Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Resistance(IC)

Danid nods. "Sounds like a plan." He first turns his attention to his wolf and uses some magic to patch her up and then joins the search for valuables in this wicked dungeon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Lesser vigor on the wolf for 12 hp.
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-06-14 at 02:28 AM.
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TekHed View Post
    The gnome walked over to the formerly un-dead, but now truly Dead Mage and kicked at him. "I suppose we ought to loot the room as well...too bad he never told us what was up with this nasty-ass corpse. We ought to burn both bodies, just in case he has some kind of phylactery set up."
    Drenarius' body fell apart when Soren finished him. I mean, he can kick the puddle, but...

You all thoroughly search the room, finding several undamaged books about arcane magic among various writings on everything from alchemy to the proper construction of fortifications. Serris is intent on taking as much of the library with her as possible, worried that without the former inhabitants to guard the place it would be found and the books taken by someone else. The lower parts of the alchemical supply shelf still contain a few usable raw materials, all of them light enough to carry without problem. A small pressure plate allows the opening of a secret compartment which contains a few very old-looking scrolls. The noise they make when handled is enough to convince Serris that trying to read them now would probably result in them just falling apart. Underneath the scrolls is a small leather bag with a book and some old coins (they're pre-war, but not ancient, maybe 60 years old). The book is locked and after a few more minutes you find a key on a shelf beneath a scorched book.

Any further inspection of the corpse proves fruitless - there are no valuables or anything similar on it.

In total you find 24 gold coins, 9 important books (there are a lot more interesting ones, but these are the ones you'll be bringing now, the locked book, a key, four old scrolls and of course the two odd gems from the elemental creatures.

The way back to the surface is fairly uneventful. You hear the clash of swords in the far distance but it dies down before you can figure out which direction it's coming from. Once at the surface you discreetly re-enter the resistance base. Serris visibly relaxes once the door closes.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Also not a girl.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid searches along frantically. He is not specifically interested in stuff with monetary value. When Serris finds and starts ogling the arcane scripts, he frowns a bit and starts talking to her in a fatherly way. "Be careful with that, Serris. Many an evil has been produced through similar scripts. Be strong."

Once we get back to base, Danid asks Soren to visit him so he can perform his healing skills on him before we sleep. He also asks the whole team to get together later on to have a chat. "So, what is the next step....what are we doing?" Is the main subject he wants to discuss.

Spoiler
    Show

Heal skill on Soren: (1d20+9)[28]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Once they were safely back at HQ, and Danid had finished bandaging Soren's bruised ribcage, the vertically-endowed gnome went to find Serris.

"So...not too shabby in a fight eh?" He chuckled but it turned into a pained cough almost immediately. "Yanno, it took years of training to acquire my skills, which as you might imagine, left little time for fraternization, even if such activity was condoned, which it wasn't...

He smiled, a bit shyly, at her, giving away in spite of his brash demeanor how young and inexperienced he actually was at talking to the complimentary sex.

"I was wondering if, once things have settled down a bit around here, you and I might put on our disguises and head out for a nice night on the town? I know this great bistro down on the promenade where they make a gourmet Shepherd's Pie that's out of this world..."

Soren watched her carefully, gauging her reaction to his invitation.

He also asks the whole team to get together later on to have a chat. "So, what is the next step....what are we doing?" Is the main subject he wants to discuss.
    *cough*

Soren winced and grabbed his side, then leaned against a musty bookshelf.

"Well...I'll probably need a full day of rest before I'll be back to full strength, unless Mystic has another healing brew stashed somewhere under all these stacks. We could probably use that time to fence these gems, identify the magic we found the first time, see what's in those books and scrolls, and go shopping for our next foray. I'd say the last is especially important. If we can purchase a healing wand we'll be able to extend our search radius considerably, since as of right now every battle takes a lot out of us."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-06-20 at 06:17 PM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"
    Spoiler: A DM's Role
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275

Serris makes a show of considering Soren's offer, before smiling back at the gnome. Unlike him, she seems without a trace of insecurity. "That sounds like a fine idea," she says.

At Soren's mention of selling the gems, Serris perks up. "There are several merchants who we have contact to. They have quite strict 'don't ask, just buy and sell' policies and have proven trustworthy in the past. They can provide the wand, too, probably."

Also not a girl.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Soren grinned. *She said yes!* he thought.

After the mention of their fences he nodded, getting serious once more.

"Good...how soon can we meet with them?"
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277

"Well, I could probably bring the gems to one of their people today or tomorrow, if-" Serris cuts herself off mid-sentence, seemingly having caught herself halfway into saying something she didn't want to.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless you'd like to play out the time at the base-place, we can gloss over the shopping/recovery/preparation stuff.

Also not a girl.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"If....what?" Soren asked, suddenly curious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure we can skip it with a narrative post from you...but you can't dangle a string in front of a cat like that and not expect it to paw...
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

"Ah, well...In the next few days I'm going to have another training session with Syles, but I don't know precisely when it is. If it comes up I won't be able to take the gems to the merchants' men," Serris explains.

Also not a girl.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right...well then, let's take care of that now." Soren moved to get up, wincing a little.

"Besides, I'd rather get that wand sooner than later and take care of these outstanding injuries."

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, so we need to valuate the gems, identify ALL our items (on Soren's sheet), and pick up a wand of lesser vigor at least for Danid. After all that is done let us know how much coin we have left over for other purchases. Would be nice to know if the books/scrolls have anything useful beyond story/plot purposes.
    Show
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid, still a bit disorientated, smiles and follows the conversation. "Yes...well, ehm, if there's anything you need me to do, please let me know." He stares at his feet and continues. "I lost some good friends today....it was hectic. I would like to have a strawl with my wolf and contemplate, if only in the garden...is that possible?" He then looks up at Soren: "We want to refresh that bandage in the morning. Also, try to go to bed early today. Give your ribs the time they need to heal. I will meditate in the morning to provide you with further healing."

"So...what is it we are doing tomorrow?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Memorizing Lesser Vigor instead of Aspect of the Wolf tomorrow to get Soren up to 100% health.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we can get that wand today I'll be better right away, which I much prefer." Soren replied.

Contemplating he added. "I know what it is to have lost comrades...our monastery was razed by the Erish...now the Silent Flame burns in secret."

He reached up and put a hand on Danid's shoulder. "Their deaths will not have been in vain brother."
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid looks Soren in the eyes. The vengeful spirit in him was quite alien to the peaceful nature of Danid, but after what had happened to his home, his family and today in the sewers, something sparks in the eyes of the old man. "They can not have been, hum?" The bushy eyebrows of Danid curl as he comes to a realization. "They should not!" He grasps his necklace, adorned with holly and mistletoe. "Let us make it so." He silently nods at the brave gnome. Newfound druidic valor and vigor courses through Danid's veins, a sensation almost tangible by Soren. Danid puts his hand on Soren's shoulder and stands up to walk outside, to the open air. Followed by his wolf, he heads out to contemplate: "I need a moment," he turns around to Soren, "Thank you".

Spoiler
    Show
    ...And from now on Danid will be a bit more offensive in combat

14. - Top - End - #284

Serris nods. "I'm going to get started on these things you found now, since it'll take a few hours for me to get deep enough into the Spirit World. Take this," she takes a small figurine, depicting a dancing humanoid (it could be a human, gnome, halfing, elf, etc., it isn't detailed enough to tell). It's arms have been broken off and a deep crack runs through it - any worth it used to have is clearly gone no. "it's the token we use to identify ourselves with. Once Danid finishes his contemplation, head down the road here, Roda's Street, to..." Serris explains how to get to the meeting place, a small avenue in one of the more upper class parts of the city. One would head into the city center first, then head through the particularly war-damaged Potter's District to get to a small pathway that led through the private gardens of one of the city's high up civil rulers (an Erishian, of course) and then went into the avenue where they would meet the merchants' representatives.

"Show them the token and they'll be willing to show you their black market goods, which include things like weapons and wands. There's a kobold who has a small stand set up, for a few gold he can find out how much these gems are worth. He's always been accurate in my experience.

I'll look over these books and scrolls later, to see if they're anything useful to us. If not, there's someone I could probably sell them to. She collects almost anything with written words on it,"
    Seriss continues.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, Serris is pretty well-connected. She's put all that Cha to use over the years. It's also incredibly convenient for me to have her say 'oh yeah I know someone for that' than to have us all go through a page and two months of looking for a trustworthy merchant to sell to (which I think is something we'd all like to avoid, in cases like this at least; if you want to sell the Plot Sword of Doom it might be an interesting side quest, but for run-of-the-mill loot...).

Also not a girl.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

If Soren does not come to pick him up sooner, Danid returns after about twenty minutes. "Seriss is out on business? Is there anything I can do?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

"In a manner of speaking." Soren replied. "She'll be communing in the spirit world for awhile looking for the information we need...don't ask me I don't understand it either..." he shrugged.

"Let's go see about turning these gems into something useful. Will you and your wolf accompany me to market?"

With a flourish, Soren donned his illusory hat, appearing once more as a well-to-do, if nondescript human.
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

"The spirit world, huh," Danid mumbles. I need to talk to her about that at some point. He nods at Soren. "Sure, let's go and see if we can find a wand that closes wounds. Lead the way!"

18. - Top - End - #288

The two of you make your way through the city fairly easily. Some people give Danid's wolf a few glances, but apparently it's a common enough sight that she doesn't attract too much attention. There are a few moments in the gardens where it seems like someone may have spotted the two of you, but none of them lead to an actual confrontation. Whether through luck or quick thinking, you get through all of the close calls without being seen.

The avenue is between two closely-packed housing blocks. Laundry lines hang between the two 'walls' of the alleyway. Not too far ahead you can see a pair of shops, on opposite sides of the street. In one, a well-dressed kobold sits on a high stool and on the other two men stand. The two groups are discussing something about 'smoked Rikki wood' and haven't noticed you yet, it seems.

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rikki is a rare type of tree that grows in the northern regions of the Elven Kingdom and Gnomish States. It's quite rare due to the over-harvesting that almost wiped it out in the past. Rikki can be 'smoked' to give it a pleasant smell and greatly increase its strength.

Also not a girl.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid turns his attention to finding out in what manner they are discussing the Rikki wood*. He casually asks Soren "are we allmost there?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Just wondering whether they are admiring the beauty of it or, for example, are complaining about the high taxes/prices (if applicable) or low availability. In other words: Respectful towards the natural resource, or not.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, we are here." Soren countered, walking up to the kobold.

"Greetings,"
    the well-heeled human said. "My daughter recently broke her toy...I was told you would know where to find a replacement." Soren took out the small cracked figurine and placed it on the stand.
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're talking about how different types of coal change the smell. One seems to be convinced that a specific kind of coal makes it stronger, but the other disagrees.

The kobold does something you think would equate to raising an eyebrow on a more gnome-like creature, opening his mouth before seeing what Soren is holding.

"Ah, I see. Well, if you come here flashing that I'm sure you know my expertise," the kobold says, his lips pulling back to reveal his teeth*. "What is it you'd like evaluated?"

*You both understand this is a lizard-grin, not some kind of snarl or threat. You also notice that some of his teeth have what appear to be tattoos on them.

Also not a girl.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid smiles back at the kobold and nods at Soren. He has the stuff.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Soren checks his peripheral vision, alert to any clues others may be listening in.

"Well, given your reputation, isn't there somewhere more private you like to conduct business?" the gnome said through his disguise.
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294

The lizard's eyelids twist in his sockets for a moment before he answers. "If you're worried about being overheard or spied on, don't worry, it's in all of our best interests that we keep things, ah, as you say, hush hush. So we've taken quite a bit of time to make sure that this place is as safe as some hole in the ground a mile outside the city," he replies. If he wasn't a kobold, you might have been able to read his tone, but it just sounds weird to you.

Also not a girl.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fair enough."

Soren brought out his knapsack and opened it upon the stall's counter.

Spoiler
    Show

Loot:

Gold Shield Amulet with dents (obviously a shield amulet but need to know how much more damage it can take.)

Glass Bracers with Lightning Bolts

2 armor crystals

1 potion shield symbol (shield spell?)

1 potion hand covering 2 eyes symbol (could be invisibility, but not sure.)

1 potion 2 hands symbol (healing?)

plus whatever else loot we got from Deadnarius, and appraising the gems dropped by his minions.

Dang...really miss my DFA with at-will identify! Such a pain and expense to do it the normal way...

Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think there's a misunderstanding here. The way I saw things, you had left the following items with Serris for her to identify/look over:

-the amulet
    -the bracers
    -deadnarius loot (i.e. scrolls, etc.)
    -the potions

and that you weren't going to bother with the weapon crystals because you already know what they do.

If you really really want to pay for having them done I could make it possible, but it would require converting the kobold from a high-Appraise dude to someone who knows a spellcaster interested in using the rules for getting rich by using their class features.

To keep us from coming to a screeching halt, I've just gone ahead and written up a reply to Soren giving the kobold the Deadnarius Goon Gems.

The kobold's grin widens as the backpack is emptied. He takes each stone carefully, taking out a bizarre array of lenses, magnifying glasses and equipment you don't even know the name or function of. For close to ten minutes he examines the gems, muttering to himself in a language that neither of you speak. It contains many vowels, but each word has at least one harsh consonant sound in it.

The kobold has...an unusual expression on his face as he turns back to you. Your inexperience with such creatures means you don't know how to interpret the semi-random movements of his scaly forehead. After a moment of silence he speaks.

"Well, this is certainly interesting. You're lucky you came to me. A dishonest merchant would give you a hundred each - the gems themselves are nice but don't have what it takes to be a real high-value thing. An incompetent merchant would think they were just that. But someone with my eye," the kobold lifts one of the gems up to the light, "can see these tiny markings - here, follow my claw. These are meaningless to most people, but some mages can write them into their books and...oh, what is it called? When you do that thing, like making light or shooting fire or...oh, yes! Spellcasting! They can use these markings as blueprints for spells," you notice that there doesn't seem to be much more than a hint of pride in the kobold's voice. The two of you can barely see the thin lines he mentions - without him pointing them out, they just seemed to be due to the angle of the light.

"I can sell each of these to a mage for nearly six hundred, if he haggles well. If he doesn't, I'll get eight hundred. This means I'd pay you six hundred for both if you chose to sell them to me. I advise you do, because the best price you'll probably get without a special deal like mine would be...two hundred for each gem. The appraisal is two hundred, minus twenty-five percent because you brought two items. The business advice is free," the kobold shifts his scaly form on his stool. "So, honored customers, what are you going to do?" he asks, leaning forwards, the two gems on the counter.

Also not a girl.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Danid listens very intently to the kobold and pays special attention to his body language.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling a sense motive: (1d20+5)[7]
    and a spellcraft (1d20+7)[25] just to make the most out of his description: OoC-ly, what exactly are these gems, power stones, or?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, my mistake...well played!

"Done."
    Soren replied. "But before you go cashing our chips...we were hoping we could ah...exchange part of the value directly for some goods we require..."

Spoiler
    Show
    I know we want a wand of lesser vigor for Danid to use to heal us. What else could we use, that we could afford?

Obviously we can't afford to upgrade our weapons and armor yet, though even if we could afford it this is probably not the merchant to go to for such things...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-07-17 at 03:03 PM.
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #299

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Normally, I'd roll Sense Motive for you if he was lying, as well as his Bluff check.

As far as the gems go, well, judging by his description and what you know of arcane magic, the gems themselves hold no arcane power - it's the designs on them that can be used to channel arcane energy into spells. Sort of like how a design of a bucket can't hold water, but you need the design to make a working bucket.

"Well, unless you're interested in other gems or lenses of some sort, you'd be better just going over to those two," the kobold says, indicating the two humans across the road in their shop with his head. With this, he takes out an empty pouch and a box, then begins to count gold pieces in groups of ten, slapping each group onto the counter.

Also not a girl.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ahh...certainly." Soren replied as he watched the kobold count out out his coins. When he had finished, Soren thanked him, assuring they would be regular customers if all went well. He then mosied on over to the other stalls.

"Your fellow merchant directed us to you for the remainder of our marketeering today." he said cheerfully.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, how much did we get? 1150 gold? Or is my math-fu off. Soren is going to get a lesser vigor wand...any other requests?
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-07-19 at 02:13 AM.
    Show
    Show