New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    So exactly where, in Athel Loren, is the mine and/or the smithy?
    They probably just hold onto the old armour from before the rest of the elves withdrew from the old world.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

My best miniature to date (and my first Ork!). I'm quite proud of this guy.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    My best miniature to date (and my first Ork!). I'm quite proud of this guy.

:picture:
    looks pretty nice, my recommendation would be to pick out the teeth and if possible the eyes, this will really bring him alive.

4. - Top - End - #424

I agree- when starting out it's the details that are important. Learning to pick them out cleanly will help a lot and help you build a good foundation for more advanced techniques in the future.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

If they are too fine to paint with a normal brush, try a toothpick, by the way. I've found they help a lot with fine things, especially patterns on large areas (really, I couldn't paint my eldar tanks or banners otherwise), but also on details.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

HOLY CRAP

i was building a tomb scorpion,

or trying too

its frikking impossible

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

7. - Top - End - #427
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    HOLY CRAP

i was building a tomb scorpion,

or trying too

its frikking impossible

DM
    Oh sweet Jebus, I know how you feel. I remember trying to build mine years ago. It took me several days of swearing, copious amounts of blue tac and having small chunks of my skin torn from my fingers in super glue mishaps before I finally managed to get those damned legs in place. When I'd finally built it I gleefully took it outside in a box for spraying, then went back inside to fetch the spray. While I was gone a gust of wind blew the box off of the table it was on. The scorpion fell out and landed on some concrete slabs. Every single freaking piece broke off.

I don't know who designed that model, but I suspect the involvement of either Satan, Cthulhu or the Chaos Gods.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrWilhelm View Post
    Oh sweet Jebus, I know how you feel. I remember trying to build mine years ago. It took me several days of swearing, copious amounts of blue tac and having small chunks of my skin torn from my fingers in super glue mishaps before I finally managed to get those damned legs in place. When I'd finally built it I gleefully took it outside in a box for spraying, then went back inside to fetch the spray. While I was gone a gust of wind blew the box off of the table it was on. The scorpion fell out and landed on some concrete slabs. Every single freaking piece broke off.

I don't know who designed that model, but I suspect the involvement of either Satan, Cthulhu or the Chaos Gods.
    All of them.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #429

Agreed, Joint effort one of the more annoying models I have ever seen.

On a side note... I remember someone asking how bad making the Malifaux character Nekima. She wasn't bad with a little sip kicker. The wings are in a slot that allows some "flap" room for posing. The only issue I had is it took me a while to figure out the correct arm position to get Nekima's to hold the sword hold her two handed sword correctly.
    I play:
    RPG: Pathfinder; D&D 3.X, 4; L5R; World of Darkness; Exalted, and many more.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Greenskins and Bretonnia
    Warmachine: Cygnar and Trollblood
    Malifaux: Rasputina (Arcanists)
    Warhammer 40k: Tau and Necron.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    All of them.
    Cthulu: Isn't this a little heavy on the senseless geometery?
    Khorne: Would the sawblade be too much?
    Tzeentch: This is stupid.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-06-18 at 10:06 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Agreed, Joint effort one of the more annoying models I have ever seen.

On a side note... I remember someone asking how bad making the Malifaux character Nekima. She wasn't bad with a little sip kicker. The wings are in a slot that allows some "flap" room for posing. The only issue I had is it took me a while to figure out the correct arm position to get Nekima's to hold the sword hold her two handed sword correctly.
    That was me I believe. Thanks for the info, may get her in the future then.

Also I may finally be able to show some pics of my Skaven! Some guys were taking photos at the big end of term game today, when they go up tomorrow I can probably link.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432

I used heavy duty two component epoxy glue on most parts of my old Talos pain engine.

and still parts tend to fall off.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright. Who's fault is this one?

I just bought into Malifaux. (Granted, it was only about $100, and I could play a small game with the box I bought, but still...) Somebody (I'm not going to name any names) was posting about Nemika, and Lord Chompybits, and now I'm hooked. I bought the Lady Justice box, Fate Deck, and main rule book (along with the box of five 30mm cemetery bases, cemetery accessories, and box of 2 coffins). My next Malifaux acquisition will probably be the Sonnia Criid box (and the box of five 30mm victorian bases).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post

I just bought into Malifaux. (Granted, it was only about $100, and I could play a small game with the box I bought, but still...) Somebody (I'm not going to name any names) was posting about Nemika, and Lord Chompybits, and now I'm hooked. I bought the Lady Justice box, Fate Deck, and main rule book (along with the box of five 30mm cemetery bases, cemetery accessories, and box of 2 coffins). My next Malifaux acquisition will probably be the Sonnia Criid box (and the box of five 30mm victorian bases).
    I have only just basecoated my tactical marine squad from the black reach set, and i'm considering buying several squads of assault marines since they count as troops under the BA codex.

Spoiler
    Show
    Captain
    Spoiler
    Show

Marine
    Spoiler
    Show

And I haven't actually played a full game yet.

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by DrWilhelm View Post

yeah, i'm not even going to do the legs. my plan is to convert it so that its floating in the air, were the legs are there will be 8 skulls, kind of like VTOL jet engines.

anything so i don't have to do those legs! *twitch twitch*

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post

Personally not a fan of the guild but then I very rarely play as straight up humans in anything. If you can find people to play with it really is a fun game and the great thing I found (beyond the awesome models) was that it wasn't too expensive to pick up two fully playable armies so I could have games with people who were interested even if they hadn't bought anything. How do you find the scenic bases? I have on one or two occasions found it hard to stick people to them but I hear the next batch (the morgue ones) are being done in resin.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Cthulu: Isn't this a little heavy on the senseless geometery?
    Khorne: Would the sawblade be too much?
    Tzeentch: This is stupid.

Nurgle: Too little rotten flesh.
    Give it: flesh, a long tounge and breasts, and i will adopt it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jair Barik View Post
    How do you find the scenic bases? I have on one or two occasions found it hard to stick people to them but I hear the next batch (the morgue ones) are being done in resin.
    Couldn't say. I'm going to work on them a bit today. The PP scenic bases (like eMagnus and Alexia Ciannor) have a tab that goes into the base's slot. (Man, that sounds dirty. ) It makes them stick pretty well. These have flat bottoms (more innuendo, anyone? ) so, I'm not sure how well they'll stick. I'm currently using Locktite brand super glue, but I'd be more comfortable with Gorilla Glue for these particular scenic bases, I think.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Whew. Long time, no see, modelling thread. Let's get you back on the front page with...

Lady Justice:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Crap. There's a red splotch on the headstone. Guess I'll fix that tonight.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-06-23 at 07:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Not bad, man. The metallics on her legs look very nice.

Here's a sneak peak of the Thief of Hearts diorama. I just need to snap a final set of pics- the link'll take you to WAMP. I was too lazy to upload the pic to my server, so it's up as an attachment there: See the pic here.

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post

Here's a sneak peak of the Thief of Hearts diorama. I just need to snap a final set of pics- the link'll take you to WAMP. I was too lazy to upload the pic to my server, so it's up as an attachment there: See the pic here.
    aww, you need to register there to download stuff. Can't wait to see the finished thing.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks.
    Tried a new wash for the metallics (homemade, at that). I had just a tiny bit of Boltgun Metal left in a pot, and I says to myself, I says, "Self, I wonder how this would look as a wash." So I added water, and made myself a wash out of it. I think it works pretty well for washing-but-not-antiquing metallics, while the P3 Armour Wash is good for giving metallics an antiqued look.

And the gold bits are Blighted Gold with a little Brass Balls highlight.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-06-23 at 10:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443

I seem to have a penchant for grand dioramas, which I think the height of the ruins in this one proves. Maybe I should have made it shorter, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just love the image of her flying away, firing at some unseen enemy while the nearby weasel's looking around wondering what's going on. He was added because I remembered SteveB saying that you should always have something surprising on the back of a dio to surprise the judges. What's more surprising than a Weasel?

I'm pleased with how the wings turned out- they were time consuming, but not as hard as I thought they'd be. For the gold I shaded and glazed it with Babab Black and then purple, then brought the highlights back up with some of the Vallejo Air Metallics. Skin was done with my new Lifecolor skin set- I'm still working out how to best use it, but I do like the stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

I also redid Sansa Stark a bit- mainly I painted the middriff panel a different color and picked out the pearls in the fabric. I did a lot of hard thinking, but I cannot get rid of the tree and I don't have the time to add any more branches. I put too much thought into the composition of this piece- I wanted it to a foreboding scene that hints at what Sansa faces in the books. That's why she's alone under this large, looming tree in the cold. I'm very glad to say that I am truly happy with it now.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444

The wings on the angel are...stunning. Just stunning.

Wow.

In other news, it turns out it takes a long time to paint 40-some marauders for my Warriors of Chaos at once. Who'da thunk it?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

I just spent the whole day trying to find enough time to paint the shoulder pads on one of my space marines. And i'm STILL not done

GW could make a fortune in prepainted models...

...is what i would be saying if i wasn't making a custom chapter anyway

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Incomp View Post
    The wings on the angel are...stunning. Just stunning.

Thanks a lot- I used the plumage of a red tailed hawk as my inspiration.
    Last edited by CreganTur; 2011-06-24 at 07:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

What's more surprising than a Weasel?
    A duckbunny?

Once again, I'm amazed at your talent, CT. If having an entire army commission painted wouldn't be so expensive (and I didn't enjoy doing it myself ) I'd definitely have you paint it for me. Especially after the conversion work you did on my nightmares, and those photos of the Thief of Hearts.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Crean tur@
    Wow. Just wow.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

Work in progress librarian.

Spoiler
    Show
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooooo...the Headless Horse(power)man.

EDIT: Hey, guys (and gals), look what I found!

The Judge:
    Spoiler
    Show

Perdita:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ronin:
    Spoiler
    Show

Unused (as yet) Bases:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by dsmiles; 2011-06-24 at 09:16 PM.