Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Okay, only one today.

Bloody Barnabas:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: I hate painting units. I'm already sick of these dang Risen, and I've only got two colors on them. I think I'm going to break for a while and paint my Mangler, and maybe Ashlynn.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-06-03 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    Here's some warriors I painted a few weeks ago, but only now thought of posting. Apologies for my less than stellar photography skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm quite proud of their cloaks, I think they look very nice.

Of course, now that I post images, I see spots I need to touch up.

EDIT: My gods, why are they so big? Fixed
    I was thinking of painting some tzeentch warriors myself (despite not collecting them) and realised how much I prefer brightly painted models. The dark blue on those looks kind of cliche. They're supposed to be chaos but everyone chooses dark colours because they're 'evil'. Washes make painting regiments easy and its a lot easier to wash down from bright colours than put them over dark colours and not notice any change.

But that's just my taste. I think your warriors just need a little edge highlighting on the shields. Maybe on the edges of the armour as well but that isn't needed so much. They look like they've had some highlighting done in some random places but I suspect that's just the camera flash and maybe some shinyness left by a wash.

The cloaks look good, I just feel that plain cloth is a bit of a waste for tzeenth warriors no matter how well its painted.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-06-03 at 06:56 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's some warriors I painted a few weeks ago, but only now thought of posting. Apologies for my less than stellar photography skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm quite proud of their cloaks, I think they look very nice.

Of course, now that I post images, I see spots I need to touch up.

EDIT: My gods, why are they so big? Fixed
    From behind I think they look great - I think the cloaks work really well, particularly where you've got stained areas at the bottom. They look pretty good from the front, but I think they need some hightlighting on the armour to make them stand out in the way they do from the back.

As for me, I'm nearly done putting my AoBR models together. I've modified the warboss with a spare spear and stone shield from the savage orc boar boyz to add some height to the little battle standard on his back. The normal standard now forms the lower jaw of a big face with the shield as the top, with the spear supporting the shield and sticking out with some bone above it. I think stone might look weird for the shield so I'll do it like beaten gold or brass.

I'm going to hold off for now, but for the next set of orks I get I think I'll have to get more savage orcs because they have some great bits and I like adding little barbaric touches - I'd love to have a unit of ork boyz armed with sluggas and bone/stone choppas.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Pixie in the Playground

You guys were quite helpful last time, so I think ill ask for model advice again. I'm looking for a good female model to count as Straken, anyone know anything I could use, or a way I could make one?

5. - Top - End - #335

Anyone got a box of scourges yet? I still haven't built mine, been too busy with a conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor D View Post
    You guys were quite helpful last time, so I think ill ask for model advice again. I'm looking for a good female model to count as Straken, anyone know anything I could use, or a way I could make one?
    GW bits? Sorry, look around the witch hunters range. There isn't much choice.

Non-GW?

Hasselfree.
    Shadowforge
    Copperstone Casting (future war range)
    Secrets of the third reich
    Studio McVey
    Reaper Miniatures (chronoscope range)

Are mostly in the right scale.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-06-04 at 11:37 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

6. - Top - End - #336

I seem to recall a female Catachan guardswoman miniature, but it might be out of production, and was definitely not bionic in any case.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #337
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I seem to recall a female Catachan guardswoman miniature, but it might be out of production, and was definitely not bionic in any case.
    She is still in production, and she has a grenade launcher. She comes here, though is not pictured, and has a chance to not be in each box (random two out of three.)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor D View Post
    She is still in production, and she has a grenade launcher. She comes here, though is not pictured, and has a chance to not be in each box (random two out of three.)
    Which arm is bionic and holding the sword is wrong... but LINKY!
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Which arm is bionic and holding the sword is wrong... but LINKY!
    Damnit, I just found this. Now I need a squad of dinosaur rough riders. Ideas?

(This website is going to take all my money, their stuff is just too damn cool.)
    Last edited by Inquisitor D; 2011-06-04 at 02:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340

Could use the Warhammer Fantasy Cold One riders (either dark elf or Lizardmen's) mounts with whatever unit you were going to have ride them.
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

So, I finally learned how to paint.

Spoiler
    Show

I still need to pick out the green and blue bits in a brighter colour, not to mention take some better photos of the thing. I'm also planning on giving every squad a unique freehand design to tell them apart (the Commander gets flames on his legs, one Firewarrior team has vines on their gunbarrels etc.), though I'm still undecided on what I should use for the Crisis teams.

Any comments? Sorely needed advice?
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-06-04 at 04:34 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree. The greens and blues need to be brighter. I can barely see them in the photo. Try just highlighting the edges of the green and blue bits in a brighter color, they'll stand out more.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Could use the Warhammer Fantasy Cold One riders (either dark elf or Lizardmen's) mounts with whatever unit you were going to have ride them.
    You're right, you could use the lizardman cold ones. But damn, those things are ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    So, I finally learned how to paint.

Spoiler
    Show

I still need to pick out the green and blue bits in a brighter colour, not to mention take some better photos of the thing. I'm also planning on giving every squad a unique freehand design to tell them apart (the Commander gets flames on his legs, one Firewarrior team has vines on their gunbarrels etc.), though I'm still undecided on what I should use for the Crisis teams.

Any comments? Sorely needed advice?
    Yeah, you do need to pick the spot colors out. Maybe it's just a bad photo (which is a problem in itself, of course) but I was unaware there was blue on the model until I read the post.

I've always felt like tau should be painted with bold, flat color schemes, and while the camo-green sorta deal looks alright, the model should pop...which it doesn't.

What I'm trying to say is I would use a brighter, bolder green as the base color.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's what I've finished today:

Updated Bloody Barnabas: I meant to do the blood spatter before I took the last set of photos. Oops.
    Spoiler
    Show

Mangler: The color difference between the edging on his plating, and the color of the plating itself isn't that big, IRL. The flash kind of accentuates the difference here. That shininess is just from the P3 Armor Wash. I'm not sure exactly what's in it. He's Charadon Granite with a black wash, followed by the Armor Wash.
    Spoiler
    Show

Risen Thrall: I love painting undead, I can just go wild. (Of course, you really can't tell after the liberal application of Devlan Mud.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ashlynn D'Elyse I don't know what happened here. My camera leeched all the red out of these pics. Her surcoat(?) is supposed to be purple, and her lips are more of a flesh-toned-pink. Also, it's really hard to highlight the Citadel Chainmail color. It is, though. Highlighted in P3 Radiant Platinum, with extreme highlights in Mithril Silver.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, you do need to pick the spot colors out. Maybe it's just a bad photo (which is a problem in itself, of course) but I was unaware there was blue on the model until I read the post.

I've always felt like tau should be painted with bold, flat color schemes, and while the camo-green sorta deal looks alright, the model should pop...which it doesn't.

What I'm trying to say is I would use a brighter, bolder green as the base color.
    Yeah, I definitely need to pick out the spot colours. I'll see what I can rustle up.

And it's painted grey, not green. I think that's just the photo though, since it looks pretty nice in real life.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

DSmiles, the Thrall looks great, the shading on the skull is top notch. In regards to highlighting silver, I've used small amounts of white for a final highlight.
    When I'm aiming for a very bright armour I still start with black or at least gunmetal so I can leave it in the recesses for shading and highlight up, rather than shade down as it can make the armour look dirty.

Tome, he looks good and I can't think of any advice aside from what you already said yourself :)
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    DSmiles, the Thrall looks great, the shading on the skull is top notch. In regards to highlighting silver, I've used small amounts of white for a final highlight.
    When I'm aiming for a very bright armour I still start with black or at least gunmetal so I can leave it in the recesses for shading and highlight up, rather than shade down as it can make the armour look dirty.
    Thanks, Zorg. I'll try the white highlighting, since I want her to be really shiny. Paladin-esque, even. (That way I can use her for a gun-toting DnD paladin, if I want. )

18. - Top - End - #348

yesterday I bought my first Finecast model and I quite like it, painting it also turned out quite great so I wanted to show him off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    one of the coolest models in the warhammer range, it has both grace and a sense of grim determination behind it.

Last edited by Borgh; 2011-06-05 at 11:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Colossus in the Playground

We had some discussion about this in the local game store, but: how well does the finecast stuff take the paint? I quite dislike painting metal, because sometimes, the paint stars breaking off on some parts before I've even finished others.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

My Astorath painted quite nicely. I had some trouble with the spraying as it needed a lot of touching up but it wasn't me who sprayed the model in the first place (on account of it being sprayed at the store and only staff members being allowed to do it to stop the place getting fumed up) so it may just have been the person who sprayed it doing a shoddy job. The painting itself I found quite easy, pretty much like plastic really as I recall. So far his axe head has snapped off once but that glued back really easily without leaving a mark and unlike metal there has been absolutely no chipping at all so no need to give him a coat of varnish or anything like that.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Colossus in the Playground

Wonderful news, then. Of course, I already have all the heroes I'll need any time soon. But still.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #352

Quote Originally Posted by Jair Barik View Post
    My Astorath painted quite nicely. I had some trouble with the spraying as it needed a lot of touching up but it wasn't me who sprayed the model in the first place (on account of it being sprayed at the store and only staff members being allowed to do it to stop the place getting fumed up) so it may just have been the person who sprayed it doing a shoddy job. The painting itself I found quite easy, pretty much like plastic really as I recall. So far his axe head has snapped off once but that glued back really easily without leaving a mark and unlike metal there has been absolutely no chipping at all so no need to give him a coat of varnish or anything like that.
    seconded, only I did a proper spray job and the model was joy to paint.

Edit: to elaborate a bit, the Woodie Highborn was the first of my woodie models to be undercoated with Army Painters Uniform Gray (you can see some near his elbows, I just saw and fixed that) and that stuff is awesome, it gives the best of both the black and white worlds, nice auto-shading with a bit of care and it takes colour like a sausage in an inferno.
    Last edited by Borgh; 2011-06-05 at 02:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Quick question for you folks. I'm trying to decide on a paint scheme for my Grey Knights, and I can't decide whether to stick with the default silver, or go with black, frost-covered armour and glowing blue details.

Any opinions on what would look better?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

go with black, frost-covered armour and glowing blue details.
    I think you answered your own question.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I think you answered your own question.
    I agree. Standard grey knights look too shiny and uniform for me. The other idea sounds different and exciting.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Duly noted. Icy cold badasses it is then.

Now to figure out how on earth I'm going to actually paint that...

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

Duly noted. Icy cold badasses it is then.

Now to figure out how on earth I'm going to actually paint that...
    I don't envy you on that one - getting frost-covered armour to look good sounds like a challenge!

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

You could just add a little bit of snow flock to the models, in the places frost would form.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or you could, you know, haindpaint frost patterns like an 'eavy metal pro.

Just an option.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

So...hand-painting patterns is preferable to using flock (which would add actual texture)? I disagree. More realistic is better, IMO.