New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion IV: Roll Join Debate

Hmm, now that I look at the errata'd version of One Weapon 2 Blows, it also seems way too good, especially as the first charm in the tree.

Also, our group has been using the Armorium for weapons, as the crazy damage you get from a Grand Goremaul and the like is just ridiculous. Good idea? Bad?

One further note: Without Grand Killsticks like the goremaul, is melee still "Perfect or die"? Say if one was using the Armorium Grand Daiklave*? Or a more speed oriented weapon like the Reaper Daiklave**?

* (Speed 6 Accuracy 1 Damage 12L/4 Defense 3 Rate 2 Minimums 3 Cost 3 Attune 8 Tags 2, O, R)
    **(Speed 4 Accuracy 3 Damage 5L Defense 0 Rate 3 Minimums 2 Cost 2 Attune 5 Tags None)

EDIT: Grr, after all my work formatting that it doesn't recognize spaces! Silly me. Currently making readable.
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-05 at 08:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    One further note: Without Grand Killsticks like the goremaul, is melee still "Perfect or die"?
    Quite so, sadly.

Say if one was using the Armorium Grand Daiklave? Or a more speed oriented weapon like the Reaper Daiklave?
    User's strategy is going to be different, but overall, it's not going to help; looking at the Grand Daiklave, it's still pretty much perfect-or-die. The strategy for Reaper Daiklave, on the other hand, will be to ping the opponent to death.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 08:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Yeah, Melee is still perfect or die. Slightly lower base threshold, but still there.
    BEEP.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Nah, that's a Malfeas thing too. From my charm thread:

Stoic-but-Sensitive Bookish-Type-Infatuating Stance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stoic-but-Sensitive Bookish-Type-Infatuating Stance
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Combo-OK
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: By Pain Reforged, Insignificant Embers Intuition, Beauty Without Malice

On the outside, Malfeas is a mass of calloused layers, eternally bleeding bitterness and seething anger. On the inside, however, he is a beautiful dancer full of hope, shame, and dutiful responsibility.

Brainy chicks eat that stuff up.

This charm supplements any action to help another character who would have a higher dice pool than you on a roll to do Math (with a minimum of at least 5 dice), not counting external things like bonuses from items, stunts, and non-permanent charms. This action could be as simple as picking up something they've dropped, or as dynamic as charging in front of a raging Behemoth to use Defend Other on them.

After performing this action, they have the option to immediately gain a positive intimacy towards you with a connotation of their choice (or upgrade a currently existing intimacy with the following effects). This intimacy forges a magical bond between the two individuals. Firstly, any action to aid you automatically qualifies for a use of a Compassion Channel for them.

Secondly, any influence that would force or convince them to harm or betray you in some way becomes Obvious to their senses, and they may spend one Compassion channel to make doing such things an Unacceptable Order for the rest of the scene.

Finally, when the infatuated character successfully performs a 2 or 3-die stunt on an action to help you with something, framed in the context of using their infatuation to aid them, they may choose to regain one spent Compassion Channel in lieu of any normal stunt rewards.

Explicitly telling an effected character that you return their feelings instantly breaks the effects of this charm over them. Being stoic and unapproachable is what makes you so unspeakably hot.
    That is great. If we ever get another of those Exalted in High School games on the boards I've gotta ask if I can use this Charm.

5. - Top - End - #665

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Not going to help; looking at the Grand Daiklave, it's still pretty much perfect-or-die. The strategy for Reaper Daiklave, on the other hand, will be to ping the opponent to death.
    Well, with an Armorium Grand Daiklave instead of an original Grand Goremaul, you lose piercing, 4 damage, and gain 1 speed. I also find some of the rest a bit unlikely (Hearthstone Braces on a melee based Build? 5 Str would leave you with 1 stamina, which is turning the game into perfect or die, and I've never even heard of that Harmonizer), turning the 32L Piercing into 21-24L non piercing. Which is only going to be like 11 or so damage dice against decent soak.

Also, since all of the Armorium Grand Gore____ are acc -1 and def -3, you're unlikely to even hit against an opponent with a good parry, and your own defenses will be pathetic.
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-05 at 08:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    That is great. If we ever get another of those Exalted in High School games on the boards I've gotta ask if I can use this Charm.
    I would say you could try my game, but we're near capacity as it is.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #667

Hearthstone Braces on a melee based Build?
    What's wrong with that?

5 Str would leave you with 1 stamina...
    ...assuming you haven't bought one or more of your other Attributes up with bonus points, or utilized any of a dozen other ways to start with a high Strength...

...and I've never even heard of that Harmonizer
    Fivefold Harmonic Adapter's in Wonders of the Lost Age, a one-dot artifact that sticks onto another artifact, allowing you to attune to it normally regardless of whatever magical material it is.

Which is only going to be like 10 damage dice against half decent soak.
    If you're getting hit at all (let alone being dealt damage), you're already in hot water. Wound penalties can be devastating, and that's not counting other stuff like poisons on the weapon, various bad touch effects, et cetera.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 08:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, since all of the Armorium Grand Gore____ are acc -1 and def -3, you're unlikely to even hit against an opponent with a good parry, and your own defenses will be pathetic.
    Doesn't matter. You'll be activating your paranoia combo every action, and then once you mote tap your opponent out, you'll be using your perfect attack combo to insta-splatter them.

Grand goremauls are useful for paranoia combat, but not absolutely necessary.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

9. - Top - End - #669

What's wrong with that?
    Just seems kind of wasteful. I mean, you're not going to be utilizing the dodge part, which is kind of the bigger part.
    ...assuming you haven't bought one or more of your other Attributes up with bonus points, or utilized any of a dozen other ways to start with a high Strength...
    Well, yeah, true. 5 Str is probably very reasonable.
    Fivefold Harmonic Adapter's in Wonders of the Lost Age, a one-dot artifact that sticks onto another artifact, allowing you to attune to it normally regardless of whatever magical material it is.
    Ah, wow, that's really good.

If you're getting hit at all (let alone being dealt damage), you're already in hot water. Wound penalties can be devastating, and that's not counting other stuff like poisons on the weapon, various bad touch effects, et cetera.
    I don't really see this. A -1 or 2 penalty isn't going to make you lose the fight you were previously going to win, I don't even know of any bad touch effects outside of SMAs or a few CMAs.

All in all it's still just maybe 15 dice of damage, and 3 Health levels is far from perfect or die, especially when you use Ox-Bodies = to stamina.

In my experience, combat is Exalted has been dangerous, but nowhere near perfect or die. Only one of the players in my game actually has a perfect, and he doesn't even have it in a combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm
    Doesn't matter. You'll be activating your paranoia combo every action, and then once you mote tap your opponent out, you'll be using your perfect attack combo to insta-splatter them.

Grand goremauls are useful for paranoia combat, but not absolutely necessary.
    Does anyone actually play like this??

If my players tried to use a paranoia combo every turn, they would be Willpower tapped before the second fight. How do players generate enough WP to do this?
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-05 at 09:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

exalted paranoia combat assumes you can get your 2die stunt on the attack and defense, so 1wp+4m per "cycle".
    BEEP.

11. - Top - End - #671

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    exalted paranoia combat assumes you can get your 2die stunt on the attack and defense, so 1wp+4m per "cycle".

But, how? I mean, 2 die stunts are not that common in my games at least, happening maybe 1 every 2 rounds. Is that a lot less common than normal?

12. - Top - End - #672

But, how? I mean, 2 die stunts are not that common in my games at least, happening maybe 1 every 2 rounds. Is that a lot less common than normal?
    There are charms to increase stunt ratings
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

13. - Top - End - #673
    Banned

If you get into the description, 2d is not hard. 1d is just anything more than "I attack", sooo...

14. - Top - End - #674

I mean, you're not going to be utilizing the dodge part, which is kind of the bigger part.
    Sure you are! The Melee perfect has the gaping hole in that it doesn't work if you don't have a weapon in your hand, plus the fact that it's still vulnerable to sneak attacks in a way that SAM doesn't truly patch; you can always dodge, if you've got SSE and RST. Might as well go ahead and pump Dodge as well.

I don't really see this. A -1 or 2 penalty isn't going to make you lose the fight you were previously going to win, I don't even know of any bad touch effects outside of SMAs or a few CMAs.
    Your opponent has a bunch of mutations that makes him bigger and badder? Order-Affirming Blow leaves him wondering why he spent all those years in the Wyld. And that's off the top of my head.

and 3 Health levels is far from perfect or die
    Then it's ping death.

Does anyone actually play like this?
    I've been trying to avoid it, as well as that dreadful mindset, but then again, my ST's been running a game for our old 400-xp characters again...

If my players tried to use a paranoia combo every turn, they would be Willpower tapped before the second fight. How do players generate enough WP to do this?
    Stunting. Charms. Stunting and Charms.

Sorry.

A 1-die stunt is simply being descriptive. A 2-die stunt is descriptive in a way that uses the environment. You can generate a 2-die stunt every action.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 09:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It depends on the ST, but a reading of the rules implies that simply interacting with the environment will generate a 2 dice stunt.
    BEEP.

16. - Top - End - #676

Paranoia combat is extremely high optimization, rules as written Exalted. The main problem with this, and why you can't just dismiss it as theoretical optimization, it's quite possible to get to a situation where you need paranoia combat stuff to just survive. It is, in fact, the logical extrapolation of Exalted combat mechanics. And you can't just fix it with a single thing, as the entire system is incredibly shaky and balanced on a variety of different mechanics. The developers likened it to an elephant standing on a bunch of thin poles. Change one of them, and it'll fall off.

Also, by RAW, a 2-die stunt is just a description that includes the environment. Not that hard to get.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

17. - Top - End - #677

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    There are charms to increase stunt ratings
    I know there are charms to increase dice, but what charms increase ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    If you get into the description, 2d is not hard. 1d is just anything more than "I attack", sooo...
    I guess I'm just stingy then. Re-reading the stunting section, I can see that something as simple as "I Flip over the table and stab him between the shoulderblades" is 2 dice, but there's no way that that should be more than 1 dice IMO.

EDIT: Blarg, too many people posting. Updating now.
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-05 at 09:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #678

I know there are charms to increase dice, but what charms increase ratings?
    Lions Roar Recovery, Selfishness is Power, Tragic Love Amusement, Underworld Executioner Stance....

19. - Top - End - #679

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Paranoia combat is extremely high optimization, rules as written Exalted. The main problem with this, and why you can't just dismiss it as theoretical optimization, it's quite possible to get to a situation where you need paranoia combat stuff to just survive. It is, in fact, the logical extrapolation of Exalted combat mechanics. And you can't just fix it with a single thing, as the entire system is incredibly shaky and balanced on a variety of different mechanics. The developers likened it to an elephant standing on a bunch of thin poles. Change one of them, and it'll fall off.

Also, by RAW, a 2-die stunt is just a description that includes the environment. Not that hard to get.
    What negative consequences does using the Armorium, Ox-Bodies = to Stam, and harder stunting have? Not trying to be aggressive here, just curious.

Sure you are! The Melee perfect has the gaping hole in that it doesn't work if you don't have a weapon in your hand, plus the fact that it's still vulnerable to sneak attacks in a way that SAM doesn't truly patch; you can always dodge, if you've got SSE and RST. Might as well go ahead and pump Dodge as well.
    I can see that. Very expensive if you want to do non-combat stuff though.
    Your opponent has a bunch of mutations that makes him bigger and badder? Order-Affirming Blow leaves him wondering why he spent all those years in the Wyld. And that's off the top of my head.
    Oh, so by bad touch you mean debuffs, I see.

Then it's ping death.
    exceeding soak by 15 is ping death?
    I've been trying to avoid it, as well as that dreadful mindset, but then again, my ST's been running a game for our old 400-xp characters again...
    Has the game been working well so far?

Stunting. Charms. Stunting and Charms.
    I must find these charms!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Lions Roar Recovery, Selfishness is Power, Tragic Love Amusement, Underworld Executioner Stance....
    I can guess where the last one is from, but sources on the others?
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-05 at 09:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #680

exceeding soak by 15 is ping death?
    Bleargh, misread your post (somehow) as just dealing 3 damage.

Still, high-end Exalted combat still works out in a very small number of ways.

1) You hit the opponent with some status effect that he hasn't bought a defense against (for one reason or another) that utterly ruins him with little to no chance of resisting.
    2) You perfect until one of you runs out of motes, and then:
    a) You hit the opponent with an arbitrary amount of damage, spattering him to gibbets in one glorious attack.
    b) You hit the opponent with an arbitrary number of attacks that whittle his health down to nothing, spattering him to gibbets in a whirlwind of slightly-less-glorious attacks.

And assigning more health levels just makes these four-hour slugfests take longer.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Also keep in mind that, even if you heap on a bunch of unofficial patches to fix the combat system, you still have pretty terrible social, mass combat, and nation building systems where any things resembling interesting roleplaying mechanics are few and far between.

At best, you've fixed the Exalted system into being a kind of janky pseudo-tactical fantasy combat simulator that still takes hours of real time to resolve anything.

Which, is sorta okay if you have really low standards for tactical combat games. And still does nothing for you if you were hoping to interact with the Exalted world on any level not having to do with direct physical violence.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-05 at 09:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682

Bleargh, misread your post (somehow) as just dealing 3 damage.

Still, high-end Exalted combat still works out in a very small number of ways.

1) You hit the opponent with some status effect that he hasn't bought a defense against (for one reason or another) that utterly ruins him with little to no chance of resisting.
    2) You perfect until one of you runs out of motes, and then:
    a) You hit the opponent with an arbitrary amount of damage, spattering him to gibbets in one glorious attack.
    b) You hit the opponent with an arbitrary number of attacks that whittle his health down to nothing, spattering him to gibbets in a whirlwind of slightly-less-glorious attacks.

And assigning more health levels just makes these four-hour slugfests take longer.
    Nasty. Any advice on potential ways to alleviate these problems, even a little bit?

And how high is high level in your experience?

23. - Top - End - #683

Nasty. Any advice on potential ways to alleviate these problems, even a little bit?
    No clue.

And how high is high level in your experience?
    Depends on the optimization level of the players, and how hard the ST tries to challenge them.

If both are relatively low, you may well clear 100+ XP without seeing any sign of it. If both are high, it'll show up in the first session.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-05 at 09:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684

No clue.

Depends on the optimization level of the players, and how hard the ST tries to challenge them.

If both are relatively low, you may well clear 100+ XP without seeing any sign of it. If both are high, it'll show up in the first session.
    Heh, so far my players have been very unoptimized, but they're learning fast.
    One of my normally unoptimized players keeps stumbling upon crazy awesome stuff (Violet Bier of Sorrows, Nice combination of Archery w/ Magma Revolvers and Sail buffs) while the normally good optimizer has been flunking out (Generalist spread way too thin, Celestial Monkey practitioner learning Sorcery. That right, Celestial Monkey style and Sorcery.) I expect them to start pumping out pretty powerful stuff soon though, so I need to prepare.

25. - Top - End - #685

MoEP: Infernals, and the Scroll of Errata, DotFA Section

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

In a team up between Xanatos (Gargoyles), Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, HamilJoker and Ebon Dragon, who would be the first to screw over the others?

27. - Top - End - #687

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    In a team up between Xanatos (Gargoyles), Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, HamilJoker and Ebon Dragon, who would be the first to screw over the others?
    Ebby would do it first, but Xanatos would do it best.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Ebby would do it first, but Xanatos would do it best.
    I meant genuinely screw the others over. I'm sure most of them would be counting on the others betrayal to further their own plan.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Dr. Doom would have sculpted an intricate and masterful betrayal that would unravel itself only after he and his compatriots had finished whatever the objective was that had brought them together in the first place.

The Ebon Dragon would immediately forget their original intentions and stab Dr. Doom in the back of the head just for the hell of it. Which would set off the C4 the Joker had implanted in Dr. Doom's skull the night before while he was sleeping.

The survivors would wipe the remaining brain goo off of themselves and glance around, only to realize that Lex Luther had gotten bored and left eight minutes ago to chase after Superman, regardless of his relevance to their current schemes.

Xanatos would shrug and go back to his smoking hot wife to live a life of contentment and luxury, attaining ultimate victory by default.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget his Demigod son or Fae butler.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.