New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Earth-52 IC

1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Earth-52 IC

Floyd Lawton

"Mr. Al-Ghul, I'm a professional. When I take a job, I don't half-ass it. Just walking next to you for five hours is precisely five percent of the job. The other ninety-five percent is prep time, interviewing your staff, making plans for every conceivable situation, and making sure we don't walk you into any obvious death traps. This also protects me, because even though it is my job to take a bullet for you in these circumstances I don't enjoy doing it. So whatever I can do to lesson my chances of getting shot, I'm going to do." Floyd stated evenly, pinching the bridge of his nose and trying not to sigh over the phone. "If you just want some idiot to be your bullet sponge, I'm sure there are a lot of cheaper options."
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Ra's

A pause on the other end of the line.

"Ah. I appear to have mistaken "am" for the evening, rather than the morning. Apologies."
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Floyd Lawton

"Very good, sir. I'll see you tomorrow, then." Floyd said, trying to keep the smile out of his voice. He flicked a glance back toward the bar to check for either his mystery woman or Ollie, wondering if he'd find one or both there. Assuming Ra's had nothing else to tell him, he put away his cell and made his way back over there.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Orc in the Playground

The Question

Kate furrows her brow as Bruce spouts gibberish at her. "Zur-En-Arrh to you too, Bruce." She walked over to the foot of the bed, and sat down on it. "Do you remember me? Do you know who I am?" Her voice was soft and soothing, knowing that he could react to virtually anything - sometimes with violence.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lock-Up

Shondra

The waterfront cafe is perhaps a 15 minute walk north along the harbor. The sky is overcast, and Gotham Harbor reeks of pollution, moss, salt and garbage.

It's a perfect day.

The restaurant is upscale, but business casual for lunchtime. Three men wearing collared shirts and and khakis are deep in conversation in a corner booth; at Shondra's request, the maitre d' takes the two of them to a glass table outside.

"Thank you, Paul," she says as she accepts the menu.
    Lyle pulls out a chair for Shondra and, once she seats herself, he follows suit. He takes his own menu from Paul and gazes out at the water. He is momentarily impressed by the beauty of it, until his attention is grasped by a white plastic bag snagged on the floating carcass of a red-lipped fish. He turns back to look at Shondra, and her beauty is unblemished. Her bones unbroken. Her neck unslit. He forces those thoughts fro his head. "I like it here," he says. "By the water. It helps put things in perspective." Condensation beads like sweat on the surface of his glass. "I think that's why I set up shop on a ship, on the water - because it puts things in perspective." He smiles, but it's a nervous one, apprehensive. He just wasn't built for this kind of thing, the careful finesse of emotional interaction; he was designed for heavy labor. Now, if he were more like Floyd...! "I've never eaten here before," he continues. "What would you, uhm, what would you suggest?"
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2012-03-03 at 08:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606

RedWizardGuy

Katherine Walker

Katherine opens her mouth to demand why Steph didn't tell anyone about the food, and then shuts it. Now is not the time, Walker. If there ever was a time, this is not it.

"Sit down, Kid." She says, softly but firmly, and guides the girl to one of the chairs. "I'll at least get you some water. And no need to laugh - my cooking ain't that bad." She forces a smile and heads towards the kitchen.

Clean glass, clean glass - where the hell was a clean glass? Or much of a clean anything. She grabs one and brings it underneath the tap, trying not to curse as she waits for the plumbing to work. The last thing Steph needed was for Walker to lose it too, as much of a relief that would be. This was something she'd had occasion to do a few times before, in the course of a detective and a patrolwoman's work, but goddamnit when you knew the person...

...She shouldn't have to be doing this. Stephanie shouldn't need someone to do this for her.

Katherine exits the kitchen, newly composed, and hands Stephanie the water. "Drink." She says, and sits down next to the girl. She needs to keep her occupied, thinking of practicalities and necessities rather than what is in that room. While she still can. "We gotta find you someplace to stay." She says. "If you've got someplace you want to go for a while, that's good. But Josie's still talking about how empty her appartment is, and I've still got that pull-out couch lying around somewhere."

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

Bruce Wayne

"Yes. Kate. Obviously."

Bruce is tall and rail-thin; tall like the rest of the Waynes and thin due to his inability to exercise.

"Why are you here, anyway? The last time you were here you babbled about going to Israel. "

Floyd Lawton

"I do hope so."

Ollie's exiting the bar, a piece of blonde not-quite-jailbait on either arm. He grins in Floyd's general direction, and then resumes boasting about his hotel suite...

Of course, it's when Lawton is alone at the bar and waiting for his mystery girl that the ninjas attack. They burst through the skylight, all dressed in stereotypical black ninja garb and wielding stereotypical ninja weapons and generally behaving so ninja-like that if there had been any other ninjas in the bar they would have chastised them for reinforcing prejudice about ninjas.

The lead ninja (though they all looked the same to Lawton, and that wasn't ninjaist of him to think it), points at Floyd, screams something in some language the marksman doesn't know, and the group bursts into action, screaming at the top of their lungs all the while.

Well...crap.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll initiative, and I'll need as many DC 15 Fort rolls as drinks you've had. Each failure will give you a -1 stackable penalty on skill and attack rolls due to the alcohol.

Lock-Up

Lyle pulls out a chair for Shondra and, once she seats herself, he follows suit. He takes his own menu from Paul and gazes out at the water. He is momentarily impressed by the beauty of it, until his attention is grasped by a white plastic bag snagged on the floating carcass of a red-lipped fish. He turns back to look at Shondra, and her beauty is unblemished. Her bones unbroken. Her neck unslit. He forces those thoughts fro his head. "I like it here," he says. "By the water. It helps put things in perspective." Condensation beads like sweat on the surface of his glass. "I think that's why I set up shop on a ship, on the water - because it puts things in perspective." He smiles, but it's a nervous one, apprehensive. He just wasn't built for this kind of thing, the careful finesse of emotional interaction; he was designed for heavy labor. Now, if he were more like Floyd...! "I've never eaten here before," he continues. "What would you, uhm, what would you suggest?"[/QUOTE]

"They're very good with their seafood. And their lobster macaroni, I feel, is amazing."

She raises her glass of water, the liquid bobbing slightly.

"I used to get seasick when I first started working on the Halsey. It was terrible. But there were people that needed help, and in time, the sickness passed...and I saw the beauty in the waves and comfort in their now-soothing caresses."

Stephanie

She drains the glass. Well, mostly. Stephanie isn't the neatest eater normally; her hands are trembling, and a good bit of the water ends up splashed around on her.

"...I don't have anywhere."
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

8. - Top - End - #608

RedWizardGuy

Katherine Walker

"Kid," Katherine snaps, and then immediately forces the harshness back down. "You always have mine. You're ever in trouble, you ever need a place to rest, you have mine. I've only let my best friends into my place and only shortly at that. You've slept there." She pauses at a bit of emotion, and then decides to go all in. "You always have entry there. Until you find your feet, until you get someplace else, until a year or two or three or ten - it's there, okay? It's always there for you."

She holds Stephanie on the shoulder and is surprised when she feels no desire to shy from the contact with the young girl."Stephanie, I'm here, okay? You can stay on the couch or the bed, whichever takes your fancy. We'll just sort out this mess and then you can get some rest."

9. - Top - End - #609
    Troll in the Playground

Floyd Lawton
    Defense: 22
    Condition: Slightly buzzed and doubting his sanity, but otherwise unharmed.

"..."

Floyd looked around at the ninjas, then down at his drink incredulously, then back up at the ninjas to see if they were still there screaming at him. He set his drink down, looked at it like it was going to move, then pinched his arm experimentally. Then he looked up at the ceiling. "God? Hi, it's Floyd. How's yer mum? Um...anyway, if this is real, then...thank you, because it's awesome." he said earnestly, a huge smile on his face. He looked over at the lead ninja and his fingers tightened around the handful of darts he still had.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+7)[18]
    Fort Save 1: (1d20+8)[10]
    Fort Save 2: (1d20+8)[23]
    Fort Save 3: (1d20+8)[16]
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2012-03-04 at 04:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Floyd Lawton's Crazy Night

God does not appear to be very forthcoming at this time; either with gratitude at Floyd's appreciation or wrath at his irreverence. Regardless, the ninjas are, in fact, real, and they are, in fact, attacking him.

The first one to reach him is wielding a pair of sai; the second, a bo staff. The former lunges to stab Floyd in the guts; the latter forgoing any previously pathetic premise of a pretense of subtlety, and goes for a flying kick to Lawton's face.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[17]
    DC 18 Toughness if it hits
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[12]
    DC 18 Toughness if it hits

Katherine Walker

Well, that just increases the waterworks. It also makes Walker's ribs swear an eternal vendetta against Walker proper due to intense crushing pressure. The kid had a set of arms.

"...Thank you."

Stephanie's voice is muffled, as her head is apparently trying to bury itself into Walker's collarbone, which is now also beginning to protest.

"...What do we do now?"

Luigi

Luigi is able to hear brief segments afterwards, snatches of whispered conversation. Neither member of the group seems afraid or anything other than nonchalant about the whole operation.

"...front row...under the seat..."

There is a tap on his shoulder from behind. A small, slight Asian girl, looking no more than 14, is staring at him unblinkingly. She's dressed for the opera, but something about her posture indicates she's extremely uncomfortable in the attire.

"Spying not nice" the girl says. She then looks over her own shoulder, and begins to briskly walk away, obviously moving away from someone.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Deadshot
    Condition: Giggling like a schoolgirl.

"Hey, I'm sensing some hostility here, fellas!" With a quick spin, Deadshot let the first ninja with the sais go past him to stab the bar. Then he just as quickly rolled backwards over the bartop as the other ninja flying kicked a barstool into kindling. With deft manipulations of his right hand, the handful of darts transferred to being held between his fingers and he popped back up as soon as his feet hit the ground. The two ninjas had just enough time to see him wink at them before his hand swiped out and he let fly with the darts, finding the eye holes in their masks and the soft fabric covering their throats. The darts may have been small, but he was Deadshot. In his hands, almost anything became a lethal throwing weapon.

He didn't stop to boast, but started running toward the end of the bar. He was outnumbered, so he needed to keep moving. His weapons were fear, fear and surprise- Err...his weapons were agility and the ability to kill with a coaster if he had to. As long as they couldn't pin him down he would quickly take them apart. Deadshot grabbed a bottle of the highest content liquor he could find and a dry rag as he ducked behind the bar again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Treating the darts like Shuriken from the book. They get the Autofire feature, but Deadshot's strength doesn't add to the damage. He's got Throwing Mastery 4, and I'm power attacking for 1 so their DC is 20. I'll take 10 if they count as Minions, but otherwise the roll below is for both ninjas.

Attack: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2012-03-05 at 11:04 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Luigi's mind rushes with thoughts of possible bomb attempts. But why bombing the opera? Oh right, this is Gotham. It might also be an attempt to mask a smuggling of something; no better hiding than plain sight. And the Asian chick? That didn't have anything to do with nothing! Despite that, she was quick to disappear; she didn't want to be spotted by someone, and certainly was a fish out of the water dressed in opera grab. An idea:
    "Arigato gosaimas!" Luigi said rather loudly turning and bowing to the girl. If someone was looking for her, that should give that someone a good cue, and the girl enough to deal with. Hopefully.
    His diversion played out, Luigi exited the bathroom line to move to the main theatre room. He would go to the first row, and appear to have lost something, while searching for a package under the seats of the first row.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm rolling a few skills in case you need them:
    Spotting that someone that the asian girl doesn't want to meet: Notice:(1d20+7)[10]
    If Luigi is intercepted by a theatre employee, he will Bluff/Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[11] in order to get into the main room and begin searching for the package.
    Searching for the package: (1d20+5)[23] and snatching it quickly: Sleight of hand: (1d20+6)[13]
    Pretending to be looking for something he lost; Bluff: (1d20+8)[24]

I like to roll dice!

13. - Top - End - #613
    Orc in the Playground

The Question

Well, he seems far more lucid than some times I've seen him...Zur-En-Arrh not withstanding.

Kate smiled as Bruce mentioned Israel. "I wouldn't call it babbling, but I guess I was a bit excited. I had a lot to figure out, and it was spilling out of my head at the time.

"And I'm here because...it's that time again. The Ball." She let the silence hang in the air for a few moments - the tension was palpable. "I know, it's terrible I haven't been here since that last time, but things are...things are complicated." She was floundering, apologizing for things she shouldn't. She quickly changed the subject.

"Has anyone else been by to see you recently? Like Tommy? I know you two were close, back in the day."

14. - Top - End - #614

RedWizardGuy

Katherine Walker

Walker's ribs and collarbone were telling her to make the kid let go least they be crushed to death. Walker's head told them to shut up and deal with it. This was important. She'll hold Stephanie until Stephanie wanted her to let go, and that was that.

"I'm gonna have to let Allen in and do the police work." She says, as gentley as she can. "It's plain what's happened, but there's officialities to be observed, so we gotta do all that. And then there's the whole thing about finding someone to look after you, legally..."

Katherine winced at the thought of what she was about to do. She hated the office politics, and she hated the idea of going to Dent cap in hand to ask about this. "I can speak to the mayor about that. Make a favour with his office. Make sure that all goes smooth. As to who you want... well, that's up to you, but like I said my place's always open."

"You gonna be okay, kid? For the moment? All that stuff can still wait."

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

Katherine Walker

"...Okay..."

And then her stomach growls at her.

"...But can we get takeout or something first? I haven't had anything since lunch."

Bruce Wayne

He shoots her another dirty look.

"He comes. He talks. He doesn't avoid me. Unlike some people."

Bruce's mood abruptly changes, though, and he smiles at her, patting her hand.

"Don't worry about things. If they ever get too complicated, you can always stay here. Alfred can get you a room next to mine, and we'll have sleepovers and everything will be perfectly fine."

The Opera

Shortly after Luigi's outburst of Japanese, a tall, olive-skinned woman sweeps through the area. By the time she reaches their former location, neither of them is anywhere to be found.

"Cass? Cass? Get back here right now, missy! I mean it! This is not what I signed up for, Babs..."

Thankfully, it's early enough in the intermission that the ushers aren't checking tickets again. Luigi walks to the front row, and quickly locates a small black velvet box taped to one of the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronicLunacy View Post
    Deadshot
    Condition: Giggling like a schoolgirl.

"Hey, I'm sensing some hostility here, fellas!" With a quick spin, Deadshot let the first ninja with the sais go past him to stab the bar. Then he just as quickly rolled backwards over the bartop as the other ninja flying kicked a barstool into kindling. With deft manipulations of his right hand, the handful of darts transferred to being held between his fingers and he popped back up as soon as his feet hit the ground. The two ninjas had just enough time to see him wink at them before his hand swiped out and he let fly with the darts, finding the eye holes in their masks and the soft fabric covering their throats. The darts may have been small, but he was Deadshot. In his hands, almost anything became a lethal throwing weapon.

He didn't stop to boast, but started running toward the end of the bar. He was outnumbered, so he needed to keep moving. His weapons were fear, fear and surprise- Err...his weapons were agility and the ability to kill with a coaster if he had to. As long as they couldn't pin him down he would quickly take them apart. Deadshot grabbed a bottle of the highest content liquor he could find and a dry rag as he ducked behind the bar again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Treating the darts like Shuriken from the book. They get the Autofire feature, but Deadshot's strength doesn't add to the damage. He's got Throwing Mastery 4, and I'm power attacking for 1 so their DC is 20. I'll take 10 if they count as Minions, but otherwise the roll below is for both ninjas.

Attack: (1d20+5)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[7]

The two go down, and Deadshot ends up behind the bar, a full bottle of Everclear and a dirty rag in his hands.

"Hey! You're paying for that!"

Unlike the awesome ninjas attacking him, the bar wench is still surly. He really should get with the spirit of things.

Then the other two ninjas backflip over the bar, one on either side of Deadshot. Katanas and nunchucks are now inbound on his position.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-03-05 at 06:10 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Deadshot
    Condition: Pyromaniac

"Don't worry, I'm a professional!" Floyd yelled back at the bar wench, as if it would do anything to assuage the man's fears. He headed for the part of the bartop that was on a hinge so the bartender could get out and flipped it up with a kick of his foot to stop a katana blade. "You should probably leave!" he smiled as he backed out of the bar area, flipping the hingetop closed again to stop the ninja with the nunchaku from following him.

As he backed up, Deadshot opened the bottle of Everclear and stuffed the rag in, then turned it on its head to get the rag nice and soaked. Once he had a free hand, he pulled a silver lighter and flicked it open with a clink. He paused for a moment just to catch the look of horror in the bar wench's eyes before he lit the rag.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if I can make a molotov cocktail, light it, AND throw it all in the same round, so I'm going to pause for dramatic effect.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Black Balestatore

Luigi looks at the box for a moment, he then spins it in place, trying to hear noises inside the box, perhaps a tickling clock? bubbling liquid? Something, something that told him "yes, it's a freaking bomb". If it was a bomb, he really didn't know what to do about it. Grab it and run? Perhaps not a good idea.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #618

Lock-Up

"Lobster macaroni it is," he says, "due to your glowing recommendation." He smiles at her again, and this time it's more natural, a little less awkward. "I know exactly what you mean," he continues. "The water is automatically therapeutic in and of itself. I don't know if we'd have made some of the breakthroughs we have if we'd built the Slammer on solid ground." There is a brief pause. "But I do know that none of it would have been possible without you, Shondra. You make the Slammer more than just a prison; you make it a place of healing, for... for everyone inside. It just couldn't be done without you."
    Last edited by Sophistemon; 2012-03-06 at 01:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #619

RedWizardGuy

Katherine Walker

"Sure thing, kid." Katherine says, relaxing her hold a bit. "Just let me bring Allen in here, and he'll do the work while we're away. You know a good place around here?"

20. - Top - End - #620
    Orc in the Playground

The Question

The curveball Bruce throws unnerves Kate - he switches from moody and irascible to innocently placating as easily as flipping on a switch. Kate withdraws her hand from his touch as though she were afraid of catching leprosy from him - and in the very next instant, she knows its a mistake. That'll probably set him off. Try to fix things before its too late.

She sighs and stares up to the ceiling for a moment. "You're right, Bruce - I should have been here more often. You, me, Tommy, we're all bound together by the same tragedies. I do empathize with you, I really do. And...that's probably why I'm not here all that often. Seeing you, it opens up those wounds that never really healed.

She has a flash of insight, and the hint of a smile comes to her ruby lips. "You know, I had a dream about you recently. I dreamt of a Gotham that had a Bruce Wayne gallavanting around the jet set, brokering deals and breaking hearts. It was a good Gotham - still dirty and filled with the things that prowl in the night - but it had different protectors. I wish you could have seen that Gotham. You would have liked it."

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Bruce Wayne

He nods sagely, head bobbing like a drinking bird toy.

"I made you a magic charm," he says, scrabbling at his nightstand. "with pencils and everything."

He takes out a folded piece of paper, offering it to Kate.

"Don't open it until after you leave. Or it won't work."

Katherine Walker

There's a diner about 10 minutes from her house that they drive to while Allen examines the "crime scene." Steph is ravenous.

She's quiet, for once, as she concentrates on the important business of getting as much waffle as she possibly can. She ends up soaking them in syrup, sprinkles, powdered sugar, raspberry preserves, whipped cream and maraschino cherries, and digging in with much gusto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophistemon View Post
    Lock-Up

"Lobster macaroni it is," he says, "due to your glowing recommendation." He smiles at her again, and this time it's more natural, a little less awkward. "I know exactly what you mean," he continues. "The water is automatically therapeutic in and of itself. I don't know if we'd have made some of the breakthroughs we have if we'd built the Slammer on solid ground." There is a brief pause. "But I do know that none of it would have been possible without you, Shondra. You make the Slammer more than just a prison; you make it a place of healing, for... for everyone inside. It just couldn't be done without you."
    She blushes, and looks away, temporarily at a loss for words.

"...Thank you."

Lunch goes amazingly from there. The lobster and cheese and macaroni blend amazingly together, elevating an ostentatious dish into a decadent masterpiece. The two exchange conversation throughout the meal; what had originally been intended as a quick lunch turns into a 2 hour affair as the two decide to linger over desert and afterwords, coffee. It's the mid-afternoon by the time Lock-Up finally recieves the check.

"Thank you, Lyle. This was...this was very nice."

Quote Originally Posted by Terron View Post
    Luigi looks at the box for a moment, he then spins it in place, trying to hear noises inside the box, perhaps a tickling clock? bubbling liquid? Something, something that told him "yes, it's a freaking bomb". If it was a bomb, he really didn't know what to do about it. Grab it and run? Perhaps not a good idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    The box is small enough to fit in Luigi's palm; once he touches it though, someone claps a hand on his shoulder.

"Put it down, and walk away. Right now."

The voice is young and angry, and the person attached to it matches the voice in manner.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronicLunacy View Post
    Deadshot
    Condition: Pyromaniac

"Don't worry, I'm a professional!" Floyd yelled back at the bar wench, as if it would do anything to assuage the man's fears. He headed for the part of the bartop that was on a hinge so the bartender could get out and flipped it up with a kick of his foot to stop a katana blade. "You should probably leave!" he smiled as he backed out of the bar area, flipping the hingetop closed again to stop the ninja with the nunchaku from following him.

As he backed up, Deadshot opened the bottle of Everclear and stuffed the rag in, then turned it on its head to get the rag nice and soaked. Once he had a free hand, he pulled a silver lighter and flicked it open with a clink. He paused for a moment just to catch the look of horror in the bar wench's eyes before he lit the rag.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if I can make a molotov cocktail, light it, AND throw it all in the same round, so I'm going to pause for dramatic effect.
    "You're insane!"

The two ninjas behind the bar leap over the counter and charge at Floyd, eager to close the distance before the man mixes them a cocktail that they cannot refuse.

By now, most the patrons of the establishment have run away screaming.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack Rolls:
    (1d20+7)[21]
    (1d20+7)[13]
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-03-08 at 01:15 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

22. - Top - End - #622
    Orc in the Playground

The Question

Kate regards Bruce curiously. "Magic charm, hm? Who taught you your sorcerer's ways?" She smiles to hide how she feels. It hurts to see Bruce like this, knowing now that there was a place he turned out alright. Of course, that place never existed now, a correction made to an entire erroneous universe. All that remains of it now were dreams.

Dreams have a strange way of coming true around Kate.

Kate accepts the slip of paper, opens her purse, and places it inside. "I promise, Bruce. Cross my heart."
    Last edited by Bruendor_Cavescout; 2012-03-08 at 05:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default The Black Balestratore

This was getting stranger as time passed. With a quick move Luigi hides the object among his clothes, hoping the person wouldn't notice. He stands "Alright, no need to get all worked out on that." he turns and leaves, not before casting a good glare on the man/woman. He/she will come after him in a few moments, and he hope that buys him enough time to see what's the nature of this mysterious package.

24. - Top - End - #624

Lock-Up

Time passes, as it is wont to do, and the two civil servants make their way through their entrees, desserts, and coffees in due course. It isn't until the sun has swung up and over its arcing apex that they finish, despite Lyle's desire for the contrary. He wish that he could freeze time, encapsulate this moment forever, with her eyes staring into his, a faint blush on her cheeks, and her lips curved into a smile. But time - or Time - waits for nothing, not even perfection. "It was," he agrees. "We could do it again sometime, if you want to."

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Luigi

It buys him six seconds.

"Thief! Stop! Thief!"

The young man points a finger squarely at Luigi, breaks into a charge towards the ex-mobster.

"Stop! Thief!"

Bruce

"Excellent."

He steeples his fingers together, and for a second, actually looks imposing and impressive. But Bruce is a shadow of the man he might have been, and while the gesture, on its own, is extremely impressive, the man behind it is decidedly not.

"...I think I want to sleep right now. Good night, Kate. Sorry I wasn't...strong...enough..."

He's asleep once his sentence is finished.

Lyle

"That would be...I would like that."

They're the only ones left in the cafe when they leave. The trio of individuals had long since come and gone, and the two begin a slow, leisurely walk back to the Slammer.

"Lyle...why do you do what you do?" she asks shortly after they leave.
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-03-08 at 09:02 PM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Floyd Lawton/Deadshot
    Condition: Surprisingly Self-Aware

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    "You're insane!"

The two ninjas behind the bar leap over the counter and charge at Floyd, eager to close the distance before the man mixes them a cocktail that they cannot refuse.

By now, most the patrons of the establishment have run away screaming.
    "No, I just have a narcissistic personality and no ability to recognize that my actions have consequences!" Floyd yelled back, giving the bar wench a thumbs up as he ducked the katana swipe and hit the nunchaku ninja in the bend of his elbow to mess up his swing. He then spun in a circle, swiping the flaming rag close enough to the nunchaku ninja's face to startle him somewhat, jumped on top of the pool table, and flung the molotov cocktail into the katana ninja's chest. The bottle promptly exploded, showering the thug's black pajamas with very clingy fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess it's a very small area attack or something? Giving an attack roll anyway.
    FIRE: (1d20+11)[21]
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2012-03-08 at 09:06 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627

Lock-Up

In the afternoon sun, even the murky waters of Gotham Bay are beautiful. As he exits the restaurant with Shondra, after being told that she would like to spend more time with him outside of the Slammer, Lyle Bolton is happy. It's not an emotion that he's altogether familiar with. For too long, Lyle Botlon was an angry man who directed his rage at criminality, the only acceptable target for the brutality he could unleash. He channeled his obsession with upholding perfect order into the first Slammer, which was little more than a neurotically-defended series of holding cells, and in which he kept his carefully hoarded prisoners. It wasn't until meeting Dream and receiving the pseudo-god's gift that he realized that his earlier self may not have been entirely sane. Faced with that sobering truth, Lyle had thrown himself into the disciplines of Eastern meditation and sought tranquility in the repetition of memorized mantras. While this certainly helped, his unease with himself prevented general happiness, and for a long time, maybe too long, he'd had to settle for being content. But he's happy, now, more so than he can remember ever having been before, and it's all due to Shondra Kinsolving.

Her question gives him pause, and he turns to face her. "You mean the Slammer? Or the costume?" He shakes his head. "Both, probably, since they're they're two parts of the same thing." He turns away from the water and motions for her to look inland, at the city itself. "I do this - we do this, you, me, and the Gotham Knights... because it's broken. Gotham City is sick, Shondra. It's not healthy and it's only getting worse. When I put on that costume and go cruising for trouble with Deadshot, we're treating the symptoms of that illness. When I'm in the Slammer, with you and the inmates, we're treating the illness itself. The muggers, the rapists, the druglords and pimps, they're poison, and they've been here so long that the city itself is dying. By setting them straight, by fixing them, we cure Gotham City a little bit at a time, crook by crook, crime by crime." He turns back to face her. "But mostly, I do it because it's what I was meant to do, Shondra."

28. - Top - End - #628
    Orc in the Playground

The Question

Kate glances down at Bruce with sympathetic eyes. The lengthy bout of lucidity had clearly strained the last Wayne, and she watches him as his chest rises and falls in his slumber. She brushed an idle lock of hair from his face, and said a silent prayer to the gaunt figure she'd met in a warehouse five years ago. You changed my life that day. Can you at least grant him some peace while he sleeps? This world is too dangerous for him.

After a few moments, Kate creeps silently away from Bruce's bed, opens the door, and slips out. Alfred is not far from the room, and she heads towards him. "He's asleep now, Alfred. He was better than I remember him. I hope he'll still be in a good mood when he awakens."

Goodbyes with Alfred were always strange - she'd once tried to give him a friendly hug as she left, but it made the both of them feel incredibly awkward. The old man deserved better - rest for his years of service, or at the very least transfer to a manor that wasn't slowly eroding. But he was too loyal to the Wayne family, she knew. He would die in Wayne Manor before he stopped serving Bruce. And what then, Bruce? What happens to you then?

29. - Top - End - #629

RedWizardGuy

Katherine Walker

Katherine looks at the girl and lets her eat. She can't help but think. Did she ever think this day might be coming? Did she ever try to prepare for it, mentally, the death of her mother? Or had she stayed awake into the morning praying for it to not happen? Or all three?

Katherine remembered Norman and Kima and Jimmy and Danielson. she'd thought they'd been almost invicable at times. Others, she was terrified for their lives. But she'd known, known, that none of them would betray the others. That if they would die it would at least be a threat from outside.

Well, look at how that went.

But Stephanie had to live with that reality throughout her life. Walker might have fooled herself into thinking that her friend would not betray them: the girl knew from young that the people who should help her would hurt her, whether through abuse or neglet, and for a kid she was so old sometimes. So goddamn old. Walker had at least something approaching a proper childhood.

And the worst part of it was that this was not even an uncommon tragedy. It happened every day. Today it just happened to Stephanie Brown, another girl who never deserved the hand life gave her. And all Walker could do was try and teach her how to play it.

She interrupted her thoughts to buy a drink. She was probably going to need another batch by the end of the day.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Black Balestatore

Luigi turns, steel in his eyes. With a nimble dodge, he tries to use the momentum of the young man's charge against him, making him stumble forward. "I am no thief, young man. I work with the police. You are doing strange dealings in the opera; my duty is to investigate, for the sake of the lives of these people. Your actions are suspicious enough sir as to rise suspects. Is this a bomb? Are you smuggling? Tell me now!" despite the sharpness of Luigi's words, he's looking for cooperation rather than fear.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+8)[19]
    JICR (1d20)[12]