Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Some more Space Shaaaaaaarks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Probably need to re-do the edge highlights; they appear to have been completely erased by the sunlight.
    The face also looks a bit flat.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

So, I had an idea that is probably not going to work. Here's the thing: I love the sphinxes that Nehekhara gets now. I want one, even if I never play Khemri.

Then I started thinking what to do with the leftover parts. Building it leaves me with a torso, head and a few other parts. I thought about converting that part into a Bone Giant (Titan, now) that looks a bit more like an actual statue.

The problem, of course, being that it lacks half a torso and legs. And here comes my question: does anyone know a (preferably plastic) model that has useful legs for this? Statue preferable, but really, any big model with good-looking legs works.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Could you slice the top off of the dude from the honoured imperium terrain set? None of the pieces go to waste as you end up with some ruined statues for scenery in 40k (assuming you play that of course).

EDIT: Further thoughts
    Of 'roughly' appropriate size and in plastic...
    -Rat ogres (probably too skinny though)
    -River troll (probably too squat though)
    -Chaos daemon prince (could be good)
    -Minotaur (probably much too fleshy)
    -Ogres (clothes would likely need some converting to look more ruined)
    Last edited by Jair Barik; 2011-05-06 at 01:21 PM.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Probably need to re-do the edge highlights; they appear to have been completely erased by the sunlight.
    ROAR! I EATZ LITTLE PEEPLES!

So, how many of them do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The problem, of course, being that it lacks half a torso and legs. And here comes my question: does anyone know a (preferably plastic) model that has useful legs for this? Statue preferable, but really, any big model with good-looking legs works.
    Ooof... that might be difficult. That Sphinx really is pretty damn huge and massive.

Brainstorming:
    - an actual Bone Giant. Might kinda defeat the purpose though.
    - a regular Giant. That would be large enough... but it's not exactly what I would call "good-looking".
    - this piece of scenery was actually my very first idea - it would be good looking, and it shouldn't be too difficult to cut it in shape - but I'm pretty sure it's much too small.
    - some Daemon Prince or another. But I'm pretty sure those are way too small as well.
    - briefly thought of Inquisitor models. No. Way, way, way too small.
    - umm... drawing blank. I can't think of any humanoid models in the GW range that would be large enough, besides actual Giants. I may be underestimating the size of some of the above, or my memory is playing tricks on me regarding how large the sphinx is (remember, I had two of those going up against me, that may make them seem larger than they are in my mind ), but I think you'd have to either get a Giant of some sort or seek outside of the GW range (where my knowledge doesn't reach and I can give no advice. ).

EDIT: Partially ninja'd. Jair Barik, I think one of us two either severely under- or overestimates the size of the sphinx. I'm horrible at estimating sizes (and so is my memory when it comes to them), so there is an excellent chance it's me - but I think Ogres and Minotaurs and such would have to be twice as tall as they are for them to fit the Sphinx. Minimum.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2011-05-06 at 01:30 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #65

Hmmm. I might actually start looking around for non-model things. Small statuettes or the like. The imperium guy might work.

Here's a a picture I found for size:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit:
    How would the Eldar Avatar fit in size, I wonder...
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-05-06 at 01:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Nice smooth grey, and the power sword is very sharky. Only criticism is the white of the teeth designs could do with another coat. When I do those designs I put the white down first (well, astro-grey then white), and put the red over the top. Doing it that way allows me to get a crisper white and sharper edges on the teeth.

Eldan, you could mount it on something totally different to make some necron like construct if you can't find legs for it.

Titan progress:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I've increased the glow around the lines, as well as added soem deeper shading to the lines. Both are visible to me sitting here around eight feet away, though the shading is quite subtle this far away which I think is a good thing - the lines don't look flat, but they still look like they are meant to be a consistent shade.
    Still need to add some highlighting though.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Big no no the eldar avatar.
    That model is way too small. However a forgeworld avatar may work or alternatively a Wraithlord.

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Hell no, I'm not buying forgeworld models. The shipping alone would ruin me. So, barring an actual statuette, demon lord seems like the best bet.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've always wanted to paint one of the really gritty and violent fantasy orcs from GW,and I managed to pick up an old metal Gorbad Ironhide on the cheap at a LHS down in Atlanta. I really like this sculpt- there are a lot of open areas to play around on and I plan on trying a bunch of new things to really make him look good.

So far the only think finished on him is the skin, mouth, and teeth (except for the metal tusk). I started out with a mixture of Goblin Green and Bronzed Flesh for the base color. I shaded to red and then down into purple with a number of glazes and brought up the highlights to a pure glaze of Deck Tan.

The tongue was actually fun to paint and took a number of different colors to complete. I based it with VMC Scarlet Red and the applied a few washes of Leviathan Purple. Once that all dried I glazed some pink around the outer edge and blended it all together.

I'm hoping to make this guy a DG entry, so harsh critiques are most appreciated.

Spoiler
    Show
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    I'm hoping to make this guy a DG entry, so harsh critiques are most appreciated.
    RED ONES GO FASTA!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Hell no, I'm not buying forgeworld models. The shipping alone would ruin me. So, barring an actual statuette, demon lord seems like the best bet.
    Yep. The non FW version is about the size of a terminator.

Also CreganTur what is DG? Do you mean GD (golden demon)?

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. I might actually start looking around for non-model things. Small statuettes or the like. The imperium guy might work.

Here's a a picture I found for size:
    Spoiler
    Show

That thing is pretty huge. And i am going to buy 2 tomorrow

Edit:
    How would the Eldar Avatar fit in size, I wonder...
    Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    I've always wanted to paint one of the really gritty and violent fantasy orcs from GW,and I managed to pick up an old metal Gorbad Ironhide on the cheap at a LHS down in Atlanta. I really like this sculpt- there are a lot of open areas to play around on and I plan on trying a bunch of new things to really make him look good.

So far the only think finished on him is the skin, mouth, and teeth (except for the metal tusk). I started out with a mixture of Goblin Green and Bronzed Flesh for the base color. I shaded to red and then down into purple with a number of glazes and brought up the highlights to a pure glaze of Deck Tan.

The tongue was actually fun to paint and took a number of different colors to complete. I based it with VMC Scarlet Red and the applied a few washes of Leviathan Purple. Once that all dried I glazed some pink around the outer edge and blended it all together.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grimgor ironhide? The red armor is way too flat. I don´t know but if you dare you can maby try non metal metal?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

He did say the skin and teeth were the only bits that were finished.
    Those parts are looking pretty good to me, keep up the good work.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jair Barik View Post
    He did say the skin and teeth were the only bits that were finished.
    Those parts are looking pretty good to me, keep up the good work.
    Yeah well he did. Also Cregan i really liked whatyou did with the severed head, is it a statue?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    The face also looks a bit flat.
    It's actually shaded, but pale skin plus bright lights plus bad angle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    ROAR! I EATZ LITTLE PEEPLES!

So, how many of them do you have now?
    Er, thirteen. Kind of a slow process when I don't have the right paints at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Nice smooth grey, and the power sword is very sharky. Only criticism is the white of the teeth designs could do with another coat. When I do those designs I put the white down first (well, astro-grey then white), and put the red over the top. Doing it that way allows me to get a crisper white and sharper edges on the teeth.
    Y'know, I actually paint red by painting white first, and that never occurred to me. I'll give it a go on the next model.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Today i am going to GW to get my hands on some of the new tomb kings
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, remember how I said that I was going to do a bit of colour test with Quickshade to see if it'd work for shading my Warmachine models? It was in the previous thread so it probably got lost. Anyway, finally got around to it and, either I should've used bits with more recessed detail, painted the Quickshade on rather than dipping, or Strong Tone doesn't do enough to the colour.

Ice Blue and Elf Flesh were still too bright after the 'shade and there didn't seem to be much difference in the darker colours. So with that in-mind, I'm going to do something I swore I would never do when I first got into tabletop wargames - hand highlighting.

Not sure how long it'll be, still got a couple of Stormblades missing arms and I haven't even primed stuff yet. Probably do that tomorrow if it's not raining. Either way - don't get your hopes up on quality, especially since I can't be bothered to mix paints (if I ever shift over to a paint range that uses dropper bottles instead of GW's pots that may change - watching the painting videos Beasts of War did for a Grey Knight Terminator's gotten me a bit more open to the idea).
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Eldan, you could mount it on something totally different to make some necron like construct if you can't find legs for it.
    Now I'm tempted of getting a gigantic snake body. That should be easier, actually, they sell rubber snake at every fair here. I'll have to try that. Then some plastic card, some wire and some greenstuff... that should work.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

So, P3 paints kind of irritate me. I have here Idrian Flesh, Bootstrap Leather, and Bloodtracker Brown and I swear they're the exact same shade, with only a slight difference in tone.
    Thank goodness for Menoth White Highlight or I'd never get decent highlights.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now I'm tempted of getting a gigantic snake body. That should be easier, actually, they sell rubber snake at every fair here. I'll have to try that. Then some plastic card, some wire and some greenstuff... that should work.
    What about, like, a necron tomb stalker?

21. - Top - End - #81

Another Forgeworld model, sadly. Would be cool, but shipping from the UK here is extremely expensive. Plus, from what I've heard, Resin is difficult (and potentially dangerous) to work with.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

I have some resin (dystopian wars) models. Theyare indeed hard to work with compared to plastic but in this case thankfully there is very little to do on them except clip off of flash.

It is a carcinogenic though and so any work beyond clipping off flash (sanding, drilling etc.) should be done outside in a well ventilated area wearing a mask of some kind to avoid inhaling dust/fumes. It is indeed dangerous.

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Today i am going to GW to get my hands on some of the new tomb kings
    I just did that. Only bought the book and a box of tomb guard and I'll probably use the tomb gaurd for bits to spread among my chariots and warriors. Just because a proper unit of Tomb Guard would be expensive.

One of the nice parts about the book is the alternate colour schemes in the colour section. They're all a lot better than the standard one.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

24. - Top - End - #84

Oh? I've had a look through the new WD, there wasn't anything in there I liked more than the standard one.

I thought I might go for Alabaster over the ever-present Obsidian, though. Seems more egyptian. In fact, I can't remember seeing Obsidian anywhere in Egyptian art.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I thought I might go for Alabaster over the ever-present Obsidian, though. Seems more egyptian. In fact, I can't remember seeing Obsidian anywhere in Egyptian art.
    That seems quite reasonable, considering they had a city named after Alabaster in Ancient Egypt, whereas I'm not aware of them having had any volcanoes in their vicinity.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #86

Ah, didn't know about the city. But I've seen plenty of Egyptian statuary from the material.

Edit:
    The finer kinds of alabaster are employed largely as an ornamental stone, especially for ecclesiastical decoration and for the rails of staircases and halls. Its softness enables it to be carved readily into elaborate forms, but its solubility in water renders it unsuitable for outdoor work. If alabaster with a smooth, polished surface is washed with washing-up liquid, it will become rough, dull and whiter, losing most of its translucency and lustre.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-05-07 at 12:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Good thing it's a dry, dry desert out there in Nehekhara.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #88

Not much for invading the old world, though.

Ah, well. It's magic

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh? I've had a look through the new WD, there wasn't anything in there I liked more than the standard one.
    They have some guys with green-bronze armour and weapons that are pretty cool.

Its probably just that the studio army is worse painted than the one off models that they don't actually have an army of.

My personal idea for the spare necrosphinx bits is a Thousand Sons Defiler.

Not much for invading the old world, though.
    At least the new fluff lets you invade the old world rather than just be stay at home and read kings.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-05-07 at 12:41 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, some of them went from "restore our might" to "crawling in my skin and crawling scarabs in your skin!" with the new book. Not that I mind, they're the only undead I actually like.

I love the ... scarlet king? red king? not sure about his name in English. Lovely paint scheme his army got.

Also, a note for all those who paint Word Bearers: Army Painters' Dragon Red is too light for them. Back to GW's paint gun for me.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.