New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion IV: Roll Join Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    But extensive Infernal charm use might put the fear of the Dragons into the locals.
    Why? No one knows what a Green Sun Prince is. There's nothing they do that is inherently hellish (at least, as far as the average yokel could tell).

If I'm not mistaken, Anathema are already considered demons...
    Your point?

...so not too far off the mark for GSP's, and even where the Immaculate doctrine isn't taken seriously, it is still often known.
    See above, and also note that even if people could surmise information about the GSPs, they still wouldn't likely view them any more negatively than a Solar.

Infernal charm use is inherently disturbing and icky.
    Oh, we're going this route, are we?

First of all, no, it's not. Not any more so than anyone else's Charms. After all, do you think the "I punch someone inside-out" Charm is going to be any more gory than the results of the Solar attack that dealt 45L to an extra?

Second, they're not going to care. You're either using said "disturbing and icky" powers in a way that benefits them (in which case they'll be appreciative), or a way that hinders them (in which case the fact that you did it with GSP Charms isn't going to make them hate you any more for it).

But if a GSP starts using essence, people aren't going to be as friendly with them as with an equivalent Solar or Lunar in the same situation...
    Why not? It's not like anyone knows what they're dealing with. They're going to respond in exactly the same way as they would to a Solar or Lunar. The only guys who'd even have a chance of acting differently are going to be the guys with impossibly-high Occult/Lore, and even they're gonna just be like, "Huh, never seen one of those before."

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Yes, I'm sure when the Defiler walks into town and starts putting people limbs back on, miraculously cures all of their sicknesses, transmutes some dirt into the equivalent of a few billion dollars worth of Jade, and then telekinetically beats up that Behemoth that's been terrorizing them, it'll be all pitchforks and torches.[/sarcasm]
    +1.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-04 at 06:04 PM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Protip: they don't. Well some savants may know what vitriol is, but they wouldn't know that the magical materials can be tainted with it to make it more easily attuned by a type of Exalt no one has ever heard of.
    Actually, they might: akuma use this stuff too, so it's been around for thousands of years. But I suspect many akuma suck up the double mote cost for attuning an out-of-aspect material, rather than carry around an item that might give them away, so the knowledge is probably rather esoteric.

Also, I feel I should point out that while many Infernal Charm uses aren't inherently creepy, their animas sort of are. They're not Abyssal-creepy by any means, but they have a tendency to nauseate mortal onlookers, and give the young and impressionable disturbing dreams for weeks afterwards. Not to mention that those familiar with Malfeas will probably recognize the light of Ligier in their anima.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thought experiment: Fastest possible starting character (excluding teleportation, and arbitrary speeds like Glance and Stride). More specifically, the highest per-tick speed achievable by the character's own efforts, enhanced by charms, artifacts, etc., but not by other creatures, vehicles, mounts, etc.

(I decided to try for "starting character", purely because with high/unlimited XP, Eclipse > everything, and merely listing all the speed-boosting charms ever sounded rather boring.)

I topped out at about 860k yards/tick, roughly 1.75 million miles per hour, with the caveat that it's only for three ticks, and he has to be fleeing something/someplace/someone.

Details within:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Green Flash
    Full Moon Lunar Malfean Akuma, using these alternate rules for lunar chargen. Spirit shape is a gyrfalcon- very fast, very high-Dex, and the bird of kings.

Attributes: Dex 7 (we're going to be Essence 6, and akuma get their cap boosted by a further 1.), Stm 4, Wits 3, and sacrifice the remaining 10 points for +10BP. Everything else at 1.
    Abilities: Sacrifice all 28 dots for +28BP.
    Virtues: Conviction 3; sacrifice the other 3 dots for +9BP.
    3 free Knacks:
    --Deadly Beastman Transformation
    --Perfected Hybrid Interaction
    --Hybrid Body Rearrangement
    7 free Charms:
    --Third Dexterity Excellency
    --Instinctive Dexterity Unity
    --Instinct-Driven Beast Movement
    --Flight of the Sparrow
    --Sacrifice the other three for +12BP.
    7 free Background points:
    Manse 3 (Vitriol, Stone of the Chrysalis)
    Artifact 3 (Demon Ink Tattoo- any that grants +2 Dex; the abilities and specialties are irrelevant.)
    Artifact 1 (Perfected Boots)

15BP from Lunar.
    30BP from Demonic Inheritance.
    20BP from negative mutations (any that don't affect movement, Dex, Stm, or Wits.)
    And 59 from sacrificing basic stuff.
    Total bonus points available: 124.
    -40BP @ Essence 6. (84)
    -1BP for Attribute Reallocation Pox. (83)
    -21BP @ three Malfeas charms: By Pain Reforged, By Rage Recast, Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai. (62)
    -7BP for Artifact 5, for moonsilver Wings of the Raptor. (55)
    -5BP for Artifact 4, for Prosthetic of Clockwork Elegance (legs). (50)
    -7BP for Manse 5 (Solar: Gem of Perfected Mobility) (43)
    -10BP to increase Willpower to 10. (33)
    -30BP for five copies of the Hybrid Body Rearrangement knack. (3)
    -2BP for Moonsilver Skin-Mount Amulet.
    -1BP for...something. Athletics 1, maybe.

We have the following (positive) mutations available:
    Hybrid Body Rearrangement: (Ess+4)*5= 50.
    ---God-Body Abomination x8: 48pts. Dexterity +24. The mutation is explicitly stackable, and it transforms your physical body into a perfected form, rather than simply making you magically-dexterous, so as far as I can tell it counts as natural Dex for Charm caps.
    ---Supernatural Quickness Affliction: 2pts. Dex +2 for movement calculations.
    Deadly Beastman Transformation: Ess+4 = 10.
    ---God-Body Abomination x1: Dexterity +3.
    ---Cheetah's Pace Blight: Dex +6 for movement rates.
    Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai: Ess*10 = 60
    ---God-Body Abomination x10 = Dexterity +30.
    Stone of the Chrysalis: Ess*4 = 24.
    ---God-Body Abomination x4: Dexterity +12.

Finally, after using the Chrysalis Stone to mutate yourself until you get a set of negative mutations that doesn't hinder your move speed or Dexterity, turn your Demonic Patron 5 background (free with akuma) into Artifact 5, and grab a set of Moonsilver Celestial Power Armor (Enchanted Stride; the other features can be whatever you want), and use the Chrysalis Stone to power it.

Now. We'll be dashing, but we'll add that in later.
    *Dexterity starts at 7.
    *Attribute Reallocation pox: Stm 4>3, Dex 7>8.
    *God-Body x23: +69 = 77.
    *Deadly Beastman Transformation: +1 = 78
    *Commit eight motes to Instinctive Dexterity Unity, and use Third Dexterity Excellency on every action to double Dex for that action. 78*2 = 156.
    *Cheetah's Pace: +6 = 162
    *Supernatural Quickness: +2 = 164.
    *Prosthetics of Clockwork Elegance: +1 = 165.
    Perfected Boots: +6 = 171.
    *Demon Ink Tattoo: Dex +2 = 173
    Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai adds Essence to move & dash speeds. +6 = 179
    *Dashing: +6 = 185.

The Full Moon anima doubles move speeds, stacking with other speed-increasers, but only adding a factor equal to the original amount. I've assumed this to mean "Dex - mobility penalty - wound penalty + 6", including Dex increases and "treat Dex as n higher for purposes of calculating movement rate", since those modify the standard elements of the move speed calculation, but not post-Dex flat bonuses, which add additional values to the calculation. Based on that assumption, the Full Moon anima will add +173.

Full Moon Anima: +173 = 358

Now, based on the wording of the anima power that says, "...adding a factor equal to the original value, not continuing to multiply by two...", I conclude that while the anima only doubles the base move speed before flat-adders, its addition can be multiplied normally by other speed-multipliers. After all, if it can't be multiplied, it'll never be a "factor", will it? It would just have been a bonus or an increase or something; the use of the word "factor" heavily implies that it's multiply-able.

Now we take a time out and figure out how much Essence we have left. Totaling Personal and Peripheral, Lunars get (Ess*5)+(WP*4)+(highest Virtue*4). 85. Skin-Mount Amulet makes that 95. Out of that, we've committed or spent...
    10m to attune Celestial Power Armor.
    11m to attune and activate the Wings of the Raptor.
    12m to activate Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai.
    1m to attune Perfected Boots.
    8m to attune Prosthetic of Clockwork Elegance.
    All of this adds up to 42m, assuming we Hybrid-Body-Rearrangement'd and transformed into our God-Body form and then regenerated those motes. So we have 53m remaining.

Flight of the Sparrow: 3m (leaving us with 50m), doubles Move and Dash as long as our friend is trying to escape pursuit or otherwise GTFO of a mess. x2 = 716.
    Instinct-Driven Beast Movement: 4n motes; multiplies movement rate by (1+n). With 44 motes (saving 6m, 5 for Essence Stride and 1 leftover), we can manage a x12 multiplier. (One Scene duration, by the way.) x12 = 8592.
    Celestial Power Armor: Peripatetic Greaves: double movement rate. x2 = 17,184.
    Wings of the Raptor: Fly at five times running speed. x5 = 85,920.
    Finally: Celestial Power Armor: Enchanted Stride: Dash action and spend 5m, compress the fabric of Creation to multiply speed x10; expressly compatible with other enhancers. Presumably lasts for the three ticks of a normal dash action. x10 = 859,200.

So. We can dash for three ticks at 859,200 yards per tick, and then at a tenth of that for as long as we want. How fast is that, exactly?
    859,200 yards/tick = 1,757,454.55 miles per hour. That's about 71 times the current manned speed record, set by the Apollo 10 capsule on its way back to Earth from the Moon in 1969.

On those three ticks, we can travel a total of 1,464.54 miles, or about the distance from Washington DC to Denver, Colorado. For those of you in Europe, about a hundred and fifty miles further than London to St. Petersburg.

In three seconds.

Why would such an akuma be created, you ask?

Easy. Malfeas decided to make something that could outrun Adorjan, just for the heck of it. Of course, this guy lacks any sort of defenses, so Adorjan killed him on contact, and the issue was never settled. Besides- for three seconds? Adorjan can run(/fly/swim/whatever) forever. A three-second challenger isn't even a joke to her.

Oh, and on a standard day at sea level- that's Mach 2,309.
    Now watch, I give it a day at most before meschlum posts a faster Fair Folk.

(Admittedly, any of the Grace-Magic-as-NI-mote-battery tricks would allow extremely large activations of Instinct-Driven Beast Movement, and the mote regain could probably be accelerated fast enough to use Enchanted Stride every three ticks- that's only, what, 6k motes per hour? Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with besides that.)

-Psy
    Last edited by Psyborg; 2011-05-04 at 10:50 PM.
    delete Teemo.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

So you have a Lunar akuma who get's told that the spec in front of him is going to eat him, freaks out because he fails his Int roll, and runs 2850 yards in the opposite direction, with his foot tied to the tooth of the Kukla.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Slight problem. I'm pretty sure you can't get more than 10BP from flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by senrath View Post
    Slight problem. I'm pretty sure you can't get more than 10BP from flaws.
    You absolutely can't, but it doesn't look like he did. He used the akuma creation rules to take negative mutations, which explicitly work differently. Just off the top of my head I'm pretty sure though that an adorjani akuma can still go faster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Flaws != negative mutations. Flaws are from Scroll of Heroes, and the entire flaw/merit system is widely regarded as hopelessly imbalanced, so I avoided using it.

From the Demonic Inheritance description:
    "Each dot of Demonic Inheritance gives the character additional bonus points to apply at character creation. These bonus points can be spent on anything except Backgrounds. Each dot also represents the maximum number of negative demonic mutations the character can take in order to acquire even more bonus points."
    "..."
    "••••• You are a minor lord of Hell. Your sire was a demon of the Third Circle, or else your endowment was a fulfillment of some dark prophecy meant to bring about a truly powerful agent of the Yozis. You gain 30 additional bonus points at character creation and may take up to 20 points in negative demonic mutations."

Edit: @Golentan: It's bizarre, but no, Adorjani akuma are slower than Malfean ones, at least at lower levels.

Adorjani speed-boosters:
    Max-purchased Wind-Borne Stride: Essence 2 = 4 yards / 14BP; 3 = 9 yards / 21BP, 4 = 16 yards / 28BP, 5 = 25 yards / 35BP, 6 = 36 yards / 42BP, 7 = 49 yards / 49BP, 8 = 64 yards / 56BP, 9 = 81 yards / 63BP, 10 = 100 yards / 70BP.

Racing Vitaris: Requires Wind-Borne Stride + 14BP (for Thousandfold Typhoon Hand and itself). Provides a x3 multiplier for 5m.

Malfeas speed-boosters:
    Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai: Essence * 10 points of mutations. For each 6 points, one God-Body will get you +3 Dex which you can then double with Third Dexterity Excellency. Subject to rounding errors at certain Essence values, you basically get Essence * 10 yards, pre-multipliers, for a flat 21BP.

Now, the higher your pre-multiplication value is, the more valuable the extra Adorjani multiplier is, and the more multipliers you have, the more valuable the extra pre-multiplication value from Malfeas is. So the optimal choice of akuma patron may go back and forth as you increase the XP level.
    Last edited by Psyborg; 2011-05-04 at 11:33 PM.
    delete Teemo.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You absolutely can't, but it doesn't look like he did. He used the akuma creation rules to take negative mutations, which explicitly work differently. Just off the top of my head I'm pretty sure though that an adorjani akuma can still go faster.
    Yeah, I didn't realize that the akuma creation rules had no limit on what you could sacrifice for BP, so I thought he was bringing in the flaws that do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

9. - Top - End - #579
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's not how multipliers work in Exalted. If you add a x2 modifier to a x2 modifier, you get a x3 modifier, not a x4. x2 means "add the base modifier again" in Exalted, x3 means "add it twice", and so on. So that trick doesn't work, sadly.

Also, starting Lunar Essence is capped at 3. I don't believe akuma-hood can bypass those restrictions. There's also something with the mutation rules that doesn't work in there, I think, but I don't know enough about those to say for certain.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2011-05-04 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Call me Captain Sky-Cutter
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    There's also something with the mutation rules that doesn't work in there I think, but I don't know enough about those to say for certain.
    You're probably noticing that God Body is a mutation reserved only for Godbloods because of how powerful and abusable it would be for Exalts to have.

And, that, even then, the maximum number of times you can take a stackable mutation is (Essence) times.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ettin in the Playground

So I was listening to Short Skirt, Long Jacket.

I'm thinking a Chosen of Battles with Methodology of Secrets ("mind like a diamond," "knows what's best"), God-Kicking Boots that do lethal damage ("shoes that cut"), the Ever-Open Eye hearthstone ("gets up early," "stays up late"), Deadly Starmetal Offensive ("fingernails that shine like justice"), and the Fateful Excellency for Bureaucracy and Melee ("uses a machete to cut through red tape").

Does anyone else occasionally write up characters inspired by songs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    That's not how multipliers work in Exalted. If you add a x2 modifier to an x2 modifier, you get an x3 modifier, not a x4. x2 means "add the base modifier again" in Exalted, x3 means "add it twice again", and so on. So that trick doesn't work.
    While Instinct-Driven Beast Movement specifies this for itself, and the Full Moon anima power says something similar (and slightly unclear, too, darnit), I'm unaware of any "DnD math" general rule on stacking multipliers in Exalted. Do you have a page reference?

Also, starting Lunar Essence is capped at 3. I don't believe akuma-hood can bypass those restrictions.
    "Absent Storyteller approval, however, a newly created akuma cannot possess an Essence rating above 6."
    There's also something with the mutation rules that doesn't work in there I think, but I don't know enough about those to say for certain.
    God-Body's increase to physical stats may not count as natural, thereby preventing it from being doubled by Third Dexterity Excellency. Other than that, I'm not sure what; everything else seemed pretty clear-cut to me when I was researching it, although it later occurred to me that I could have squeezed out a smidge more speed by replacing one of the God-Body Abominations with a (non-stackable, but marginally more efficient in terms of Dex-per-BP) Serpent's Body. On the other hand, that would have made wearing Perfected Boots problematic, to say the least.

EDIT: And God-Body is reserved for God-Blooded, the general classification of Children of the Mighty, not God-Blooded, those specifically descended from gods. Its description even mentions demon-blooded, fae-blooded, ghost-blooded, and rare half-caste versions of it. Now, God-Blooded can be made via physical reproduction or by Endowment. Guess what akumafication is? Endowment. Demonic Inheritance is Inheritance for Demon-Blooded. Akumahood grants you a noticeable, physical demonic heritage.

Whether this makes acquiring God-Body via Hybrid Body Rearrangement and Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai legal is...doubtful. On the other hand, it seems pretty plain that an akuma could legally buy the mutation with bonus points in the normal fashion, since s/he is, in fact, demon-blooded.

Regarding Essence as a stacking limit...huh. Wonder how I missed that; where is it? Every other stackable mutation I've seen has a specific limit in its description. God Body just says "...can be taken multiple times to reflect a particularly powerful God Body form. Each time..." So I assumed it didn't have a specific limit, much like Hybrid Body Rearrangement can be taken as many times as you want.
    Last edited by Psyborg; 2011-05-04 at 11:54 PM.
    delete Teemo.

13. - Top - End - #583

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    You're probably noticing that God Body is a mutation reserved only for Godbloods because of how powerful and abusable it would be for Exalts to have.

And, that, even then, the maximum number of times you can take a stackable mutation is (Essence) times.
    Oh, right, I was missing the mechanical balance in the Scroll of Heroes.

Didn't even think to look for that.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Oh, we're going this route, are we?
    Page 29, MoEP: Infernals. The Infernal anima is nauseating and clearly demonic in nature.

If you're helping people with demon magic, they'll like it, but they'll still think you're a demon - Just a nice one (or one who hasn't asked for their price yet).

Those charms you can reflavor, sure, you can use with your personal essence, at which point you're hiding your nature much like an Abyssal would under the same circumstance, for much the same reasons.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon-blooded animas are destructive of everything around them. Your argument is invalid due to this fact. If people can accept elemental blue-bloods with a fiery anima burning everyone that gets too close or a guy with rocks surrounding him cut everyone too careless to be around them, then some feelings of nausea ain't gonna deter them
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    Wonder how I missed that; where is it?
    Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroll of Errata, page 12
    Stackable mutations may apply their benefits no more than the character’s (Essence rating) times. Any additional applications of such mutations are merely cosmetic.
    So, to clarify, you can have a billion God Body purchases, but only (Essence) of them give you any benefit whatsoever. The rest just eat your bonus points or whatever.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-05 at 12:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Barbarian in the Playground

A challenge!

Speed bypassing hacks:

- A Chancel gives you access to the Wyld, and multiple entrances / exits. Walk in, step out elsewhere. Deny any claims you've cheated. Problem: range is limited to about ~1 mile, and start / end points are fixed.

- Translucent Dream Sheathing Technology allows you to create boots that explicitly let you run at 5^5^5^5^5 miles per hour. Problem: your speed could be contested with a Charm or stunt, allowing others to catch up or get in your way.

- Wyld-surfing lets you move a few thousand miles per scene. Just have very short scenes. Problem: you can only do this in Wyld areas. Solution: turn Creation into the Wyld.

- Unreal Shipwright's Method once allowed you to have vehicles moving at 200 mph. Post-errata, the surpassing glory of incredible speed that was once attained in the First Age is a terrifying 40 miles per hour. Truly, it was an Age of incredible wonders. Said vehicle still helps for Wyld travel, potentially tripling your speed there.

- Imposition of Law lets you win races. Sadly, the Lunar is using a Charm.

Time to hack some numbers.

Najroda, Emissary of haste

A skilled Cataphract, Najroda seeks nothing more than to conquer in every battle there is, by means of being present in all of them. Acquiring a plethora of minor Wyld tokens, the Raksha has ventured into Creation, for the Wyld has proven too slow for its tastes.

Essence 3 (10 bp)
    Valor 5, Temperance 4 (1 bp) - gives Sword 5 and Ring 4
    Artifact 3

Starting Dexterity 7

High Manipulation and Medicine

10 Charms + Assumption:
    Permanent Assumption of Bestial Form (Cheetah) - grants 5 mutation points
    * Cheetah's Pace (4)
    * Attribute Reallocation? Why not? Raise Dex by 1.
    Wyld Communion
    Spirit Flaying Meditation
    All Consuming God Monster Stance (Lumbering Feet of God, Calling Upon the Dragon's Ire, Heart Stopping Numinous Power)
    Glorious Hero Form - grants +1 Dex
    6 free

1-dot inward facing Oneiromancy: Winged Sandals
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion (Speed)
    Air Transformation (winged being) - grants 8 points of mutations
    * Wings (6)
    * Supernatural Quickness (+2 Dex for move purposes)
    Gossamer Wing Flight
    Adored by All the World - have Followers 3 ready to be consumed whenever you need them. Hello gossamer!
    Heaven Rains Wisdom - because there might be useful Hearthstone around.
    Mad God Mien - Countermagic is bad and a spare point to use.

1-dot Outward Facing Oneiromancy: Lightning Bolt
    Assumption of Air Shape
    Manacles of Virtue - enhances Sword up to 10.
    Adaptation to Adversity - protection from environmental damage due to moving very fast.
    Snail Transformation - anyone moving faster than the owner of the spell is turned into a snail, with suitable flaws. Quadriplegic sounds about right.

Five 1-dot Adjurations granting Racing Dragon Speed * 2 each.

Dex is 9 (7 + 1 Glorious Hero Form + 1 Attribute Reallocation)
    +8 from mutations gives 17
    +50 from Racing Dragon Speed * 10 (possible thanks to Sword 10), for 67.

So base Dash speed is 73.

Times 6 for flying and Lumbering Feet of God, for a total of 438.

Total of 21/30 motes committed (10 for God Monster Stance, 6 for Oneiromancies, 5 for Adjurations).

No major cheese employed, and I still have 7 background dots, 7 bp and 6 Charms to assign, so I'm actually capable of doing things!

If I want to free some motes, I just need Retinue 4 to have a Worker with God Monster Form take over the mote commitment for the Oneiromancies, freeing 6 motes. I can take Racing Dragon Speed as a Charm (up to 5 times), freeing a few extra motes and artifact dots.

EDIT: With 4 bp, I can up my Artifact background to 5 and pick up a Wyld analog of a speed boosting Artifact or two.

How to get to Gouda level

Gossamer Stacks

Fantastic Grotesquerie Shell gives me 6 mutation points - God Monster Body!

Each time I use 6 gossamer, I pick up the mutation.

* Less Cheesy reading: I need to use a different Charm slot each time I take God Monster Body for +3 Dex. So only +18 Dex (+108 move) once I have the gossamer.

* Fun reading: every time I put 6 gossamer into the single Charm, I get the mutation. Ka ching! Throw in a few thousand gossamer and come back in the morning.

EDIT: this is limited to 5 applications (Yay Heart Stopping Numinous Power!), so +90 move. Sadness.

Ring of Ridiculous Transmutations

A very simple Oneiromancy, the Ring alters its bearer so that they take on a plethora of elemental aspects simultaneously, granting them outrageous amounts of power.

1-dot Oneiromancy, with 4 * Elemental Transformation.
    Grants 4 * God Body Transformation, for Dex benefits.

If you have an Essence 3+ minion or ally, they can commit the motes for you, so you are limited to 10 times your total Essence 3+ minions. Retinue 4+ gives you (2 or 5) Heroic Commoners, who can have Essence 3 at character creation.
    Artifact 5 (4 bp) would give you 8 of these, so Retinue 4 is plenty. This grants +24 Dex, or 144 more speed.

Your other Heroic Commoner is a Diplomat, with Cup Forging Art, and can therefore pump out arbitrarily large numbers of Rings.

So with Retinue 5 (Artifact 4) and a Chancel in which to store your minions, you can quickly look forward to 50 Rings, for 150 Dex bonus and 900 extra speed. Then you slow down as you get your Diplomat to clone himself.

EDIT: only 5 copies stack, for +90 speed. Sadness.

EDIT: You just need Retinue 4 anyway, as your Diplomat with Essence 2, Awakened Dream Manufacture and Forging the Cup Grace can create homunculi at will (one per scene), and give them Cup Graces so they'll attune to your Oneiromancies for you. A homunculus has Essence 3.

It takes a Village

Be a Diplomat with Birth 4 and Essence 3 (12 bp). Forget the sword and ring silliness above (or go for Ring).

Get arbitrarily high gossamer. Six million or so should do.

Use Shape Forged Servant to create a living chair, with God Monster Transformation a million times.

Sit down, and say "Go!".

EDIT: Huh. Make the chair Really, Really, Really big. And fast. And whatever else you can stack on. Probably not impossibly fast anymore, though.

EDIT 2: Goldberg's Got Nothing on me

Beg, moan, wail and prostate yourself to get 2 extra bp, in order to buy Essence 4.

Be an Artisan, with Compassion 2 and Temperance 4 (easy)

Charms: All Consuming God Monster Stance and Overriding Construct of Fate, plus permanent Assumption of the Person's Heart.

Get a rope, a wolfman (core, p.282 to 283), and a bone.

Bond with the wolfman.

Tie the rope to the wolfman and to the bone.

Instruct the wolfman to Bite the bone. Augment the Bite with Overriding Construct of Fate.

The bone is now 1 mile away, as are you - the trip does no damage.

Your speed is therefore 1760 yards per two ticks.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2011-05-05 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Errata impacts, typos. Another option.

18. - Top - End - #588

Doesn't one of the splats have a Charm that effectively says, "No matter how fast the quarry's moving, if I'm chasing it, I go one yard per tick faster?" I think it's either Fair Folk or Lunars. Probably Lunars. Anyway, there ya go. No matter how fast you build your character, guy with that Charm can go exactly one faster.

Page 29, MoEP: Infernals. The Infernal anima is nauseating and clearly demonic in nature.

If you're helping people with demon magic, they'll like it, but they'll still think you're a demon - Just a nice one (or one who hasn't asked for their price yet).
    Heh, yeah, 'kay. Point taken on that one. Still, chances are that they're still not going to get viewed any more negatively than a Solar. After all, the general consensus on Solars is that they're demons; why would something that's actually demonic be viewed any differently?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 04:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

I think that's a Sidereal charm, actually.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. It's a Sidereal Martial Arts charm. Quicksilver Hand of Dreams Style, Inescapable Nightmare Pursuit.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-05 at 04:14 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

What happens if two people use it on each other? They both immediately hit 3x10^8 m/s?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

21. - Top - End - #591

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    What happens if two people use it on each other? They both immediately hit 3x10^8 m/s?
    Well, if my half-recollection of the Charm is correct, there has to be actual pursuit. Meaning one has to be running away from the other, with the other giving chase. Can't exactly have both using it, then, can they?

Even if they could, why would it cap out that 3x10^8 m/s? Remember, there's no guarantees that the physics of Creation are the same as those of our world (in fact, I'd swear against it), and even if they were, Charms by their nature break physics.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 04:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

You can't do that. Furious Hound Pursuit only activates if you are chasing someone. Flight of the Sparrow can be used if running away from someone, but it only doubles your movement, rather than match it to your pursuer's.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You can't do that. Furious Hound Pursuit only activates if you are chasing someone. Flight of the Sparrow can be used if running away from someone, but it only doubles your movement, rather than match it to your pursuer's.
    Oh hey there might actually be more than one charm that does this then.

Inescapable Nightmare Pursuit has a cooler name. *hmph*

INP also lets you teleport and move through barriers. I don't think the Lunar one can do that? But regardless.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-05 at 04:17 AM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think so, but it will match magical movement rates like teleporting, if the Lunar has Essence 4+.

As Alucard and TRD point out it's rather hard for this to happen, but if you somehow ended up with two people chasing one another (running in circles around a tree or something silly like that), there'd be a contested roll to see who won, as per page 179 of the core book. Probably a Dexterity + Athletics roll, in this case.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Okay then, what if three people chase each other?
    Like a love triangle, but worse.

And alright, if it doesn't cap at C, what happens?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

26. - Top - End - #596

Okay then, what if three people chase each other?
    Like a love triangle, but worse.

And alright, if it doesn't cap at C, what happens?
    The circle the run in gets smaller each tick intil all 3 meet in the middle.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

27. - Top - End - #597

So, thought I'd bring this up with you guys...

Demon Ink Tattoos... should I just ban them? For three background points, you're buying an artifact that costs 0 of your motes, and is giving you nine dice. Even worse, there's nothing indicating it doesn't break the normal caps for these sorts of things, meaning you can have some of your Attributes at 6 and Abilities at 6 and 7 as a starting character.

Or am I just worrying too much?
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Math errors.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Ban or tweak them, probably. If you give them an attunement cost (I'd recommend artifact rating x2) and make their bonuses count as dice granted by Charms rather than natural Attribute/Ability dots, they're less appealing but still decent.

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    there's no guarantees that the physics of Creation are the same as those of our world (in fact, I'd swear against it), and even if they were, Charms by their nature break physics.
    Well, Creation doesn't really have physics. At the absolute base root of things, it's laws are defined by the seven shinma, which is why cause and effect, identity, and other base things exist. Then you have the Loom, which further defines things.

Also, had a burst of inspiration, and I found myself doing a TMA style emulating the Mice of the Sun. Be up later today. Would appreciate commentary.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

I'd think a martial art emulating gods - even such insignificant ones as the Mice of the Sun - would be a CMA.