New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion IV: Roll Join Debate

It... depends.

A great many effects that specify they only target 'mortals' can't affect Enlightened Mortals. The Midnight anima power, for instance, can't kill you if you're an Enlightened Mortal.

The Midnight certainly can, and you're still called a mortal for convenience by virtue of not being a god-blood, exalt, spirit, etc. But you no longer have to fear, say, Broken Heart Triumph turning you into an extra.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    But an enlightened mortal is most definitely mortal.
    It's a mechanical minutia vs setting thing. Enlightened Mortals aren't considered mortals for the purposes of charms that use "mortal" as a mechanical term. In-setting, Enlightened Mortals are mortal.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hm. I checked, and you're right. Kind of odd, though.

Also, does anyone know where you can find information on the Kukla? The apocalyptic god-thing, not the dragon.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

Hm. I checked, and you're right. Kind of odd, though.

Also, does anyone know where you can find information on the Kukla? The apocalyptic god-thing, not the dragon.
    Aren't they the same thing? The Kukla is a dragon that, if it wakes up, will utterly unmake and then remake everything. Supposedly tamed by the Unconquered Sun, a buncha elemental guardians that have to be defeated before you can summon it.... they're the same thing.

Why this Greater Dragon of Earth is so apocalypticly powerful, I don't know. Pasaip, the Elemental Dragon, also has a reputation for causing natural disasters/apocalypses, so much so that Gaia apparently rendered him dormant.

Unless you're referring to the first Kukla, but I just assumed he was also an Elemental Dragon like the second current one. I think the first one was at least also an elemental of some form, if not a dragon.

5. - Top - End - #1295

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Knight View Post
    Aren't they the same thing? The Kukla is a dragon that, if it wakes up, will utterly unmake and then remake everything. Supposedly tamed by the Unconquered Sun, a buncha elemental guardians that have to be defeated before you can summon it.... they're the same thing.

Why this Greater Dragon of Earth is so apocalypticly powerful, I don't know. Pasaip, the Elemental Dragon, also has a reputation for causing natural disasters/apocalypses, so much so that Gaia apparently rendered him dormant.

Unless you're referring to the first Kukla, but I just assumed he was also an Elemental Dragon like the second current one. I think the first one was at least also an elemental of some form, if not a dragon.
    Nope. The second Kukla, the greater elemental dragon, is named after the first Kukla, a long dormant (I think) apocalyptic Incarnae-level god of some sort. I don't know much about him, hence why I'm looking for info.

Also, GED Kukla is Armageddon-level destructiveness because that's how GEDs are. They go kind of bug-screwing nuts when they reach Essence 10 and then also gain enormous amounts of power. Hence why they all are asleep and locked away like the second Kukla is.

And Pasaip is a 3rd circle soul of Gaia, so I don't know what's up with him.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, it's on page 218 of Core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Book, page 218 View Post
    Charm Concept: Mortals
    A mortal is someone who cannot spend motes of Essence to achieve effects. This includes normal people, animals, and Wyld mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter, character in game I'm GMing
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. The second Kukla, the greater elemental dragon, is named after the first Kukla, a long dormant (I think) apocalyptic Incarnae-level god of some sort. I don't know much about him, hence why I'm looking for info.

Also, GED Kukla is Armageddon-level destructiveness because that's how GEDs are. They go kind of bug-screwing nuts when they reach Essence 10 and then also gain enormous amounts of power. Hence why they all are asleep and locked away like the second Kukla is.

And Pasaip is a 3rd circle soul of Gaia, so I don't know what's up with him.
    The Roll of Glorious Divinity doesn't mention the first Kukla in its write-up; it does, however, mention that this Kukla is only a Greater Elemental Dragon of middling power.

So, yeah. I guess Pasaip and his four bros must be really hardcore, presuming that they represent the high end of Greater Elemental Dragons.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

The Roll of Glorious Divinity doesn't mention the first Kukla in its write-up; it does, however, mention that this Kukla is only a Greater Elemental Dragon of middling power.

So, yeah. I guess Pasaip and his four bros must be really hardcore, presuming that they represent the high end of Greater Elemental Dragons.
    Pasiap and his four bros aren't Greater Elemental Dragons. Because they aren't Elementals. Elementals are a type of Spirit that were created long after they already existed. They existed before Creation did. They are Devas, the souls of a Primordial.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Pasiap and his four bros aren't Greater Elemental Dragons. Because they aren't Elementals. Elementals are a type of Spirit that were created long after they already existed. They existed before Creation did. They are Devas, the souls of a Primordial.
    So far as I know, this is a recent development in the lore so far. And they are still referred to as The Elemental Dragons, because they're big dragons themed after the elements.

This was actually confirmed to be a joke. The use of "middling" was facetious - an absurdity, as they had just got done saying that the Kukla had world-annihilating power. Sarcasm and so on.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    So far as I know, this is a recent development in the lore so far. And they are still referred to as The Elemental Dragons, because they're big dragons themed after the elements.
    The bit about being Devas yes. However they were always referred to as Gaia's children. Also as far back as Second Edition Core they predated Elementals. The Antagonist Chapter of which says the Original Elementals, beings of immense maybe even Inacarnae level power, were designed in emulation of the Elemental Dragons. These Original Elementals were later destroyed in the Primordial War and their Essence scattered throughout creation coalescing into the Elementals we know today.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

This was actually confirmed to be a joke. The use of "middling" was facetious - an absurdity, as they had just got done saying that the Kukla had world-annihilating power. Sarcasm and so on.
    I find it amusing that the Exalted setting is so overpowered awesome that people took that seriously without a word of complaint.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I find it amusing that the Exalted setting is so overpowered awesome that people took that seriously without a word of complaint.
    Oh, I complained. A bit. And then I realized that it probably didn't matter, because a circle of Exalts can be just as scary. And now I realize that meschlum can probably make something even more terrifying as a starting Fair Folk.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Oh, I complained. A bit. And then I realized that it probably didn't matter, because a circle of Exalts can be just as scary. And now I realize that meschlum can probably make something even more terrifying as a starting Fair Folk.
    I would love to see what meschlum could do if we ever got rules for high-Essence Raksha.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

I would love to see what meschlum could do if we ever got rules for high-Essence Raksha.
    We have them. They're called Primordials.

inb4 correction: Okay, they're not the SAME, but they were both originally part of the wyld before time. Mostly a joke.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Banned

inb4 correction: Okay, they're not the SAME, but they were both originally part of the wyld before time. Mostly a joke.
    Correction: Before Time there was nothing, then that one Shinma of Separations separated something from nothing.

16. - Top - End - #1306

There was actually some discussion with some Word of Godding about this over on the White Wolf forums a little while ago. I'll try to dig it up.

Of course, then you have the ishvara, but that's a whole other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Correction: Before Time there was nothing, then that one Shinma of Separations separated something from nothing.
    No, that was the Primordials. Creation causes linear time and such, which is why the raksha want to rip it down.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

I am still a newbie. I do not know the fluff perfectly. xD

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

Time "started" when the Primordials were "born". Before that the Wyld was timeless. Now it runs forwards through time - but rather chaotically. Creation has a... mostly coherent timeflow.

Then there's the Faraway, which is where the Primordials were born. It's in the Wyld, but has more form than the rest of the Wyld. Not quite as orderly as Creation, though.

I've always wanted a game to visit the Faraway. I think it'd be pretty awesome. I wonder what sort of creatures would live there?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

I knew they were Devas, but assumed that the quality of being an Greater Elemental Dragon and being a Deva wasn't mutually exclusive.

Ah. Well, personally, I don't find it to be too good of a joke, mostly because like Lix said, in Exalted it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

___

Speaking of which, how "elementary" are the elements in Exalted? Are they the simplest pure substances to be found in Creation? Is everything made up of some combination of the five elements? Creation for the most part isn't very scientific, so it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't true or even relevant, but I am curious.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Technically, the Greater Elemental Dragons are not themed after the elements; the elements are themed after them. Well, as long as you're speaking of the souls of Gaia.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-05-17 at 11:22 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Banned

Raksha and Primordials? Also, just remembered it was Time Not.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of which, how "elementary" are the elements in Exalted? Are they the simplest pure substances to be found in Creation? Is everything made up of some combination of the five elements? Creation for the most part isn't very scientific, so it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't true or even relevant, but I am curious.
    Everything is made of Essence. The Elements are just there to help give order to what would otherwise devolve into chaos.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Everything is made of Essence. The Elements are just there to help give order to what would otherwise devolve into chaos.
    What about Oblivion?

24. - Top - End - #1314

Also, since we're discussing weird, metaphysical stuff*, I thought I'd ask...

Did Cytherea get Yozi'd, or was she one of the ones that became the Neverborn? Either way, can I get a page reference to it, so I might read more on the Divine Ignition?

*Then again, considering this is an Exalted discussion, when're we not discussing weird, metaphysical stuff? Except when we discuss that poor, deformed chick on the cover of Savant and Sorcerer, of course...

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Banned

I'd say Yozi- she doesnt seem like she would put up a fight and Infernal Essence Batteries are too awesome to say no too.
    Most splats get a +10 motes to Peripheral? Cytherea gives 100, every purchase.

26. - Top - End - #1316

I'd say Yozi- she doesnt seem like she would put up a fight and Infernal Essence Batteries are too awesome to say no to.
    I can appreciate speculation, provided there's absolutely no evidence either way, but it's not what I'm asking for.
    Same reply as above.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-17 at 11:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

In the theology of the Creation I run, it's quite the opposite - that Raksha and Primordials are opposing kinds of beings, Raksha representing energy and Primordials representing form, and both fundamentally incomplete.

Humans, in my setting, represent something new and with greater potential than either because they were made with elements of both (drawn as they were from the design of the first Jadeborn).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I can appreciate speculation, provided there's absolutely no evidence either way, but it's not what I'm asking for.
    Cytheria is a Yozi - she has at least one demon (noted in the statted-fiefdoms section) in Malfeas. Ref: Compass:Malfeas, p93.

But good luck finding her, as it's noted in the fiefdom's description that Cytheria has vanished from public sight, in Malfeas and Creation both. Cytheria herself appears to be ST playground.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think there's any canonical evidence either way. It's Up To The ST.

The only things I can remember the Divine Ignition actually doing were... waking up the rest of the Primordials (barring the Dragon Beyond the World), working with Gaia to create Creation, and programming Luna to seduce Gaia.

Edit: Or hey maybe there is evidence.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-17 at 11:20 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

I believe she's also mentioned in the Ink Monkeys blog, on infernal geomancy.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say Yozi- she doesnt seem like she would put up a fight and Infernal Essence Batteries are too awesome to say no too.
    There's a section somewhere that talks about the third circle soul of Cytherea running a layer of Malfeas. The entire 'country' is set up specifically to work something of Cytherea's to try to escape, and even her third circle soul doesn't know the entire plan.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.