New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

He is probably in his tower. You can't miss it, tallest structure in town.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh, Shade Warlock

Without so much as a word, Sgian finishes his drink and leaves, presumably going to the tower of which the old man spoke. Walking out of the Inn, he closes his eyes, but keeps walking. He seems to be able to navigate the town even with his eyes closed, and to anyone looking at him seems to be muttering to himself. After a few minutes of this bizarre behavior, he opens his eyes and keeps heading to the tower.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-06-21 at 02:54 PM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

Reeve watches Sgian seem to wander blindly out of the tavern. Rolling his eyes, he pockets the note written earlier and picks out a gold piece from his coinpurse, placing it on the table. Thank you for your time, good sir. Drink's on me. Hopefully soon things will be a bit cheerier around this town. Reeve flashes a small grin and stands up and taps Roderick, Verin, and Crane on the shoulder, motioning them to stand. The shade seems to know where he's going. Why don't we follow? Keep an eye out for Draziw in the streets. We could use his expertise.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-21 at 03:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    I know a little of wizardry as well; I was trained somewhat in the arcane arts, but my education was... cut short, replies Crane, following them out of the building. My knowledge is less theoretical and more practical, as a result.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As you approach the 5 story tower, you notice that there are only lights in the top two floors. You find that everything on the lower levels is locked accept for a single stairway which leads you to the fourth floor. When you knock, the door is opened by a man in long flowing robes with white hair.

Who are you and why have you disturbed my rest?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian looks at the man, "We come to seek your guidance in a matter. You are very skilled in the arcane arts, and we seek knowledge about a rift." Then he glances at Reeve, "Show him the letter."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #457

Reeve hands to the wizard the note found at the battlefield.

This was found on the body of a slain goblin chieftain not too far from Winterhaven. The door described in this note sounds eerily similar to a vision seen by Elian, one of the townsfolk with whom I spoke in the tavern. Are you aware of any rifts having opened nearby or any strange sources of magic suddenly appearing?

In any case, this Kalarel must be stopped. Otherwise, not only are the citizens of Winterhaven in danger, but my fellow priests and clergymen at the Temple of Moradin.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A rift you say? Someone is trying to open this door? Oh dear. Valthrun steps back from the door and gestures for you to enter.

This does not bode well! If servants of Orcus are active in the area, they are likely interested in nothing less than re-opening the rift! This is terrible! If death cultists unseal the rift, a tide of undead could descend on Winterhaven. Today, we have no empire to call for aid. They would overwhelm us and establish a kingdom of death in this world.

After shutting the door behind you, Valthrun quickly pulls a few books from his vast collection and quickly checks a few references. My books and scrolls tell me of a keep not far from here that was built by the old empire, Nerath. Not to watch for marauders, though. No. It was built over the site of a rift to the Shadowfell, a place of darkness and shadows! Not all of the Shadowfell is evil, but this rift apparently connects to an unholy sanctuary of Orcus, the demon lord of the undead. Skeletons, ghouls, and stranger, fouler creatures crawled through the opening into the light of day. The empire destroyed the undead and then sealed the rift and built a keep over the location to watch over it and contain its threat. I thought that was the end of the story. Now, I’m not so sure. The villagers think goblins lair in the ruin, so they avoid the area. If goblins have taken over the ruins, they haven’t bothered the farms or village.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2012-06-22 at 12:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459

Then this keep is where we will go. Any goblins we meet along the way will be vanquished. Perhaps this is where the mysterious Kalarel is hiding, no doubt trying to break the seal as we speak! What do you know of him?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I know nothing of this Kalarel, so I can't help you there.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

"If the rift is in the keep, then the keep is where we need to go. Come let us be on our way." Sgian looks around to the others to make sure they agree.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    We must find Draziw, and then we can depart. Destroying these cultists would be an ideal way to repay my debt to the kindness of Winterhaven, replies the monk, bowing to Valthrun in respect. I am ready to depart at any time.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

13. - Top - End - #463

It's settled then. What direction is the keep from town? Any notable landmarks nearby?

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

"Also,", asking the old wizard, "is there anything else we need to know about these goblins that have moved into the keep? Goblins are not ambitious creatures unless they have a leader, is any leader known to you of these little vermin?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

15. - Top - End - #465
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roderick

"Ah, a journey to try a new song I composed. One to both entertain and hasten our steps."

Roderick removed the lute on his back and tuned the strings eagerly.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I know nothing of the current inhabitants of the keep but I can tell you a little of its past. The old man pauses to collect his thoughts before continuing. The villagers avoid Shadowfell Keep. Some leave it alone because all ancient ruins have a disturbing feeling about them, a feeling composed of lingering
    memories and unknown mysteries. Some say the place is haunted. Whatever the reason behind its solitude, one fact is clear. Within two short decades after the collapse of the Nareth Empire, Shadowfell Keep was abandoned
    and left to fall apart and decay. It was on a grisly night about eighty years ago that the commander of the keep garrison, Sir Keegan, put into motion the events that led to the keep’s downfall.

Perhaps the Shadow Rift’s malign influence is too strong to resist. Maybe Sir Keegan was an insane monster driven by demons we may never understand. Whatever the case, at the stroke of midnight on that fateful day, Sir Keegan began to systematically slaughter every resident of the keep. His own wife and children were first to fall to his blade, then his trusted advisors, and finally many of the soldiers under his command. Sir Keegan was too skilled for any one soldier to defeat, yet eventually the garrison managed to respond with an organized defense. Although many brave soldiers died, they managed to drive the mad knight into the passages beneath the keep and finally dispatch him.

The keep became notorious for a time. As one of the last bastions of the fallen empire, there was no one to order it back into service. So, it was abandoned, feared for a time, and eventually, more or less forgotten. An earthquake a few years later collapsed the upper towers and walls, and turned the place into a ruin of tumbled stone. Rumors persist of great treasures buried beneath the keep, yet few have dared explore the passages over the year. Sir Keegan’s ghost is said to roam the corridors beneath the ruins, wailing in grief over the tragedy of his life. The people of Winterhaven avoid the place, and the mere mention of Shadowfell Keep is considered bad luck by many of the farmers and villagers.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After waiting a moment for his words to sink in, As for the location of the keep, just take the road north of town, you can't miss it.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh listens carefully to the old wizard's words and thinks about everything he said. Making a note to keep this lore in mind, Sgian nods at the wizard, which is about as much as he will get for thanks from the Warlock, and states, "Well, let us be off then."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #469

All at once Reeve's head is swimming as he grips his greatspear tightly to steady himself. I've never faced anything like this. Humans murdering their own family? Ghosts? My spear knows only the taste of kobold flesh, not insubstantial fluff!

Blinking a few times, Reeve gathers himself and humbly bows. Thank you for sharing this account with us. We will certainly be on our guard as we venture to the keep. Hopefully soon our lands will have more to smile about.

But Moradin's brought me here for a purpose,, thought Reeve once more, ...so I must have the strength to continue.

Reeve looks his companions over and smiles, putting on his best brave face. Well, friends, ready to do a bit of spring cleaning?, slamming the butt of his spear against the concrete.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-25 at 06:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Shortly after leaving Valthrun's tower, the companions once again set forth from Winterhaven. The step out onto the King's Road and turn to the north, the wide road leads off into the distance.

After walking for a few short hours they come upon a narrow track leading into the underbrush. Since the keep’s destruction, few travelers use the road and no one has bothered to maintain the path. The road is overgrown with grass, ferns, and small trees. Ahead, the narrow track widens into a clearing. Great piles of shattered stone blocks and scorched timbers dominate the clearing, sprawling out from its center to the edge of the woods. No plants grow among the ruins or within the clearing. The ground is bare dirt, and although the forest has begun to reclaim the path leading here, it has not intruded into the ruins of Shadowfell Keep.

Yet clearly someone has tampered with the ruins. In the center of the debris, stone blocks and timbers have been gathered into a pile. Someone has cleared a path through the rubble and pulled aside the wreckage to reveal a stone staircase. The staircase descends into darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gillric; 2012-06-27 at 10:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian, along with the parry, come upon these ruins of the keep. Getting an odd feeling from them, as one might, he starts muttering to himself and casts out invisible arcane feelers, trying to determine if there is any strong arcane presence, and if so, where and what it is. Once he does this, he blends into the shadows, while still keeping up with his party.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Check (1d20+10)[28] - Want to check to see if there is any particularly powerful magic source somewhere in the keep/ruins. And if so, round-about where it is coming from and what the source is, i.e. arcane, necrotic, radiant, etc.

Stealth Check (1d20+7)[12] - To be, well, sneaky and hidden

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

22. - Top - End - #472

Reeve, keeping his voice low, says, Sgian looks like he knows what he's doing. Keep your eyes peeled for any activity. This looks like a setup.

Gripping his spear, he peers into the clearing, looking for movement or lurking creatures behind the tower or rubble, as well as ast the tower into the brush, looking for movement in the grass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to notice movement: (1d20)[9]
    Dungeoneering or Perception (both rolls are the same) to see if the rocks were cleared with machinery, by larger creatures, or by numerous smaller creatures, trying to specifically notice any significant tracks in the dirt: (1d20)[16]
    Nature to see if any of the surrounding plantlife has been tainted by anything undead or necrotic: (1d20)[12]

23. - Top - End - #473

As the group emerges from the clearing and walks along the path, drawing nearer to the stairs, Reeve says, Something is watching us, but I don't think it's outside. Sir Keegan might already know of our presence, or perhaps Kalarel is scrying our location. Either way, be on your guard. Those rocks also appear to have been moved by manual labor.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Dwarf in the Playground

Roderick

Roderick removes his bow and nocks an arrow while remaining silent and wary of any potential ambush.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception to notice any movement ahead (1d20+8)[23]

"I don't see anything dangerous ahead."
    Last edited by Rausdower; 2012-06-28 at 02:24 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

25. - Top - End - #475

Then let's move inside with haste. But be on your guard -- I fear the enemy's already prepared for us. Reeve motions to Sgian that the coast appears clear and to meet them at the stairs however he saw best.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Sgian-dubh sees the hand signals, and moves closer as well, keeping pace with his party, making sure not to lose them. Feeling something is amiss, he calls upon his demonic magics, readying them in case an attack should happen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying Eldritch Blast, bascially if anything jumps out from a corner(enemies anyway), he will be shooting it.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #477

Veris was on alert for anything that might cause harm to himself or his companions. He was vigilant for any sign of any sort of hostile creature or trap. Just in case anyone or anything decided to attack, he called on some of the magic he possessed and kept it at the ready.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check -(1d20+7)[19]
    Ready action - Will use Dark Beckoning as soon as any creature within 5 squares shows definite signs of being hostile to me or my allies.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Weeping Crane
    Silent as a ghost, the robed monk follows his companions, the minor glamor on his robes giving his crossed arms the appearance of folded wings.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As you step out of the edge of the woods and make your way across the clearing a deathly hush falls on the area. Birds, insects, every animal imaginible, even the wind has fallen silent as you tread the ground of the clearing. A sensation of cold crawls along your spines and you feel is if you are being watched even though you know that no one is there. You reach the top of a flight of stairs descending down into the earth.

30. - Top - End - #480

So this is what it feels like to step into the realm of evil, thought Reeve solemnly as he and Crane walked side-by-side toward the mouth of the stairs. Ready your weapons, friends. Down we go.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming no one else has anything to do or say, let's proceed in. Shadow_Elf, you might want Crane up front with me...Reeve isn't quite a tank yet, still need a few more feats
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-29 at 10:32 AM.