New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

My Reaper Miniatures kickstarter things finally arrived. The sculpts are nice but the material is a bit weird. I also now have a ton of minis and I can't decide what to use them for.

Probably going to use Cthulhu as a Daemon something or other for WH40k and the various dragons for Warhammer FB (alongside some of the mages). No idae what to do with the rest of them though. I may have gone a bit overboard.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just cracked open the High Elf battalion box I purchased back in 2008, cause I wanted to go back to painting miniature.

Thing is, I discovered that I had 6 Silver Helm horses and 2 Knight of the Realm horses, for 8 Silver Helm models.

What should I do? I obviously don't have the original receipt. The shop I bought it closed down years ago. Should I bother with only 6 Silver Helm? can I trade the 2 horse models for Silver Helm horses?

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I just cracked open the High Elf battalion box I purchased back in 2008, cause I wanted to go back to painting miniature.

Thing is, I discovered that I had 6 Silver Helm horses and 2 Knight of the Realm horses, for 8 Silver Helm models.

What should I do? I obviously don't have the original receipt. The shop I bought it closed down years ago. Should I bother with only 6 Silver Helm? can I trade the 2 horse models for Silver Helm horses?
    If you get another set of them, you can use the KotR horses for unit champions.

4. - Top - End - #1324

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    If you get another set of them, you can use the KotR horses for unit champions.
    But the horse heads (SH) don't fit the bodies (KotR) :( They are too small.

Plus, the style of the KotR horse bodies does not fit at all

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    But the horse heads (SH) don't fit the bodies (KotR) :( They are too small.

Plus, the style of the KotR horse bodies does not fit at all
    Oh, I thought you had the full horses for the KotRs.

Uh... No ideas from me, sorry.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Colossus in the Playground

There's a few pages on the net that sell single Bits from various sprues. Perhaps one of them has the right kind of horse.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #1327

This is my Marbo conversion, painting finished.

It's also my entry in the local shop's painting contest, and yes, I am that shameless.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #1328

All right. My first reaction is always to have the primary color of my shields to be metallic (Bronze, in this set's case). However, is it a bad idea? Is it better to have colored shields instead? Did they painted their shields at the time, or they were metallic colored?

I wanted to do Bronze + Purple; some sort of Praetorian Guard coloring High Elf.

Edit: regarding priming. I was considering using a healthy mix of black and white primer. For soldiers, materiel, etc... I was considering using black primer. But for horses, banners and shield, white primer?
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2013-09-24 at 09:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1329

If by "at the time" you mean "in the historical Middle Ages," then shields were typically made of wood and either painted or covered in a colored cloth.

The rules of heraldry are fairly complex in detail, but the major rule of coloration is that metals and colors are different, and that two colors must never border each other in a field, nor two metals. In the heraldic coloring system white substitutes for silver and yellow for gold, so you could have a two-colored shield that was, say, green and yellow (gold), but not green and blue or yellow and white. If you really want green and blue (or any other two colors, be it red, black, purple, etc.) they must be separated by a stripe of one of the metals. Single colored fields can be whatever you want, but if there's a charge on the shield (a design, like a rose or lion or whatever) it must be a color if the field is a metal or a metal if the field is a color.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

10. - Top - End - #1330

Err...

I'll assume painted wooden shields, then. Instead of metal (bronze) shields.

I just started clearing the Repeating Ballista's model. I have to admit: I picked the High Elves only because of this little beauty. ITS SO AWESOME

11. - Top - End - #1331

Go find yourself a large sheet of steel that's heavy gauge enough to not dent when hit with a hammer, then strap it to your arm. Then tell me how long you think you could hold it up in position to cover your head and body if your life depended on it. Then make that sheet out of bronze (which is much heavier) and try it again.

12. - Top - End - #1332

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Go find yourself a large sheet of steel that's heavy gauge enough to not dent when hit with a hammer, then strap it to your arm. Then tell me how long you think you could hold it up in position to cover your head and body if your life depended on it. Then make that sheet out of bronze (which is much heavier) and try it again.
    All right! All right! Point taken!

plus, they are freakkin' ELVES. No way they'll be able to hold shields heavier than aluminum

13. - Top - End - #1333

Bronze and purple still works. Gilding was a thing, as was metallic paints. It's your color scheme; go nuts. I was just answering the historical question, not telling you that you can't do what you want in a fantasy game.

Edit: Does anyone know what this is even supposed to be? I can't figure it out, and it's running away with the painting contest.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2013-09-24 at 09:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334

Any dwarven model with a beer barrel?

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Bronze and purple still works. Gilding was a thing, as was metallic paints. It's your color scheme; go nuts. I was just answering the historical question, not telling you that you can't do what you want in a fantasy game.

Edit: Does anyone know what this is even supposed to be? I can't figure it out, and it's running away with the painting contest.
    Looks like it was answered in the comments.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

16. - Top - End - #1336

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    Looks like it was answered in the comments.
    After I asked, yes. It's an interesting piece, to be sure, but clearly the entrant has a very efficient vote-gathering mechanism.

17. - Top - End - #1337

I am currently struggling over which purple to select for my purple/bronze High Elven Praetorian Guard. I wish my girlfriend was there; she has a knack for colors.

I am down to a selection between Hexed Lichen or Royal Purple. For the moment, I lean toward Hexed Lichen for the only reason that it's brighter, which will probably transpire well with my black primer. Plus, a brighter main color wouldn't be a bad way to go.

I could use Royal Purple as a secondary color for certain units that would have their color scheme reversed? Or maybe use Royal Purple on the models with white primer?

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Barbarian in the Playground

You're over thinking it.

Just grab a test model and start painting. If it looks good to you, then that's all that matters. You can always strip and restart if you don't like the end result.

Sometimes trying things out, stepping out and attempting, is worth more than all the advice in the world.
    Last edited by CreganTur; 2013-09-26 at 12:43 PM.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

19. - Top - End - #1339

I actually wrote that after making my test models, and I was still struggling in my decision.

I picked Hexed Lichen in the end, 'cause it mixes better with Tinny Tin

20. - Top - End - #1340

So I finally got my grubby mitts on a Heldrake for my Black Legion force, and after reading through the assembly guidelines I feel completely overwhelmed at the prospect of putting this thing together.

What I'd like to know is whether there is any sort of preparation I should do to the model while it's on the sprue? I've heard somewhere that people recommend you wash the sprues before you start working on them. Also, should I put the model together before priming it? Or should I prime each bit separately, or maybe even assemble some modules (wings, body, head etc.) and then prime?

Hopefully you guys can give me a bit of advice as to how I should proceed with this so I won't ruin my precious drake? :)

EDIT: I also suspect it might be a good idea to magnetize the thing, so I can pack it down without fear or breaking/bending the wings/head. What sort of magnets are usually used for this, and where can I get my hands on some of them?
    Last edited by Darwin; 2013-10-02 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

21. - Top - End - #1341

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    What I'd like to know is whether there is any sort of preparation I should do to the model while it's on the sprue? I've heard somewhere that people recommend you wash the sprues before you start working on them.
    You could go ahead and give them a scrub in soap and water to clean off release agents.

Also, should I put the model together before priming it? Or should I prime each bit separately, or maybe even assemble some modules (wings, body, head etc.) and then prime?
    At least do partial assembly before priming. How much you assemble depends on how you work and the size of the model. If you are going to magnetize the wings, for example, then I would assemble the entire body, but leave the wings off and prime all of that.

Hopefully you guys can give me a bit of advice as to how I should proceed with this so I won't ruin my precious drake? :)

EDIT: I also suspect it might be a good idea to magnetize the thing, so I can pack it down without fear or breaking/bending the wings/head. What sort of magnets are usually used for this, and where can I get my hands on some of them?
    You want rare earth magnets. There are a lot of different sizes available, so measure the area you're working with and pick an appropriate size.

22. - Top - End - #1342

I finished an archer squad and have done a Spearman prototype for my High Elf. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: crap, I believe I forgot to add the Archer Prototype to the full-squad lineupe
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2013-10-08 at 02:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Colossus in the Playground

I like the colour scheme, but the cloth looks a bit flat. Some highlighting or shading, maybe?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #1344

I already added some purple wash to the cloth, but I can add some more..

I do have an idea regarding highlights. I'll see how it can turn out. But thanks for the comments

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    So I finally got my grubby mitts on a Heldrake for my Black Legion force, and after reading through the assembly guidelines I feel completely overwhelmed at the prospect of putting this thing together.

What I'd like to know is whether there is any sort of preparation I should do to the model while it's on the sprue? I've heard somewhere that people recommend you wash the sprues before you start working on them. Also, should I put the model together before priming it? Or should I prime each bit separately, or maybe even assemble some modules (wings, body, head etc.) and then prime?

Having just painted my Heldrake while assembled, I'd recommend painting the wings separately. Also, fully assembled and stuck together (like mine is) it's a pain to transport due to its size. Especially if you're planning on taking it from Birmingham to south Wales and back in a week's time.
    i watched your heart turn black.

26. - Top - End - #1346

ElfRangerGuy

Cikomyr, it is a nice color scheme, but I find it too dark. I would highlight the armour, and not just the clothing. Also, it needs higlighting more than it needs shading, IMHO.

Also, since you're using a dark tone for the armour and robes, I'd go with a much brighter tone for your longbows, quivers and spears. Instead of dark brown, try with a light grey or bone tone.

So, personal comment: Looks nice, but it is too dark (especially for high elves. Unless it is a host from Nagarythe ) Looking forward to seeing the next batch.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Quote Originally Posted by Elhann View Post
    Cikomyr, it is a nice color scheme, but I find it too dark. I would highlight the armour, and not just the clothing. Also, it needs higlighting more than it needs shading, IMHO.

Also, since you're using a dark tone for the armour and robes, I'd go with a much brighter tone for your longbows, quivers and spears. Instead of dark brown, try with a light grey or bone tone.

So, personal comment: Looks nice, but it is too dark (especially for high elves. Unless it is a host from Nagarythe ) Looking forward to seeing the next batch.
    I believe my own bias regarding the Elves have uncounsciously caught up with me If you read the Generic Warhammer Roleplay thread, you will see I recently GMed a game where the Sea Elves of Marienburg were slowly exterminating the city. Ultimately, they were influenced by the Dark Elves, but they only played on the already-present sentiments of superiority, xenophoby and self-preservation within the elves.

Therefore, the Sea Elves (and their High Elves allies) slowly but surely became a dangerous regime encompassing aspects of the East Indian Company, the American Occupation of Iraq and the Guestapo. The point was to show how even the so-called "pure" beings can be corrupted with the more natural and bests of intention. the Elf-Quarters had became akin to Baghdad's Green Zone. The Elves were forcing a "Rule of 50" over Marienburg; every killing of an elf would be retributed by the death of 50 humans. Etc.. etc...

So... slightly dark and creepy High Elves might be a theme I'm comfortable with, and I accidently recreated it

It's no accident all my elves are blond. The officer has black gloves.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Troll in the Playground

I quite like the way you've done the high elves, but then I favour dark colour schemes myself. I have to agree with the others that the cloth looks a touch flat but I think you've got the rest of the colour-scheme looking good.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally got around to painting my first Medusa for my pre-heresy Deathguard army. It was my first time doing battle damage and weathering to a tank. I can't help but feel like I went overboard though.

The staining near the bottom is black because it's supposed to be a somewhat volcanic planet. Could I have some feedback?

Spoiler
    Show

Apologies for the bad pictures.

30. - Top - End - #1350

It's a very dirty tank- looks good.