New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Update on my Land Raider:

I've made a ton of progress. The main body of the tank itself is finally completed, and I've begun attaching the treads.

Spoiler
    Show

I've used some card and green stuff to make the treads fit with the body of the tank:

Spoiler
    Show

The sides are made of foam sheets, and will probably be either covered in paper or sealed with a coating of glue to make them paintable.

Spoiler
    Show

The next part of the project is finishing the attachment of the treads, and also filling any gaps, before moving on to the armor on the top and sides.

Also, I've started converting a model for my counts-as Belial:
    Spoiler
    Show

His sword will be painted so it looks like it's partially made of and emitting lightning:

I still haven't added much detail, and I need to made the back cape and a banner-ish thing for his back. I'm also going to be adding a guard to the front of his sword's pommel, to fix the centering issue.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Very, very nice Forrestfire!
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, finally getting around to painting my Space Wolves again. First Test model is ready for transfers and Basing, while the second is ready for me to learn how to do highlights and shading.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Test Model1

Test Model2

Speaking of shading and highlighting... Any advice in that regard?
    Last edited by Squark; 2013-02-14 at 09:29 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Speaking of shading and highlighting... Any advice in that regard?
    Use very thin paint and you use your brush to push the paint where you want it to go. For shading this means pushing it into the recesses and areas where you want it to be darker. For highlights it means pushing it into the brighter areas.

There are a number of websites and youtube videos on the subject.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

5. - Top - End - #1235

Just to prove that I still paint, here's another one.

This is for a Champion's game I'm going to start playing this Thursday- my Character is modeled after a Biotic from Mass Effect, so I decided to paint up someone who looks like they're from ME. I didn't do any of the conversions I had planned- no time to do them- so I just added a barrel to the gun of this Reaper Nova soldier (Chronoscope) and painted him up.

I took some artistic liberties with the armor stripe- it's supposed to be on the right arm according to ME lore, but I put it on the left to balance out the details of the figure, since the gun would have obscured it from the front. He's just a TT piece, but I'm happy with him.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Just to prove that I still paint, here's another one.

This is for a Champion's game I'm going to start playing this Thursday- my Character is modeled after a Biotic from Mass Effect, so I decided to paint up someone who looks like they're from ME. I didn't do any of the conversions I had planned- no time to do them- so I just added a barrel to the gun of this Reaper Nova soldier (Chronoscope) and painted him up.

I took some artistic liberties with the armor stripe- it's supposed to be on the right arm according to ME lore, but I put it on the left to balance out the details of the figure, since the gun would have obscured it from the front. He's just a TT piece, but I'm happy with him.

Had to quote the post to get the link, took me to a page that said the domain name had expired yesterday (unless the date was by US time, in which case it was saying today - 5th of March 2013 in any case).
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2013-03-06 at 08:02 AM.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

7. - Top - End - #1237

Thanks- had an issue with my host that has been worked out.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

That is quite magnificent, CreganTur. Not that that's any surprise.

...so! I know I haven't posted 'round these parts for ages and ages now, and I greatly regret that; I shall see to that changing again. Besides, I have so many models to show off gently ask for criticism of show off, it's just about time.

Not this time though; this time, I'm coming for advice!
    Specifically, I've very recently picked up this fun little tabletop called Malifaux, and I'm happily painting the two crews I got for it... and then I got to this one cheerful little fellow going by the adorable name of Lord Chompy Bits that I didn't quite have a good idea for a colour scheme for, so I googled for pictures of how other people had painted him in search of inspiration. And I stumbled onto basically the perfect rendition of him, and now I'm wondering if I might be able to replicate it.

Since I've gotten quite a bit better about things that used to be my main weakness, like shadowing and highlighting (or, at least, I like to tell myself that ), I think I should be able to pull off the execution - maybe not quite as perfectly, but well enough - except I'm not certain which paints to use to get those colours and this look. I think I know how to do this1, but, I figured maybe I should do the safer thing and ask what you all think on how to best pull this off, before I go messing around.

1 The way I'd go about this would be something like:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paint with dark purple, highlight with flesh colour, going for a blending, wash with purple, highlight with flesh colour again.

And while I'm at it, I've been using considerably more scenic bases for those minis thus far, with lots of stones and grass and water effects, and for him specifically I was thinking of doing something special and painting the rocks and dirt (which pretty much have to be grey and brown respectively, for consistency with what I've done with the other models of this crew) around him as if they were being shone on by a purple glow emitting from him. I don't think I've ever painted anything like that. Now, painting the ground around him purple and gradually blending over to regular colours would be easy enough, but I don't think that would look natural. A glow that wasn't blindingly bright wouldn't switch everything around to full-blown purple after all, it would just tinge the colours. A simple purple wash instead would exactly accomplish the tinge-the-colours-part, but would also darken things, instead of brightening them up. So, I'm not quite sure how to do this, either. Any suggestions? The only idea I've had would be to paint the dirt and rocks around him in brighter renditions of their regular colours and then to use a purple wash, but that sounds like getting the colours just right would still be enormously difficult, so if there was an easier way that was I was missing (not unlikely!), I'd rather hear it.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I decided to try my hand at blending for the cape of one of my converted Deathwing Knights for my successor chapter.

I think it turned out pretty well, for a first time. I'll probably do all the capes like this.

Spoiler
    Show

The rest of the model is still WiP:

And my scratchbuilt shield:

Also, here are some pics of one of my scratchbuilt thunder hammers:
    Spoiler
    Show

And lava bases (work in progress)

EDIT: Wow, these images are fairly big. Apologies if they stretch people's screens when they open the spoilers. Don't know why photobucket didn't resize them

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

*pokes thread* I'd really appreciate some advice on the questions I brought up two posts above. Otherwise, I guess, I'll just have to go ahead on my own today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I think it turned out pretty well, for a first time. I'll probably do all the capes like this.
    It did indeed! I think it probably looks better than the blending on my Wood Elves, and I'm rather proud of my Wood Elves.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    *pokes thread* I'd really appreciate some advice on the questions I brought up two posts above. Otherwise, I guess, I'll just have to go ahead on my own today or tomorrow.
    Sorry if this is too late - I've been busy lately.

Personally, the picture makes the highlights look more pinkish than fleshy to me. I might suggest a mix of pink and flesh, or the base purple and flesh (getting progressively fleshier as the highlight increases). I generally prefer paints to ink when there are no recesses to go into, since I feel like it gives a more solid and even color, but that's just me.

---

Hmm... I've just realized I've neglected to post any pictures of my Lizardmen for probably over a year now. This will be rectified as soon as I finish up my second Stegadon.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    Sorry if this is too late - I've been busy lately.
    Not too late yet at all. Ended up painting other models first, partially because of hopes somebody might end up responding after all, but mostly because it's a rather daunting model to take on.

Personally, the picture makes the highlights look more pinkish than fleshy to me.
    Huh. Definitely looks fleshy on my end. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time we see things slightly differently - must be our monitor settings or something.

I might suggest a mix of pink and flesh, or the base purple and flesh (getting progressively fleshier as the highlight increases). I generally prefer paints to ink when there are no recesses to go into, since I feel like it gives a more solid and even color, but that's just me.
    There's actually plenty of recesses here - all those various folds are part of the model, after all. Nonetheless, you may well be right - paints might still be preferable to inks here.

Thanks!

Hmm... I've just realized I've neglected to post any pictures of my Lizardmen for probably over a year now. This will be rectified as soon as I finish up my second Stegadon.
    Yes please. Wanna see.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground

So, new Tau models. Does anyone have a size comparison between the Riptide Battlesuit and a Dreadknight?
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    So, new Tau models. Does anyone have a size comparison between the Riptide Battlesuit and a Dreadknight?
    My Google skills were unable to find one. I have found one to a Dreadnought, though:
    Spoiler
    Show

So take this, compare a Dreadknight to a Dreadnought, and you should have some idea, I hope. Sorry I cannot provide anything better.

EDIT: Here's a picture comparing it to a Tyranid Mawloc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://scatterdie.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Riptide-pic.jpg

There's also a post on Warseer claiming that it's "about 6-6.5" compared to the Dreadknight's 4.5-5" ".
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2013-04-12 at 05:04 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #1245

It shouldn't be too hard to eyeball a rough-guess, though - I think they're both on the same sized base.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

I felt like I'd share some pictures of my scratchbuilt Dakkajet. I'm not going to get to paint it until a week after finals, but I'm going to learn to airbrush on it

Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show

Right now, all I need to work on is the rim of the canopy. Sorry for the crappy pictures, the size and shinyness of it made photographing it difficult.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know Techmarines haven't been in Command Squads since 3rd Ed. I also know that Techmarines can't take Terminator Armour anymore, but here's one anyway for Lysander's retinue, since, after playing the Deathwatch RPG for so long, it annoys me that any 'important' mission group wouldn't have a Techmarine (or an Apothecary) on hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Power Fist and Storm Bolter is totally legal. The paint job is just weird for some people who don't know what I've done.

Yellow is my jam, yo!

Spoiler
    Show

No airbrush. Yellow is easy when you know how.

Librarian-sans-backpack.

Spoiler
    Show

Hey Librarian tabards are supposed to be yellow (for every Chapter)! It's not my fault my Chapter's colour is the best colour!
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Colossus in the Playground

Apparently, the internet is already full of pictures of people building their own Aegis for their Eldar, but here's mine.

Spoiler
    Show

And since that last picture made me unsure of whether I had ever shown them off, here's my tank fleet (with bad lighting that makes it impossible to see the runes. Oh well).

Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #1249

Cower, weak man-things, for the Warlock Eldan has returned from his laboratories with a new engine of destruction, the warp cannon!

Now, our volunteers are still in training...
    *Zap! Quieeek!*
    I mean, we are still looking for volunteers, but at least we can shoot and drive...
    *Crash! Boi-oi-oi-oing!"
    I mean, at least we can shoot it as planned!

Or in other words, I'm still painting the machinery for the lower half and the crew members, but I just wanted to show this off.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Firbolg in the Playground

That looks wonderfully doom-y!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Miniature Painting Contest

Open to Wargamers and painters of all types of miniatures

July 13th at HobbyTown USA from 10 am to 2 pm
    3717 Battleground Ave, Greensboro, NC 27410
    Enter at the store or call 336-373-1021

Judged by Randy Shea (Cregan Tur)- award winning painter and Review Editor for WAMP and Portal magazine (http://www.wampforum.com)

$5 flat entery fee- this covers as many entries as you wish to bring for all categories

Categories:
    Army: for the best painted army from any wargame- entry must consist of at least 10 miniatures
    Squad: consists of at least 5 miniatures; can be a wargame squad or PC characters from your RPG
    Open: for all individual figures or dioramas consisting of any number of figures not entered in another category

Prizes:
    Grand Prize: Miniature Mentor Complete Guide to Miniature Painting 2DVD set
    1st: $25 HobbyTown gift card
    2nd: $15 HobbyTown gift card
    3rd: $10 HobbyTown gift card
    Other prizes may be available depending on the number of participants

The firs 10 people to sign up (and bring their entries on the day of the contest) will receive a free pack of 10 25mm Broken Asphalt bases from Stone Tower Miniatures

Schedule:
    10 am – 12 pm: registration and entry setup
    12 pm – judging begins
    1 pm – awards
    2 pm – show ends, but feel free to stick around and chat!

22. - Top - End - #1252

smile Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

Starting up a Vampire Counts army
    This is what I've painted so far, hope you like them

White King:
    Spoiler
    Show

Necromancer:
    Spoiler
    Show

And some skeletons to test the color scheme:
    Spoiler
    Show

a look at things to come, I have a lot of painting ahead of me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by gabado; 2013-06-19 at 02:37 PM.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    There's also a post on Warseer claiming that it's "about 6-6.5" compared to the Dreadknight's 4.5-5" ".
    This is roughly correct, depending on their poses, by the looks of it.

24. - Top - End - #1254

ElfRangerGuy

Very nice skaven-thing, Eldan. Very skavenlike, too.

gabado, have you thought of applying a (very thinned) flesh/sepia wash over the bone? As it is, it looks TOO white. If that's your goal, fine; but I'd say they'd look more "realistic" with the wash. They look very nice anyways.

"Requested" by Winterwind, some pics of my scratch build treeman for my wood elf army.

For those who say size doesn't matter: you are lying!

Made from sticks. Maybe he will join the Order...
    Last edited by Elhann; 2013-06-20 at 05:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255

I like him a lot. The face alone is brilliant.

I finished hte crew and instrumentation for my Warplightning Cannon now. I'll try and produce some pictures with proper lighting later.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

I'm wondering, how would I make the centre section of the bridge (with the arch and the bits pointing out to the side)? I've had a brilliant idea to set up my board to be on that bridge section, on Holy Terra itself. Because it's awesome.

27. - Top - End - #1257

Do you have a bigger picture? And I think you could do something pretty basic with plastic card, depending on how much detail you want.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Foam board cut into shape and covered in plasticard and cities of death bits for details?

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    Starting up a Vampire Counts army
    This is what I've painted so far, hope you like them
    Quite a lot, in fact!

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    "Requested" by Winterwind, some pics of my scratch build treeman for my wood elf army.
    And I'm glad I did, he's amazing.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Do you have a bigger picture? And I think you could do something pretty basic with plastic card, depending on how much detail you want.
    158-9 of the big rulebook has it under a fold-out. I did think of plasticard, but I'm going for something a bit higher standard than that.