New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: More Moe Is Needed: Let's Play Moemon: LeafGreen, Thread II

Will she? You're the author, tell us? I've always like Giovanni, and if you consider the Manga to be canon, in truth, he's actually a good guy (HGSS sort of makes this Game canon too. Or hints at it at least).

And yuck, Graveler is UGLY. But now that I think about it, how is it you never had a Geodude?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I haven't played that part, so I don't know how she'll do. I write and play at the same time, thereabouts, so I'm usually at the exact point where the chapter ends when the chapter ends.

This universe has a lot more evil gym leaders than good ones, I've noticed, and a bunch more that are out-and-out neutral. Basically, the power structure in the moemon-verse is shifted dramatically away from good. I'd only say that one out of four of the elite 4 even *wants* to be good, and only 3 or so out of the 8 gym leaders actually are good. Even the neutral ones are pretty nasty to their rivals. This is probably because they have a lot more power, and you know what they say about absolute power. As we approach endgame, and as we've been approaching it, I've been hoping to make this idea clear thematically.

Giovanni's the only one not interested in just mindlessly (or fearfully) perpetuating the system, though he's fully comfortable abusing it to avoid reprisal.
    ...I'm not sure how well I really communicated this version of Giovanni's goals. Well, this next fight will give me one last chance, but I'm not sure how honest he's ever being about his goals. I'd say his goals are maybe 50% propoganda, 50% sincere. Maybe it was different once.

GAH! There's so much to fit in, and I'm running out of space! I get the feeling that the post-elite 4 chapters are going to be wierd, as I try to pace out all my beats, my resolutions, the other legendary fights, all that jazz with little actual in-game content. My brain, when turned to this project, is a mess of "oh, but where are you going to fit in that? When's the best time for that bit? Who is Spike going to pick, anyway? Assuming everyone lives through Elite 4. Will you have time for Mellow? Or Ala? And DON'T FORGET TO SET UP ANGEL, YOU FOOL! And what about that Oak subplot you've had going? And are you really at the elite 4 without a glimpse of Bruno other than Angel's original death? And what about that bit? Can the story run without it? It's a late addition: do you have time to be adding more stuff? Cut, you fool, cut!" Funtimes. Fuuunnntimes.

Also, it's because geodudes are in caves, which have a high density of unique pokemon. Same with Zubat. So we say "we can get a geodude later" and thus never do.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-05-31 at 09:38 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Well, I haven't played that part, so I don't know how she'll do. I write and play at the same time, thereabouts, so I'm usually at the exact point where the chapter ends when the chapter ends.

This universe has a lot more evil gym leaders than good ones, I've noticed, and a bunch more that are out-and-out neutral. Basically, the power structure in the moemon-verse is shifted dramatically away from good. I'd only say that one out of four of the elite 4 even *wants* to be good, and only 3 or so out of the 8 gym leaders actually are good. Even the neutral ones are pretty nasty to their rivals. This is probably because they have a lot more power, and you know what they say about absolute power. As we approach endgame, and as we've been approaching it, I've been hoping to make this idea clear thematically.

Giovanni's the only one not interested in just mindlessly (or fearfully) perpetuating the system, though he's fully comfortable abusing it to avoid reprisal.
    ...I'm not sure how well I really communicated this version of Giovanni's goals. Well, this next fight will give me one last chance, but I'm not sure how honest he's ever being about his goals. I'd say his goals are maybe 50% propoganda, 50% sincere. Maybe it was different once.

GAH! There's so much to fit in, and I'm running out of space! I get the feeling that the post-elite 4 chapters are going to be wierd, as I try to pace out all my beats, my resolutions, the other legendary fights, all that jazz with little actual in-game content. My brain, when turned to this project, is a mess of "oh, but where are you going to fit in that? When's the best time for that bit? Who is Spike going to pick, anyway? Assuming everyone lives through Elite 4. Will you have time for Mellow? Or Ala? And DON'T FORGET TO SET UP ANGEL, YOU FOOL! And what about that Oak subplot you've had going? And are you really at the elite 4 without a glimpse of Bruno other than Angel's original death? And what about that bit? Can the story run without it? It's a late addition: do you have time to be adding more stuff? Cut, you fool, cut!" Funtimes. Fuuunnntimes.

Also, it's because geodudes are in caves, which have a high density of unique pokemon. Same with Zubat. So we say "we can get a geodude later" and thus never do.
    Actually only 4 Gym Leaders were good in the beginning, so 3 isn't too far off.

And don't stress yourself now. If some guys die in the E4, well, that's a shame, but you still have your reserves, right? Or is a TPK a Nuzlocke fail?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. A TPK is a fail, game over, end of LP. Sayonara.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

TPK is a fail, bad ending unlocked.

But anything less is not. Seed's heart would be crushed if all her beloved teammates died, but she'd be able to weather it (and Azula probably wouldn't die permanantly if she didn't die with the others, or if one of the others survived even if she fell, except for in case of plot) if there was even just one left, and therefore draw from the reserves.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-06-01 at 04:22 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Id say this is what soft resets are for, but that sort of ruins the point of a Nuzlocke ... Does Moemon exist for other Regions?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Id say this is what soft resets are for, but that sort of ruins the point of a Nuzlocke ... Does Moemon exist for other Regions?
    There technically exists an emerald version (I've been looking, since I've been considering my spin-off thing), but frankly it's not very good and is lacking a lot of the polish of Fizzmaister's moemon LG. It's got a teleportation system between towns which feels like cheating (there's a version without it, but still), the gender ratios are unaffected, some of the sprites weren't even swapped...

Anyway, short answer: yes, but it's not as good.

For my LP, I'm going to try and make one myself (I have no idea what I'm doing so if someone else happened to make one in the meantime I'd happily use that instead), but it'll take forever -_-
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kopaka View Post
    For my LP, I'm going to try and make one myself (I have no idea what I'm doing so if someone else happened to make one in the meantime I'd happily use that instead), but it'll take forever -_-
    Ask Fizzmeister of course. Though you're gonna want someone for sprites.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

TPK is a fail, bad ending unlocked.
    I thought the rules allowed you to continue if you had Pokemon in your PC?
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Normally, yes. When I started, yes. But by this point, if Seed lost her whole team in one swoop, it'd be too much for her to keep going on with. I've learned that about her now, and the rules have changed to reflect that.

Basically, as long as Seed doesn't black out, then it's not game over.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-06-01 at 09:37 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I've always like Giovanni, and if you consider the Manga to be canon, in truth, he's actually a good guy (HGSS sort of makes this Game canon too. Or hints at it at least).
    I prefer Giovanni as the magnanimous villain type. The kind who knows when to bow out gracefully, yet somehow still seems to be just as smug as before... and no less a villain for any of it. The kind of Giovanni who plots your demise as a Persian walks over and puts its head under his hand for him to pet it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

About emerald, I was planning on working on it. I got the magic doors done way long ago, but nothing else. I'm still planning on doing it, but at the moment it is behind: school work that I procrastinated on, finishing touches on LG, lol grad school, find work. A few other projects fell out of the picture so emerald got bumped up. Don't expect it anytime soon.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

I'm working on the chapter, but there are some slight delays. I've been kind of sick recently, and the work I've been meaning to do on my senior thesis is starting to pile up, and it's causing some problems.

Also, I'm debating about folding in the "Act 2 bonus chapter" in with the end of Act 2, the coming chapter. The advantage is that this chapter'll be pretty short, but with a lot of talking, and the bonus chapter would make it longer...
    With even more talking and a font-color shift midway. The disadvantage will be that I don't get to do a bit of drama I've been planning for ages.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

I'm working on the chapter, but there are some slight delays. I've been kind of sick recently, and the work I've been meaning to do on my senior thesis is starting to pile up, and it's causing some problems.

Also, I'm debating about folding in the "Act 2 bonus chapter" in with the end of Act 2, the coming chapter. The advantage is that this chapter'll be pretty short, but with a lot of talking, and the bonus chapter would make it longer...
    With even more talking and a font-color shift midway. The disadvantage will be that I don't get to do a bit of drama I've been planning for ages.
    Aw. Hope you get better soon. I personally don't mind if we have to wait a bit longer on this chapter, so please don't stress yourself.

I vote for two chapters. If you've been planning a scene or something for a while, then it's only fair that you get to write it the way you want to. (Also, I happen to have a fondness for drama and suspense, and now I'm extremely curious as to what this 'bit of drama' is.)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 65: The Final Badge
    Spoiler
    Show

"What's your plan, Mistress?"
    "Why plan? I sweep, Terra assists."
    "Wait a second...This is Giovanni. That nidorino of his is probably evolved by now...And we've got a score to settle."
    "Right. Which is one of the reasons we need to talk strategy...Spike. I don't think you should do this."
    He stared at me as if I had just stabbed him in the back. Sorry, Spike, but it's true.
    "What, you think I can't take him?"
    "...To be frank...That's not a risk I want to take. I'm not willing to risk your life for your ego."
    "But Zapdos --"
    "That wasn't a quick-draw match. I don't know where you got the impression that you're John Wayne and you're going to be the fastest gun in the west... But you're out-gunned."
    "Out --"
    "Yes. If he's smart, he'll be using a ground attack. That'll hit you badly -- especially since he's a ground-type, too. You'll be hitting with...Ice Beam. Which'll hurt, but not as much as his will hurt you."
    "So I'll re-learn dig! I --"
    "Yes, because in a quick-draw contest, we really want a gun that takes two shots to fire."
    "I have no idea what you're talking about!"
    "I just don't want you getting killed! Not so close..."
    "You wouldn't be doing all this reasoning...If you weren't giving me a choice. I know you: you don't want to make me do things."
    "...Well...No."
    "So I'm telling you my choice. I'm fighting that fight: I'll be OK, boss."
    He gives me a thumbs-up I don't feel. I've never given them an order they can't refuse... But this time, I may happen.
    "If I want, I will pull you back on that."
    "I won't give you a reason to want it: count on it!"
    ...I hope not.

"I can't let that happen..."
    "..."

In the end, we gear up and head back. Back to the final showdown against the most evil person I've met on this journey...Against the head of Team Rocket, Giovanni himself!

"Welcome, Seed. I was hoping to run into you again. Welcome, to my lair."

"Not if I stop you."
    "Ah, yes...Yes, I won't deny it. You're a very powerful enemy. And that...is exactly why I wanted to speak with you again."
    "Que?"
    "You're young. Inexperienced. Innocent and well-meaning, often to the point of foolishness..."
    "Enough of your insults!"
    He held up a hand and laughed.
    "Let me finish. Despite that, you are truly a formidable opponent. I was wrong about you, Miss Seed. You're not to be bowled over, like those other league fools."
    ...This isn't how I expected this to go. Maybe he sees me drop my guard, because he begins to smile.
    "And I also see that you are a person who has more desire than anyone to be sympathetic to our cause."
    "Your cause?"
    "This world sickens you. The strong beat down the weak, and the weak don't even know how they are beaten! All Team Rocket wants...Is to tip the scales in favor of those poor disenfranchised men who --"
    And like that, my hesitation shatters.
    "Who would steal from the other 'little guy'! Who'd murder pokemon! Who'd molest and murder my little sister!"
    "That was...what she was hiding..."
    "Ooh. Yes. We haven't always dealt...fairly, I admit. And... on that matter... I am sorry. I protected your father not because I condoned his actions, but because there is one thing I understand: a commander must be loyal to his men, first and foremost. To protect them, even against their own crimes."
    "Not. Buying. It."
    "We simply want a better world: and if my men have acted with undue rage against that world, can you not have the heart to understand it? At being mad at a world, at a society, at a system... That's punished you, that's punished innocents, simply for getting the short straw?"
    "..."

"Ah, but as I said. You are a fierce enemy. In an earlier time, you'd have been heralded as a goddess of pokemon warfare... But enough romanticizing. I would rather, and find it in all our interests... If we not be enemies."
    "Wha? How would that be in my benefit?"
    "I would teach you to use your abilities. There must be so many questions: ones you haven't been able to ask anyone else..."
    ...Yeah, there have been a lot of those... But there's no way I'd work for him!
    "As my apprentice and second-in-command, you'd be able to control their actions much more directly...And one day...You'd inherit it all, Team Rocket and Viridian Gym both...And whatever it is you wanted to do, you'd have my support."
    "I don't need your support. I just need to beat you."
    "For that silly wish the pokemon talk about? Don't believe everything they tell you... We've all tried, once. Such a thing...Cannot happen. There's nothing there: Mew is dead, they're all just worshipping empty dreams."
    "I can give you your heart's desire far better than any fantasy. Your mother's not been very well, after all that's happened, right? I bet a real therapist, one that wouldn't just throw pills at her, would offer her some comfort...As would, of course, living in a nice mansion in a busy area, convenient for shopping...How does Celadon sound?"
    "You won't tempt me with money!"

"No. Those are just fringe benefits. You want what you've always wanted. Justice... Well, you can have it."
    "What?"
    "Shocking new evidence would emerge, calling for a retrial... Was he really insane? Or was he what we know him to be... A sick man who was too afraid to face getting caught?"
    "What are you saying?"
    "He wouldn't last long in jail, of course... A sickly criminal, a white-collared child molester and killer? Well, it wouldn't matter what would have happened after. The law would see him punished."
    "You're not serious."
    "I am. I think that securing your loyalty is ... Well, he's been rewarded for his loyalty enough. I can arrange it all. Your choice of judge, jury...your choice of prison -- heck: if it satisfies you, I'll even let you pick which burly, affection-starved man with rough hands buys him for a pack of cigarettes before he's shanked."
    "...I- I'm not..."
    "But maybe that's not enough. Maybe you want something more direct..."
    "Direct?"
    He takes a small black box out of his pocket, and puts it in my hand.
    "Go ahead. Open it."
    I remove the lid. Inside this incredibly fine box is a small syringe filled with a clear liquid.
    "It's a fast-acting, difficult to detect neurotoxin. I'm told its rather painful... And I have his room in the hospital. He lays there, your sister's murderer... And you have, through me, the power to get justice: the justice you've wanted since the moment you saw them there. No one, not even the cameras, will acknowledge you were there. Justice, close and personal. With no negative consequences."
    I stare at it for a long time.
    I've wanted him dead. I want him dead. I hate that he's alive, that science can rebuild his face, that in 10 or 20 years he'll have moved on with his pathetic, lousy life, and I'll still be waiting for him to get what's coming to him!
    I hate that he had to be my dad.
    And I've worked so hard that people like him don't get their way...And there he goes. Getting his way.

This...This choice in my hand...

"This isn't justice. It's murder. I'm taking the earth badge -- and I'm beating you to do it!"

He sighs as if disappointed.

"Let's do this."

"Oh, he's new. What happened to that Gyrados?"
    "... jellyfish accident."
    "...That's just sad."
    "I know..."

[color=darkslateblue]"It's no good comparing me to her: I'm pulling my own wieght!"
    "Right! Enough banter! Show him what you've got, Kai!"

So far, so good.

Oh, wow. Yeah. That's the exact sort of speed and attack I was worried about.
    "Let's keep going, Kai!"
    "You think that's tough? You haven't seen tough yet!"

The downside of the fragile speedster...Is on display here.

Kai takes her down nice and easy... So far, this has been a pretty simple match.
    I'm just waiting for...that.

And there it is.
    "Looks like I'm up."
    "Spike!"
    "Hmph. This is why it's better to have a firm hand. It's beautiful in theory, a truly cooperative effort... But the fact remains: the world isn't made for such pretty things. When you're older, you'll see that."
    "...Spike, kick his ass."

Giovanni's Nidoking: "So...back for round 2...This time, punk...I WILL CRUSH YOU. I HAVE TRAINED TO BE ON THE GYM TEAM, JUST TO DEFEAT YOU!"
    "And we'll see...Which of us is the better path..."

That's when Terra appeared, shaking out of her pokeball.

"Don't waste your heart...On such a worthless question. I will fight him."
    "Stay out of this!"
    G.'s Nidoking: "I can take you both! JUST SHUT UP AND FIGHT!"

"...Which of you is superior. That is something I don't think even needs answering, even if you were to lose this fight, the answer would not change..."
    G.'s Nidoking: "IT WOULD CHANGE NOTHING BECAUSE IT IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN! FIIIIGGHT ME!"

"Shut up, you overmuscled waste of space. I am speaking to Spike.
    I couldn't care less if you're a nidoking, or know how to judge you as such. You are our protector. I am your teammate...I cannot allow you to fall derelict in your duty of protecting ChuChu's heart and...
    ...Besides...I think I deserve to protect my right to rub this in your face, don't you think?"

She smiled, and Spike shook his head, a big smile on his face.

"Listen, man, I can't argue with that. I'm outgunned."
    "Yaaaaay!"
    "Glad you see things our way."

G. Nidoking: "YEAH, RUN AWAY! I'LL JUST SMASH THIS BRAINIAC!"
    He brings his fists down and shakes the earth.

"Terra, I've got your back! Keep going!"
    "I have no intention of losing... To someone like that."
    G. Nidoking: "Oh, yeah? Whatcha gonna do about --"

"Psychic."

"Good work, Y'all."

"You know what really bothered me about your offer, Giovanni? You thought it would work, because you thought that I was just like you, that everyone was just like you. A dead person is a 'negative consequence.' Even someone like that. That's the difference between someone like you, who says meaningless tripe about justice..."

"And someone like me, who believes in it."

Giovanni: "I can't deny that I've been defeated."

Giovanni: "I'm sure it'll be a fight for the ages. No one saw you coming: oh, Oak's other apprentice, him, we've watched like a hawk since he was 4... But the little girl with the haughty eyes, the white-collar bloodline, the air of oncoming tragedy? No one gave you a thought. Our mistake.
    ...I don't know how you got this power. Whatever anyone else says, it's not random."

"Your point?”
    ”I look forward to it. To the day when you use it to smash the world to bits, the way you’ve done to me.”

"I betrayed their trust."

"...Really?"
    I took down Team Rocket? I took down Team Rocket!
    No more pokemon murders by organized thugs, or black-clad thieves...It won't change the whole world, but it's a start.

"You've proven to me it's been far too long."

"And consider my offer. You'd be the perfect place...to begin again one day."

And with that, he walks out, whistling a jaunty tune.
    I so want to punch his smug, smug head.

Over pizza at the pokemon center, we look at the trainer card. With all 8 badges pinned on, it glitters in the light.

"We've done it. All 8 Crests, and 3 Great Spirits."
    "Yaaaay! We did it!"
    "YOU'VE COME FAR...THANK YOU."

"You guys did all the hard work...So thank you, too."
    "You're not mad about earlier, are you?"
    "...I could be, but why be a downer? We've done it!"

We all cheer and wave our drinks.

"Just a little bit more, and we'll be able to see about that wish. And then... I'll get my sister back."

The entire room goes silent. All eyes turn to me, lit up on the inside.

After what feels like an eternity sitting there, my soda resting on the edge of my bottom lip:
    "Your...the one that was killed?"

"...Is something wrong with that? It's not as if I ever had another."

Azula fumbles for a moment, her cool exterior cracking.

"IT'S NO GOOD. NOT TELLING HER."

"Telling me what?"

"...Even if we received a granted wish...A wish like that..."
    "JUST SPILL."
    "...Would be impossible."

I stare at her. The tempurature of my blood plummets, until I feel full of ice.
    Azula wouldn't lie to me... But back then...

"You said 'any wish.' You said!"

"Any wish within the power of a pokemon. While restoring the life of a pokemon, even one lost to the aether, is easy..."
    "...You...You're joking."
    "She's not. As ignorant as humans are of pokemon, pokemon are twice so of humans. Where do they come from? Where does a human's life go when they die? Do they even have what we could call a soul? Why can they do things they do not understand, or --"
    "Shut up! S-stop telling me the only thing I want is worthless!"
    They stared, stunned.

"It isn't...It's just impossible. I wish I had known. I wish you had...some other request that could be granted."

She tries to touch my hand and I bat hers away. Something splashes and I realize I've moved without thinking, I've dropped my soda and it's pooled and bubbled around my feet.

"Well, I don't! How dare you lead me on like that..."

So close. It was all...

I actually believed... I wipe my face off, and leave it sitting there in my hand.

"Mistress..."

"What was all that hoping for? It was all worthless...And all these stupid bird fights, and all that trouble... It was all for nothing..."

"It wasn't worthless."

I remember something Azula said once, that it was possible that the pokemon with the trainer whose wish was granted...would also get a wish. For some reason, I hate it right now.

"No, of couuurse not! As long as you get what you want, it doesn't matter that I've wasted my heart on this! That I almost had her in my arms -- but it's all a lie! As long as Azula's queen of the world!"

She reels back, and even I can see I went too far.
    Stupid. Stupid. Taking your anger out on her like that, just because you were stupid enough...
    I take a step back, too, the ruined carpet squishing at my heels.

"...I'm sorry, Azula. I... I gotta go clear my head."

I take two more steps back, and then I run. I run, and the streets of Viridian gives way to dust and grass, and the tall grass whips around my legs and scratches them to bits as I run. I run until I can't keep going, and running through my head:

Stupid. Stupid.
    There's nothing you can do, not even one.
    There's only one rule in every stupid, airy story about wishes. 'You can't bring people back.' Couldn't you even remember that? No, of course not. Too blinded by... by what? Guilt? Well, don't you deserve it? Isn't it your fault?
    Didn't you learn? Your heart's just something to get smashed.

I look up and realize I've reached the water around Pallet town. Back where it all started, alone again and failed again.

...I've never told anyone this, but...After it happened, one night, I went down into the kitchen and got a steak knife. I didn't do anything...I just looked at it. I just looked at it, and my wrist, and I thought about it for a long time.
    I don't know why I didn't. Still don't. Can't look at a knife without thinking about that night, without thinking about thinking about how easy the motion would have been. And how I didn't. How I couldn't. It's a weird feeling in the center of my stomach.

Today, I looked at the sea and felt that feeling, all over again. I don't think I'll ever forget.

I don't know what to do anymore.

End of Act 2

Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to do things a little differently for this one.
    For starters, Kai's trial period is up, so it's time to decide our Elite 4 Party formally.

For second, since this is probably the last large-scale training session, I'm letting y'all pick twelve. If there's a pertenent pokemon subplot, I may get back to it later...but don't count on it. If you want it, vote!

For thirds, you guys get to pick what levels the team and the 12 leveled-up reserves will be for the Elite 4 match. Those two can be seperate numbers.

For fourth, I'll be spreading these out a bit, over the next few chapters before the Elite 4. For the sake of it.

See you in a little while, in the start of act 3: the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by Deme; 2011-06-07 at 11:11 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Chant it with me:

Bring back Rya!

Bring back Rya!

Bring back Rya!

Bring back Rya!

Bring back Rya!

As for what team to beat the elite 4 with, I'd say you've already got a pretty good team for it. You have at least one pokemon that counters each type of pokemon the E4 specializes in, and you've got counters for all of Gary's pokemon. I say, make a few changes to the move sets, bring back Rya(!), and level them up to level 60, maybe 65, and you're good to go.

As for side-plots. Hmmm.

• Leafe and Helga.
    • I'm wondering if Lila's stint as official Pokemon catcher is coming to an end, what with the Elite 4 coming up.
    • TopPercent needs to be among the top percent of the reserves.
    • Mellow needs a last bit of character development I think.
    • Pheobe needs to discover her true talent lies in her singing.
    • Jasmine could always use a bit more character development.
    • Erika and Terra? Maaaaaybe.
    • Tanith needs more character development.
    • Jewel. Victory Road. 'Nuff said.
    • We haven't seen Sandra in a while, I would like some more character development with her.
    • I really want to see Ala evolve into a Dragonite.
    • Aquamarine could probably use some character development.
    • We really need to resolve that Angel plot.
    • Eda needs some love.
    • I really, really want to see Evangeline really bond with some of the other pokemon.
    • FISTICUFFSxChun Li
    • I also want to see more of Ruto, Medusa, the three ancient pokemon, Missile, Twilight, Maggie, and of course the legendary trio.

You should be proud of making so many characters with interesting little sub plots. But it does complicate things when we get down to the wire like this. But if I absolutely have to pick only 12 pokemon, I'll go with:

1. Leafe (showing off her work to Helga). We can say Helga's watching and cheering from the sidelines, without actually being in the party.
    2. Mellow needs some more screentime, maybe some resolution as to what exactly happens with her and the mushroom thingies.
    3. Tanith, I really want to see her motives come to light.
    4. Jewel, and her exploration of Victory Road.
    5. Ala's cute, I want to see more of her, and I want to see her evolve.
    6. Aquamarine really needs some love, I want to see her develop a bit more.
    7. I want to see Eda become stronger.
    8. I want to see Evangeline make some real friends.
    9. Chun Li, same as Leafe.
    10. Ruto is just too much fun, train her up.
    11. I want to see Missile develop some as a character.
    12. I want to see Twilight's research bear fruit. Also, PONIES!

Additionally, I want to see a separate training session with the legendary trio for character development.

On another note, I would also like to see Lila get some character development after the Elite 4, and I kind of want to see something with Draca and Chelle, that's just too good too pass up.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2011-06-08 at 01:39 AM.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

A good chapter but a sad one. The only way I see her getting back up from this one is Rya.

Also I would like to see more work from the fossil pokemon as well as see Ala evolve. Those two have priority everything else is just icing on top.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, one more important note:

If a pokemon evolves post-Elite 4, or we haven't gotten to their evolutions, that'll get done, no matter what.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd been working on a picture of Rya and ChuChu to learn how to use my tablet, but after reading this chapter I didn't feel like hopping straight back to happy cuteness. I drew a quick picture of Terra instead.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks for the amazing chapter, I'll go choose a set of pokemon to train soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh, they're all awesome. You've made so many great characters and I don't really mind which I see, but I have to put in a request for Ruto. She's wonderful and I would love to see more of her, and maybe see her finally realise that not everything is an experiment.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, my. That was rather heavy. Glad that this isn't the end, but my heart doth ache for Seed nonetheless. Glad at least that Spike didn't try to take on the Nidoking.

That said, this is an important vote, so I feel the need to take part.

Elite 4 Team:
    The main 6, including a returning Rya. Kai is a pretty chill bro, but not as entertaining as Rya was. Besides, I can see him being able to handle being sidelined more easily than Rya.

Reserves
    1.) Jewel; the cave system of Victory Road is glorious- it would be a travesty for a gentlewoman adventurer to not get a chance to visit it. Plus, perhaps she can become notable enough that Seed will never forget her again.
    2.) Dusk; I'd like to see her become the supreme Justice Ninja that she always thought Koga was
    3.) Evangeline; she really should get a chance to spend more time with the real friends that her imaginary ones entrusted her to
    4-6) The Ancients. I'd like to see the Chelle/Draca plot resolved at some point, and giving Draca a little more time to figure it out seems like a good step toward that end. Chelle is just delightfully hammy. Trilo getting to see what the world is now like could be fascinating.
    7.) Kai; he can take a supporting role well, and he is still a good person for helping keep Spike and Seed feeling all right.
    8.) Eda; her Balboa arc must continue
    9.) Missle; Pokemon activism should be spread
    10.) Mellow; I'd like to see some resolution to the present inner conflict, somehow
    11.) Leafe, much for the reasons that Hawkflight provided
    12.) Ruto; seeing whether or not she can overcome her present worldview, or at least adapt it enough to be functional outside the lab, will be interesting.

As for level, I'd say that I'd like the team to at least be within five levels of Beau's 'mons. So, around 55-60? Within at most ten levels for the reservists.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

I agree that Rya should come back, pretty much for the reasons given by Sucrose. As for reserves:

-Ruto- Amusing to have around, potentially useful, and I think it'd be interesting to see her developed.
    -Evangeline- I'd be interested to see more of her, she's got a lot of potential as a character.
    -Erika- More screen time to fine out what she saw in Terra's dreams; I'm so curious O_O
    -Ala- Really like the character, and would like to see her evolve.
    -Sandra- Still hasn't really figured it out yet; if you have ideas for that, I'd support her return.
    -Angel- Subplots! (I like this one a lot, incidentally, and it ties in well to Seed)
    -Eda- Once again, if you can I'd love to see how you develop her.
    -The Ancients [Trilo, Chelle, Draca]- If done well, these could be really interesting/entertaining. If you think you can handle it, I'd be interested.
    -Dusk- Venomoths make the best ninjas. Search your feelings; you know it to be true.
    -Kai- Because he's a cool guy.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for all the great feedback, you guys ^^ It really means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    I'd been working on a picture of Rya and
    ChuChu to learn how to use my tablet, but after reading this chapter I didn't feel like hopping straight back to happy cuteness. I drew a quick picture of Terra instead.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks for the amazing chapter, I'll go choose a set of pokemon to train soon.
    Also, this = awesome. I'll add it to the list of fan works once I get the index updated.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

First thing. One of Kai's quotes has no end color bracket, and temperature is spelled incorrectly.

I think every reserve should have some form of follow up, but you were probably already planning that.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As the person who originaly suggested Kai replace Rya, I must say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Bring back Rya!
    No!
    Bring back Rya!
    No!
    Bring back Rya!
    No!
    Bring back Rya!
    No!
    Bring back Rya!
    NO!

This is all I really care about. Though, I'd like to see him Evolve when he makes it through the trial period.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

As a stalwart Rya fan, I must in turn say:

No!
    Yes!

No!
    Yes!

No!
    Yes!

No!
    Yes!

NO!
    YES!
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2011-06-09 at 10:24 PM.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Hawkflight. I want Rya back.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Most people seem to. Although I agree that Rya would be more fun to help Seed out of the dark revelation, I think the main reason that she's favored over Kai is that she has more characterization. That's generally how everything here goes: More characterization > less, that's how it usually worked with training sessions, too. Didn't matter if someone else could evolve, old-timers won out. Kai is merely a victim of his time(-ing).

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Act 3 Beginning: Chapter 65+
    Spoiler
    Show
    And so we watched her go again.

"Shouldn't one of us go after her?"

"You know, this keeps happening."

I pace the pokecenter, staring at the spot where she stood. To chase? To let her return in her own time?
    ...I'm her First. For all my bravado, that is real. That means that the duty of knowing her true desires...Was mine. I should have paid more attention. I should have asked questions.

"Stay here. I'll be right back."

I walk out before I realize I have no idea where she is. I take a deep breath and focus. There have been times when it's like there's a Seed-shaped hole in the world, where the light of her heart in my head goes dark. But usually, it's there, sometimes angry, sometimes sad, sometimes fired up by the idea of doing right. It's not a very honest heart, and it's a little broken -- maybe even very broken -- but it is my mistress's heart.
    And today, I feel it calling out to me from a very lonely place. I simply follow the path, back to where we began. I have never given much thought to her life before meeting me, but it occurs to me... that as little as she's reached out, even to us, who she says she loves, who she says she trusts... That there is no one in this town she would reach out to. Am I assigning too much?

I find her sitting by the ocean, her feet dangling in the water. She motions for me to sit beside her, and, wincing at the sensation of the cool water, I do.

"I'm sorry."
    "I'm sorry."

I shake my head.

"There's no need to apologize, Mistress. I should have informed you more exactly. I should have --"

"I...I was stupid. It's just..."

"No, not at all... I understand what you told me, when we had just met Rya. You made us a family, because family is something so precious to you... Perhaps we can just say that it was no one's fault?"

She eventually nods. I know she sometimes worries about the state of the world. I know that it seems so cruel to me at times: so against me, once. Let it be the world's fault, this lonliness in her heart. I know that that's selfish, but I don't want it to be me hurting my lady.

"There are many sorts of wishes about your sister...That could be granted."

"Like?"

"Well...She could have never been your sister, so that grief wouldn't be yours to bear. She could have met her fate some other way. Time itself could be changed, so that while she'd still die at the same age, that age hasn't come yet. The difference would only be a few years..."
    She laughs wryly.

"Those are terrible ideas. I mean, that second one sounds ok... But I bet it'd go all 'monkey's paw' on me."

I try and think of something to say while she lifts one wet knee enough to rest her head on it, her long hair sticking to her calf. Then she says, out of the blue:

"Azula, what is your wish?"

"What?"

"When you told me, you said you thought that a pokemon would get a wish, too. I know you were thinking about a wish. What is it?"

"...I...I wished for strength, enough strength that I could... That I could be loved... And then you came, and showed me that I need no wishes."

I cannot look at her when I admit this, but I can admit it. She smiles for a moment, then settles into her thoughts again. She hasn't looked away from the sea for even an instant.

"And now? What are we doing this for, Zu-Zu?"

We sit there and dangle our feet in the sea for a long time, as I try and reach for the words I want to say.

"...And now I wish that every pokemon had a chance, however small, to find a trainer that makes them happy. To not have to live as I lived before there was you."

Then I sigh.

"But I can't ask for such a thing: I don't know what it'd take for that to happen. A wish can be granted if there's a known path to it, to prevent 'monkey's paw,' as you put it."

"So we work it out."

"What? Mistress -- I --"

"It's a good wish, Azula. I support it. And we'll make it happen, or at least give it our best."

"Really? But your sister --"

"I think she'd have wanted me to do this. She'd have wanted me to do something other than dream about the past."

She smiles and rises to her feet. She takes me by the hand and pulls me up. I can tell she's still dissapointed, still sad and lonely and guilty as only survivors can be... But she's a survivor, so by definition, she survives.

"But first...Why don't you gather up the gang. There's some stuff I want to do alone."

Despite her order, I follow her a bit, and watch her from her window when she enters her house. She greets her mother, they chat for a minute... Nothing important-seeming, with some reference to the television playing in the background...
    And as her mother rises to fetch something, my mistress puts a hand on her shoulder. Her mother stares at it as if she didn't understand where it came from, across such a long gap.

"Mom...It's OK. I miss her, too. I miss it all."

The two women look at each-other. The Mistress's shoulders shake, and from the window I can tell she's crying -- they're both crying. Her mother holds her in her arms, they hold eachother tight like two storm-wracked ships, trying to stay together. Their voices drop into whispers, saying things they've been wanting to say to each other for a long time.
    I leave them to their privacy.

Within an hour, she's back at the pokemon center, ready to lead us again.
    Whatever comes next, she's ready for it. I know this is so, by the light of her heart.

Sorry about the delays. Anyway, next time it's back on the road, so get your votes in!
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

30. - Top - End - #180

I'd love to see more of Jasmine, and
    Bring Back Rya!
    Awesome Pony-Chul by slayerx!
    My computer is on the blink. Posting will be affected.
    The endless wisdom that is my extended signature lies here.
    I have Pokemon!