New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Resistance(IC)

Danid looks at Soren with minor amazement. "Yes....as a matter of fact, I am...Have we met before?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

"Not that I know of." The man speaking appeared to be a human holding the two hafts of an exotic sickle weapon, connected by a long chain.

"We were told the Wolf-Shadows had disappeared down here. We're a newly formed cell...don't even have a name for ourselves yet..."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Seriss nods. I believe it was Mystic's intention to remain without a name, at least for now. He mentioned something about it making the group too easy to pin down. After a moment, she continues with a question. You mentioned the Erish - could it be that you're one of the Wolfshadows? The gnome asks. While you can tell from her expression that she isn't quite ready to completely trust the man, she doesn't seem to be hostile.

I think you're right, actually. I recognize him from the Wolfshadows, but he wasn't with us for long. What happened to the others? Flaven speaks up, his voice full of both concern and relief. If one had survived, then maybe the others would have as well...
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-12-25 at 10:21 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Danid's expression darkens. "In all honesty...I am not sure. I am afraid things have not ended well. We were down there, in search for an object. Then, all of a sudden, the Erish were everywhere. Fighting started and we scattered...we never stood a chance. They outnumbered us by two, maybe three to one. Maybe it was a trap?"

"I fear that what was left of the Wolfshadows is now shattered. I saw many a brother die before I took my disguise and escaped my own certain death"

To DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest I used my 'aspect of the wolf' spell to escape in wolf form.
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2011-12-30 at 08:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds good to me.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

"Well...that is disappointing news. You are welcome to join us, see if we can figure out if any of your comrades survived as you did, and get some usable intel on the Erish while we're down here. In any case, it's dangerous to stay in one spot...we should keep moving."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Danid nods. "Thanks for harbouring me for now. I agree we should keep moving...we can leave the more formal introductions for later."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Some time back in the conversation...

At Seriss's words, Kator scratches his chin.

"I remember some of the orc army having magical musicians and bards. They led elite shock troops from the back, their songs or odes bolstering their strength in the attack."

Now...

He picks up his glaive, not bothering to sheathe it, and looks around.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Flaven is clearly relieved to see one of his comrades alive. It's also clear, however, that he's also found the solution to a problem he's been wrestling with until now.

Let's split up. We should be able to handle fighting with or escaping from any Erish we meet without there being 7 of us in one group. This was we can cover twice as much ground. Unless you four have something against it, I'd like to bring Golgatha and Petal with me. Together we should have enough martial and magical strength to get along on our own. The human explains. Petal and Golgatha nod, having no problems with the suggestion.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

"Will you follow the trail or go through the door?" Kator asks.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-01-12 at 01:37 PM.
    My Steam profile

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Danid looks around with a mildly amazed look on his face. "So...we are going back...where I came from?" His expression then turns apologetic: "I am sure we can manage...things, of course. But, ehm, why?"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

"We follow the trail," Soren replied, "and see what we can find. I have no problem with splitting up, just...watch each other's back. I expect to share an ale tonight with all of you to discuss our findings."

Turning to those staying in his group Soren shrugged. "Shall we?"
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-01-15 at 04:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Flaven nods, turning to Danid to say We're going to try and find others who escaped. Of course we'll try and avoid being spotted, but if there's the opportunity, I'd like to make the Erish pay for every Wolfshadow that died today. before he, Golgatha and Petal head off, turning the corner and going out of sight.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Danid nods at Flaven. "I see, thanks. Luck be with you." He then turns to Soren: "Aye, let's".

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

The tunnel slopes downward and turns towards the center of the city. At fairly random intervals, glowing rods set into the wall provide illumination, but most of them have been destroyed or otherwise prevented by shedding light into the tunnel. Just as the intersection is out of sight due to the curving of the tunnel, you see what appears to be a partial cave-in, with dirt and pieces of rock strewn about the floor of the tunnel. The smell of dirt is fairly fresh, and not far away you see another hole, this one in the floor. Perhaps that burrowing rock-creature came through here earlier. As you continue, a strange smell filling the air as you go, you eventually come across a chamber where the tunnel noticeably widens, turning into a 30' by 50' room. Here, multiple pillars reinforce the ceiling and the floor has a covering of gravel, and you can identify the smell: burned flesh.

The moment you look into the chamber, you can tell there was a battle here. The ground has been scorched, in three places, by precise cones of flame, and close to a dozen holes dot the ground. In the center of the room is the center of the smell that hangs over the entire room, a slightly-smoking pile of corpses. After a moment you can tell that they are Erish, mostly orc, and it seems like they were blasted by flame at least once after being piled up. At first it isn't obvious, but after a moment you notice that there are dozens of small, foul-smelling puddles in the gravel of the room, although their stench is all but impossible to detect beneath the all-covering smell of fire and burning flesh.

The blood trail leads off to the left side of the chamber, where the corpse of a gnome lies. He seems to have been moved after his death - to the right of him are three arrows. Two have heads covered in congealed blood, the other one seems to have had the head snapped off before being placed where it is now. The gnome is lying in a traditional warrior's death posture: arms together, holding the weapon (which has an impossible to read word cut into it. The language resembles...every one you know, in one way or another, but it's impossible to read.), in this case a lengthened dagger, facing up. The right eye is closed, which Seriss points out as representing a death in combat.

Around the body are marks in the gravel which seem to indicate that the Erish were dragged into the pile after their deaths. The fact that shields and swords are strewn about the chamber, most covered in scorch marks or wet with the same fetid water as lies about in puddles, seems to support this. Oddly enough, some of the shields seem to have simply...fallen apart, almost. Rather than distinct scorches or signs of physical attacks, it just seems like they were worn down by some strange force.

On the wall to the right of where you came in is a reinforced door, closed and seemingly untouched during the battle. It bears the symbol of the Gnomish States Military, surprisingly still fresh, rather than faded after decades of occupation.

Further examination of the pile itself yields that there are 11 corpses. Eight are orcs, three are elves.

Search DC 11:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to the twisting of one of the bodies at the bottom of the pile, it seems like at least one elf was alive when the pile was blasted by flame and was burned/crushed to death.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"I think that the dead mage has returned," Kator says softly in his gravelly voice, while surveying the room.
    My Steam profile

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Soren let out a low whistle as he surveyed the carnage piled up in the room.

"...and from the look of things it would appear he is on our side."

He bent down, sniffing at the fetid water.

"That door looks untouched by time as well as battle. Could we have stumbled upon that dread wizard's domain?"

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20)[16]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Danid follows silently and frowns slightly when he sees the scorched piles of corpses. They are, were, Erish, of course...but still living beings. As he is put off a bit by the lack of respect of whoever did this, he silently mouths the name Kator just mentioned with minor amazement: 'Dead Mage...'

Personman:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I know this dead mage / dread wizard they mention, or is Danid as clueless as I am?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Seriss stays silent. It's clear that the corpse pile has shaken her, although she's able to keep her revulsion under control.

It looks like some of them were burned alive...Whoever did this might be an enemy of the Erish, but I'd have to be in a really desperate situation to say they're on our side.

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have no idea who 'the dead mage' is.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Danid nods at Seriss and then turns to the others. "So...dead mage? Is there something I should know? He thinks a second: "Or, I don't want to know?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Kator scratches his chin.
    "A member of the resistance mentioned a mage who had found a way to come back after death. However, he apparently would suffer something called "the rage of the grave". I don't know what that is, but I think it might have something to do with the arts of necromancy."
    My Steam profile

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

"Well there is nothing we can for any of this lot, so we should keep on exploring...gods but this place reeks..."

Soren went over to examine the sealed and seemingly untouched door of the Gnomish military.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

The door does not seem to be out of the ordinary, apart from apparently being untouched by the battle or the ravages of time and having no visible way to be opened. It is set into the wall, probably opening into whatever room is behind it, and is composed primarily of stone, with visible bands of steel crisscrossing the surface. Once he is at the door, Soren can hear flowing water on the other side. It is the sound of a river or stream, rather than of water falling onto a hard surface as might be expected.

As Soren examines the door, Seriss investigates a particularly damaged shield, saying something under her breath as she examines it slowly.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-02-04 at 09:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure what to do right now, Danid also has a casual look at the door. He then rubs his wolf on the head and tells it to go and see if he can find any traces of people. "Go, find man." He follows the wolf should it start moving about and makes sure to stop her should she want to leave the room in her search.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

"What was that?" Soren called over to Seriss as he examined the door.

"I can hear water on the other side of this door...some kind of stream or perhaps just another part of the sewers. Any of you have any skill with locating traps? Who knows what nasty surprises the gnomish military may have left for anyone who found this place..."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Danid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stench of the burned corpses is covering any other smells that may be there - it's impossible for your companion to find anything in these conditions.

Seriss looks up as Soren speaks. It's strange, the way these shields are damaged. None of the Mirroring Grasps I've heard of can do something like this. At his question, she shakes her head. I've never had to deal with those things. The gnome says.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Soren walks over to her.

"I'm sorry, what? What do you mean by Mirroring Grasp?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Mirroring Grasps are...well, they change the Spirit World and those changes spill over into our world, causing physical damage or other obvious effects. Seriss explains. I've never seen anything like this before. She adds.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Danid raises an eyebrow, obviously not quite understanding the conversation he is witnessing. "Uh...magic, you mean...or a creature....an object?" He walks over to have a look at the shield, maybe that helps him understand.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

"That was going to be my next question as well...what are we talking about here...animal? Vegetable? Mineral?"