New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [GURPS] Magic: the Gathering

In this thread, I ultimately decided on GURPS as the system to model Magic: the Gathering. d20/D&D 3.5 could probably do okay as well, but for now, GURPS.

I've decided to use threshold magic, from GURPS: Thaumatology, and magical styles from GURPS: Thaumatology - Magical Styles.

For those without access to those books:

Spoiler
    Show
    The basic way threshold magic works is, using the regular GURPS spells, you can spend as much energy on a spell as you want, but you tally up all the energy you've used. Once you go over your "threshold" (normally 30), you start making calamity rolls, with work a lot like fright checks, with +1 to the result roll per 5 over your threshold you are, but with different results. Tally dissapears slowly, the standard being 8 per day.

Magical styles are basically a collection of spells. You need to take a perk to learn a style, and to do that, you need to meet the style's prerequisites, and know all the style's requried skills and spells. I'm using the simple model of alternate prerequisites they suggest in the book, which is to divide the spells into levels, and generally require half of the previous level spells in roder to take the next level. In addition, every 20 points any mage takes in spells allwos them to buy one magical perk, and every 10 points they take in spelsl from a style lets them buy another (thus every 20 points allows 3 perks if you use a style). Styles give access to special perks that normal mages can't take.

I've created PDFs of my work so far. I have the basic rules document, which explains the differences between MtG spellcasting and regular Threshold magic, which magical perks any mage can take, etc., and a document full of styles. I've got blue, red, and green styles done (though green still need perks), plus Izzet guildmages, from Ravnica.

Basic rules: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/GURPS%20MtG.pdf
    Styles: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Styles.pdf

Next up is Black and White styles, and then more Guildmages, then probably planeswalker rules.

If anyone wants to help out with this, I could use styles from other planes, and racial templates for all the whacky Magic races and monsters.
    Last edited by Goober4473; 2011-05-17 at 11:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS] Magic: the Gathering

Looks rather interesting, can you tell me the page-s in Thaumatology where the magic styles are mentioned?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [GURPS] Magic: the Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by jpreem View Post
    Looks rather interesting, can you tell me the page-s in Thaumatology where the magic styles are mentioned?
    Thaumatology - Magical Styles is actually a seperate minibook: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-1652

Threshold Magic is on page 76 of the normal Thaumatology, but I'm guessing you could find that one okay.