New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion IV: Roll Join Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    I dislike it immensely. Plus, it seems completely unnecessary. Yeah, the big, bad elders can mess you up. Lucky you that there's only like 5 or 6 of them, and Creation is very, very large.
    Considering that you naturally get XP just for being old, shouldn't there be a lot of essence 6+ lunars and sidereals?

EDIT:
    A lot compared to 100 or 300, say 20 sids and 60 lunars.
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-05-17 at 10:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Considering that you naturally get XP just for being old, shouldn't there be a lot of essence 6+ lunars and sidereals?
    You absolutely do not get experience for just sitting around doing nothing. The experience tables in the back of the Storytelling chapter of the core book represent quick-and-dirty estimations for groups that want a time-skip in which the characters have continued to do consistently heroic and badass things for the duration, or for a game/character that starts at above the normal starting character threshold.

If you sit around and do nothing for a few centuries, you don't get jack.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Titan in the Playground

Which leads to the next part, doing heroic things? It's dangerous. I'd say most exalted in the current era don't reach essence 5, much less live the centuries needed to reach essence 6 or more. Especially in the current era, because unlike many before it there are many, many more foes around who are about equal or even more powerful than others. Yeah, a lot of PC's do, but they're the special ones with the drive, cunning, and luck to do so.

I will say, I agree with nerfing the deathlords, but that's because they're overpowered, considering their goals and role in the setting.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2011-05-17 at 10:58 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #1414

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I don't believe wiser words have been spoken since The Demented One first laid down the secrets of Chicanery-No to us mere mortals.
    On the other hand, if I've learned anything from meschlum, it seems all Fair-Folk charms have the keyword Chicanery-Hell Yes.

And we are all better off for it.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_humble_lich View Post
    On the other hand, if I've learned anything from meschlum, it seems all Fair-Folk charms have the keyword Chicanery-Hell Yes.

And we are all better off for it.
    No as The Demented One himself explained on the matter of Fair Folk, Chicanery is intentionally mean-spirited and bad for the game the keyword you want is Shenanigans-Yes. Or it might have been Shenanigans-Ok. I'll have to go look up Luna's guide to surviving Creation.

Edit: It's Shenanigans-Ok
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-17 at 11:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1416

WolfInSheepsClothing

No as The Demented One himself explained on the matter of Fair Folk, Chicanery is intentionally mean-spirited and bad for the game the keyword you want is Shenanigans-Yes. Or it might have been Shenanigans-Ok. I'll have to go look up Luna's guide to surviving Creation.

Edit: It's Shenanigans-Ok
    Ah, I didn't realize there already existed the Shenanigans-OK keyword. Thank you, that is much more fitting.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    --Will S.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

I've noticed some things in the past 50 minutes.
    *There isn't a lot of the color pink used in Exalted.
    *Holy crap there are weird Nordic mandalas on my Dr.Pepper can D=

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've noticed some things in the past 50 minutes.
    *There isn't a lot of the color pink used in Exalted.
    *Holy crap there are weird Nordic mandalas on my Dr.Pepper can D=
    I don't know about that second one but the first may change after we get the following Charm The Demented One recently spoiled the name of.

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One
    My Little Akuma

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know about that second one but...
    I took this picture with my terrible webcam:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, with the current blog problems, I don't expect to see any new stuff from the Ink Monkeys before 2013 =P
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-18 at 12:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

I took this picture with my terrible webcam:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, with the current blog problems, I don't expect to see any new stuff from the Ink Monkeys before 2013 =P
    Whoa, those are weird and vaguely Nordic. Having not had Dr. Pepper in a while I wonder if that's a general change to the design of the cans or something special.

As for Ink Monkeys. Apparently we should be getting some Monkey business through White Wolf's News Feed until the new blog is up. Though due to the fact that they can't upload directly this will be slower then normal Ink Monkeys articles; though they will have a tendency towards larger articles because of it. Hopefully we'll see something from this promise soon.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pretty sure Dr. Pepper has been doing some kind of Thor promotional thing. Had a bottle the other day where Thor was on it, all lifting his hammer up.

Also, that picture of the Doctor Who Incarnae is amazing. Is there a bigger version around anywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter, character in game I'm GMing
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Dwarf in the Playground

On an entirely other exalted topic, I always have trouble choosing a good celestial style for a sidereal who does martial arts, preferrably the close quarters punchy kind, although something with swordery is good too. Sure, I am aware of Crane Style and Crystal Chameleon (aka Disco Ninja), but the former is just not really my thing, and the latter I've already done and so wanna try something else.

Currently I'm looking at Air Dragon or Water Dragon styles, as I think they're nifty, but was wondering if any of y'all had other suggestions.

Oh, and instead of the Sidereals charmset from their manual, assume me to be using this rewrite instead.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSinged View Post
    Pretty sure Dr. Pepper has been doing some kind of Thor promotional thing. Had a bottle the other day where Thor was on it, all lifting his hammer up.
    Yeah, actually, I feel kind of silly. Shortly after taking that picture, I noticed the giant freaking Thor covering a third of the can. I just...hadn't seen it. Hehe, whoops.

Also, I've noticed that the posting rate of this thread seems to drop somewhat after 1am or so.

Quick, someone give me an Ability and a number between one and ten (inclusive).
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-18 at 01:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have an idea for a newb game (I only have one player lined up, and I'm a newb myself, but ideas manage to kick around anyway, even if this game never happens). The characters will start off mortal, will be thrust into epic circumstance, and Exalt; this gives them a chance to learn the setting and mechanics slowly, and not have to know everything to begin with. Their characters will be prebuilt templates that they can plug description/background/motivation into, and there'll be enough that they can all get Exaltations with abilities that match how their characters have actually been approaching problems.

Except for one of them. Whichever is the last to manage a heroic deed, or fails at heroism sufficiently badly, or ends up in a "you should be dead after that attack" senario, will get an Infernal or Abyssal exaltation, depending on how they managed to earn that. The players, being newbs, will hopefully not actually know what those are, except for the one with the non-Solar exaltation; the Infernal/Abyssal player will then get to have their own goals, secret to the rest of the party, and probably will be put in a position where they need to maintain the secret from the other characters, while we keep it a secret from the other players.

I like the idea of the mole with their own agenda, and I like the players being in the dark to keep the reactions and intrigue real, but I'm not sure how well it would play out in an actual game. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground

Quick, someone give me an Ability and a number between one and ten (inclusive).
    Bureaucracy 4 gogogo

Make me some bureaucratic Infernal Charms! that don't actually require Bureaucracy
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2011-05-18 at 01:14 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Bureaucracy 4 gogogo

Make me some bureaucratic Infernal Charms! that don't actually require Bureaucracy
    Welcome to Wolf, Ram, and Hart. We have branches all over the world, but we are all one big happy family under the dutiful guidance of the Senior Partners.

Demons of Industry Stratagem
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Essence 4; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Sorcerous
    Duration: Indefinite
    Prerequisite Charms: Inauspicious Benediction of Endeavor

This charm is the machination of a Malefactor adding to the Endless Desert's charm cascade in preparation for the Reclamation. It must be activated during a lengthy night-time ritual involving willing (though typically ignorant) prayers given by the mortal (or heroic mortal) Leader of an organization that is serving as an anchor for a previous use of the Warlock's "Inauspicious Benediction of Endeavor" charm, and the organization must be bound by a "Hardship" as defined in that charm's text.

At the completion of the ritual, the Leader's soul is hollowed from his body and swept away into a chasm to the Endless Desert. In its place, a dematerialized First Circle Demon of Cecelyne slips through the fissure and inhabits the body instead.

Until this charm is ended, the demon is perfectly disguised in all ways as the sacrificed mortal. Its Fate appears as the mortal's, and it does not even register as a Creature of Darkness when examined with charm technology capable of discerning such. However, its statistics are always determined as the better of the mortal's and demon's, and it has full access to its natural spirit charms. Should the mortal/demon gestalt die, the demon is banished back to the Demon Realm with 0 motes, and one -4 health level, filling the remainder with Aggravated Damage. It may not regain motes until all of its health levels have returned.

Applying Countermagic to the disguised demon banishes it back to the Demon Realm, though no worse for wear, although its mortal-shell-host dies, and the anchoring point for Inauspicious Benediction of Endeavor passes to the next most qualified member of the organization.

Working under a demon, all mortal and heroic mortals in the Organization slowly begin to corrupt themselves. Every week hence is considered a scene developing an intimacy of devotion towards the Yozi, and upon the completion of such an intimacy, they become Creatures of Darkness and Natives of Malfeas. An organization completely composed of such corrupted mortals adds an additional success to the bonus granted by Inauspicious Benediction of Endeavor.

At Essence 6+, on the night of the New Moon, this charm may invest a mortal with a Second Circle Demon of Cecelyne, rather than a First Circle Demon.

At Essence 8+, during Calibration, this charm may invest a mortal with a Third Circle Demon of Cecelyne, rather than a First or Second Circle Demon.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-05-18 at 01:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, that picture of the Doctor Who Incarnae is amazing. Is there a bigger version around anywhere?
    There is not a bigger version as far as I know. You could ask Gryffon Durime about such though. They would probably be more knowledgeable than me on the subject being the creator and whatnot.

18. - Top - End - #1428

The Six Pants of Doom

The Wyld is a... strange place. Especially as one goes deeper within, and reality becomes subjective before veering into optional. Deep in primal chaos, the Unshaped and Shinma battle endlessly against things that are too alien to even be nameable - and sometimes those things retaliate. In the aftermath of one such clash, when three walls stood and the fourth was destroyed, an extremely bewildered Diplomat found itself in the shallow end of Creation.

Since being a snack was third on its list of priorities (behind 'praise Desus' and 'play the accordion'), it ventured into that desolate and empty land, experiencing all the horrors and discomforts of form. It did discover one compensation, however, when it entered a shady inn and assessed the menu. Before eating the barmaid's soul, it tried the local rotgut, and discovered a hallucinatory realm beyond that of the Wyld.

Concluding that it had been thoroughly defeated in Shaping combat, the Diplomat set forth to serve its new cause, remaking itself and its Graces into perfect servants and invincible weapons - the Six Pants of Doom!.

The Puce Pants of Pulchritude

It takes a single shot of whiskey, or two mugs of ale, to see Creation as the Puce Pants do. Accordingly, those who follow its precepts - removing their pants and drinking enough - are granted the benefits of its vision, and grow incredibly attractive and skilled at convincing others to behave similarly.

1-dot Adjuration: "I shall wear no pants, surrendering them instead to the FiveSix Pants of Doom, and drink so long as I can see straight."
    Glorious Hero Form, enhancing Appearance and Charisma

The Polka-dotted Pants of Blargh

Mock the Pants at your peril, for while they may seem harmless as they wander about, the Polka-dotted ones remember how their creator felt after a full week of drinking. When these pants find someone untrustworthy or abusing exclamation points, they pounce, attaching themselves to their victim's head and purge themselves. The shellshocked remnants then wander on, driven by their pants, seeking others to bring into the power of Blargh.

1-dot Behemoth
    Shuffling the Pieces - anyone killed by the Pants becomes a pair of animated pants, with statistics per manikins, poppets, or homunculi.
    Racing Dragon Speed - you shall not outrun the Pants
    Surpassing Excellence - the Pants are very good at chomping people.

Damage from the Pants is as a Fine weapon, with +2 dice to attack and defense from Surpassing Excellence.

The Purple Porcelain Pants

Those whom the Pants favor, they bless beyond all measure. Thus, where the Purple Pants may be found, they are welcomed and worshiped devoutly. Anyone who pray to the Porcelain Pants will feel extremely relieved, and find it quite comfortable to rest their head upon them.

1-dot Wyld Treasure.
    Per Thousand Comforts Lounge, these Pants are always just the right size and position to facilitate a pleasant rapport with the porcelain gods.

The Plain Pants of Partying

Creation applies its constraints upon all that lies within its grasp. Even the Pants, though they are unwilling to admit it (or anything else, being pants and thus not overly endowed with communicative skills). Thus, the possibility of rum (and other beverages) running out exists. The Plain Pants are there to stand against this threat, wandering off and returning with ever renewed barrels of booze.

1-dot Outward Facing Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion (drunkenness) - though Plain, they reek of alcohol, as their lack of color comes from being one huge stain.
    Ordinary Object Conjuration - any time the Pants are allowed to vanish from line of sight, they come back with more to drink.
    Shiftless Untamed Beauty: the Plain Pants have access to a truly remarkable stash of drinks, and there's always room for another. Especially since the Porcelain Pants cannot be far off.
    Behemoth Forging Meditation - people drinking with the Pants become capable of downing ever increasing amounts, as they accumulate Large mutations and eventually attain Awakened Essence through alcohol. Those who are loved by the Puce Pants find that all the weight they gain is distributed in interesting places. Others find it less so.

The Plaid Pants of Possibility

Some pants one should never wear upon one's head - those have Polka dots. Still, wonderful places may be found in pants, especially other people's. For those soused enough to explore the hidden secrets of the Plaid Pants, entire new worlds exist to be discovered. Often involving such arcane activities as bathing, remembering birthdays, and other, stranger experiences. Getting into these Pants can be a truly life changing event, and it's easy to get lost inside.

1-dot Chancel
    What more need be said?

The Pink Pants of Power

While the other Pants are potent indeed, it is the Pink Pants that drive the heart and essence of the Six Pants of Doom. A seemingly innocuous, albeit animated, pair of pants, this entity plots endlessly to expose itself to Creation and remake it in its image. To this end it initiates mortals to the wonders of the Puce Pants, then converts their very desires into more of itself and its brethren. In time, the party will cover all of Creation, and something stranger than the Wyld will emerge...

Heroic Diplomat with Essence 3 and all the Forging the Grace charms (including Way), Birth 5, and some way of getting gossamer. Eight Corner Ring Binding, Worker's Gift and a Motivation of "Throw a party that covers Creation", whatever.

EDIT: To get the Pants to move (besides the Polka-dotted and Pink which are inherently mobile), just use a few (dozen, hundred) mannikins spawned by the Pink Pants inside the Plaid and have them move. Plus, mannikins can help by removing the sense of taste from people, ensuring that they drink whatever is put before them.

On a completely unrelated note, RNN (Raksha Newt Network) must gleefully announce that one Meschlum, one-time god of Creation-born Fair Folk, is predicted to succumb to a strange malady known as 'intermittent web access'. Said entity's excursion away from the Loom of the 'Net should not last much more than three weeks or so.

Rumors of plans to return with something called a 'Raksha game' are currently unsubstantiated.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2011-05-18 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Typos. Bonus details. Changed Patched to Plaid

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Dwarf in the Playground

...wow. I feel curious, how would the 7 chaos emeralds from the sonic games look as grace magic/artifacts?

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Dwarf in the Playground

Who are Luna and Mars in the Doctor Who Incarnae? Mars reminds me of the Doctor's Daughter, but her part was small enough that it seems unlikely to me; Luna I can't place at all.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

meschlum that is awesome. It will be quite the shame to miss out on you for three weeks, but if it means you run a Raksha game it will be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feriority View Post
    Who are Luna and Mars in the Doctor Who Incarnae? Mars reminds me of the Doctor's Daughter, but her part was small enough that it seems unlikely to me; Luna I can't place at all.
    Mars was in fact the Doctor's daughter Jenny, Gryffon chose her because militant companions of the Doctor are in somewhat short supply. Luna is Donna Noble.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-18 at 03:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I ever got to see this incarnae pic D=

Last time I tried to suggest a title before the last page, I got shot down.

That said, I think we should go with "General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants".
    Me and Felaffel we will have our revenge, him and me, will take your armoured pants~

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    GED V: This Title was Seen in Samsara
    Lol. xD

GED V: Everything Comes in Fives (Except Robots)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I don't think I ever got to see this incarnae pic D=
    Behold, the at least 20% cooler Incarnae.

By Gryffon Durime
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-18 at 03:55 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Jack as Serenity.
    This just made me laugh so. Much.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack as Serenity.
    This just made me laugh so. Much.
    It's my personal fanon now. The others, maybe, but Jack as Venus, oh so very much yes.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-18 at 04:19 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda feel Rose should be endings, but it's an awesome pic so I really don't mind. xD

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

I kinda feel Rose should be endings, but it's an awesome pic so I really don't mind. xD
    No way. The Maiden of Endings wouldn't have been all blubbery about getting sealed in the Parallel Dimension. Martha on the other hand makes perfect sense as she made the decision to end her relationship with the Doctor herself.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-18 at 04:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure she would be, if it wasn't the time when things were meant to end.

And I'm pretty sure crossing over with a parallel dimension counts as enough essence to disrupt fate.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure she would be, if it wasn't the time when things were meant to end.

And I'm pretty sure crossing over with a parallel dimension counts as enough essence to disrupt fate.
    When after escaping from the Parallel Dimension you are almost immediately sealed in again I think it's time to take a hint don't you?
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-05-18 at 04:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Firbolg in the Playground

1) I doubt my group will ever to a permanent essence of 6...
    Why not? Do you count GttMH, for those purposes?

2) If they do, they'll have to suck it up and play solars.
    Wait, they're not playing Solaroids already?

3) I use avoidance kata and we play essence 7 sidereals.
    Methinks that might end badly. For one thing, no native Shaping defense in their Charmset, and it's not like they can make new ones. Also, considering how hard Sidereals need to get hit with errata...

On a related note: Do lunars have a max essence of 8?
    Nope, it's 10 like everyone else.

If not, how come the oldest lunars only have essence 8?
    Because raising your Essence isn't just a matter of meditating for eight months straight; there's also lots of deep introspection that must be done, and a lot of these elders are too twisted to really face what's inside.

At least, that's the gist that I'm getting from it. That, and not everyone automatically pounces for that dot of Essence.

Other related note: Does it describe how long each exalt type lives? The only reference I could find was to Sidereals, who are the oldest at 3000.
    They talk about it a bit in the first chapter of the Core book, IIRC.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't work that way, but I'd say you could get fairly close to your estimates without changing some base assumptions about the game... hopefully the truth of this statement will change in the face of Lunar/Sidereal errata.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-05-18 at 05:24 AM.