New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

Weeping Crane
    When I needed help, the people of this city provided. When the kobolds grew bolder, I saw my chance to repay them, explains the monk without breaking stride.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

Verin considered his answer for a few moments before responding to Roderick's question. "Mostly," he replied, "I'm just traveling. I'm not great at holding down stable jobs, so I travel around and do whatever work comes my way."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The heroes reach the main door to the manor where they are greeted by a butler in an immaculate black suit who welcomes them before taking them to see Lord Padraig. After ushering them into his lordship's presence, the butler bows and departs.

Lord Padraig stands and gestures for you to take a seat before resuming his seat. I see some of the members of your expedition have not returned with you. What news have you of your quest?

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    Sir, our expedition was beset by a large force of kobolds. The cleric of Bahamut has lost his taste for battle, and Draziw and I return to you alive. The rest are dead. Having said that much, the monk then falls silent. He is not in the habit of talking at length.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #425

"Greetings, my lord," says Reeve as he bows to one knee.

"My name is Reeve and I bring good tidings from Moradin's temple. What the monk says is true. Those here whom you have not met were captured one way or the other by the kobolds. Those whom you sent to clear them out have freed us and I am happy to report the kobold threat has been quelled. If there is any way to send word to my temple of this news, I'd be very gracious."

"A more immediate danger, I fear, to both you and your city, is contained in this note.

Reeve hands the note found at the battle site to Lord Padraig.

"I'm not sure who we can trust. The townsfolk each look like they've awoken from a nightmare! Has anything in town given you reason to be suspicious that a spy is in your midst? It also goes without saying that we must find this Kalarel and stop him. All of the region will be in danger if he succeeds in opening his rift. Orcus," he says as he nearly spits the word out of his mouth, must not see the light of day in this realm.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The end of the kobold menace is welcome news but the cost has been very high. I am sorry to hear of the death of your companions. Lord Padraig rings a small bell on his desk and the butler enters the chamber. Nigel, please bring me the gold to pay these adventurer's for their service. Nigel departs again only to return with a small strong box a moment later, which he then passes to Lord Padraig.

Taking the box, Lord Padraig opens it and rummages inside before withdrawing a small pouch that he places upon the desk before re-sealing the bax and returning it to the butler who once again departs. I have not forgotten our arrangement, in this pouch is 150 gold coins, 25 for each of the members of the original expedition. As only 2 of you have returned, you can do with the other shares as you see fit.

Having dealt with the reward, Lord Padraig takes the note from Reeve and quickly peruses it. I don't know of this Kalarel the note is written by. If the note prooves to be genuin, this could be a greater threat than the Kobolds ever posed.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    The monk accepts the payment and bows in thanks. The kobolds were lead by a goblin. Is this common? I do not know these little races.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

These are the only Kobolds that we have had to deal with in many years. I could not say if this was a common occurance or not.

9. - Top - End - #429

"Hm, it sounds like we don't have a whole lot to go on in regards to Kalarel or the presence of any spies in town. Are there any townsfolk to whom you'd refer us?"

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You could always try the tavern and ask around there or you could talk to Valthrun.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

If there is a spy he needs to send messages to kalarel, either via magic or mundane means. We should ask for someone who regulary buys rare herbs, magical components or has trained birds. Or maybe a merchant or a hunter who is leaving town regulary into the woods.

Draziw has been very quite since they have buried their comrades. Maybe the deva is thinking about the death he can never find or about the effect his own actions had effect on this outcome. But know that those new problem has occurred he focuses his mind again.

The lord is right, we should ask people from the tavern if they know a wizard or someone who can bring can message into the wilderness. And if we found someone ask them about those kobolds and Kalarel.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh, Shade Warlock

Sgian listens to everything said, nods his head when he needs to, and is fairly quiet throughout the whole discussion. Then, when it is suggested to ask around the town, he speaks up. "I will go ask around the town for where-abouts of this spy. I can be very....persuasive." At the last part of his sentence, his lips curl up on one side with a smirk and a fire seems to light in his eyes. "I will find you when I am done and report." Sgian then turns on a heel and starts to ask around for any clues.

Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise check: (1d20+6)[15]
    Intimidate check if need be: (1d20+6)[26]
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

13. - Top - End - #433

"Splendid idea, sir. To the tavern it is, then. Moradin be with you," says Reeve as he takes a bow, one fist clenched against his chest.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roderick follows behind Reeve and leads the conversation to the barkeep about anybody who he has heard frequently and mysteriously delves into the woodlands for long periods of time. If the person wasn't the culprit, maybe he could find information from him instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+11)[22]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    The monk follows his companions in silence, after a curt bow to Lord Padraig. Upon arriving at the bar, the monk's silence persists; instead, he listens and rests his eyes.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #436

Verin remained slightly detached from the group's conversations; he had never been to this particular city before, and he was determined to take in all the sights, sells, and sounds it had to offer.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Bugbear in the Playground

Draziw talks to the merchants and asks who can provide rare herbs or knows someone who travels into the woods sometimes. Maybe a ranger or hunter?

Or is there a wizard in town, some kind of ritualist? Draziw is not really a diplomat, and his newborn body lacks experience with other people. But he still remembers rituals and their components. There are rituals to send a message discretly either by arcane magic or the forces of nature. And maybe he can find out who knows them.

Spoiler
    Show

Streetwise (1d20+1)[11] plus
    Memory of a thousand lifetimes(1d6)[3]

18. - Top - End - #438

Upon reaching the tavern with his allies, Reeve summons the barkeep for some assistance. Keeping his voice low, he asks, "Good sir, might you know of anyone who's familiar with a character named Kalarel?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll on the barkeeper for any extra insider information: (1d20+9)[15]
    Perception roll to see who else is in the tavern and if they have any distinguishing features about them to set them apart: (1d20)[14]
    Streetwise roll to hear any mutterings that would seem out of the ordinary for common townsfolk: (1d20+9)[17]

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The barkeep stands behind the bar polishing a glass, Don't know as I have every heard of anyone with a name as strange as Kalarel.

20. - Top - End - #440

Reeve takes a look over his shoulder and the old man leaning in his chair stuck out like a sore thumb. Grabbing a slip of parchment and a writing utensil, he quickly writes the name "Kalarel". Walking over as unthreateningly as possible, Reeve takes a bow and motions to a nearby chair. "I hope you don't mind if I have a seat, sir. My companions and I have had a long walk today. You seem like you've seen a lot of life. Mind if I pick your brain a bit?"

After waiting for any positive acknowledgment, Reeve leans in, slides the scribbled slip of paper to him, and continues: "My friends and I have recently come across the name written on that parchment. We're unsure what he means to the well-being of the surrounding area but it's hard to believe it could be anything good. The townsfolk scurry around like roaches. There's evil afoot and, by Moradin, it must be stopped. What does this name mean to you?"
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-12 at 09:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sitting at a table in the corner of the room, the older gentleman looks up as Reeve approaches. Taking the note, he glances at it. Doesn't mean anything to me sonny. I don't know anyone or of anyone going by that name. What's this about anyway?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

After having no luck finding out anything, but getting some stress-release thanks so a few people's faces, Sgian walks into the last pub on his list. There he finds the rest of his party already speaking with all the usual suspects. Thanking the gods that he didn't have to talk to anyone else, he walked up to the bar and ordered a wine, waiting for his party to get done with their questions for others, and ask him ones instead.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roderick

Thinking about his next step, Roderick had an idea as the Warlock entered the pub and sat down.

"I'll be back in a half hour.", he said walking past.

Approaching the guards in the front gate, he hailed the guard that was troubled earlier.

Hello again. I was wondering if you could answer a couple questions I have? Have you, or any guards normally patrolling the front gates, seen any individuals coming in and out of the city more often than what is normal? Also, does one by the name Kalarel strike a bell?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy w/ Words of Friendship (1d20+16)[33]

24. - Top - End - #444

"Ahh, that's unfortunate to hear,"remarked Reeve disappointedly. "But look around. Eyes dart to and fro no matter where you are in town. People are scared here. Are there any strange happenings here in town or around it that would hint at something otherworldly happening?"

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The guard looks at Roderick kind of strangely. Everyone passes through these gates, some of the farmers pass through everyday to bring their wares to the market. Aint never heard of no Kalarel either.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2012-06-18 at 08:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Something’s changed in the air. Somewhere, a door has opened . . . and it’s dark behind that door! At least, that’s the dream I had , and I still feel unsettled by it. I don’t know why everyone else is acting so strangely. Elian replies to Reeves querry.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2012-06-18 at 08:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447

Reeve sits for a second, pondering, rubbing his chin. Looking briefly around the bar, he then asks the elder man, "Most foreboding. The rift from my note and the darkness in your dream may be one and the same! Do you know of any magic users in this town? I fear my knowledge of the arcane is a bit...limited. But it is imperitive that we study the connection between your vision and the words written on this parchment."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You might try talking to Valthrun, he may know about what concerns you magically.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roderick

Disappointed in the lack of information, Roderick thanks the guard and returns to the bar.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian hear talk of a magic user from the old man and this perks his ear up. "Where is this Valthrun? Is he in the town?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally