New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Warhammer Models Thread III: A Brush With Death

All right. New try without the flash this time.

Spoiler
    Show

and now, for something totally different, here's an Alchemist I also painted yesterday. I'm rather happy with the vial's corks colour choice, as well as all the vials.

Also like the idea that the Alchemist's dagger made of silver can also be used as a sample/mixing stick since it doesn't interact with his mixtures. Also doubles as a poisoned/acid weapon

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice clean work on those.

Did you use Quick Shade?
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, there's some really awesome stuff in this thread, I'd almost feel embarrassed to post my own attempts.

A buddy and me bought the Island of Blood set together, and we've just started painting. I picked Skaven while he's painting up the High Elves. Still got a lot to learn, but i'm enjoying it quite a bit and I'm pretty satisfied with my first results.

Spoiler: Skaven Clanrats
    Show

Spoiler: High Elves
    Show

Spoiler: Skaven vs High Elves
    Show
    Last edited by Lucid; 2014-02-10 at 12:42 PM.
    Statistics show that 42% of people are annoyed by fake statistics in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by [S]Faust[/S]Eric by Terry Pratchet
    “Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.” ~Rincewind

4. - Top - End - #1444

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post

Did you use Quick Shade?
    What's Quick Shade?

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Orc in the Playground

So I want to have something I can proxy as an Avenger Strike Fighter, without actually paying the exorbitant price. My thought is to take a 1:72 A-10 model, paint it in Soritas colors for a lark(in preparation for eventually having a Sisters army). So I just want to know, what are some things I should know about those hobby and military models? Obviously the paint's going to be compatible, since it's just plastic, but is there anything else that would be different?
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2014-02-21 at 02:09 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

6. - Top - End - #1446

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    What's Quick Shade?
    Again, can I have an answer to that question so I may give my own answer?

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Again, can I have an answer to that question so I may give my own answer?
    They are similar to GW's washes, but instead of painting it on, you just dip the entire mini into a pot of it.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-02-21 at 07:18 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #1448

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post

Did you use Quick Shade?
    Thanks Eldan for the reply!

Cregan; nah, I just used GW's basic shades. But the brown one meshed so well with the brown of my model, it really shines. Now sure if I like it or not. I may add a layer of mat eventually.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

A friend of mine managed to tempt me into starting a Necromunda gang. I had a lot of minis from the Reaper Miniatures kickstarter around, so I decided why not. He mentioned that the some-what fantasy-ish theme wouldn't really be a bad thing so I went for it.

I've managed to paint a few so far (one still has an unpainted base) so I thought I'd ask for some feedback. I realize I may have gone a bit overboard with the blood spatters, but I haven't had a chance to play with the GW blood effect thing before.

Ganger with a shotgun and knife:
    Spoiler
    Show

Heavy with a Heavy Stubber, Laspistol and Bludgeon:
    Spoiler
    Show

They may be a tad shiny since I had my desktop lamp pointing straight down at them as I took the pictures on my potato-phone.

10. - Top - End - #1450

You Heavy makes me think of Kratos.

The blood/red tattoos are nice

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So I'm not a fantastic painter, and Necrons obviously aren't the hardest things in the world to paint, but I think my Annihilation Barge turned out pretty good and I wanted to show it off a bit

Spoiler
    Show

Criticism welcome obviously, I'm still learning.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

Decided to try some lizardfolk(after about a two year break from painting) a few days ago...
    But I'm having issues with assembling them.
    They came with slotted bases.. But the slat is spread out along both feet, and one leg needs to be attached to the main body.
    I can either get both halves of the slat to line up... Or I can get the leg to line up with the body.
    Is this caused by a defective frame, or am I just missing something?

*should it matter, the set is the (I think, not 100% sure on the year) 2001 plastic saurus warriors
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #1453

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Decided to try some lizardfolk(after about a two year break from painting) a few days ago...
    But I'm having issues with assembling them.
    They came with slotted bases.. But the slat is spread out along both feet, and one leg needs to be attached to the main body.
    I can either get both halves of the slat to line up... Or I can get the leg to line up with the body.
    Is this caused by a defective frame, or am I just missing something?

*should it matter, the set is the (I think, not 100% sure on the year) 2001 plastic saurus warriors
    I'm not familiar with these models, but are you sure they're not posed to be standing only on one foot (to look like they're in motion)? Attach the leg to the body and then the other foot does not get attached to the tab.

Pro-tip: if the fit is loose when putting the tab in the base's slot, put a small piece of masking tape over the slot and then push in the tab.

14. - Top - End - #1454

So, I've been kicking this idea around for a while now: I like the idea of Imperial Knights, but I don't play Imperial armies. I do, however, play Orks...you may be able to guess where this is going.

I am seriously considering picking up a few Knights and looting the hell out of them (superficially similar to this guy's Looted Gundam, but way beefier) to make them their own army of Orksideon Knights.......no, Freechoppas. That sounds better. Anyways, point is, giant orky models that look awesome, covered in glyphs and blast marks and grots and bloodspatter. Anyone have any recommendations for how I might more efficiently go about this? Has anyone here actually built a Knigh-tan yet, and if so, can you give me any ideas as to how it takes to glue and/or paint? Are the models nice and simple to build like a well cast Rhino, or fiddly and frustrating like my Tomb Kings? I don't know how soon I'll actually be able to clear space on my To-Do List to add "build a Freechoppa Knight Titan" to it, but it's definitely going on there at some point.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2014-04-01 at 01:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

What would be the best way to go about doing an Ork Warboss on a bike conversion, other than buying the one off Forgeworld?

16. - Top - End - #1456

Khanjira's Rampage:

Khanjira's a masterful mini and deserves a fitting base, which is why I've taken on a miniature project of epic proportions.
    The idea is to have Khanjira *rampaging through a section of a fantasy town. The base he came with was the starting point of my design as I imagined that the rubble-strewn section could be underwater. From there I had the idea of creating a river scene with the great beast crashing through part of a shop on the corner of a bridge that will span the water.
    The first step was creating the bridge.

This design provides me with the 3 main components I wanted: the bridge, the river basin, and the store area.
    The store is going to be made up of a basement and store on the main floor and I'm toying with the idea of creating a second story with a bedroom to maximize the monster's carnage. I also like the idea of a second story because I have a design in my head of something falling from the roof and having a spellcaster miniature below using a spell to deflect the object (but this will come much later. People will be added after the set is constructed).

The beginning of the store's basement started with design. I wanted a false brick wall to be constructed that hides a small area where a treasure chest was stored- the storekeep wanted to keep something tucked away for a rainy day. This little area also gives me my first opportunity to add some wildlife with some rats. The proper portion of the basement will contain boxes, crates, barrels, and the rubble from the just collapsed wall. Also some water will spill in through the opening.
    As I looked more closely at the basement area I realized that the rubble that was already part of Khanjira's base was just getting in the way of what I wanted to do, so I pulled out my trusty EDC and cut it out (since none of my other hobby knives could do the kind of clean and flush cutting I needed).
    This left me with a rather strange looking gap in the wall since that portion of the miniature's base was hollow. After quickly deciding I didn't want to sculpt replacement stone I decided to sculpt up a bookcase. I also found a treasure chest that looked a but rusty and worn down- it was from an old Rakham set that was a couple of treasure chests with loot inserts. My Reaper Bones rats also looked like they'd be perfect for this job. I slapped in a piece of plasticard as a placeholder for the brisk wall and reviewed my design.

Once I got everything settled where I wanted it I sculpted the brick wall, cut the bases from the rats, and glued everything in place.

Probably the most important decision I made here was to keep the store basement modular. I sculpted the tile floor over a thin piece of plasticard that I rough-fitted into the diorama. It won't get glued in place until after it's all been painted and is ready to be permanently put in place. This means that I'll need to carefully design this so the actual shop and possible second story can easily be built onto this after it's been permanently affixed.

I haven't finished the set dressing, but it was too late to keep going so I did a little more design before turning in for the night.
    The river section of the base is going to be pretty simple.

I want to fill in the area with dirt and rocks that have a nice, natural movement to them to simulate being built up and eroded by currents. I also need to put in some nice trash as this river runs through a city, so it will be full of junk.
    The hardest part of this entire project is going to be putting in the water. I'll need to find a nice way to create a seal around the base so I can pour in what I want to use.

17. - Top - End - #1457

Wow, that's amazeballs, dude. Thanks for reviving the thread, as I had a modeling question. Where is the best place to buy bits from? I need something close to around 80 swords and pistols for my grenadiers.

18. - Top - End - #1458

Well as long as this thread's back up...

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    @ Renegade - great army so far, look forward to seeing more.
    Long delayed, but sure. These were taken a little over a year ago.

Spoiler: The Grand Review of the Army, part 2
    Show

I used my Stormblade as an entry in a large mini painting contest since then, so here's how it looks now that it's not just primer:

Spoiler: Battlefield Suppression Unit
    Show

I don't have any shots from the contest itself, and took these just now in the best lighting I could get on short notice, so apologies for that.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

19. - Top - End - #1459

My daughter thought my project needed more dragons.

After a lot of design consdierations I finally settled on what I wanted the store to look like. At first I was going to sculpt the entire thing, but then I remembered that I had a gothc building kit I had gotten some years ago that was actually perfect for what I wanted to do. Assembling the walls was easy, but distressing them to look as if a giant monster just put his foot through the wall took a lot of work... and its' not done yet.

You can't tell from the pictures, but the section with the door's floor has been sculpted to look like parquet flooring. The other section has a more intricate flooring design. They'll show up better when I get around to painting.

I'm keepign with the modular design so that it will be easier for me to paint everything. Once I get all the components completed I'll permanently affix everything.

Each level of the store is wider than the one below it. It's a design decision I made with the idea of encouraging people to look closer at the scene.

Here I'm using Khanjira to measure his impact point and plan out the damage to the floor.

I spent an evening creating books for the bookshelf and last night completed them and glued them in place.

Within a diorama I love the idea of capturing a moment in time. For me this means showing items frozen in a moment, which is what I did to capture these books as they tumble from the bookshelf, the top of which has been broken by one of khanjira's claws. There will be a few more books on the floor, but I have to finish populating the basement with clutter before I glue them down.

The impact point lines up perfectly with the broken bookshelf. YOu can also see the post I added to the sculpted stone wall that the store walls connect to. I'll be comign back with a little milliput to sculpt up around it.

Monster foot breaking the parquet floor.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alright. I'll bite.

Here's some Skitarii Rangers I painted.

Spoiler: Skitarii Rangers
    Show

I discovered that I am a huge fan of the new GW glaze paints for doing lights and glows and such.

The blue glow from their eyes is simply white paint with blue glaze over it.

There's a light on the back of the backpack which is green glaze. And there's a gauge on the back of the backpack with red glaze. They create a very nice glowing light effect, and are very easy to use.

21. - Top - End - #1461

Last night I settled on a few of the miniatures that will populate this scene.

02873 - This guy's going to be in the 2nd story of the store pointing out the window at Khanjira. I picked him due to the dynamic pose and the fact that he's clutching that bottle. I'm going to create a display table that will have some other bottles and things so it looks like he had just picked up a potion he wanted when someone rudely put their foot through the wall.

03354 - This lady perfectly fits something I've been wanting to do ever since I came up with the idea for this diorama. She will be on the street in from of the store. I'm going to create a magical forcefield effect that will extend from her outstretched hand and a large stone or something falling from the roof of the store will be impacting it. Some poor innocent soul will be lying on the street under her protective spell.

03515 - this one is going to require a lot of conversion. The idea is that I want her to be falling into the water. I'll be removing the swords and sculpting her hands open. Will need to adjust her pose and resculpt the fluttering fabric so it has the directionality I want.

77053 - this zombie will require the most conversion, but will be the best character in the piece. I'm going to sculpt normal clothes on him to hide the undeadness. His pose is perfect for the role he's going to play. He'll be standing with his back to the door on the 1st floor of the shop, staring at Khanjira's foot in pure terror. Will probably paint an obvious wet spot on his pants ;)

Still need a lot more people, but this is a good start.

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking of buying a Caestus from Forge World. Anyone worked with Resin before? Any tips? The Caestus is me starting with something easier than one of the forgeworld knights, but if I need something even more simple first then so be it.

I'm also thinking of taking the chance to buy a new set of tools - clippers, knife, file, etc. Can anyone point me at a better set than Games Workshop?

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a Caestus from Forge World. Anyone worked with Resin before? Any tips? The Caestus is me starting with something easier than one of the forgeworld knights, but if I need something even more simple first then so be it.

I'm also thinking of taking the chance to buy a new set of tools - clippers, knife, file, etc. Can anyone point me at a better set than Games Workshop?
    Make sure you clean it up well. There's a pretty decent chance that part of the kit will be warped, but this can be resolved usually by soaking it in hot water and bending it back into shape. Make sure all the parts are there and none of them are miscast before you start putting it together. A decent file, saw, and knife is essential. I got a hobby knife from Hobbycraft, and I got an Exacto razor saw from Amazon.

I've only put together one forgeworld kit, a Typhon, which went together pretty easily, apart from the tracks. They were a pain.
    i watched your heart turn black.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Colossus in the Playground

I only have one Forgeworld model, one of their smaller monsters and didn't have much problem with it. I didn't even have to clean up much in the way of flash and therew was no warping. That said, definitely get a file. Resin is harder than plastic, so you need better tools. It's also quite prone to snapping on occasion.

From what I've heard, you also nead to clean the models with soap before painting them. I've done it, and i have no idea what would happen if you didn't. From what the internet tells me, the colour might not stick, even base coat spray.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #1465

I have a few Forge World models. Apart from them accidentally shipping the wrong cockpit part with my Vulture the first time, I've never had any major trouble with them (except the Taurus being spindly, but that's inherent in the model), but I don't have any specific advice for the assault ram. You probably want to read their Working With Resin Guide, which is the top thing on their downloads page.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2015-11-29 at 10:58 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

26. - Top - End - #1466

Got a bit more done, but the holidays took a lot of my time and attention so it's not as much as some might expect.

Most of my effort has gone into the second story of the shop. I had bee considering a number of different things I could do with it but settled on this.

There are a couple of display tables with different goods on them. I needed something to have a selection of containers since the miniature going here is clutching a potion. I decided on adding the carpet because the wood sculpting had some issues that I didn't feel like fixing. Used a rubber stamp on some green stuff to get the design and glued it in place.

Originally I thought about using the altar from one of the Bones kickstarters as a display table, but it was way too tall. I thought about cutting it down and reconfiguring it to make it the size I wanted, but realized that it would be far easier to just make my own... so I did that.

The runes I sculpted into the stonework are from the old Confrontation game's Worgen information, along with a few I came up with on the fly because they looked good. The display box is holding one of the inserrts from Rackham's treasure chest set which have a bunch of different inserts you can use. This one has a bunch of crafting tools. The containers are from Bones 2. At some point I'm going to make a little placcard to go with the altar which will read: "Evil Altar cleansed by Paladin Darius. NOT FOR SALE" - this is a nod to one of my friend's favorite characters that he played in a Pathfinder game I ran a couple years ago.

The weapons display table was also sculpted from scratch (sculpey) and I used weapons from one of Reaper's accessory packs.

Started sculptign the costume on the zombie who will be playing the part of 'Store Patron who had the piss scared out of my by the monster stepping through the wall.'

The boots are in a horrible state at the moment. I've got a bit more cleanup to do on his clothes, but he's close to finished.

For the main base I've also started roughing in the riverbed.

On the original Khanjira base there's something that looks like a shattered well or the like. I decided to have a treasure hidden inside that was revealed by the monster.

There's also a skeleton in the mud- evidence of battles long past.

I plan to add a lot more detail to the riverbed. I want a good assortment of junk, rocks, and sand to also be mixed in with the mud. There will also be some plant life and, hopefully, some fish. Findng the right kind of fish miniatures in the scale I want has been difficult.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

Nowhere near as impressive as what CreganTur has been working on, but here's what I've thrown together in the last week. I've got a pile of GW boxes sitting in the corner and only recently got the free time to work on them.

First off, a unit of Hexwraiths. A friend of mine plays Ogres so these should be a nice surprise for him.
    Spoiler
    Show

And a few new Direwolves as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Finally, a new Necromancer, made from the Empire Battle Wizards. It really is an incredibly versatile kit. I did some minor customization on this one... I removed the staff because I didn't care for how it looked and cut off the hand holding the crystal ball. In its place, I put the hand holding the skull with the candles on it, sans candles. I had also considered using the hand with the book, but liked the look of this better. Nothing major, but enough to give him a bit of personality I think. He's not actually glued onto the base yet... I'm considering doing something extra on it, but need to think of what.
    Spoiler
    Show

The camera really does pick up every little flaw, doesn't it?
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2016-01-06 at 02:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Continuing work on my Adeptus Mechanicus force...

Latest addition: Imperial Knight

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I must say, I continue to be blown away by your work CreganTur, if that piece gets painted even a 1/10th as well as it is scultped, it will easily be the most impressive bit of hobby I have ever seen. My mind is still blown by the books falling off the bookshelf by the way, it impresses me every time I see it.

Janwin, still totally digging the martian forces, they look awesome, your reds have turned out really, really nice, they really pop.

30. - Top - End - #1470

Someone knows where rhe best "Bearded Space Marines" models are?