New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

Roderick helps gather the stones for the funerals after assisting the duo with their wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Majestic Word on Crane and Kourni

Spend a healing surge and gain an extra 4 hit points on top of it.

He also recalls an elvish funeral song that he plans to play for the deceased once the preparations are completed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Song of Rest for everyone. You get more hit points back but I can't tell how many without my books in front of me
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh, Shade Warlock

Sgian-dubh got up and grunted a thanks to the monk for freeing him, walking by a kobold, dragging it outside and setting it on fire. After hearing the monk's words about burying their dead, Sgian-dubh rolled his eyes and scoffed at his sentiments, though he said nothing to further upset his newly found party. Not because he wanted to spare their feeling, but because he didn't want to distance them yet. Instead he just sat outside the cave entrance, waiting for them to finish, meditating and communicating with his father. He then waited till they were done with their ridiculous rituals.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Aye, noble Monk. Moradin be with your former allies who gave their lives."The three are able to quickly gather enough stones to form rather impressive altars. Reeve dropped to one knee and said a prayer of Moradin's blessing on the fallen.

Once the efforts had been completed, Reeve solemnly noted, "Let us not linger. We must deliver the news of your victory, however pyrrhic it may be, to Lord Padraig with haste. If any other potential threats exist which would endanger my temple's people, I should like to join you."

With that, Reeve gathered his belongings and ushered for the group to venture back toward Winterhaven.

Reeve took note of the warlock accompanying the party and felt an evil aura about it. So long as he contributes to the betterment of my allies, he will live to see more days, he thought.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-23 at 11:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    As the funeral, as it were, comes to completion, a single tear drops down from the tattoo on the monk's cheek. He turns to the new party. Excuse my manners. I am called Weeping Crane, though you may call me Crane if you like. He bows hands clasped to the newcomers. We can return to the city, is the only response he gives to the cleric's suggestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    With Song of Rest, Crane only needs to spend 3 surges to get back to full, so that's how many he spends.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-05-25 at 01:17 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Coming out of his meditation, hearing that they were ready to leave, Sgian-dubh nods in agreement, "I will follow you to town," was all he said, he was not one to waste words. He gathered his supplies that were taken from him and waited for the others to head to town. "Though before we leave, does anybody have the key for that chest over there?"
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-05-25 at 02:01 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #396

"Yes, Warlock." That last word was said with a slight hint of distain. "Our friend Crane has the key." Taking the key, he took a quick look at the chest and then opened it.

"Whatever the enemy locked away may aid us in our future battles. The better equipped we are, the easier this land's purification will become."

Spoiler
    Show
    Active perception check on the chest, searching for traps: (1d20)[13]
    If any are found, thievery check to disable: (1d20)[3]
    Otherwise, open the chest and take what's inside.

Ardents wouldn't normally do these actions but I'm sacrificing potential HP to get the game moving along :)
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-25 at 03:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Using the key that was found on Irontooth's body, Reeve unlocks and opens the chest. The chest contains a fine suit of dwarven mail as well as a large number of coins.

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 Dwarven Chain Mail
    420GP

8. - Top - End - #398
    Bugbear in the Playground

Draziw inspects the chest and tries to find out if there is any magic on the mail.

"We should find out who is the spy in Winterhaven. It might be dangerous for the village if this thread is not erradicated."

It is hard to judge those new found allies. A warlock could be allied with dark powers of horror and madness....and Draziw decides that he'd needs to know more about the other two, too.

"But this is a task for tomorrow. Today we should rest here. There might be more of those little beasts that return to the cave,, and maybe you can tell us how you got captured and who you are."
    Last edited by Leolo; 2012-05-25 at 05:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399

"Your ordeals were much greater than ours today; perhaps rest would be in good order, albeit I have done nothing but rest and wait for days. I will offer to stay awake if needed. But first, allow me to usher your attention to something I discovered upon arrival."

He motioned the group to the south of the cave entrance to a clearing. "I discovered this magic circle during my ambush of the kobolds, just before my untimely capture. I lack the skills to decipher the mystics behind this inscription. If we determine it to be dormant, this clearing provides a good view to the entrance of the cave, allowing us to spot any kobolds returning home while we rest. Would anyone with arcane skill like to volunteer?", he said with a charismatic grin.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-25 at 09:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Should we choose to stay, I have learned a ritual that might allow us all to get a good night's sleep. And about this circle...let me try to determine it's purpose and...potential danger."

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check (1d20+6)[12]

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Agreeing that camp might be the best idea, Sgian sets up camp, but not before checking out the magic circle pointed out to him. After meditation and casting a few incantations, he tries to determine what it is. After his work, he sits down with the others. "My name is Sgian-dubh, a warlock and former Eladrin, now, as you can tell, a shade. I was on an......errand, and these little bastards jumped me. I took a few of them out, but they overwhelmed me in sheer numbers. Gods I hate Kobolds, damn walking lizards. Anyway, gratitude for my freedom."

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana (1d20+10)[17]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #402
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe i can help with this circle, my knowledge about magic rituals is based on a time long ago, and many days since then.

Draziw still looks like a young man, but his voice is old and his words seems to speak of a history hundreds and thousand years ago.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+11)[16] plus
    History of a thousand lifetimes: (1d6)[5]
    Last edited by Leolo; 2012-05-26 at 01:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Spoiler
    Show
    While waiting for Roderick's "Create Campsite" ritual to proc (a great idea, Raus!)...

"My name is Reeve. I'm an ardent who hails from a nearby temple of Moradin, about thirty miles that way." He points to the east. "My concerns are for my people, mostly fellow humans and a large number of dwarves that serve. I grew up with both races' influence. One thing I could not assimilate was their style of combat, so that's why I carry this trusty thing," patting his greatspear. "My leaders instructed me to aid you adventurers in the conquest of this cave; doing so would make these lands safer for my temple. It appears my haste in arriving was for naught, as I was the first one here and, regrettably, captured."

Turning to the shade, he admits, "On this we agree -- the kobolds propagate harm better than most types of creatures. Moradin be praised for this victory."

Addressing the arcane-attuned, he asks, "What have you discovered from the study of this strange circle?"

After the campsite has been made, Reeve says, "Nature spirits indeed do fine work. I suggest we turn in early and keep our fire out. Let's set posts to watch for any further kobolds; I volunteer to be on watch first. Finally, let's get started on the roads as soon as we can. I am of the same mindset as the wizard -- a spy in Winterhaven spells trouble. Underlying all of this is the threat that Kalarel appears to be to these lands."
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-26 at 09:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature check for Create Campsite (1d20+8)[9]

"The ritual placed here seems to help hone the body's movements if one stands on it. I can see it being used to help place a blade where you need it."

Spoiler
    Show
    +1 to attacks if you stand in or on the circle

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the days shadows begin to lengthen and the new found allies finish burying those that fell fighting the kobolds Roderick moves apart from the others and performs a quick ritual. A number of small forest creatures come forth from the underbrush and begin setting up a campsite in the clearing by the river.

With the campsite complete, the adventurer's settle down for the night. Despite the obviousness of the campsite, the night amazingly passes without incident.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can take an extended rest.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh is up before dawn, for the spirits that fuel is powers don't let him sleep a minute longer than he has to. As soon as his body is as rested and revived as it is going to get within a given night, they wake him. He then goes and meditates right at the mouth of the cave, not too far from the others, waiting for them to rise as well. He seems to be closer to his father in the wee morning hours and twilight hours, so that is when he chooses to meditate most often.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #407

Reeve awakens at the first crack of dawn. He'd done enough resting in the caves, and the more rest he took, the less he was doing to thwart the plans of those who would wish his people harm. Sitting opposite from Sgian-dubh, the ardent meditates on thoughts of Moradin, his family and friends, and the path he appears to be on, preparing himself for what's to come. He might not go home for a long time.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    Before retiring to his bedroll, the monk reads from a heavy tome he unbuckles from his belt. In the morning, he faces the rising sun at the first break of dawn and performs simple devotions. He then reads a few more pages of his book, buckles it back to his hip and packs up his sparse equipment. He stands silent, but ready to depart.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

19. - Top - End - #409

Verin awoke fairly early, though a few hours past dawn. He stretched his limbs, then stepped out of the caves into a nearby bush, and shifted back and forth between his various forms a few times, just to keep himself limber and alert.
    That done, he collected his belongings, and searched around the camp for anything interesting as he waited to leave.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know I'm probably not going to find anything, but...
    perception check - (1d20+7)[22]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As soon as the adventurer's have arisen from their beds the same small creatures that created the campsite appear again. This time they quickly take down and pack everything back up until no trace of the campsite remains.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, Vote time, Back to town or in search of Douven

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The adventurer's return to Winterhaven after having defeated the Kobold menace.

The small fields around the walled heart of Winterhaven seem strangely empty. Inside the walls, the few villagers you see walking around appear nervous, pausing to give furtive glances before darting away.

22. - Top - End - #412

"It has been many years since I visited this great city, but I do not remember this feeling of despair so prevalent amongst the townsfolk. Hurry lads, let us meet with the Lord."

Spoiler
    Show
    Might not be a bad idea to make checks as we make our way through town, before we reach the keep.

Perception to see anything out of the ordinary with how those in town are acting...strange hand movements, drawing or sheathing of items, facial expressions, etc.: (1d20)[6]

Streetwise to detect any strangeness from those in town, besides a general skiddishness, as in, how they're moving about and around the buildings, if they're sticking to alleyways, avoiding any one particular area in town, etc. : (1d20+9)[11]

Insight to detect any malice or ill will in our direction: (1d20)[4]

As the group makes our way to the keep, we approach the guard at the front gate. Reeve says, "Good morning sir. We are the sole survivors of a recent raid on the kobold camp outside of town. We request an audience with Lord Padraig, alone, as soon as possible. There are things afoot, and at this time, we don't know who to trust."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy toward the guard: (1d20+9)[11]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-30 at 02:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lord Padraig will probably see you but you should present yourselves at his manor. The guard says while scanning the area outside the walls furtively.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2012-05-31 at 11:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    The monk moves with his companions silently. In his mind, he continues to pray for those they have lost on this war against the kobolds. As he sees the plight of the villagers, he begins to wonder what is wrong and takes a closer look at those around him. As the guard ushers them in, he silently nods and smiles as way of thanks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception, to see details that might hint at what is wrong: (1d20+6)[24]

Insight: (1d20+1)[11] to see what is troubling the townsfolk
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Good man, are you looking for something?", asks Roderick who is noticing the guard's shifty gazes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if I require a roll to see this so just in case.

Insight (1d20+10)[21]

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don’t know... I just feel out of sorts, is all. Like someone walked over my grave, you know? The guard responds to Roderick's question.

27. - Top - End - #417

Reeve puts a hand on his shoulder. "We will heed your advice. Be at ease -- we will find the source of this town's troubles."

He and his allies turned toward the manor. Upon reaching the inner gate, Reeve reiterates to the guards the group's wishes to see Lord Padraig in his home, as soon as possible. He also says, "This eerie feeling is unusual and a problem we aim to solve. Time is of the essence."
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-31 at 12:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian looks around, eyeing everyone that he passes. The hairs stand up on the back on his neck and something seems quite out of place to him. While following the others, Sgian dips into his arcane powers and sends out invisible tendrils of arcane powers, trying to determine if the problem is with magics in any way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana check for any dark arcane powers brooding anywhere in the town or as we get closer in the manor, (1d20+10)[17]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The guard at the inner gate waves you in to the manor grounds. His Lordship was been awaiting your return, I expect he will be glad of some news regarding your expedition.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Buy a strong ale or two after your shift, it always calms my nerves."

Roderick reaches into his coin purse and grabs five gold before placing the money in the guard's hand and rushing away towards the group. His demeanor has been more chipper after escaping certain death.

"So Crane, Verin, I never asked you. What is your business in this city under fear?"