New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Resistance(IC)

Flaven shrugs. I assumed that whatever is down there isn't one of those creatures from earlier. Seeing as they didn't seem capable of speech, but it was shouting about suffering...It seems like the Erish have made themselves an enemy down there, one strong enough that they can't deal with it easily. He says.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TekHed View Post
    "Great...a probationary druid..."
    Petal laughs nervously. I never thought about it this way, but yes, probationary does sum it up nicely. Thank you, kind gnome, for your help. She feeds the potion to Fang, and smiles as his wounds close. (1d8+1)[5]

She then considers Flaven's point. If the Erish made themselves an enemy ... any reason why should we help them?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, we did rush down here hearing screams for help," Soren mused. "Though I had assumed the cries were just from these Erish being slaughtered by some abomination. They certainly didn't seem to be faking their fear..."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's just go."

He walks... whichever way is out, his glaive over his shoulder.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

The short way to the ladder is free of obstacles. The ladder goes up and ends in an alley. The hole down(which you're coming up from) is well-hidden, and several crates block the view of the street. One side of the alley, the one you face as you come up from the ladder, appears to be quite run-down, with damage from the war still visible in the cracked walls and boarded up windows. The other side is more well-kept, although it's clear that whoever owns the building doesn't care about the view from the alley much, and trash has built up along that wall. The alley is fairly long, about 80 feet, with the closer 'end' being 30 feet away and the crates around 15. The long 'side' extends for 40 feet before being blocked by the burned remains of a smashed wagon, with assorted other debris mixed into the pile.

Not far from you, perhaps 10 feet, in the direction of the wagon-rubble and at the damaged wall, is a crouching figure, looking at you suspiciously with one hand hidden within the dark cloak that conceals almost all details of the figure's form. It's difficult to tell exactly how large the figure is, as it's crouching and wrapped in a large cloak, but it seems like one of the short folk(although it's not clear whether halfling or gnome). The figure's face is half-hidden by the fabric of the cloak, and with its free hand the figure is pulling the hood down as far as possible, leaving only one green eye and a patch of brown hair visible.

"Who are you?" The gnome/halfling asks as you all come into view, their voice muffled by the fabric of the cloak.

Rewards(from guard-fight):
    Spoiler
    Show
    150 XP for you all.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Soren crawled up out of the hole, grateful for his disguise.

In response to the squatters query he replied,

"Oh, you know...just a few innocent bystanders who fell down a hole. Decided not to stay though. Who are you?
    " asked, arching an eyebrow.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

The figure doesn't move much, although it seems like s/he is shifting their weight slightly.

I'll tell you who I am once I know I can trust you. Three humans and an orc...aren't exactly the most trust-winning group. The figure replies. For now, I'll give you an answer like you gave me: I'm an innocent bystander who is in this alleyway, and is about to leave. Surveying you all for a few moments, the figure eventually speaks again. Wait...you aren't from the Freedom Wolves, are you? I heard that they got taken down, but there've been all sorts of rumors about them having an underground base in the city. The posture of the figure changes slightly, showing a slight release of tension.

Actually...my father led the Freedom Wolves. I'm Flaven of the Wolfshadow group. Flaven says slowly, after a moment. Like you heard, most of our group was killed in an ambush. Can't say we've got an underground base, though. The archer says, glancing to the group as he speaks. I know for a fact that these people are no friends of the Elrish. He adds.

If this is true, then I have order to...well, first, I'd want to hear from the rest of you. It seems like he's telling the truth - I've been in contact with the Wolfshadows myself - but I still don't know who you are. I know that it may seem odd for me to ask this, as I'm still hiding my identity, but I'd like to know who you are. I have a way of telling if someone is faking their name, so don't try it. If none of you are lying, I'll bring you to Kr-eh, my superior. The cloaked figure says. Their posture has changed more, and rather than seeming ready for battle, it seems like only a fragment of their original suspicion remains.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Petal never heard of the Freedom Wolves, but she figures it sure does no harm for their reputation to have a wolf with them. Well, I'll be damned if Fang here isn't wolf who fights for freedom. In fact, he just helped dispose of a couple of Elrishians.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Kator scratches the back of his head.
    "I'm kinda new to this, I deserted the army when the firearms started appearing, and was looking for a resistance base..."
    My Steam profile

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Soren coughed uncomfortably and stood a little straighter.

"Well now...this...is awkward."
    He looked at his impromptu companions. "I'm afraid I haven't been entirely forthcoming with you. My name is not Damian Vanderschmidt as I had previously said. That man died over a year ago and I took his place, at least where paper trails are concerned. I prefer not to use my real name for fear it could compromise both my safety and my effectiveness in aiding the resistance." He shrugged at the cloaked figure.

"Surely you undestand...?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

So, we've got the son of an old army commander, an orc deserter, a lightly armored woman with a wolf companion and someone smart enough to take a fake name... The cloaked figure says, more to themself than you.

I'll bring you to the one in charge of our group. The figure says after a few moments of consideration, knocking on a door set into the ill-preserved wall. The door opens and another short figure-this one clearly a male gnome- stands in the doorway. The figure indicates you all with a move of her head, and nods. The gnome raises his eyebrows for a moment, shrugs and enters the building. The figure follows, waving to you to follow.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    a lightly armored woman with a wolf companion
    Well, now that we're following you, an introduction may be in order. I am Petal Lightstrider, druid-initiate of the Moonshine grove, the young woman says, as she and Fang follow the mysterious stranger past the gnome-guarded door.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Soren followed the others through the doorway but remained wary. He most certainly did not take off his hat. He didn't like how suddenly this new development had occurred and decided not to trust it just yet. All of his senses were on high alert...

Spoiler
    Show

Sense motive: [roll]1d20+6[/roll
    Spot: (1d20+5)[8]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Kator complies and follows.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-10-14 at 09:26 PM.
    My Steam profile

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Inside is a room that, although it's quite large, seems fairly small. All sorts of small items, old books, the occasional broken weapon have been somehow precariously stacked up on the walls, blocking whatever windows may be present. The ceiling is about 13 feet high, although you see what appears to be the last remnant of a floorboard still clinging to a wall only partially covered by junk, which leads you to conclude that there were once two floors here, rather than a single room.

Several lanterns and lamps light the room, as well as two glowing metal rods obviously taken from light posts by force(the non-glowing halves of the rods are twisted and one is broken at the end). Apart from the cloaked figure, who seats herself on an old once-luxurious chair on the edge of one of the junk piles, you are the only ones there. The male gnome is gone.

The back end of the room narrows down and is filled with more junk, enough to make it difficult to move across quickly, and several burning candles surround a small pile of cushions. You can smell some sort of incense coming from a few smoking boxes decorated with stars and moons, sitting next to the candles.

After sitting down, the figure pulls down her hood(you can tell her gender and race now: she's a female gnome) and gestures to several other chairs, mostly gnome-sized. There are two which appear to be two-gnome seats and would fit an orc or wide human well, but the only other truly comfortable seat is one halfway up one of the junk piles.

It could be a few minutes, he's probably busy with something he'll want to wrap up before coming out here. The gnome says, toying with a bent-up fork she picked from a broken crate which appears to be filled with unusable silverware.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Petal orders Fang to sit tight and cease his growling, while she herself looks around the room curiously. Where did they get so much junk?

So, she asks the female gnome, who is this commander we're waiting for?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

The commander? The gnome begins, raising one eyebrow. He's...well, I don't actually really know him well. I hear he's some sort of mystic, but apart from getting orders from him, nobody really interacts much with the guy. She shrugs. He may say it's to protect his identity, but I think he's just a shut-in who'd be happier living in a hut in the mountains.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Petal sighs. Wouldn't we all, and looks for a place to sit as she waits.
    Last edited by Vladislav; 2011-10-21 at 12:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Well...it certainly looked like a gnome's room. Albeit one with no cleaning staff, Soren thought to himself. While he had been reared in luxury his time in the monastery had taught him the virtues of austerity and order. Still, the presence of the other gnome was beginning to put him at ease.

After several long moments of grappling with the anxiety in his chest, Soren stood up and approached the hooded gnome woman. Reaching up, he doffed his hat, in the process shrinking down to his actual size as he swept the hat across his body with a chivalrous bow.

"Greetings cousin. It is good to be among kin once more..."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

The gnome looks up at Soren as he approaches with mild curiosity, although her expression changes quickly to amazement when the other gnome reveals his true nature.

Well, I...I guess I could be suspicious of you for hiding who you really are, but seeing as you just revealed yourself, I don't think it would really be right to- The gnome begins after a moment, having recovered from her shock. She is, however, interrupted by a cough(the intentional sort used to draw attention) from the other side of the room, where an elderly male gnome now sits, having entered the room with surprisingly little noise. The gnome is wearing what appear to have been the robes of some religious order, but now dozens of pockets and patches have been sown into the original fabric, making it difficult to tell what it once was. Most of the pockets are empty, but a handful contain sticks of incense.

I hear that you wish to join my group. The gnome begins, his gaze sweeping over all of you slowly. The gleam of a sharp mind, not dulled by age, is present in each brown eye. While I am wary of Elrishian spies and the fact that one of you is an orc does not do much to increase my trust of you...The fact is, no group can survive without taking on new members. Especially not a group who operates as we do. He pauses for a moment, a smile folding the skin of his cheeks, adding to the wrinkles places there by age. I will connect with the spirit world to find where your allegiances lie.

With this, the old gnome closes his eyes and folds his hands around a burning stick of incense, murmuring unintelligibly as the smoke around him thickens for a moment. When he opens his eyes they are glowing slightly, and he gazes intently forwards for a few seconds before closing them again. Once again he grasps the incense tightly and murmurs something, before breathing deeply and looking with his now-gleaming eyes. This time they stay open for close to half a minute, and when the gnome closes them he seems to be tired, as if having just performed a task of great difficulty.

You. The old gnome says, his eyes still closed, gesturing to Soren. Your spirit is filled with a loyalty to order. Within you is a code that has colored much of your life. Tell me: Why would you, devoted to a code of laws, choose to break the one that rules over the city? He asks, opening his eyes as he speaks. Now, you all see a mixture of curiosity and thoughtfulness in them. While it is clear that whatever he just did was tiring, the gnome shows little signs of the fatigue present only moments ago.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Soren scowled a bit inwardly at the old gnomes interruption. His opening gambit had gone so well and the pretty gnome's amazement had ripened her for well-timed flattery, but that moment had passed and he would have to bide his time until another presented itself.

After the gnome wizard(?) performed his ritual and asked his question Soren shot back with no small amount of bravado, "Not laws of the people. Tell me old-timer...what rule of law did the Erish follow when they burned the Temple of the Silent Flame into cinders and ash? The war didn't end just because they say it did..."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-10-23 at 03:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

The old gnome smiles. So you have been wronged by the Erish in the past, and seek revenge? Good. Hatred is reliable. I was worried you might be one of those Templars of the Old Order from the west, who- Ah, but that doesn't matter right now. His eyes lose focus for a moment as he considers something, but then he turns so that, rather than addressing Soren, he speaks towards all of you.

I have found reason to trust you. Well, at least enough to tell you the latest news: the Wolfshadow group is gone. Only one hour ago I received information about a large-scale operation the Erish just executed. They encircled the Wolfshadows while they were looking for some old mage's grave under the city. Only a handful survived and most of them joined up with us. At this point, we're the strongest resistance group in Hiriklev. The gnome says, his voice tinged with sadness. We also learned that, in one week, a large force of erishian soldiers will be moving through the city. More importantly, many of the soldiers stationed here will be leaving with them to go to the south. There are rumors that the scale troops have been advancing, but more important is the fact that, once these soldiers leave, only a handful of Erish will be staying to hold the city. The gnome seems to consider something for a moment, nodding slowly before he continues. If we can take care of them and seize control of the city, then the rest of the country will follow. The Empire of Scales may be doomed, but it is still powerful enough that the Erish won't be able to hold on to us while fighting them.

My assistant informed me that you've been fighting recently. If you're interested in taking part in the events of the coming weeks, Seriss will bring you to what will become your quarters. The old gnome says. I said I trust you enough to tell you the news, but to be honest, my brief examination of you through the spirit world has told me more than enough. Perhaps it is a bad habit, but I trust my connection with the spirit world far more than most worldly evidence. The mystic takes a deep breath and leans back, obviously curious as to what your responses will be.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-10-23 at 05:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

"That is interesting." Soren nods, absorbing this new information. "We just fled the undercity ourselves when...Seriss is it?" he asked, giving a flirtatious glance at the girl gnome, "found us. The Erish we dispatched there told tale of some fearsome creatures. I'd have considered his words treachery, especially know that I know it may have been the Wolfshadow's screams we heard. Would have, were it not for our encountering some horrible corpse-eating creatures ourselves. Unprepared for further conflict we fled back to the surface to hide and regroup and that's when your lovely assistant found us."

He pulls out a sack from his backpack. "We also have some magic we looted from the Erish, but we need someone skilled to identify what exactly they do..."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Kator leaned on a wall. At the words "lovely assistant" he facepalmed without noise.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

The old gnome looks to Seriss for a moment, and strokes his chin before speaking. Well, Seriss has always had a talent for looking into the spirit world. Perhaps she can examine these items. He says.

How many are there? Seriss asks, looking primarily at Soren. It takes an hour for me to look deep enough into the spirit world to examine the magic of an item, and there are costly pearls that I need to establish the connection, which we only have a few of.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-10-25 at 02:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Soren began to pull the items from his bag.

"Ten in all. Some of them have icons that give a clue. For example this potion with the hand covering the eyes might be a potion of invisibility...or blindness. I'm guessing this shield amulet protects against the magic missile spell...my order uses a similar device when facing spell-casters. These crystals are made for attachment to armor and weapons so we can test those out ourselves..."

Soren held up a hand and a stilleto shot forward into his hand, startling Serris. He removed it from the spring holster and attached each weapon crystal in turn, giving the air a few experimental jabs to test the effect. Then he did the same with the armor crystals, paying close attention for any changes.

While he continued his testing through elaborate katas (hoping that Serriss might take notice), he addressed the old gnome. "Soooo...um, what do we call you anyways? What do you think about these monsters in the sewers? Any idea what might be behind them?"
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-10-26 at 05:41 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Serris pales a bit when Soren mentions ten items, although she seems relieved when he mentions that only some of them need to be examined. The gnome isn't as surprised as one would normally expect when Soren reveals his hidden weapon.

One of the crystals is light green, and seems to have minuscule beads of liquid on its surface. When attached to the stiletto, the entire stiletto seems to be covered with tiny drops of the same stuff, although no other effects can be seen.

The other crystal is light blue and translucent. It has no visible effect on the weapon, but Soren feels like the stiletto is suddenly lighter, and it almost seems to jump into his palm whenever it comes out of position, even slightly.

I never liked my name, and anything I think up seems hollow. Just call me Mystic. As for the monsters beneath us...well, the Erish have a habit of being quite stubborn when it comes to things like this. I imagine that, if whatever is down there doesn't hide or leave the Erish won't stop until it's dead, which is good for us, after all. More soldiers in the sewers means less on the streets. Mystic stops for a moment, his eyes narrowing in concentration before he continues, slowly at first, but then with increasing confidence. I heard that there was a mage of the city many years ago who discovered a method for spellcasters to become undead after their death. He was ambushed and killed by several Erishian mages during the war, and it was reported by his apprentice that he would rise as an undead to continue to fight. This didn't happen, though, and the apprentice was executed shortly before the war ended. Perhaps there is truth to what he said, and the old mage has come back from his grave...That would explain why the Wolfshadows were there, he could be a powerful ally of the resistance if he is still in possession of his arcane talents.

After a moment, Mystic turns and addresses the other three. You three haven't been saying much. I know Flaven will want to join up with the rest of his old comrades, but neither of you have yet to say anything about whether or not you're interested. He says

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"I prefer to let my actions speak for me," Kator says in his gravelly voice.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Soren played around with his stiletto, quick-drawing it without the aid of his spring sheathe. He then afixed the second crystal to the thin blade and pressed it into one of the heavy wooden tables. When he removed the blade the gouge left was smoking slightly.

"Acid...useful..." he mused to himself. He then moved to attach the armor crystals to his elaborate yet lightweight monk's raiment.

"Let's see if I can figure out these armor crystals..." he added. "I may need one of you to strike at me to be sure..."

To Serris he added. "We should identify the potions, just to be sure and these glass lightning bracers...seems straightforward enough but I don't want to get shocked because I didn't know the proper command word..."

He brings the bracers and the 2 potions with the hands covering eyes to Serris. "These are the only ones I'm not quite certain about...if these pearls are expensive of course we'll kick in what we can. We thank you for your aid."

He then addressed the old gnome. "Mystic then...funny...you remind me in some ways of my old Master. I should add that while such dread rumors may indeed keep the Erish off the streets, should they turn out to be true, it could be very bad for all of us. If these Wolfshadows have gone missing, it behooves us to seek out any survivors. I know all too well the pain of losing bro...er, comrades, in uh-arms" he stumbled a bit as he caught sight of Serris working her magic and was distracted.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2011-11-06 at 07:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Serris looks down at the bracers and potions, examining them for a moment before speaking. Well, I can only dive deep enough into the spirit world to identify the magical properties of an object once per day. And yes, the pearls are fairly costly. I'll have to see how many I have at the moment before beginning to examine the first of these items... She says, becoming less focused on the real world as she considers something doubtlessly related to her magic.

At Soren's considerations, Mystic nods. While the mage served the Gnomish States in life, he may be less discriminating in who he attacks if he has risen again in undeath. I have heard things about the 'rage of the grave' and learned quite off-turning things about undead from my views into the spirit world. The old gnome says, bending forwards to examine a stick of incense as if it held the knowledge of the correct actions to take.

Serris speaks just as Mystic stops his own observations.If you're going to go back down to look for survivors, I'm coming with you. We don't know how many Erish are down there, combing the area for survivors or fighting. The gnome says, her thumbs stroking over the surface of the glass bracers in slow circles.

Flaven nods in agreement. If any of the Wolfshadows survived the massacre, it is my duty to attempt to find them. He says, obviously still shocked from the news.