New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    Isn't there a manual somewhere?
    Are you kidding? We're talking about Forge World, here. The instructions are a joke. The assembly instructions, such as they are, simply have a bad photocopy of the Valkyrie instructions, which don't apply because the Vulture resin part goes together in a different fashion.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Forge World
    THERE it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #1083

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    THERE it is!
    There what is? The problem? Yeah, I know that; I just want to know how to fix it. A visual aid:
    Spoiler
    Show

I haven't cut off the pegs yet, but as you can see even without them, the crew assembly overlaps the edge of the hole its supposed to go in by over half the width of the hull. (It's flush to the edge on the side away from the camera.)
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Titan in the Playground

Quick question from someone with almost no experience.

I'm fairly new to assembling Warhammer models... A friend has been teaching me, and one of the things he stressed was removing mold lines from the model.

I've got a few packs of VC Skeletons that I've been wanting to put together. The only mold lines I found on those models were between the ribs (quite difficult to get at). Do some models just not have mold lines to worry about or am I overlooking something? Seems like something that should be really obvious, but I just barely know what I'm doing as it is.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2012-08-07 at 12:58 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

@Renegade Paladin: Looks like you need to do some careful sanding, bro.

@Summoner: Some mold lines are nearly invisible until you prime the mini, and almost all minis have mold lines. There are some, however, that don't, but these are few and far between.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2012-08-07 at 07:52 AM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Titan in the Playground

In that case, any suggestions for how to find and removes ones I can't seem to see?

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    In that case, any suggestions for how to find and removes ones I can't seem to see?
    Give it a light coat of primer, then maybe a black or other dark wash. That should show up any mold lines that don't show on just the plastic/metal mini.

I use some micro-files I picked up at Home Depot for mold lines, and hobby knives (X-Acto or otherwise) for the really big and/or stubborn ones.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Renegade - resin sometimes shrinks after casting, so it is likely the cockpit part has shrunk. My suggestion would be to ring Forge World and explain the situation to them, they're usually pretty good with this sort of thing.

@ Summoner - I remove mold lines with a knife - for fine ones I reverse the blade and shave the flash off. One way to detect lines is that they're always on the same plane and straight, as it's run-off from between the two halves of the mold.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

9. - Top - End - #1089

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    @ Renegade - resin sometimes shrinks after casting, so it is likely the cockpit part has shrunk. My suggestion would be to ring Forge World and explain the situation to them, they're usually pretty good with this sort of thing.
    Forge World apparently just doesn't answer e-mails. I sent them two or three with questions about ordering back when I was ordering the lot this came in in the first place and never got anything but their automatic reply telling me they got it and would answer as soon as they could, which to date has been "never."

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just dropped a chunk of change on the Reaper Kickstarter, and I am very happy to have done so. Currently in for the Vampire level, the carying case, the new paint set, and I'm thinking about getting the new dragons as well.

This is an unbelievable value, so if you haven't checked this out, then you really need to!

Been on a bit of a painting break after pushing those 40k minis onto Ebay. Got a bunck of 40k Orks I need to finish for the next Ebay push along with a bunch of side projects.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Just dropped a chunk of change on the Reaper Kickstarter, and I am very happy to have done so. Currently in for the Vampire level, the carying case, the new paint set, and I'm thinking about getting the new dragons as well.

This is an unbelievable value, so if you haven't checked this out, then you really need to!

Been on a bit of a painting break after pushing those 40k minis onto Ebay. Got a bunck of 40k Orks I need to finish for the next Ebay push along with a bunch of side projects.
    That's pretty amazing. Thanks for the heads up!
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Forge World apparently just doesn't answer e-mails. I sent them two or three with questions about ordering back when I was ordering the lot this came in in the first place and never got anything but their automatic reply telling me they got it and would answer as soon as they could, which to date has been "never."
    That's why I said *ring* - if you get them on the phone they've always been super helpful to me.

And speaking on mini related kickstarters, Soda Pop are doing one for Relic Knights.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2012-08-09 at 12:10 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ogre in the Playground

Curse you. Now I can't decide if I want to throw the full 100 dollars (and a bit for dragons+paint set) or just the 60 dollar one so I can have enough characters and unit champions to last me a few Warhammer armies (And maybe some sort of Mordheim gang).

EDIT: And the decision has been made. I'll probably end up going with the vampire tier. Extra fighters and such for Mordheim and dragons. The models look good and I haven't been disappointed by Reaper so far.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2012-08-09 at 04:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1094

Just note that if you go with the Mummy level (just the 30 new Bones figures) that you won't be getting any of the free add-ons that have been added to Vampire ($100 level).

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ettin in the Playground

Well sign up for smaller level now and keep watching and see if, in just under 2 weeks, when it is almost over, you have the money to justify the upgrade and maybe the models will be too hard to pass up. You can upgrade and change your contribution at any time.

16. - Top - End - #1096

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    That's why I said *ring* - if you get them on the phone they've always been super helpful to me.
    That costs money and requires me to be on the phone in the middle of the night.

Edit: If the pattern continues, I will haul the model to Gen Con and hassle them at their booth.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-08-09 at 04:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ogre in the Playground

So, they got to the Dragon stretch goal in the Reaper kickstarter. This is tarting to look bad. I feel like I may end up spending as much on the extra stuff as on the actual tier level itself. That's basically my entire budget for the rest of the year gone.

(Vampire tier, paint set 1, Ebonwrath and the other dragons.)
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2012-08-10 at 02:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1098

Ahhh, but you'll have more than enough miniatures for a year.

And I agree- I'm going to be spending much more than I originally thought. The options are just so good!

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

Well here is another model/gaming kickstarter. This one however is for terrain. Seems best for a fantasy or at least not-sci-fi setting.
    Not really sure if it is a good deal or not. Seems reasonable, maybe a bit expensive, depends how good of quality they actually end up with.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...games-farm-set

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I wanted to convert a Sister Superior with a bolter to have a storm bolter, would it be possible to just glue a normal bolter to the side of her bolter? I've never done any conversions (and I don't even have any SoB yet; I'm just thinking long-term), would it work out?
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

21. - Top - End - #1101

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    If I wanted to convert a Sister Superior with a bolter to have a storm bolter, would it be possible to just glue a normal bolter to the side of her bolter? I've never done any conversions (and I don't even have any SoB yet; I'm just thinking long-term), would it work out?
    Just had a look at my Marine bolters and if they are similar (you have to cut off the grip and glue it to a hand) it would work if you filed off the Aquila and the rest of the profile.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Well here is another model/gaming kickstarter. This one however is for terrain. Seems best for a fantasy or at least not-sci-fi setting.
    Not really sure if it is a good deal or not. Seems reasonable, maybe a bit expensive, depends how good of quality they actually end up with.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...games-farm-set
    Looks alright, but so long as businesses like Sarissa exist that level is just going to come off as ... ugly. Really, really ugly.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

23. - Top - End - #1103

Didn't want to say anything originally, but I completely agree. I guess it would be an easy way to have decent looking terrain for wargaming, but it's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination.

In other news- Reaper keeps finding new ways to convince me to give them more money.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't ever heard of Sarissa, but looking them up, I don't see them as all that impressive either. Of course they don't seem to have much for pictures on the site either. The gallery has one scene that looks pretty good, but I think thats more to do with a better paint job then the one on the kickstarter page.
    The main issue with the Sarissa designs is that none of them really fit any game system I play. They are too modern for Fantasy and too old for 40k, and not the right scale for Battletech. The Infinity line might work better for sci-fi but they don't have any actual pictures at all of it and it doesn't fit in with the general feel of 40k.

At least the farm mostly fits a fantasy setting. I think the windmill looks a lot better then the buildings, the bridges are reasonable. Bridges can be used with all the systems too. Pricing seems fairly similar, with the Sarissa site needing currency conversion and the Kickstarter not having building broke down by price, but guesstimating it puts a 2 story building at about $25 from both places.

Any other options for decent terrain? I haven't found much of anything I like for Battletech so far and have been using card-stock terrain (which has somehow disappeared along with my foam hills) for the most part. I'm pretty sure my play mat is 1.5" hexes... though they might be 2" hexes. But of course a new play mat is easier to find then good terrain.

GW's terrain is pretty limited, though they have some pretty nice stuff. It is expensive though.
    Last year I bought my brother some molds for making blocks out of plaster to build buildings. Mostly for a fantasy look, though it works reasonably well for a sci-fi ruin too, and again not the right scale for Battletech. It makes some very good looking terrain but it is a lot of work and we haven't actually finished many pieces because of that.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Didn't want to say anything originally, but I completely agree. I guess it would be an easy way to have decent looking terrain for wargaming, but it's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination.

In other news- Reaper keeps finding new ways to convince me to give them more money.
    I agree on both counts. When you want more money, just offer more dragons.

So far I want: the base stuff, all 4 dragons, fire and ice giants (will probably skip) and some paints. So many things I want.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Erloas - never used hexes, so no idea how they fit with it, but I'd suggest checking out JR miniatures, they do a 6mm sci-fi line.
    Xmarx's buildings are prettymuch designed for Battletech.

Daemonscape have some stuff, as do Moondragons.

Old Crow had a 6mm line, but the company is currently OOP - well worth tracking down though:

(not mine, but the quality of their product is excellent - comes cleaned of flash and grease)

Another source is Z scale model train stuff. You'll mostly get big sheds and industrial facilities, but you can also find cool things like radio telescopes, apartment blocks and so on. Doesn't scale perfectly with B'tech, but for the more industrial stuff it doesn't matter. Also a good source of things like trees and roads.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.

27. - Top - End - #1107

My dad collected z-scale trains. IT's funny how few people know about them. I inherited them after he passed and sold off all but the few I wanted to keep- made a nice bit of money off of them.

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna try drybrushing my minis soon (dark gray on top of a black basecoat). Any tips for a newbie?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #1109

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I'm gonna try drybrushing my minis soon (dark gray on top of a black basecoat). Any tips for a newbie?
    You need a paper towel and a stiff bristled brush. After you dip your brush in the paint you need to brush it over the paper towel until there's barely anything coming off, then you can start drybrushing your mini. If there is still a lot of wet paint on the brush, then you will get streaks when you start brushing.

Make sure you drag the brush on the paper towel in a circular motion a few times to make sure you don't have any wet bristles that haven't ben used yet.

Drybrushing builds up over time, so reload your brush a few times and you'll notice that the higher details are being picked out more and more as you work.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

The main issue with the Sarissa designs is that none of them really fit any game system I play. They are too modern for Fantasy and too old for 40k, and not the right scale for Battletech. The Infinity line might work better for sci-fi but they don't have any actual pictures at all of it and it doesn't fit in with the general feel of 40k.
    Well they were just the first maker to pop into my head, largely because I'm currently working on Old West stuff right now and their Old West range is splendid (especially with interior detail).

At least the farm mostly fits a fantasy setting. I think the windmill looks a lot better then the buildings, the bridges are reasonable. Bridges can be used with all the systems too. Pricing seems fairly similar, with the Sarissa site needing currency conversion and the Kickstarter not having building broke down by price, but guesstimating it puts a 2 story building at about $25 from both places.
    The big saving grace for Sarissa (that probably not many people care about) is incredibly cheap prices for shipping, most notably to Australia compared to what other companies charge to ship terrain. It's related to the flatpack MDF approach, but eh. I'll also contend that Sarissa's terrain looks better mainly because laser cut MDF is better for old west terrain than rustic medieval farmhouses.

<snip>
    Not if you don't want Old West terrain, that seems to be all I've got bookmarked
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"