I will do the travel along the road in chunks like this with RP in between to get us to Winterhaven and the bulk of the adventure. Also, when travelling, who would like to be in the front row and who would like to be in the back?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"This journey may prove hazardous and from what I hear of Winterhaven's troubles, we may find ourselves under attack. Shall I suggest we establish a marching order? I am well-armored and could easily be in front."

"Rythia, you're a tactician. How shall we position the rest of our team?"

Spoiler
    Show
    As the party's tank, I guess I should be in front to absorb most attacks.

"As for tonight, we should set up a watch schedule so we can each get 6 hours of rest. Nathan, as the most seasoned adventurer among us, can you establish the watch schedule?"
    Last edited by mykng; 2011-05-09 at 02:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Thyrn trudged along, a little behind the others. Though he was eager to set out on an adventure, he did not yet fully trust his new companions, and preferred to remain somewhat separated from the group.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

While walking, Iltaru made an attempt to remain near the center of the group. Not as much for protection as simply to convince himself that he was part of the team.

At the mention of watch rotations, Iltaru looked around a bit confused. "I must confess that camp arrangements are somewhat foreign to me." If his crystalline features would allow it, one would see a grimace across his face. "With no need to eat, drink or sleep, I have never paid heed to these camp requirements. And....I usually travel alone. I simply require several hours of rest.

However,"
    he continued in a somewhat bolder voice, "I will not shirk my duties to the party and will serve in whatever function is necessary. Simply provide instructions," nodding at Nathan, "and I will see my tasks to completion."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

For the majority of the journey, Rythia's position in the march had remained very fluid. There were times when she walked near the front of the group and times she slowed down to cover the back. In one case, she even darted ahead of group to get a better view of the Nethir River as the party passed over the bridge. She bashfully admitted that she was new to this region so she wanted to take everything in. However, one could say she preferred staying in the middle of the group more often than not. Some might think she was trying to stay fluid intentionally so she could support the front or the back if need be. Truthfully, her reasons weren't that complex. She just enjoyed striking up a conversation up with others. Despite Thyrn's best attempts, she even tried talking with him on more than one occasion. Before setting up camp, the topic of interest that she brought up was best heard bardic tales. She even promised to tell one of her favorite stories later if the group was inclined.

However, the topic of true marching order and shifts brought her back to reality as she began to unpack her gear, "Well...I guess I would prefer to stay in the middle of our group. It makes it easier for me to reach anyone if they need help. Joran, you and I could make a decent front line if need be and if we get surrounded I can cover our back for a little while." She let out a small laugh as she continued, "I think Nathan is skilled enough that I don't need to suggest how he should walk and I imagine Thyrn and Iltaru would want to stay away from anything sharp. They aren't wearing armor after all."

The crimson haired half-elf pulled out her tent and began pitching it. Still, she managed to concentrate on her task as well as voice her thoughts, "If its alright with you Nathan, I'd like the last shift please. I am usually an early riser anyway."

She turned her gaze to Thyrn and called out, "Thyrn, do you have any preferences with my suggestions? You don't really speak up often and I fear overlooking you." It was rather clear that by trying to avoid the group, Thyrn had become a target of Rythia's attention. She made a habit of speaking to everyone.

As she continued to work with her tent she added as an after thought, "Oh, I'm still awake enough to tell one of the favorite stories if you are interested. I know its been a long day so I won't mind if you'd rather save it for later."
    Last edited by Demonicheart; 2011-05-10 at 03:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Whatever you all want to do is fine with me.", replied Thyrn, clearly somewhat embarrassed by Rythia's attantion. "I'm willing to do whatever is necessary."
    After a moment, Thyrn declared, "I am going to look around here for anything we might be able to eat." Without waiting for a response, he quickly split off from the party to perform this task.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"Since I haven't heard any suggestions from anyone else, I will take first watch tonight. It looks like we'll watch for about 1 1/2 hours each. I'll wake up Thyrn for the second watch," said Joran. Eager to know the rest of his teammates, he had selected Thyrn for the second to see if he could have a moment with the warlock. Perhaps Thyrn would talk to him in confidence, Joran hoped. He thought the team would function better if they all trusted each other.

"Rythia, I would welcome a tale from you to entertain me for the beginning of my watch. Please, spin your yarn." Joran found Rythia's excitement refreshing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

When asked to give directions, Nathan responded happily, "Alright everyone we should have a defensive marching order in case of brigands on the road to Winterhaven. Rockface and Joran side-by-side, followed by Rythia, followed by... err, Thyrn and me. If you have any questions, just ask." He nearly forgot the man's name as he'd never said it properly before. "At night, we'll watch in pairs, trading off one by one. Unless anyone has any objections I'll take first watch with the rock thingy, then it'll trade off with Thyrn. I'll trade off with Joran, then Thyrn will trade off with Rythia. We may change tomorrow night, we'll see how this works out. I hope you don't mind at all my friend." He directs the last statement towards Joran. Obviously he doesn't trust Thyrn and Iltaru through and through.

To Rythia, he says, "Come now Rythia, he's a big boy now, no need to worry. He'll fit in with all the other kids just fine." Then he pauses as if waiting for something, then points to Thyrn as he runs off, "He... doesn't know we have food?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Nathan's plan is a sound one. We could go with that and a two by two watch would mean we'd have an easier time staying awake."