New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Monk/Fighter Build

I have a Pathfinder game coming up, and am almost finished with my new character: a True Neutral Aasimar Monk of the Sacred Mountain 3/Freehand Fighter 1, meant to use a ridiculous variety of DR circumventing items. I'm kinda a novice at this, and would like any suggestions, sorry I didn't add any of my skills.

Ability Scores (25 point buy):
    18 Strength
    18 Dexterity
    10 Constitution
    10 Intelligence
    17 Wisdom
    6 Charisma

Feats:
    Dodge
    Mobility
    Deflect Arrows
    Scorpion Style
    Combat Expertise

Traits:
    Strong Arm, Supple Wrist
    Heirloom Weapon

Items:
    Heirloom Adamantine Temple Sword
    Defender Mithral Cestus
    Darkwood Composite Longbow (Strength Bonus 4)
    4 Returning Anarchic/Axiomatic/Holy/Unholy Shuriken
    100 Cold Iron Arrows

Is there anything I could do to improve this a bit? Any issues that might come up? Any way to abuse those Shuriken?
    Last edited by Nexaduro; 2011-04-25 at 04:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Monk/Fighter Build

Can you legally apply returning to shuriken? I thought that property was only legal for thrown weapons, and shuriken are technically ammunition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Popertop View Post
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rules seem kinda sketchy on shuriken. My DM seems happy to allow it, and considering how strict he usually is, I'm not complaining.

Though I probably shouldn't push my luck on the matter. Shuriken aside, anything else need improvement?
    Last edited by Nexaduro; 2011-04-25 at 06:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

DruidGuy

You didn't note the toughness bonus feat from Monk of the Sacred mountain on your list.

Additionally, MotSM doesn't synergize well with mobility; it looks like it's meant for the full attack based on the fact that several of its powers require that you not move. Rather than MotSM, I might suggest looking at Monk of the Open Hand. The improvised weapon proficiencies mean that you can effectively bypass damage type based DRs more effectively (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing).

As a monk, you're going to have a little bit of trouble hitting things, so rather than combat expertise, I might also suggest improved trip. As a monk, you get a bonus to maneuvers, so that comes in handy.
    Last edited by subject42; 2011-04-25 at 07:14 PM.
    Congratulations sir, only a proud, great and terrible few have managed to produce an epic frown from me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah. Forgot to mention. Changed my Alignment to True Neutral, part of my background mostly, I'm not going to take any more levels in Monk. DM doesn't allow Martial Artist either, or I would've taken it for those 3 levels.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions, the game won't be for a while so I have time to do a rebuild.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

What kind of character do you want to play? We might be able to match up the mechanics to your concept better and handle certain aspects of backstory simply as backstory.

Also, is this game straight d20pfsrd?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Every time I see a con of 10 on a melee character I wince. I would take some time to consider what you want to be able to do and see what you can give up to get some points into con. Right now you are very squishy. Personally I like having a 14 or better but that is just me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pretty much, 42. The character I wanted was a sort of Monk-turned-monster-hunter/mercenary, and someone who could step in and do some damage when the rest of the party was turning tail. DM also pretty much said that if one more character optimized he would start throwing Dragons at us.
    Anyways, I like my Shuriken, so I don't really want to deal with giving up whichever go against my alignment. Gimmicks are fun, and DM already vetoed my Natural Weapons face-shredder character, Intelligent Sword person, and colossal-shuriken-as-a-hula-hoop guy.

Meepos, I was trying for high AC instead, though you're probably right. Just that I've already taken my Charisma down to 6 WITH a racial +2 modifier, and I don't really want to dump Intelligence that much.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Why Fighter?
    Pathfinder Monks get the equivalent of full BAB as a class feature, have good saves across the board, better skill points, about the only thing you are getting is feats,
    Personally, if you are going monk/x, Ranger would work better in core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

You think so? Dunno... the only relevant melee Combat Style doesn't give me any benefit if I have flurry of blows and my weapons are mostly Monk... Then again that bow of mine might use a promotion, and perhaps it would be best if squishies were kept further back. Could help with my Shuriken too.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

May I suggest Hungry Ghost Monk 2/Inquisitor 2?

I kind of like the idea of a monk that is forced from his order, and without that enforced discipline, moves farther and farther into the more heterodox applications of his training.

Conceptually, you would be more and more divorced from the traditional ascetic vision of the monk as you level, losing none of your power but breaking away from the limitations that kept you from being truly dangerous to others.

Mechanically, you would have evasion, Punishing Kick, bonus feats, Wisdom-based spellcasting, limited domain access, Wisdom to AC, wisdom to initiative, and judgments.

With Wisdom to AC and initiative, you could afford to dump dexterity a little and boost CON.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not a bad suggestion. I confess that I skipped over readings of both Hungry Ghost and the Inquisitor class, the first because I wanted an AC and HP bonus and the second because I'm lazy and inexperienced with casters.

I'll look into it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I see a "missing" power attack. Combat expertise is not that great, IMO. As for shuriken, they are definitely thrown weapons, no technicalities at all. They are DRAWN as ammunition though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In Pathfinder, shurikens are ammunition as far as their fate after throwing them and quick drawing them is concerned. The upside is, you can buy the enchanted versions in bulk.

But nothing stops a GM from houseruling that a player can have a number of 'pet' shuriken that get treated as thrown weapons when it comes to survivability.

Just beware of foes with 'Snatch Arrow'.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

15. - Top - End - #15

Have you seen the Brawler Fighter Archetype? Basically, they get a bunch of bonuses with close weapons, including unarmed strikes. I've had a lot of fun combining them with Monks before. Here. If you don't think it would get your character turned down, You might want to ask your DM if you can take the Dungeoncrasher Fighter ACF from Dungeonscape. It's a 3.5 book, but it goes perfectly with Brawler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronikoce View Post
    If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to hold it for me you wouldn't say they were wielding the candlestick. If I handed someone a candlestick and asked them to club an intruder to death you would say they were wielding the candlestick. The act of using the held item for a purpose such as intruder clubbing changes the word that ought to be used.