New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default (MnM 2e) The Nanoguard (Character build help)

So I was watching Iron Man, and I thought, "I should build a suit character." I got a little hung up on how to make it original at first, and then I hit upon the idea of nanobots. Which of course brought up the question of whether he would actually have a suit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyway, the point is that I really like this idea of a supergenius who invents nanomachines that meld with his body and give him superpowers in some way. Problem is, I can't settle on what form I want that to take. I have decided on a few things:
    • The nanobots can heal him, effectively giving him regeneration (no idea what level of power though)
    • He can interface with computers, read radio waves, etc.
    • Aside from a superhuman intelligence he's not that far above average in his stats.
    • His hero name is "The Nanoguard." I'm not sure what it means beyond the reference to his nanobots, but I like the sound of it.

But that still leaves me with a lot of unanswered questions, namely, his combat capabilities, and his appearance as a superhero. I've got some ideas, but since none of them have really grabbed me, I'm entirely open to suggestions:
    • He's been physically altered and enhanced by the nanobots, he's stronger, faster, more durable, etc.
    • The nanobots can fabricate/form into a tech-suit that is kinda like a second skin.
    • The nanobots can alter his physical features on the fly, turning limbs into weapons, changing appearance, etc.
    • The nanobots actual contributions are only regenerative abilities and enhanced communication between his brain and cybernetic components that are his real power.

So I've settled on a concept, but I'm now having trouble with the build. The concept now is that the nanobots enhance certain things within The Nanoguard's body (radio communcation, ability to interface/talk to electronics, enhanced intelligence, healing) and they generate an EM field around his body that allows him to manipulate ambient light (much fuzzier on what this should do, maybe hard light constructs, energy blasts, force fields, etc.). Anyone got suggestions on what would be a fairly good PL 10 build? Current stats I'm thinking of are Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 30, Wis 14, Cha 12.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-05-07 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (MnM 2e) The Nanoguard (Character concept help)

Refer to Core pg 130, and read the box: "UNDER THE HOOD: DEVICES VS. EQUIPMENT".

Basically, for something to qualify under the Device Container, it must be easy to take away. If its a bunch of implanted nanomachines, then it is not a device, and instead should be treated as powers that have [nanomachine] as their descriptor.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Refer to Core pg 130, and read the box: "UNDER THE HOOD: DEVICES VS. EQUIPMENT".

Basically, for something to qualify under the Device Container, it must be easy to take away. If its a bunch of implanted nanomachines, then it is not a device, and instead should be treated as powers that have [nanomachine] as their descriptor.
    Yeah, I got that, I was trying to pin down what his powers might be.
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, right.

It might help to ask your party mates what they are running, and then building something that can fill the empty niches.

Other than that, its ultimately your character. The flexibility of M&M means that you can make him pretty much whatever you want. Especially since Nanotech as a descriptor is sufficiently broad to enact almost any effect. , So visualize for yourself what you really want him to do, what do you think would be cool, and work from there.

Or if you want someone who can really pull all sorts of crazy stuff on the fly, try taking Shapeshift. Just try not to break the GM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Oh, right.

It might help to ask your party mates what they are running, and then building something that can fill the empty niches.

Other than that, its ultimately your character. The flexibility of M&M means that you can make him pretty much whatever you want. Especially since Nanotech as a descriptor is sufficiently broad to enact almost any effect. , So visualize for yourself what you really want him to do, what do you think would be cool, and work from there.

Or if you want someone who can really pull all sorts of crazy stuff on the fly, try taking Shapeshift. Just try not to break the GM.
    Yes well, that's why I'm looking for ideas, I'm not sure what I want him to be able to do. I don't have any teammates, this is a concept without a game ATM.

Edit: Idea! A combination of internal hardware, and external Hard Light Contructs. Hmmm, could work.
    Last edited by Jallorn; 2011-05-07 at 11:54 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: (MnM 2e) The Nanoguard (Character build help)

This sounds very much like the characters from the Blassreiter anime. Might help provide visuals, if you want them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nanobots are extremely flexible handwaviums. You could be a shapeshifter, a speedster, a tank, or all of the above.

Passive:
    Regeneration is obvious.
    Various Immunities, such as to disease/poison are associated with nanobots.
    Super senses is easy enough.
    Super reflexes/strength, yup.
    Armor is cool. It can also be the kind that requires activation.

Subterfuge:
    Re-arranging features has many uses.
    Injecting nanobots into targets, then using transmissions to see through their senses.
    Injecting nanobots into brains, then controlling foes.

Offensive:
    Un-healable wounds and Disintegrate effects.
    Lightning rays would be fun.
    Drain (whatever), by injecting hostile nanobots into foes.

Necromancy:
    Animating dead foes with injected nanobots in their neurons.

A good way to do this is make everything into an array, meaning your nanobots can do many things, but not everything at the same time. If they are currently providing an exoskeleton, they are not available to heal wounds, for example.

If you just want general concepts, well. "Alex Mercer"-shapeshifter is badass, Spy is interesting, techno-Necromancer is more unique with nanobots...

I'd ask the DM what kind of game he wants...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm, perhaps if some of your bots can leave you, you could make a Summon effect, perhaps like a swrm-type thing or the bots form another shape.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

At an extreme end, you could go with Shapeshifting - the character has literally been converted into a swarm of collectively sentient nanobots - with regeneration as an alternate power of that.

If you inject the nanobots into someone else, you could use Transformation to do to them what you can do to yourself, and pick healing as an alternate power for that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Nanomachines? Enhanced senses and physical abilities seem to work well here. I also suggest picking "must repeat things said to you, but with a question mark at the end" as a complication.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

My suggestions give a few base always on powers, and then have an Offensive Array, Defensive Array, Sense Array, and other options that you want.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

If you are ready to start dodging books, then here goes: Pick up a grain of sand. Use physical transform (type 6) with continuous to turn it into a small nanobot. Use mental transform (type 3) with continuous to give it a mind. Make sure to have ridiculously low will save. Use possession to take it over. Apply the contagious power modifier to all of these powers. Put the grain down on a beach. The process will repeat itself indefinitely. The saves for the powers do not need to be high, as the point is not to transform characters. The wave of transformation will expand, giving you truly ridiculous size, awareness, and power.
    Last edited by Silverlich; 2011-05-18 at 08:45 PM.