New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Revelia: JRPG-styled Fantasy Webcomic

"Rally the souls and grant us life. Resurrection!"

Just building up some hype. Comic is returning very soon.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2015-08-17 at 12:31 AM.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Huh, and I had added this to my list of dead fancomics to archive.

Since I've read through it while doing so, I may as well offer a quick review: I really like the art, and it's fairly engaging so far, but I can't help thinking it's played a little too straight. I came in more or less expecting something that is to JRPGs as OOTS is to D&D, but the comic is actually more like a normal JRPG done in comic form with a bit of extra self-aware humor.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #723

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Huh, and I had added this to my list of dead fancomics to archive.

Since I've read through it while doing so, I may as well offer a quick review: I really like the art, and it's fairly engaging so far, but I can't help thinking it's played a little too straight. I came in more or less expecting something that is to JRPGs as OOTS is to D&D, but the comic is actually more like a normal JRPG done in comic form with a bit of extra self-aware humor.
    Yeah that's what I was intending. I guess I'm trying to make this more like what modern OotS is as opposed to what older OotS was. Once Roy and co. had left Dorukan's Dungeon, met Miko and basically got the real plot rolling, there were less overt references to "Haley you are a rogue with Evasion" or "Belkar failed another Spot check". Only when they found Girard's Gate did they go back to D&D, basing some humor around D&D class features and feats. The degree to which this comic will break the 4th wall will depend on what specific JRPG thing I want to make a joke of, but the entire comic will not be NPCs going "oh look the heroes are here to rob my house again". I got a lot of the Tales specific ones out during the tutorial fight.

I have said before that I wanted Tales of Revelia to be both a general JRPG parody and a real JRPG-homage to the Tales series. Trying to balance the two will come with time, but in terms of relating this to OotS, this comic will try to be the OotS of the last 6-ish years.

All that being said, I welcome more criticism and would love to argue ways to write this comic, as I have no specific grandmaster plan as to how to write this besides what I said above about this being both a parody and the real thing.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

An ancient reminder of the past popped up in my mailbox today. Very surprising.
    I wish you luck, and time.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Orc in the Playground

Great! Past week I was remembering this and wondering if it would be back.
    FE Eternity of Darkness:
    Chet Stamsou

6. - Top - End - #726

Thanks guys.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I will never stop doing this comic (until it's done anyway), as it is the first time I'm following through with a story that I have written and I have sunk way too much time into this project and enjoyed every second of it.

7. - Top - End - #727

The comic returns! Forreals yo.

Story about this page. It took me 2 years to finish this page, as I kept rewriting and changing the events of this page. How the events of this page would lead to the next page, how the events portrayed in this comic would affect character's later characterizations, etc. If the characters acted within reason, or reasonably. Also the designs of the family, and all the way until yesterday I was figuring out what the Knight was going to do in the 10th panel.

Anyway, that's done. And I can get on with telling the story, and you all can continue enjoying the product.

Also, since I've come back to work on this page, OotS has updated its art style. I figured with this mini-reboot I thought I might change something about this comic as well. So I decided on switching out of the font so many people hold to be the work of the Devil: Comic Sans. Problem is, I'm not a big font guy, so I need help choosing a new font, if I get a general consensus that we should switch to that new font. I'll be collecting responses from several different sources so I'll keep you all updated on what I choose.

Below is an alternate version of the same page but using a free font I found called Komika. Out of 3 new fonts that I wanted for the comic, this one was the most keeping in with the feeling I got from reading Comic Sans without looking too out of place with the art style. If you all have better suggestions, please let me know and I can try them out and put the new ones up to a vote if I can't decide.

Alternate fonts, yo.

And finally, the thrilling conclusion to this update will be out in a few weeks. I've been putting off some school stuff and other side projects in favor of games. I've held off on games to work on this, so now I need to do that school stuff. Please bear with me, thanks.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

The other font looks kinda like... it's all italicized?

I also went back and read the previous comic to refresh my memory. Cooking tutorial!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a new reader, and I have to say that I'm loving all of the JRPG references!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a fan of Comic Sans.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

11. - Top - End - #731
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*looks at the dust, cobwebs and spiders on my old font guy hat*
    *decides against putting it back on while pondering why I still have it*

I like the new font over the old one and while I'm speaking my personal opinion...

I use Lexia Readable as my alternative to Comic Sans for the situations where I need comic sans. I generally lean towards Helvetica but they may not hit the spot your after. I don't feed the hate but I did notice you were using Comic Sans.

I'm also a new reader and, like FinnLassie, I enjoyed the JRPG references.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Oh god, I just wrote a very lenghty and in-depth review of the first 32 pages of this webcomic, along with a critic of what I like and what I don't like, then the "you need to log in again after being afk for too long" prompt ate my entire post. -.-

Great...

I uh... I'm sorry that I won't go through all the details I wrote earlier anymore and keep this new critic a bit shorter:

I think this comic is missing a "hook" yet. As you intend this to be an OOTS style character-driven storytelling, you must give the reader something to suck them in instantly. This is why OOTS starts with an "in medias res" opening and constant D&D jokes. The IMR opening instantly throws up questions and the jokes keep the reader entertained until the characters have been fleshed out strong enough to stem the tension of the story on their own.

I get that this is supposed to make fun of JRPGs and that this is exactly how JRPGs usually start with, but by doing this your comic ultimately suffers from the same problems as the games it is trying to parody, by playing it too straight.

What I'm saying is: so far, we are in an extremely generic environment with an extremely generic quest. And when it's not the setting that sucks you in, the characters must make up for that. But here we have two characters that didn't show any interesting personality traits yet. There was a hint of Aria in the situation where she jumped to attack and then recognized that she should problably have announced that first. This suggested a hasty, rash personality, but it wasn't elaborated further yet.
    Other than that both she and the second PC are extremely generic so far.

The pitfall that many new authors fall into is that they obviously know much more about the characters than the reader does. As such, they know that there are cool and interesting reveals coming. However, what they don't recognize is that a character must be interesting even before the reveal happens, otherwise the reader simply does not care for that character until then.

If you have a "to be revealed" trait on a character, you either need an obvious secondary trait to grab the reader's attention or have to foreshadow the revelation so that the reader knows that there is something up with this char.
    You could also create a situation that builds immediate conflict between the protagonists to keep the reader on track until the central conflict can be explored. A common trope for that is to give hints of sexual one-sided attraction from one character to another. Or negative sentiments against certain ethics like generosity ("I like you, Sir PC, but sharing your wealth without reason is just dumb!"), being a push-over, etc. ... there's countless possibilities.

So far, so good.
    I really like the art and the idea of this. It's just missing momentum yet.
    Last edited by Zwiebelchen; 2015-12-17 at 08:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733

Hey Zwiebelchen, thanks for the critique.

You pretty much hit it straight on the head. I partly fault myself for the reasons you stated, but also because I haven't gotten the comic out as fast as I would like, due to school, video games and other assorted hobbies. Also this comic has been a work in progress for the past several years now. As in, a couple years ago till about page 32, I wrote the story as I went along, which I know is a bad thing in general and of course that leads to bad pacing where reveals are concerned. I also miscalculated page counts, and realized I should have introduced another character by now, as far as JRPGs are concerned, let alone as the story/plot allows, or have had some other event happen to give readers a better idea of my characters' character.

Like you said, I do have a bunch more character development that I know about but so far has not been shown, so it's technically nonexistent at this point. As far as what I define as plot, the general flow of the story from location to location and the encounters along the way, etc., whatever I have planned will not change. But as for what happens in those encounters and in those places, I will remember to pay more attention to character development first and foremost, especially since JRPGs are supposed to be known for interesting characters.

Insider information here: as of page 33, I had already planned this next series of pages to be character development for Ben and Aria in different ways. I will try to get those pages out and hopefully get things back on track.

Thanks again for your input. It is much welcomed for a beginning writer such as myself. This is the first story I've ever followed through with and written more than just a few chapters before dropping it. I intend to see it through to the end and along the way make it into an actually good story, one that is entertaining all the way through.