Default Re: Tales of Revelia: JRPG-styled Fantasy Webcomic

You're correct, Europe is PAL land.
    FE Eternity of Darkness:
    Chet Stamsou

2. - Top - End - #422
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CeresianMomento View Post
    Actually, I don't have that many Tales games, (just Symphonia, Vesperia, and Dawn of the New World), as I live in Australia, which gets even worse export treatment in regards to Tales games than Europe. I was looking forward to getting Tales of the Abyss on a 3DS, but it wasn't released in Australia, even though both Europe and America did get it. I could import a European copy, since I'm pretty sure Europe and Australia both belong in the PAL community, but even so I've left it rather late to do that, and it would still pretty difficult all the same. Ditto for Tales of Graces F.

So yeah, while I do enjoy the Tales series, Namco's issues with exporting its games makes it difficult to be a fan of the series. Still, the games that I get access to are good, and that's what matters.
    Over here in KillItWithFire-Land Me and 2 other friends are doing a group run of Symphonia. I'm playing Collette. (She's so slow!) Good times are indeed being had by all. I'm the only one in the group who has played it before and our plan is to do the same for Vesperia when we're done. Since none of us have played that one. Quick question... how are the characters and story in Vesperia? I've grown attached to both in Symphonia and my quick trying-to-avoid-spoilers look on the interwebs didn't do much to impress me.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

You'll find Vesperia mutiplayer much more enjoyable because free run is unlocked from the very beginning.

Like I said, I haven't played much yet, but from what I gather it's really good, objectional depending on how much you like JRPGs. Characters are all skilled in their own way, and you'll want to play all of them to see what they can do. There's cool names which I love, well-designed visuals, and it's in HD... Pretty much, Vesperia I'd say is the best modern Tales game, despite having not played that far into yet.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2012-01-28 at 06:37 PM.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

4. - Top - End - #424
    Pixie in the Playground

I enjoyed Vesperia more than I did Symphonia. Still, they were both awesome, in the end. So it was a close thing. Vesperia does give you more freedom in game, and everyone has Mystic Artes in Vesperia (though you don't get them until towards the end of the game.)

5. - Top - End - #425

Quote Originally Posted by CeresianMomento View Post
    I enjoyed Vesperia more than I did Symphonia. Still, they were both awesome, in the end. So it was a close thing. Vesperia does give you more freedom in game, and everyone has Mystic Artes in Vesperia (though you don't get them until towards the end of the game.)
    I see. Well we played the trial the other day and one of my friends is very eager to play the dog with the pipe. Considering I accedentily left disc one of Symphonia at my house before I returned to college we might end up starting it sooner than anticipated. The only reason I'm hesitating at this point is because Vesperia doesn't have Zelos in it. Oh and it costs $30. That too.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

6. - Top - End - #426
    Pixie in the Playground

If it is any consolation, Raven is pretty cool too. And $30 is a small price to pay, considering that the game goes for about fifty hours. (That's how long my playthroughs seem to go for.)

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Ehh, Raven leaves a lot and the bow switch can be really awkward sometimes. Rita can melee if you try hard enough though. xD (Blah blah tidal wave +the King of Beast Boar outdoor boss=grade galore.)
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground

Really? I found Raven fairly easy to use. Rita is fun as well, though: 'BLAH BLAH BLAH... VIOLENT PAIN!' I tend to use Yuri normally though.

9. - Top - End - #429

Welp, I just want to say it here before anyone in the future asks about this, but when I thought of Aria's status image, I thought of her standing facing to her left, head looking to her right, and her right arm held akimbo on her hip. Then just now, I saw the status image of Milla from Tales of Xilia.

I did not copy, this was just a very scary but cool coincidence.

I'm treating it as a sign that this comic is destined for greatness. Or at least my ideas are.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2012-02-03 at 03:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Well, JRPG. Only so many cool fashion poses to do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Well, JRPG. Only so many cool fashion poses to do.
    Type JRPG Action Poses in Google Image Search and behold as the page number approaches infinity.

If you simply go for action pose you even get to see some of those in groups and mannequin mode and get 23 pages filled with them.

I subscribe to the destined for epicness hypothesis.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

12. - Top - End - #432

Guys my panels are getting too crowded. Arte names! Saying the arte name! Swooshy effects. Floating numbers. The characters themselves. The huge boss. Suggestions? I'll trying "zooming" the camera out on everything, result in less clutter but smaller stuff in each panel.

Also, I realized why this is taking a while. I'm designing or conceptualizing a video game, a JRPG of all things, while making the comic. I'll make up for lost time with my drawings (concept art) soon enough.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Colossus in the Playground

Apparently a 3DS port of Tales of the Abyss is coming out next week.

...Right before my prelims. *sigh*

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post

There's a 3DS port????? But that means I have to buy a 3DS! And I made a huge deal amoungst my circle of friends that it was nothing but a gimmick that offered nothing productive to my handheld gaming experience and that I would refuse to buy one forever! Now I see you have designs to make me both a liar and a couple hundred dollars poorer.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

I am going to enjoy Abyss so much. And then I'll give up because I'm not one for dungeons.
    Quote Originally Posted by KillItWithFire View Post
    There's a 3DS port????? But that means I have to buy a 3DS! And I made a huge deal amoungst my circle of friends that it was nothing but a gimmick that offered nothing productive to my handheld gaming experience and that I would refuse to buy one forever! Now I see you have designs to make me both a liar and a couple hundred dollars poorer.
    Yeah. It looks so gimicky, but its better than the DSlite and I never even use the 3D slider function except for Mario Kart and easy boss battles. The pictochat wannabe saddens me though.

Also, T. Knight (And you too Coffee, I guess ), don't rush yourself. Do what you feel like doing before smacking your face into the keyboard because the stupid panels wont configure and this stupid *insert object/chandelier* is taking too long to draw and I have this homework and...
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-02-11 at 12:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

16. - Top - End - #436

Winter Break's coming, and I'll finally be able to finish the comic that's like 75% done and get it out to you guys, hopefully along with some concept art done by my own hand. The boss battle will be shorter this time around. Remember to expect that some time has passed in-between comics when they are in battle.

I'm still anxious to get some more characters in here and get out of the whole "tutorial" part of the "game" and start having actual conversations between characters, not just to act as filler as they go from place to place. Good news is that I got the energy system for my world worked out, so expect that to be somewhat explained to the extent of the characters' knowledge soon.

Now I just have to slog through a Calc BC exam, a AP Bio exam, numerous French exams, and fun English periods.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Guys my panels are getting too crowded. Arte names! Saying the arte name! Swooshy effects. Floating numbers. The characters themselves. The huge boss. Suggestions? I'll trying "zooming" the camera out on everything, result in less clutter but smaller stuff in each panel.

Also, I realized why this is taking a while. I'm designing or conceptualizing a video game, a JRPG of all things, while making the comic. I'll make up for lost time with my drawings (concept art) soon enough.
    You could treat the numbers and/or Arte name as part of the enviornment and put them UNDER speech bubbles and such, with enough poking through that we know it's there.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #438

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    You could treat the numbers and/or Arte name as part of the enviornment and put them UNDER speech bubbles and such, with enough poking through that we know it's there.
    Good idea, since they are supposed to be there to create a visual effect of being in a video game world. I'll keep important in front and push fluff to the back, though some numbers will remain where they are because they are on top of monsters and such. I mean, speech bubbles will never cover monsters to that extent.

Thank you HalfTangible.

19. - Top - End - #439

A new comic appears.

The boss battle this time around won't take as long, as action will still go on in between comics. This style will only be used to for longer battles, unless you guys can sit still as the party whittles down the boss's 20,000 HP in chunks of 100 damage. Trust me, it's better this way, more action, more progression. After this, the story can pick up again.

Also, as a thanks for waiting this long for the comic, I have things for you guys. New concept art, as that's what I have been doing all this time in school when I couldn't be working on the comic. I also sketched out future characters and the world's energy system, so I can get to explaining that in a comic coming up soon. I am fully devoted to this comic, and luckily I have a bit of artistic talent, so I can pour whatever can not be shown in the comic, in these, what I will call, since I am technically making a game, concept art. I tried to match Kosuke Fujishima's version of anime/manga eyes, so if they look off, you can only blame me.

Ben Syndill

Aria Hauteclair

Please pay more attention to their hair and clothing than their faces please.

20. - Top - End - #440

I appreciate your effort placed into this comic. I believe your artistic talent to be better than mine. (Especially since I haven't even opened inkscape since the last DYF)

If you're going to doodle in class, might as well draw some decent eyes! Or you can stick with drawing the ever classic assymetric ovals.
    Your friendly neighborhood A&C hobo.

Support local OotS webcomics! Read Tales of Revelia.

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Saturn View Post
    If you're going to doodle in class, might as well draw some decent eyes!
    I am confused as to the meaning unto which this statement has been stated.

Good thing or bad thing?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Like, put in some pupils man. And irises. And the red stuff in the eyes, while your at it. Stick figures! (Totally awesome sketches, I must say. Especially nice eyes.)
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-02-20 at 06:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

23. - Top - End - #443

You all know what anime/manga style art looks like right? And that Tales games come from Japan, meaning concept art for a Tales game would be drawn in Japanese anime/manga style, meaning the eyes will look kinda like what I've drawn.

Gah, the ambiguity of your comments!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thumbs up Re: Tales of Revelia: JRPG-styled Fantasy Webcomic

Really good comic strip, but I would recommend cutting back on the art slightly if that's what is slowing you down. Otherwise, just get a ton of poses for the guys you are using while you think up the plot or just in your spare time.

Like I said, great comic!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    You actually went through all that? I should put something in here as a reward for doing so...

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

The parts you want us to give our attention have what they need to spontaneously get it.

I like the eyes very much.
    FE Eternity of Darkness:
    Chet Stamsou

26. - Top - End - #446
    Colossus in the Playground

Are the same artes used in every game? And I wonder how long it'll be before the first plot twist.

...I shouldn't be playing Tales of the Abyss so much while class is still in session.

27. - Top - End - #447

Are the same artes used in every game? And I wonder how long it'll be before the first plot twist.

...I shouldn't be playing Tales of the Abyss so much while class is still in session.
    Hahaha.

No, same artes are not always used, though names and themes are sometimes repeated. There are also entire sets of skills reserved for characters of a certain fighting style.

I'm trying my best to either come up with new skills or use the existing skills appropriately.

And both as an update and an answer, the next comic is still in its drafting stage, but only because I plan to give a little exposition about things to come. You can't have a plot twist before I present the story.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic Knight View Post
    Hahaha.

No, same artes are not always used, though names and themes are sometimes repeated. There are also entire sets of skills reserved for characters of a certain fighting style.

I'm trying my best to either come up with new skills or use the existing skills appropriately.

And both as an update and an answer, the next comic is still in its drafting stage, but only because I plan to give a little exposition about things to come. You can't have a plot twist before I present the story.
    Especially the magic. The magic seems to get repeated a lot.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

Those that know ternary,
    those that don't

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

It's a long way before we get to see these little ones' mystic artes.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    It's a long way before we get to see these little ones' mystic artes.
    Indeed.

Comic is coming along guys, thanks for being patient about me having to deal with AP classes, because seriously they are only things giving me homework and making me study. And of my five classes, three are AP.

That and the video games. I got Tales of Graces f yesterday.

Also seeing as how we are going into the 16th page, the most of any thread I've ever made, I must say, I will try not to let the thread page numbers catch up to my comic numbers.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2012-03-15 at 01:46 AM.